PDA

View Full Version : Would you say St. Louis is the better sports town now?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-27-2006, 09:35 PM
They have won a Super Bowl and a World Series in just under a decade. The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 13 years, and we all know the Royals suck.

Thoughts?

Ultra Peanut
10-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Raleigh is Hockeytown USA.

Direckshun
10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
If a sports town was measured in the success of its teams, than yes. Who the hell would say no?

If a sports town was measured based on its continued passion for the teams that represent it, it gets more complicated. Chiefs fans beat the tar out of Rams fans, and Cardinals fans beat the tar out of Royals fans.

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 09:39 PM
SUCK IT!

kcxiv
10-27-2006, 09:43 PM
In Terms of success, easy.

Mr. Kotter
10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
KC has some catch-up to do....

:shake:

:banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't even bring up the fans. No one cares about that, sadly, and the results say it all...St. Louis is more successful.

And yes, we have a lot of catching up to do!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-27-2006, 09:54 PM
You guys are on the right path. I can finally let '85 go. Good luck to the Royals, and I wish you best unless you run up against us.

teedubya
10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
SUCK IT!

You are a kinky girl.... woo hoo.

Logical
10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Actually as a general statement yes. I would say KC has better Pro football fans, but that is the limit to it.

tk13
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Well heck, what other sports town would KC beat over the last decade? Anybody? I can't think of one that hasn't had some sports success.

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
You guys are on the right path. I can finally let '85 go. Good luck to the Royals, and I wish you best unless you run up against us.
Like that isn't the most trite, condescending bullshit I've ever heard. Cards fans are never going to change. :shake:

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know why every hates St. Louis-it is a great place to hang out. It beats KC across the board. I will be down there next week to see the Chiefs kick some Ram azz.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't know why every hates St. Louis-it is a great place to hang out. It beats KC across the board. I will be down there next week to see the Chiefs kick some Ram azz.

If you play your Rush CDs, I'm sure we'll lose. :)

VonneMarie
I don't know about that. I was down there a month ago and didn't see chit.

Reaper16
I like St. Louis, myself. I've got no beef wit the city itself.

WilliamTheIrish
10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
How could you not say that it's a better sports town.

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't know about that. I was down there a month ago and didn't see chit.

The Arch, the brewery with free beer, the Riverfront area, Union Station, new Baseball stadium, a kickass zoo that actually has animals in it, musuems. Are you sure you were in St. Louis?

A majority of KC fans are fair weather fans that whine and bitch too much and they also leave early during Chiefs games.

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 10:21 PM
The Arch, the brewery with free beer, the Riverfront area, Union Station, new Baseball stadium, a kickass zoo that actually has animals in it, musuems. Are you sure you were in St. Louis?

A majority of KC fans are fair weather fans that whine and bitch too much and they also leave early during Chiefs games.
Die in a fire, plz.

Deberg_1990
10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I dont know...would you say New York is a better sports town since the Yankees have more titles than the Cards??

Thoughts???

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Like that isn't the most trite, condescending bullshit I've ever heard. Cards fans are never going to change. :shake:

Well, so much for a truce. :bang:

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Die in a fire, plz.

Nice. Just saying-a lot of fans leave early at games and only support the teams when they are winning.

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 10:26 PM
There are lots of cool things to do in KC, but you have to live here to know about them. KC has had poor leadership for decades just like the Royals.

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 10:27 PM

KC has all that but the arch, brewery, stadium and the zoo. :p

Seriously tho, KC is a great city and no outsider is gonna tell me otherwise.

http://www2.kumc.edu/Kids/recruit/Images/unionskyline400.jpg

10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Ummmm, NO!

RedThat
10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, overall Im probably going to have to say St.Louis.

Sure they've won 2 championships in 2 different sports. Im sure that'll keep the people there interested and following sports more.

Plus, they also have their hockey, and KC doesn't.

But, I have to say we have a waaay better football town I think. It's tough to beat the environment, crowd, and just the overall atmosphere that the people of Kansas and Missouri bring to the Chiefs.

you know what guys? keep it up man. you've created yourselves a great football town. you cheer your asses off at every home chief game. Im personally not from Kansas city myself, but when I see those kinda things it shows that you guys love your chiefs. And even just seeing how everybody wears that colour red...its just awesome, and something unique to watch...I'll bet your bbq and beer is good too...i give you guys credit. you make kansas city a well respected football town. No wonder Arrowhead is one of the loudest and toughest stadiums to play? :thumb:

dtebbe
10-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Suck Ft. Louis!

