PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jean Dye Kills Cancer Cells???

10-28-2006, 02:03 PM
UK researchers are employing tiny gold "nanoparticles", 1/5000th the thickness of a human hair, to deliver the chemical compound directly into cancer cells, tearing them apart instantly.

The common dye found in blue jeans and ballpoint pens is called phthalocyanine and is a light-activated, or photosensitive, agent with cell-destroying properties.

This has been known for at least 15 years but, until now, scientists have not been able to successfully deliver it into cells; hence there's no harm in wearing blue jeans.

The University of East Anglia (UEA) team used the gold particles as "trojan horses". Their small size enables them to easily enter cells, and the phthalocyanine is taken up along with them.

When pulsed with laser light, the compound produces a highly reactive form of oxygen which causes the cancer cells to commit suicide.

Cancer cells are too greedy for their own good

Dr David Russell
UEA's Dr David Russell explained: "Because this compound does not dissolve in water, it is difficult to get it into cells. But this 'fat soluble' property is precisely what makes it a great potential therapy.

"We have shown using nanotechnology that we can get phthalocyanine into the cancer cells where it binds and, on activation, causes substantial cell death," he told the British Association's Science Festival.

Red 'trigger'

Healthy cells will also internalise the drug-coated nanoparticles, but unlike cancer cells they will excrete the phthalocyanine.

"Cancer cells are too greedy for their own good," said Dr Russell. "They are growing so fast that they take in and retain everything - not just nutrients needed for growth."

The use of so called photodynamic therapy is not new; the first of the four compounds that are currently in clinical use was approved in 1995.

Of these all are water soluble and are used largely to treat skin cancer as they naturally accumulate in the surface of the skin where they are more easily activated by light.

For some reason, phthalocyanine does not get into the skin - making it more suitable for treating solid tumours within the body. "Best of all," added Dr Russell, "this compound is optimised for activation by red light and produces far more of the deadly oxygen than the currently available photodynamic therapies.

"In addition, because it doesn't go into the skin there is no need for the patient to stay out of the sun which can trigger side-effects with the other drugs."

No escape

Traditional cancer chemotherapies rely on the patient being able to process the drug. In some people, their genetic differences mean this does not happen and for others, their cells become resistant to the effects of the drug.

Photodynamic therapy bypasses this issue because it does not rely on the body to activate the drug - rather a pulse of, rather ordinary, red light.

Dr Mark Wainwright, a senior lecturer in medicinal chemistry at the Liverpool John Moores University says that an improved drug design such as this should have significant advantages over the currently available photosensitive agents.

He adds: "Red light can only travel through 5-6mm tissue, but activating the nanoparticles in tumours inside the body, such as in the gut, could be done by using a fibre optic cable to shine the laser on the cancer target."

So far, Dr Russell's research, recently published in Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, has only been conducted on human cervical cells in the laboratory.

But his team's collaborators in Italy have just begun testing the approach in animal models of cancer.

If all goes to plan, phthalocyanine nanoparticles could be available for human trials within five years and will be administered either by injection into the bloodstream or directly into a tumour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5323704.stm

Mr. Laz
10-28-2006, 02:09 PM
within five years...cool article ... but every trial you hear about with amazing potiential says "wait 5 years"

and then you never hear of it again. :(

10-28-2006, 02:11 PM
cool article ... but every trial you hear about with amazing potiential says "wait 5 years"

And if it does work..it usually doesn't get past the political bullshit :shake:

FAX
10-28-2006, 02:16 PM
At this point, there are too many manufacturers with enormous investments and interests in cancer treatment-related equipment, technologies, and pharmaceuticals to even hope that a cure will ever be brought to market.

According to Captain Kirk, in his century, there was no sickness, disease, or the need for money. Yeah, right, Captain Kirk.

FAX

Mr. Laz
10-28-2006, 02:44 PM
At this point, there are too many manufacturers with enormous investments and interests in cancer treatment-related equipment, technologies, and pharmaceuticals to even hope that a cure will ever be brought to market.

According to Captain Kirk, in his century, there was no sickness, disease, or the need for money. Yeah, right, Captain Kirk.

FAX

more money in "treatments" than there are in "cures", Mr. Fax.

Bwana
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM

FAX

Have you seen the good captain in the last year. He has resorted to doing expedia.com commercials and is so fat, he looks like he got stung in the face by a jelly fish. :hmmm: May Captain Kirk burn in hell for his pack of lies!!

FAX
10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Have you seen the good captain in the last year. He has resorted to doing expedia.com commercials and is so fat, he looks like he got stung in the face by a jelly fish. :hmmm: May Captain Kirk burn in hell for his pack of lies!!

ROFL

I concur, Mr. Bwana. When he's wearing his official Enterprise attire, he's beginning to look like a shaven Emerald City guard. Too much discounted room service, no doubt.

Some of the things came true. I mean, we have communicators now. But the important stuff like the transporter and the green girl sex slaves was apparently just fabricated. I've been working my tail off trying to transport a green girl sex slave into my office with absolutely no success whatsoever.

FAX

JBucc
10-28-2006, 04:47 PM
That's probably why no one ever gets leg cancer. I bet there was a dip in cancer related deaths back when denim jackets became popular too. Someone check into that.

chagrin
10-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I have two thoughts here:

1) The new commericals Kirk is doing, anyone else notice his nose has been altered with latex, and it look 10x bigger than ever?

2) As a cancer survivor myself, I am always excited when I read things like this, unfortunately they usually do not pan out. The only two truly hopeful medicines that I am aware of in the past several years are Temodar and Bryostatin - obviously I am not a Dr. and I am sure there are more. Still interesting to read about this. I also remember when someone published an article about the milk base coating on aspirins, etc was supposedly going to destroy the virus that causes AIDS.

Imon Yourside
10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
The medical establishment continues to look for a cure that is rare so they can make some mulah off of it, until then you might try coral calcium and b-17 if you order it from outside the US both have been shown to kill cancer cells, or you can take megadoses of cheap old vitamin C.

Halfcan
10-28-2006, 08:54 PM
cool article ... but every trial you hear about with amazing potiential says "wait 5 years"

Yep Excellent point Laz-5 years is not going to help my Aunt who is fighting for her life right now.

boogblaster
10-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Vitamin C white meats.. anything green for vegies..best chance you got .....