PDA

View Full Version : Gay Comment leads to another firing.

Molitoth
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
This is Lame. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/31/espn.commentator.ap/index.html?eref=si_ncaaf)

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A college football announcer for ESPNU has been taken off the air for his questionable use of the word "gay" in Saturday's telecast of the Northern Illinois-Iowa game.

Brian Kinchen, a color commentator, will not work his regularly scheduled game this weekend, Josh Krulewitz, ESPN's vice president of public relations told The Des Moines Register.

Krulewitz said the decision was made after network officials conducted an internal review and determined Kinchen's remarks were inappropriate.

During the game Saturday, Kinchen was explaining the need for receivers to make catches with their hands because they are "tender" and can "caress" the ball. He then paused and said, "that's kind of gay, but hey ..."

Kinchen's future as a commentator with ESPNU, the cable network's college football channel, is still under review, Krulewitz said.

Kinchen, a former tight end who played in the NFL from 1988-00, apologized for his remarks.

"They were completely inappropriate and not at all a reflection of who I am or the way I perform my work," Kinchen said in a statement issued by ESPN. "I have learned from my mistake and look forward to continuing my broadcasting career."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

siberian khatru
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
NTTAWWT

chubychecker
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
NTTAWWT
that's gay

siberian khatru
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
that's gay

I prefer to think of it as "ghey," thankyouverymuch.

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
That's kind of unprofessional, but hey...

Brock
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Maybe he was just in character.

Thig Lyfe
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Gay jokes coming from a tight end. Come on now.

Simplex3
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
WTF is with all these people appologizing? If you said it then own it. Christ people.

:shake:

macdawg
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
i think this is bs, he used it as kind of a saying, not a brutal attack on gays, if he said fag, then I'd understand. not many gay dudes watch football though.

Bugeater
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
i think this is bs, he used it as kind of a saying, not a brutal attack on gays, if he said Rump Ranger, then I'd understand. not many gay dudes watch football though.
How do you know that?

chagrin
11-01-2006, 06:14 AM
That is hilarious - unprofessional in our society - but hilarious!

on one hand, he's just saying what most guys do when they say something like that, but on the other hand, gay guys still aren't comfortable enough with their differences to just take it, heh. That should get me a few bombs

11-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Gay jokes coming from a tight end. Come on now.
ROFL

Bootlegged
11-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Fhags.

cookster50
11-01-2006, 06:42 AM
but on the other hand, gay guys still aren't comfortable enough with their differences to just take it, heh.

Phobia told me GoChiefs was comfortable enough to "take it"

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 06:54 AM
That is hilarious - unprofessional in our society - but hilarious!

on one hand, he's just saying what most guys do when they say something like thatAnd he was functioning as a mouthpiece for the network while doing it. That is a big-time no-no, regardless of whether it's an offhand joke involving gays, hispanics, or midgets. It's not "unprofessional in our society," it's unprofessional in his profession. That's what he's paying the price for.

If he'd made the observation that someone is described as having "deceptive speed" because they're white, or cracked a joke about how black people are better athletes than white people because they're used to running from the cops, or started talking about how he'd totally nail that hot chick in the crowd, the same thing would have happened.

But yeah, it's got nothing to do with embarrassing the company and everything to do with the gay mafia. It's not that their differences mean that lots of people find it perfectly acceptable to belittle and discriminate against them, it's that they just have trouble accepting those differences.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
U.P. - I know, your point is right on target, I was just being silly dude. I guess I just find it funny when these guys unleash shit like that; it's like, WTF are you thinking!

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 06:59 AM
U.P. - I know, your point is right on target, I was just being silly dude. I guess I just find it funny when these guys unleash shit like that; it's like, WTF are you thinking!During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid葉hat's where it all started.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 07:00 AM
During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid葉hat's where it all started.

Oh my

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Oh myThat was Jimmy the Greek's finest hour.

"If your job is to comment on sports... there is virtually nothing you can say that will give your employers pause. Short of being racist, or announcing a plan to kill the Vice President or something, you can say anything." - dak, FireJoeMorgan.blogspot.com

chagrin
11-01-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't recall that part of his rant, that's way out of line, holy cow!

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2006, 07:42 AM
During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid葉hat's where it all started.

Just curious: are you guys that think this comment is so outrageous the same folks who believe in evolution--but mock those who dare to question it? :hmmm:

FTR: I believe in evolution, and think that Jimmy the Greeks remarks were incredibly stupid....for him to say on air, in his job.