DT

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, overall Im probably going to have to say St.Louis.

Sure they've won 2 championships in 2 different sports. Im sure that'll keep the people there interested and following sports more.

Plus, they also have their hockey, and KC doesn't.

But, I have to say we have a waaay better football town I think. It's tough to beat the environment, crowd, and just the overall atmosphere that the people of Kansas and Missouri bring to the Chiefs.

you know what guys? keep it up man. you've created yourselves a great football town. you cheer your asses off at every home chief game. Im personally not from Kansas city myself, but when I see those kinda things it shows that you guys love your chiefs. And even just seeing how everybody wears that colour red...its just awesome, and something unique to watch...I'll bet your bbq and beer is good too...i give you guys credit. you make kansas city a well respected football town. No wonder Arrowhead is one of the loudest and toughest stadiums to play? :thumb:

Excellent post! It used to be that way for the Royals too. I went to tons of games and also some Playoff games-but they F#CKED it all up. I really can't stand Glass. I only go now it I have free tickets. I mean who wants to go watch a team 27 games back? Only fun part is walking around the empty place and getting to sit wherever you want while Slugger shoots out t-shirts to the 400 fans.

This is a Football town.
Tailgating at Arrowhead makes the whole day-that is the funnest part, drinking, cooking, hanging with family and friends. After next week I will be able to tell ya if the Rams have a better deal-right now I am doubtful.

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, so much for a truce. :bang:
Oh, I had to add some negativity to this redbird lovefest. :) It did come across as a smidge condescending to me, though. I've already said my congratulatory piece earlier today to the fans that deserve it, you included.

But, of course, there can be no truce. You don't have the nightmare offseason of bandwagon fans giving you shit to look forward to. I can't even counter with the standby "The Royals have won a WS more recently than you" line. I don't know what I'm going to do, short of punching people smooth out.

petegz28
10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Let's see...Royals vs. Cards in World Series.Wnner KC

The last time the Rams beat the Chiefs they were still in L.A.

Nevermind the state gives more money to St. Louis, the Rams play in the weakest division in football and the Cards are in a much wearker division in baseball. Not that the Royals are better but that's al they can say.

St. Louis is such a sports town they had to make a dome for their football team the flipping sissies!

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Let's see...Royals vs. Cards in World Series.Wnner KC

The last time the Rams beat the Chiefs they were still in L.A.

Nevermind the state gives more money to St. Louis, the Rams play in the weakest division in football and the Cards are in a much wearker division in baseball. Not that the Royals are better but that's al they can say.

St. Louis is such a sports town they had to make a dome for their football team the flipping sissies!
St.Loser gets all the state funding. :mad:

Frazod
10-27-2006, 10:59 PM
God I wish this f#cking thread hadn't been posted.

I know the state is full of asshole Cardinal fans - I here people bitching about them all the time. BUT NONE OF THEM ARE HERE.

Can't we all be happy about this for just one friggin night?

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Absolutely not. :p

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:01 PM
God I wish this f#cking thread hadn't been posted.

I know the state is full of asshole Cardinal fans - I here people bitching about them all the time. BUT NONE OF THEM ARE HERE.

NO!

How can you of all people stand being a fan of both teams?

It's sickening, sickening I tell you. :cuss:

petegz28
10-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Suppan got rocked in KC and is a hero in St. Louis. That should say something about the 2 leagues.

Frazod
10-27-2006, 11:04 PM
NO!

I always rooted for both of them for as long as I can remember. Long before '85. When I was kid growing up in the middle of the state, they got equal time on TV. It just made sense, and nobody ever questioned it. AND THEY NEVER PLAYED EACH OTHER until 1985, when I was 20 years old.

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
NO!

A fan of both is a true fan of neither. Just picking a team to follow because they win is disgusting. In my ignorant youth, my cousin tired to recruit me to the realm of Cowboys fandom, when thet Cowboys had thier great early 90's run. My father and grandfather did the right thing and quickly taught me the error of my ways.

