PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye To Daylight-Saving Time

Donger
10-27-2006, 07:53 AM
WASHINGTON -- Most Americans will get a chance at an extra hour of sleep this weekend, as the clocks fall back to standard time.

It's the last time this will happen in October.

Thanks to a law passed last year, daylight-saving time will start earlier and end later beginning in 2007. It will last from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

The clock change switches an hour of daylight from evening to morning, meaning drivers will need to be extra careful on Halloween night to be sure of avoiding excited little trick-or-treaters.

The official change occurs at 2 a.m. Sunday, though most folks will make the change before going to bed Saturday night.

Some states and territories don't observe daylight-saving time and won't have to worry about changing their clocks. Those are Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Marianas.

Daylight-saving time returns next March 11.

chagrin
10-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Could you repeat that please?

Donger
10-27-2006, 07:56 AM

Sure.

WASHINGTON -- Most Americans will get a chance at an extra hour of sleep this weekend, as the clocks fall back to standard time.

It's the last time this will happen in October.

Thanks to a law passed last year, daylight-saving time will start earlier and end later beginning in 2007. It will last from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

The clock change switches an hour of daylight from evening to morning, meaning drivers will need to be extra careful on Halloween night to be sure of avoiding excited little trick-or-treaters.

The official change occurs at 2 a.m. Sunday, though most folks will make the change before going to bed Saturday night.

Some states and territories don't observe daylight-saving time and won't have to worry about changing their clocks. Those are Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Marianas.

Daylight-saving time returns next March 11.

Kyle401
10-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Does anyone else hate "standard" time? I would much rather have an extra hour of light in the evening than in the morning. It's just way too depressing to walk into my office with barely any light in the morning and leave in the dark at night.

ptlyon
10-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Does anyone else hate "standard" time? I would much rather have an extra hour of light in the evening than in the morning. It's just way too depressing to walk into my office with barely any light in the morning and leave in the dark at night.

Move to Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam or the Northern Marianas.

sedated
10-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Move to Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam or the Northern Marianas.

aren't those the states that DON'T have daylight savings, therefore have only standard time?

he said he hates standard time, and I agree.

we should remain on daylight savings year around, it gets dark at 5:30pm and the day already feels over.

JBucc
10-27-2006, 08:12 AM
How do those states not observe daylight savings time? Wouldn't their clocks be all screwed up to everyone esle's?

Kyle401
10-27-2006, 08:12 AM
aren't those the states that DON'T have daylight savings, therefore have only standard time?

he said he hates standard time, and I agree.

we should remain on daylight savings year around, it gets dark at 5:30pm and the day already feels over.

Exactly, maybe if Rainman does a poll and the results are favorable we can get our legislators to change the law. Mecca and Logical can be our lobbyists.

Kyle401
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
How do those states not observe daylight savings time? Wouldn't their clocks be all screwed up to everyone esle's?

I think that they swing between time zones (i.e. Arizona may be on mountain time or pacific time depending on the time of year.)

ptlyon
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Yeah - after I posted it I noticed my error, but who cares, it's Friday...

Archie F. Swin
10-27-2006, 08:20 AM
"Winter Foreward, Fall Back" just doesn't have the same ring to it

chiefqueen
10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Why doesn't the Gov't just say DST begins on Selection Sunday and ends on the Sunday after Halloween beginning next year. That's easier to understand.

kcfanintitanhell
10-27-2006, 08:25 AM
I especially feel for the folks living in the eastern part of a time zone when DST goes away. When I lived in Nashville, it would start getting dark at 4:00.
:shake:

ptlyon
10-27-2006, 08:32 AM
In other news, say hello to day 06300...

Donger
10-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I think that they swing between time zones (i.e. Arizona may be on mountain time or pacific time depending on the time of year.)

I don't believe that's correct. They simply don't use DST. They always are on Mountain Time, but they never adjust their clocks for DST.

chiefqueen
10-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I especially feel for the folks living in the eastern part of a time zone when DST goes away. When I lived in Nashville, it would start getting dark at 4:00.
:shake:

I lived in CT 3 years in Nov./Dec./Jan. the sun would set @ 4:20.

Donger
10-27-2006, 08:34 AM
"Winter Foreward, Fall Back" just doesn't have the same ring to it

ROFL

InChiefsHeaven
10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't believe that's correct. They simply don't use DST. They always are on Mountain Time, but they never adjust their clocks for DST.

Yup. They don't adjust, so the world has to adjust to them. If you are passing through AZ, the signs pretty much tell you that they do not observe DST, so you need to set your watch accordingly. Actually, I always thought that was pretty cool.

Saulbadguy
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM

JBucc
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Yup. They don't adjust, so the world has to adjust to them. If you are passing through AZ, the signs pretty much tell you that they do not observe DST, so you need to set your watch accordingly. Actually, I always thought that was pretty cool.What a bunch of dicks. I think I'm going to put a sign up in my house saying I don't observe DST so I can leave work an hour early.

Donger
10-27-2006, 08:43 AM

I missed something, apparently.

Smed1065
10-27-2006, 08:54 AM
The Current Time in Arizona is:Friday 10/27/2006 7:54 am MST Arizona is in the
Mountain Time Zone http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/clearpixel.gifhttp://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/clearpixel.gifArizona does not observe Daylight Saving Time.

Donger
10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Ha! I knew it. DST to ENDelt is like a wriggling worm to a bass.

InChiefsHeaven
10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
What a bunch of dicks. I think I'm going to put a sign up in my house saying I don't observe DST so I can leave work an hour early.

Here here!

Donger
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
If you missed me and wanted to say hi, you could've just called.

I fail to see the humor in doing that. Plus, this was my annual PSA.

Kyle401
10-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Precisely.

Kyle401, while you're not very bright, at least you're not alone. There's lots of idiots here that can't manage to wrap their heads around the concept. I don't know what the f*ck is so challenging about it.

Mr. ENDelt260,

Thank you so much for the generous compliment. Arguing over DST may be the type of thing that blows your skirt up, but I really don't care.

Not very bright,
Kyle401

carlos3652
10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Man, I used to live in AZ as a youngster 4-12 years of age, and I had never learned of Daylight Savings Time...

Then I moved back to Argentina where they dont have DST either... (Venezuela and Bolivia are the other 2 that dont observe (sp?) this in SA)...

I finally learned about it in Kansas (when I was 17)... I was a slow learner as well...

Pennywise
10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
DST in Arizona isn't that bad. It's a 'dry' daylight time.

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
An extra hour of drinking.

StcChief
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Exactly, maybe if Rainman does a poll and the results are favorable we can get our legislators to change the law. Mecca and Logical can be our lobbyists.

I don't see an advantage anymore. This was for farm economy.

Mecca is in Monkey trial and may not be eligable.

BIG_DADDY
10-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Man, I used to live in AZ as a youngster 4-12 years of age, and I had never learned of Daylight Savings Time...

Then I moved back to Argentina where they dont have DST either... (Venezuela and Bolivia are the other 2 that dont observe (sp?) this in SA)...

I finally learned about it in Kansas (when I was 17)... I was a slow learner as well...

How did you like living in Argentina?

Demonpenz
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
daylight savings time arrrg

carlos3652
10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Remember to Change back the clock tonight!

Ultra Peanut
10-28-2006, 09:37 PM
**** Daylight Savings Time in the ****ing nostrils.

STANDARD TIME GETS THE LAST LAUGH

KChiefs1
10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
What time is it now in Hawaii?

Ultra Peanut
10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
What time is it now in Hawaii?This o'clock: