PDA

View Full Version : Tiki, calls them Idiots.

kcxiv
10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Tiki torches 'idiots' for criticizing retirement decision
ESPN.com news services

Tiki Barber
Barber

Tiki Barber blasted critics of his retirement decision on his Tuesday night Sirius Satellite Radio show, "The Barber Shop."

"...I will call them idiots, because they have neither spoken to me, nor any one of my teammates or any of my coaches," Barber said. "Yet all they do is criticize me for being a distraction with this retirement thing."

Barber was specifically upset at three of his critics: the New York Daily News' Gary Myers, who wrote that Barber had "created a season-long distraction" the Giants "don't need"; and ESPN's Tom Jackson, who said the decision "has distracted the team from the task at hand," and Michael Irvin.

"To me, in my head, that's quitting," Irvin said before the Giants' 36-22 win over the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night. "That's not retiring."

Barber singled the three out during his radio show Tuesday night.

SportsNation
Do you believe Tiki Barber's retirement plans will be a distraction for the Giants?
Yes
No
"And that includes Gary Myers," he said. "That includes Tom Jackson on ESPN. That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin. Please get a clue on how to be a journalist.

"Don't make blanket assumptions about it [retirement]. And obviously, as was evidenced [Monday] night, I am a huge distraction to the New York Giants," he said.

The remarks come a week after it was first learned Barber was considering retiring after this season.

"I've been talking about retirement for years now, and it has nothing to do with being physical or money or Hall of Fame," Barber said at the time. "It's all about my desires, and for me to change them would compromise my integrity and would compromise who I am as a person and what I've always stood for."

Asked whether there was added pressure to win this year because of his plans, Barber said: "The pressure's always there, it's no different just because you guys know that I'm going to retire this year.

"I'm a diverse person," Barber said. "I have a lot of interests, and at some point it's time to execute a plan that's been in place for me for about seven and a half, eight years."

Still, Barber wouldn't commit to saying his retirement was 100 percent certain.

"It's Week 6 of the NFL season, so I won't say that," he said at the time.

However, he also said there was "nothing" that would change his mind.

Now in his 10th season, the 31-year-old Barber said that he has been banged up more this season than in any previous one and that his passion for the game has waned.

Barber, who has spoken about retiring a couple times in the past year, has a myriad interests off the field. He has worked in television and has discussed possible jobs in finance and philanthropy.

"I have a lot of interests and I've never wanted to be solely defined as a football player," said Barber, who will earn $4.15 million this season. "I wasn't that way in high school, I wasn't that way in college and I won't compromise my ideals to be that way in the National Football League."

Longtime teammate Amani Toomer believes Barber is serious about quitting after this season.

"Knowing Tiki, he is not the type of guy to just say things," Toomer said. "Whatever he says, he means."

Linebacker Brandon Short thinks the talk of Barber's will not distract the team.

"Tiki is an outstanding player and I hope he stays with the Giants and plays forever, so I can watch him play and he can help us win some championships," Short said. "Right now, our focus is the task at hand and that's the 2006 season."

ChiefsFan4Life
10-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Good job to Tiki - I just gained more respect for him

I love the "ultimate character guy" remark :)

StcChief
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Calling the Analysts Idiots...Props to Tiki.

RealSNR
10-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Of all players who have shredded us in the past, Tiki is probably my favorite player. Way to call it like it is.

And I especially love his Irvin comment ROFL

Fish
10-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Tiki seems like a very smart guy.... likable personality too..

jidar
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
With a lot of guys I would say this is a distraction that should have been avoided, but Tiki is stand-up. I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on it. If it was time for him to say it, it was time.

ChiefsFan4Life
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
With a lot of guys I would say this is a distraction that should have been avoided, but Tiki is stand-up. I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt on it. If it was time for him to say it, it was time.

I've read that he told the organization about it before the season, the media just happened to find out now which is now why it's "out"

teedubya
10-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Uh, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, had said he woeuld retire after the season... IIRC, there has been several players say they would retire after the season... and played the rest of the season.