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Only thing St.Loser is good for is...

http://www.endi.com/XStatic/endi/images/espanol/20061022_DepBEI_927154.jpg

YADIER MOLINA! :drool:

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I always rooted for both of them for as long as I can remember. Long before '85. When I was kid growing up in the middle of the state, they got equal time on TV. It just made sense, and nobody ever questioned it. AND THEY NEVER PLAYED EACH OTHER until 1985, when I was 20 years old.
Pick one! You can't be a fan of both. :banghead:

*EDIT* I suppose you're a Lambs fan too?

Frazod
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
A fan of both is a true fan of neither. Just picking a team to follow because they win is disgusting. In my ignorant youth, my cousin tired to recruit me to the realm of Cowboys fandom, when thet Cowboys had thier great early 90's run. My father and grandfather did the right thing and quickly taught me the error of my ways.

So now there are two experts on "real fans"; you and Carl Peterson. That's nice. :shake:

Frazod
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Pick one! You can't be a fan of both. :banghead:

*EDIT* I suppose you're a Lambs fan too?

DID I GROW UP IN F#CKING LOS ANGELES? NO.

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
ROFL

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 11:15 PM
You know you're a Dodgers fan, too. Don't deny it. After all, what harm is a third team? Or a fourth? :p

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
You know you're a Dodgers fan, too. Don't deny it. After all, what harm is a third team? Or a fourth? :p
I bet he's a Blues fan, too. :hmmm:

PastorMikH
NO!

I grew up in Columbia Missouri (until I was 20 in 1989). In football, first there was the StL Cardinals, no one rooted for them because they always lost. Then there was no football team (which actually was an improvement). So basically everyone rooted for the Chiefs when I was there.

As far as baseball, everyone I knew in Columbia were Cardinals fans (until the fall of 1985 when all of a sudden Royals fans starting showing up anyway). I loved watching Ozzie Smith play BTW.

dtebbe
NO!

I grew up in mid-missouri. My mom loved the Royals, but we server boys got to go to a Cardinals game free every year. So, I was a Cards fan growing up, since they gave us free tickets. The baseball strike turned me off to baseball, so I really don't care for any teams now. And since St. Louis is the liberal wart on the ass of Missouri... I pretty much hate anything St. Louis. The arch could blow down in a tornado tomorrow and here is how much I'd care

DT

kcxiv
10-27-2006, 11:19 PM
in the end, the only thing that counts with teams, is if they can win.

Logical
10-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I dont know...would you say New York is a better sports town since the Yankees have more titles than the Cards??

Thoughts???NY is definitely a top sports city, no question about the loyalty of its fans and all those titles certainly help.

VonneMarie
10-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Somebody close this f#cking thread. :mad:

RedThat
10-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Excellent post! It used to be that way for the Royals too. I went to tons of games and also some Playoff games-but they F#CKED it all up. I really can't stand Glass. I only go now it I have free tickets. I mean who wants to go watch a team 27 games back? Only fun part is walking around the empty place and getting to sit wherever you want while Slugger shoots out t-shirts to the 400 fans.

This is a Football town.
Tailgating at Arrowhead makes the whole day-that is the funnest part, drinking, cooking, hanging with family and friends. After next week I will be able to tell ya if the Rams have a better deal-right now I am doubtful.

Hey man I dont blame ya. It's tough to watch your Royals, especially when they lose. but the good thing is, at least your trying your best to support them?

Lol...I can imagine it being easier to find seats there because not too many people go watch the games it's probably easier to get seats up close? I guess security is not strict if you were to come sit down at 100 level? I take it.

I definately agree with you halfcan. KC is a football town for sure. Been there to watch a game live before. The tailgating is the best I've seen out of any other stadium I've been to. It did nothing but leave a good impression on me. The fans in KC care about there football. They've been able to keep the team there in KC for the next 25 years.

And Im proud! The counties are letting it be known, they've invested a lot of time, effort, money, and dedication to the city, team, football stadium itself.

The fans LOVE the Chiefs and so do the people in the city, state... It's great to see man. We always usually sellout, and cheer our asses off for them.... We're letting it be known to Lamar Hunt and family that our heart lies with the Chiefs, we appreciate him bringing the Chiefs here, and we support him all the way! Now lets see a championship baby!

kcxiv
10-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Like i posted on another thread about 2 weeks ago, the cold hard facts.

