PDA

View Full Version : Were you a Leaf or Manning Guy

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2006, 11:51 PM
I'll admit, I thought Leaf was going to be the better pro. In my defense, I was 15 at the time. I was also :drool: about the measureables that the dumb sonofabitch had at the time.

Plus, he beat USC/mecca.

Obviously we know the mangina was the correct choice, but who did you think was better at the time. No revisionist history, please.

teedubya
10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, I was always impressed with his showing at Tennessee... I was in Boston back in 1998 with Sprint doing a college promotion for Sprint Sense FONcard for college students. And Sprint gave us each a jersey from different teams to wear at this convention. I had a choice of John Elway, Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf or whoever the Bears QB was at the time.

I chose Peyton.

Demonpenz
10-26-2006, 12:56 AM
I was sold on them both.

KCChiefsMan
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I basically flipped a coin and it fell towards Leaf. I didn't know about either one of them, because at the time I didn't pay attention to college football. But we obivously know who the better QB is

Dave Lane
10-26-2006, 02:08 AM
I actually thought they would be pretty close. Leaf started out very well then the evil that is Gunther stole his soul at Arrowhead.

Dave

DaWolf
10-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Manning was the most "polished" and Leaf had the most "upside". I usually tend to lean more towards polished products than the lure of potenial.

I still maintain however that Manning is a choker...

MichaelH
10-26-2006, 05:01 AM
When drafted, I agreed that Ryan was the better QB and should go at #1. But as we know now, he's a head case of epic proportions. I think I'll still say I'm a Leaf guy now only because of the way he tore apart a division foe's team for the few years he managed to play.

one example: ROFL

Leaf's NFL career began with promise as the Chargers began the 1998 season 2-0. Although his numbers were mediocre (1 TD pass, 2 INTs), Leaf became the first rookie QB since John Elway in 1983 to win his first two starts.
The good times came to a screeching halt however, in the season's third game at Kansas City. Leaf actually completed more passes to Kansas City players, two, than he did to his own team, one. He finished the game 1-15 for 4 yards. The loss began a four game losing streak, which lead to Gilbride's dismissal. June Jones, who had been acting as the team's QB coach, was named as his replacement on an interim basis.

morphius
10-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Being that I just find college ball relatively boring and amateurish and only really watched one game at the end of the year for both players I thought that Peyton looked slow and Leaf was sort of a deep ball gun slinger. I figured the deep ball guy would be better then the guy who looked slow and pressured in the game I saw.

Bugeater
10-26-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't really remember having an opinion one way or another.

patteeu
10-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I actually thought they would be pretty close. Leaf started out very well then the evil that is Gunther stole his soul at Arrowhead.

Dave

So true. He never recovered. LMAO

BTW, I was a Leaf guy leading up to that draft.

cadmonkey
10-26-2006, 08:39 AM
I never really liked Leaf. He didn't impress me much. I thought Manning was really good and hoped he would become a great QB. Now i wish I never knew the name Manning.

RealSNR
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Manning was the most "polished" and Leaf had the most "upside". I usually tend to lean more towards polished products than the lure of potenial.

I still maintain however that Manning is a choker...According to Mecca, you would have taken Tamba Hali with the #1 overall pick if you were the Texans

NJ Chief Fan
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
ive always hated mangina

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Honestly, I didn't think either one would turn out to be more than mediocre.

Chief Faithful
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I never had a doubt about Manning and being a big fan of his father I felt Peyton had a better chance at making good in the NFL. I didn't know much about Leaf, but I don't ever remember a QB out of college getting that much good press. It was a great surprise at how bad Leaf failed in the NFL.

JBucc
10-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I was a Manning Guy because I'm an SEC homer. I thought Leaf would succeed too though.

Frazod
10-26-2006, 02:24 PM
I just remember being annoyed by the hype over both of them. It was nice to see Leaf implode early. And it's nice to see Geyton implode every January.

Psyko Tek
10-26-2006, 03:05 PM
don't watch colledge any more
I saw the bowl game with leaf VS Griese
and felt griese was the better QB
he's still sitting on someone's bench isn't he?

never saw peyton play till nfl
If it wasn't for knob slobbering commentators,
he mifght be a'ight, just hate the hype

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Leaf was the second coming of Jeff George, rocket launcher arm but a dumb as a stone scaredy cat who got rattled just smelling a D linemans after shave. And i didnt think it was possible but his attitude was even worse.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2006, 04:58 PM

I still maintain however that Manning is a choker...

Exactly how i felt.

I still maintain that Leaf had one of the biggest cannons for an arm i ever saw. Too bad he never put it all together...