Michael Irvin is a jackass.

King_Chief_Fan
10-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Telling your team ahead of time so that plans, trades, drafts after the season can be managed vs. waiting until training camp starts?? :shrug:

I

noa
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Props to Tiki. Anyone who criticizes him obviously hasn't been in his shoes and taken the pounding he has taken. Other positions in football, like quarterback, can play much longer and transition well into analyst jobs, but RBs take more of a beating. How can you possibly blame the guy for his long term thinking? He has a duty to his teammates on the Giants, but he doesn't have a duty to break his body and ruin his chances at a career after football.

teedubya
10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Telling your team ahead of time so that plans, trades, drafts after the season can be managed vs. waiting until training camp starts?? :shrug:

I

no shit. I like his approach better than Fathead Willie Roaf's shitty way of handling retirement.

Hootie
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
It's amazing Irvin has a job.

It's not only the fans that think he's a dumbass...apparently the players do as well. Even that one dude that thugged it out in the booth during that Miami fight called Irvin out.

Hahaha Irvin, you're going to have to go back to the "Best Damn Sports Show, Period." -- and that's in quotes for a reason.

JBucc
10-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Wooody Paige made a good point about Irvin, that he constantly defends the ultimate team distraction TO and yet hates on Tiki. Whada dumbass.

Crashride
10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Damn he nailed the michael irvin thing right on the head. About time someone other than us planeteers have the balls to call him out on his ignorance

noa
10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Wooody Paige made a good point about Irvin, that he constantly defends the ultimate team distraction TO and yet hates on Tiki. Whada dumbass.

I also liked the point he made about Earl Campbell not even being able to walk anymore and about how RBs take much more of a beating than Michael Irvin ever did.

big nasty kcnut
10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
He like the view here then seeing eli lame ass everyday.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow, am I ever out of the loop. I had no idea he was retiring.

10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Michael Irvin is an ass..I remember when DR J announced he was retiring from the 76ers in the 80's, he had a DR J farewell tour..everybody had no problem with it..these 3 should STFU..

Tiki is a stand up character guy,they are few and far between these days..

Lzen
10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
That includes the ultimate character guy, facetiously speaking of course, Michael Irvin. Please get a clue on how to be a journalist.

Tiki Barber is my hero.

Someone wanna explain to me how this is different than Jerome Bettis last year? Everyone knew Bettis was retiring yet he was still a media darling. I don't recall anyone criticizing the Bus.

Hootie
10-26-2006, 02:25 PM
It's different because Bus wasn't in his friggin' prime. Tiki is probably the best running back in the league right now...and he wants to retire. People don't understand why he'd want to turn down millions of dollars to retire when he's at the top of his game.

noa
10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
It's different because Bus wasn't in his friggin' prime. Tiki is probably the best running back in the league right now...and he wants to retire. People don't understand why he'd want to turn down millions of dollars to retire when he's at the top of his game.

People are failing to see that this is a trend. Plenty of running backs have retired in their prime, or at least when they were still capable of doing great things (Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, etc.). What Tiki wants to do is not unprecedented. Also, his teammates and coaches have known about this for a while, so anyone who thinks that this is a distraction is merely speculating.

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 02:38 PM

I
BINGO!!!!! Was his name-O.

10-26-2006, 02:42 PM

I
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/michael_silver/05/18/open.mike/p1_ricky_bergman.jpg

ct
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
football threads get a bump

Lzen
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
I saw Tiki and Ronde Barber on NFL Network last night. Pretty funny watching the 2 twin brothers talking trash on each other. They seem to be very likeable guys. Glad they're not in the AFC.

They asked Tiki about the criticisms. He just said that nobody talked with his coaches or teammates and that they're all fine with it. He seems like a guy that knows exactly where he's going. Good for him.

Molitoth
10-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I think Tiki is doing the right thing because:

A) His team can prepare in the offseason for a Runningback. (Thanks Willie Roaf)

B) He is trying to motivate his team to win the superbowl THIS YEAR while they have a good runningback.