Since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl in Jan. 1970 they have had a total of 13 playoff game appearances and 3 playoff wins. We are near the bottom in both categories. Teams like Tampa who in 1976 went 0-14 has had more playoff wins, The Browns and Bungles have had more playoff wins. Expansion teams like Carolina and Jacksonville have had more playoff wins. Most teams have gotten into at least 1 Super Bowl since we were last there. The team we beat in Super bowl IV, the Vikings, managed to recover and make an additional 38 playoff game appearances. What the hell happened?

Folks, we are only slightly above the Saints, Lions, Cardinals and Texans in playoff futility (Can we throw out the texans who haven't been in the league that long?). Is it little wonder that some folks on the board are getting frustrated already after 5 games? It just feels like more of the same old stuff. I would love to bury my head in the sand and say we have a shot at the Super Bowl every year. I stopped doing that after about 30 seasons had passed. I love the Chiefs. They are my team and I support them no matter what. But I have to come to grips with the fact we are not an elite program and have not been for some time. Far from it...we are right there with the Saints, Lions and Cardinals of the NFL and it stinks..

Mr. Kotter
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
NY is definitely a top sports city, no question about the loyalty of its fans and all those titles certainly help.

Fukk N.Y. :rolleyes:

And, that's being nice about it....:)

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 11:34 PM
NO!

How can you be a fan of the Royals? I don't think the Cards fans are going to worried about the 85 series from now on.

Reaper16
10-27-2006, 11:38 PM
How can you be a fan of the Royals?
Because, through the highest highs and the lowest lows, the Royals are our baseball team. Our one, singular baseball team. No divided loyalty.

Logical
10-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Fukk N.Y. :rolleyes:

And, that's being nice about it....:)Hey I am not a NY fan. But if you have met Yankee, Giant and Jet fans they are loyal to a fault and they turn out for their teams. The Mets fans are little more lukewarm but they still top Royal fans. No one can question the fandom of Ranger and Knick fans though titles are not exactly common for Knick fans.

Halfcan
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
If we get and NBA and NHL team, plus the Chiefs start winning some games in the Playoffs-we might move up the ladder as a Sports Town. The Royals are a hopeless cause as long as Glass is the owner.

Mr. Kotter
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey I am not a NY fan. But if you have met Yankee, Giant and Jet fans they are loyal to a fault and they turn out for their teams. The Mets fans are little more lukewarm but they still top Royal fans. No one can question the fandom of Ranger and Knick fans though titles are not exactly common for Knick fans.

I understand what you are saying, Jim. But still....

Fukk N.Y. :cuss:

I mean, part of the "perception" of their "loyalty" stems from the fact that their Metro area is.....20 times larger in population than KC or SD. I mean, seriously.....you take our best fans and multiple that by a population of 20 times, and you'd have the BEST fans in Football. No doubt about it, in my mind..... :)

greg63
10-27-2006, 11:45 PM
They have won a Super Bowl and a World Series in just under a decade. The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 13 years, and we all know the Royals suck.

Thoughts?

I stopped keeping track. :p

Logical
10-27-2006, 11:48 PM

I mean, part of the "perception" of their "loyalty" stems from the fact that their Metro area is.....20 times larger in population than KC or SD. I mean, seriously.....you take our best fans and multiple that by a population of 20 times, and you'd have the BEST fans in Football. No doubt about it, in my mind..... :)

Hey other than Green Bay I doubt there are too many NFL cities with better football fans than KC. But we are talking the spectrum here not just one sport.

luv
10-28-2006, 12:12 AM

http://www2.kumc.edu/Kids/recruit/Images/unionskyline400.jpg
St Louis has more tourist attractions. I think that KC would be homier though. Much better BBQ. I've never been to the Plaza, but I hear it's nice, especially at Christmas.

I may be a Cardinals fan, but I don't follow them like I used to when Ozzie played. Chiefs are definitely my team. To me, football wins out over baseball anyday. Too many people in St Louis, too.

teedubya
10-28-2006, 12:24 AM
St Louis has been to 2 superbowl in last 7 years and 2 World Series in last 3 years.

**** St. Louis.

tk13
10-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Because, through the highest highs and the lowest lows, the Royals are our baseball team. Our one, singular baseball team. No divided loyalty.
I always scratch my head at that question. What have the Chiefs given us that the Royals haven't in the last 20 years or so? I mean, I don't like one more than the other, they're pretty much equal to me.... but it's not like the Chiefs are tearing down the goalposts every year either. Most fans under 25 years old probably only remember one or two playoff appearances to begin with, and they were both disasters. I would just like for one of them to do something, anything.

ChiefsCountry
10-28-2006, 01:05 AM
You guys are forgeting about college basketball and football. KC blows St. Louis out of the water when it comes to supporting college sports. Big 12 sporting events rock when they come here.

Also don't forget NASCAR. Which does really well in KC. So it could be argued that KC has the 3 top sporting franchises - NFL, NASCAR, and MLB.

I know the Royals get a bad rap, and they deserve so. But would St. Louis still support the Cardinals if there team was blown up and basically littered with minor leaguers and journeymen? I think attendance would be down quite a bit if that happened as well.

And one last thing, wait till Sprint Center and the renovations to Sports Complex are done and try to sell KC short with those facilities. It will be hard to do.

Valiant
10-28-2006, 02:03 AM

Were you even old enough to know what baseball was then???

|Zach|
10-28-2006, 02:18 AM
I always scratch my head at that question. What have the Chiefs given us that the Royals haven't in the last 20 years or so? I mean, I don't like one more than the other, they're pretty much equal to me.... but it's not like the Chiefs are tearing down the goalposts every year either. Most fans under 25 years old probably only remember one or two playoff appearances to begin with, and they were both disasters. I would just like for one of them to do something, anything.
Hey now.

I am 23 and have been to the last 2 Chiefs playoff wins.

Otter
10-28-2006, 02:20 AM
They have won a Super Bowl and a World Series in just under a decade. The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 13 years

ROFL

There are still people trying to figure out why the Chiefs don't get air time on ESPN. I'm not going to begin and try and expalin this one.

I'm sure the breathtaking ambiance at Arrowhead makes up for it all however.

CHENZ A!
10-28-2006, 02:48 AM
**** St Louis and their wine and cheesers they are the worst team to ever win it and selig and steinbrenner will be stupid enough to call this parody, just because a crappy team with a high payroll wins it

tk13
10-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Hey now.

I am 23 and have been to the last 2 Chiefs playoff wins.
And you were what, 10? I guess you'd remember but not quite as clearly as something you'd remember when you're older I guess.

And even then, that's all we've got. KC has zero playoff success over the last decade plus. I'm going through trying to think of cities that would match up. I'm having a hard time thinking of any. Washington DC maybe, although the Skins won a playoff game last year. Cincinnati is about the only one I think comes close, and the Reds won in the playoffs and made it to the NLCS in 95. But that and the Bengals last year are their only two playoff teams in recent memory. Just about everybody else has a team or two that's made a run... even some of the one-team cities. I don't know, I could be forgetting a few, I hadn't really thought about it before but it's kind of sad.

Ultra Peanut
10-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Most of my memories of Chiefs playoff games involve me crying.

Ralphy Boy
10-28-2006, 03:21 AM
If a sports town was measured in the success of its teams, than yes. Who the hell would say no?

If a sports town was measured based on its continued passion for the teams that represent it, it gets more complicated. Chiefs fans beat the tar out of Rams fans, and Cardinals fans beat the tar out of Royals fans.

And in that regard, Boston has them both beat.

CHENZ A!
10-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Why isn't liking the Royals as sexy as liking the bitch ass Cubs?

DaWolf
10-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Yes, but of course the Royals haven't had prolonged success since 1990, so that doesn't help.

We are head and shoulders a better football town...

Chief Henry
10-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Don't forget, STL has the Bowling Hall of Fame !!!

luv
10-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Don't forget, STL has the Bowling Hall of Fame !!!
Is that still there? I faintly remember going there as a kid.

Demonpenz
10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
lly Ray Cyrus has a schedule this week that many pro athletes would envy.

After performing at the Nashville Predators game Saturday, he sang at the Cleveland Browns game Sunday and joins his daughter, Miley, on the national anthem Wednesday at World Series game four. After that comes an appearance at the Utah Jazz game.

Much of the demand centers around his new single, "I Want My Mullet Back." Billy Ray judged a mullet contest at the Predators game, and when news spread about that, about eight other pro hockey teams called to book him for the same thing.

"I am supposed to be on break," he says, referring to his shooting hiatus from "Hannah Montana," the Disney show in which he and Miley star. "But I take a break, and I am the busiest I've been in years."

"It reminds me of the 'Achy Breaky' days," he says of his first hit. "I feel like things are going so fast."

It's appropriate that he's touring sports arenas because he got the song idea while watching a Boston Red Sox game. "Johnny Damon stepped up to the plate and had that major mullet going on," he says. "I thought, 'I want my mullet back.' I just grabbed my guitar and sang, 'I want my mullet back, my old Camaro and my eight-track,' just thinking about things when it was a simpler time."

Miley, who has been on tour with the Cheetah Girls, releases her own album this week, which means father and daughter will have their albums in the same stores. "I would say hers will be a little closer to the front!" he says.

Trent Tomlinson helps bridge downtown and Music Row

Trent Tomlinson and a Nashville Symphony brass ensemble will help celebrate Wednesday's opening (five months earlier than expected) of the new Demonbreun Street bridge. The public is invited to gather at the bridge's east side, near Cummins Station and the Frist Center, at 5:15 p.m. Mayor Bill Purcell and TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely will cut the ribbon about 5:40 p.m.

The free block party will continue on the viaduct's other end, where Trent will deliver a free concert in front of Lyric Street Records.

Mayor Bill says the bridge is an important link between downtown and Music Row, one that should strengthen the city's entire arts community. And personally, it means he won't have to hear his wife, Debbie Miller, gripe anymore about the closure, which has made her daily commute from east Nashville to Vanderbilt more difficult since 2004. "Not after Wednesday," he jokes. "That isn't the only reason we built the bridge, but it is a pretty good benefit."

The first lady, and the rest of us, will be able to drive over the bridge about 8 p.m.

A Broadway Meets Country contest

A spectacular event called Broadway Meets Country is attracting Broadway stars such as Ben Vereen, Peter Gallagher, Brian Stokes Mitchell and Felicia Fields, as well as country performers such as Lee Ann Womack, Trisha Yearwood, Chris Young, Joe Nichols, Josh Gracin, Phil Vassar and Raul Malo.

Jane Krakowski and Barbara Mandrell are serving as co-hosts for the TPAC benefit concert on Oct. 30, in which Broadway stars sing country hits, and vice versa.

One lucky Tennessean reader will win two VIP orchestra tickets and passes to the the cast reception, a gift worth $1,000.

Reba McEntire took the Big Apple by storm in "Annie Get Your Gun." What other country star would you like to see star in a Broadway musical? If you are 18 and a resident of Tennessee or Kentucky, please e-mail your suggestion, which should include the country star, the musical's name and why they would be perfect for the role, as well as your name and phone number, to tennesseancontest@tennessean.com, by Thursday at 10 a.m.

DomerNKC
10-28-2006, 09:02 AM

http://www2.kumc.edu/Kids/recruit/Images/unionskyline400.jpgand if kansas city could get the whole state of missouri to pay for everything, we could have all of those too.

synthesis2
10-28-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't agree.

KC is much better in terms of NFL, thats a no brainer.

But for baseball I think KC is much better as well. We just have had absolutly nothing to cheer for. If the Cards lost over a 100 games three years in a row and basically were out of the race every year a month into the season they would have 10,000 or so fans show up.

Look back at the 80's when all of the games were sold out every day. People who live in Kansas City are passionate about their teams, but the reason we all are the way we are when it comes to sports is because your team reflects your town. When you win the World Series or Superbowl, for at least one day the entire nation is looking at St. Louis etc. And it makes you proud that you live their.

On the other hand when you loose year after year and never even snif the playoffs it also reflects on you. When people start laughing at your team because of how bad you are then you don't care as much because if you care then you start to feel like your city is a disgrace.

I know Cardinal Fans will say, it would never happen to us, we have the most loyal fans, yada yada yada, but thats simply not how it works. In todays society that is full of "Please US NOW" loosing for a decade just won't cut it and no matter who you are, you will eventually loose interest in your team.

Right now they are standing on top of the world and for at least a few more days people around the nation are going to be talking about the Cards and that makes them feel good. Not that it is neccessarly the Cards but because they are talking about St. Louis as being " The Best" and everyone wants to be a part of that feeling.

Overall, I feel KC has the best fans compared with St. Louis but its a completly unfair comparison because of the last 20+ years of loosing.

luv
10-28-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't think the question is about fandom. If that were the case, KC would win hands down. As for being a sports town, I would lean towards St Louis. That's only because they have more pro teams.

milkman
10-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't agree.

KC is much better in terms of NFL, thats a no brainer.

But for baseball I think KC is much better as well. We just have had absolutly nothing to cheer for. If the Cards lost over a 100 games three years in a row and basically were out of the race every year a month into the season they would have 10,000 or so fans show up.

Look back at the 80's when all of the games were sold out every day. People who live in Kansas City are passionate about their teams, but the reason we all are the way we are when it comes to sports is because your team reflects your town. When you win the World Series or Superbowl, for at least one day the entire nation is looking at St. Louis etc. And it makes you proud that you live their.

On the other hand when you loose year after year and never even snif the playoffs it also reflects on you. When people start laughing at your team because of how bad you are then you don't care as much because if you care then you start to feel like your city is a disgrace.

I know Cardinal Fans will say, it would never happen to us, we have the most loyal fans, yada yada yada, but thats simply not how it works. In todays society that is full of "Please US NOW" loosing for a decade just won't cut it and no matter who you are, you will eventually loose interest in your team.

Right now they are standing on top of the world and for at least a few more days people around the nation are going to be talking about the Cards and that makes them feel good. Not that it is neccessarly the Cards but because they are talking about St. Louis as being " The Best" and everyone wants to be a part of that feeling.

Overall, I feel KC has the best fans compared with St. Louis but its a completly unfair comparison because of the last 20+ years of loosing.

I'd bet that losing has something to do with it, as well.

luv
10-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I'd bet that losing has something to do with it, as well.
LOL

I was thinking the same thing.

StcChief
10-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Baseball - yes

Football - no (bunch of bandwagonners)

Hockey - I don't care they have a good base of fans, but everybody makes playoffs as the ended their longest stint of consecutive appearances.

CHENZ A!
10-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think the question is about fandom. If that were the case, KC would win hands down. As for being a sports town, I would lean towards St Louis. That's only because they have more pro teams.

right, but noone really cares about hockey anyway, plus we have the Wizards and STL has no soccer team. :)

Also, KC is a much better city when it comes to college sports.

Frazod
10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
They had a gay pride parade in St. Louis the other day. Course, there they just call it Tuesday.

You're funny when you're bitter. :p

Chief Henry
10-28-2006, 10:55 AM
It's sweet that they'd let a guy with Downs Syndrome play for them.

Thats not even close to being funny...

StcChief
10-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Chill.... It's not good to be bitter and jeolous.

I as just happy to get to WS.
Expected the Tigers to win in 6.

We were hot and they were not.
24 years is long time....and to be the underdog and upset them Win at home, was incredible.

StcChief
10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Blow it out your ass.

Thanks don't mind if do.

Beer farts very enjoyable after the WS WIN. A feel a good dump in the making.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Have you ever visited Manhattan and walked around? The people wear Jets, Giants, Yankees and Mets hats 24-7 (with the exception of the businesses people from 9-5). Street vendors, kids, Moms, etc. Sports are a HUGE deal in NYC. The Jets have pretty much been awful forever and yet they sell out, have very passionate fans, etc. Same with the Mets. You guys think that KC-STL is a rivalry? Yankees-Mets or Giants-Jets fans are crazy! It's the same freakin' city! It's nothing like the passionless 49er/Raider fans or Giants/A's fans. It's intense. And I think it's ridiculous to catagorize it as a "population" thing. It's a popularity thing.

Given your thesis that you'd take a 20x larger population, wouldn't Los Angeles have had the *BEST* fans in football since the LA Basin is home to over 20 million people? It just doesn't work that way.

VonneMarie
10-28-2006, 12:46 PM
It's sweet that they'd let a guy with Downs Syndrome play for them.
SUCK IT, BITCH!

VonneMarie
10-28-2006, 12:48 PM
and if kansas city could get the whole state of missouri to pay for everything, we could have all of those too.
Excellent point.

VonneMarie
10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
St Louis has more tourist attractions. I think that KC would be homier though. Much better BBQ. I've never been to the Plaza, but I hear it's nice, especially at Christmas.

I may be a Cardinals fan, but I don't follow them like I used to when Ozzie played. Chiefs are definitely my team. To me, football wins out over baseball anyday. Too many people in St Louis, too.
I agree. Everyone knows football (NFL) is the king sport.