Coach
11-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Heh, I heard the broadcast and when he said it, the akward silence after the comment was priceless.

JonesCrusher
11-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I find it amusing that i saw a multiple replays of the coment and somehow it was so horrible to say it but playing it over and over is fine.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Just curious: are you guys that think this comment is so outrageous the same folks who believe in evolution--but mock those who dare to question it? :hmmm:

FTR: I believe in evolution, and think that Jimmy the Greeks remarks were incredibly stupid....for him to say on air, in his job.

I am more suprised to hear what he said, and when he said it. To answer the question, no I am not one of those folks.

Archie F. Swin
11-01-2006, 08:34 AM

that's where what all started?

Mr. Laz
11-01-2006, 08:44 AM
am i reading wrong or is it just a 1 game suspension, not a firing?

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 08:50 AM
If he'd made the observation that someone is described as having "deceptive speed" because they're white, or cracked a joke about how black people are better athletes than white people because they're used to running from the cops, or started talking about how he'd totally nail that hot chick in the crowd, the same thing would have happened.
He didn't say "gay people are ...", he called something gay and some overly sensitive jerkwads interpret that as a bad thing, thus showing their own prejudice, not his.

But by all means don't let the facts knock you off your high horse Mr. Reeves.

Dark Horse
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
not many gay dudes watch football though.

If that was true the Broncos would never fill their stadium.

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
He didn't say "gay people are ...", he called something gay and some overly sensitive jerkwads interpret that as a bad thing, thus showing their own prejudice, not his.

But by all means don't let the facts knock you off your high horse Mr. Reeves.

Yup. :clap:

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
That was Jimmy the Greek's finest hour.

"If your job is to comment on sports... there is virtually nothing you can say that will give your employers pause. Short of being racist, or announcing a plan to kill the Vice President or something, you can say anything." - dak, FireJoeMorgan.blogspot.com

How about.... a...you know.... a little context?

As I recall, Greek was at a dinner table. Not on the network at all. Had about half a dozen scotches in him.... Had a mic stuck in face. Don't remember the exact question.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 09:49 AM
How about.... a...you know.... a little context?

As I recall, Greek was at a dinner table. Not on the network at all. Had about half a dozen scotches in him.... Had a mic stuck in face. Don't remember the exact question.

Really, damn my memory is really fading. I thought he made his comments on the air

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Really, damn my memory is really fading. I thought he made his comments on the air

The real trigger as I recall, was he made them on MLK Day. So there was already some hypersensitivity.

Was he wrong? I dunno. Did slave owners breed their biggest slaves? I presume so. Although, I've never investigated it.

But no, AFAIK, Greek made those comments at a dinnner.

Dusty Baker m,ade comments about how black (darker skinned) players were able to adapt to the heat better.

It's not really related, and he caught some shiot. But he wasn't paraded around in front the world with Jesse Jackson like Greek was.

chagrin
11-01-2006, 09:54 AM
The real trigger as I recall, was he made them on MLK Day. So there was already some hypersensitivity.

Was he wrong? I dunno. Did slave owners breed their biggest slaves? I presume so. Although, I've never investigated it.

But no, AKAIK, Greek made those comments at a dinnner.

Dusty Baker m,ade comments about how black (darker skinned) players were able to adapt to the heat better.

It's not really related, and he caught some shiot. But he wasn't paraded around in front the world with Jesse Jackson like Greek was.

Ahh, I see. Yes, the difference in punishment certainly could use some tinkering

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2006, 09:57 AM
And here is the entire quote. Something that UP left out.

... aired video shot that afternoon at Duke Zeibert's restaurant in Washington, D.C., featuring Snyder explaining why he thought African-Americans excelled in sports.

"The black is the better athlete," The Greek said. "And he practices to be the better athlete,

..... and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started

HolmeZz
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
He wasn't fired, he was suspended for a week.

Demonpenz
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
all he said was gay? When i heard he made a comment I thought he said "this team is really getting ****ed in the gay ass today"

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
He didn't say "gay people are ...",See the last example, of a commentator making a remark about how he'd totally nail that hot chick in the crowd. Making casual comments in a professional setting is a good way of getting into trouble.

he called something gay and some overly sensitive jerkwads interpret that as a bad thing, thus showing their own prejudice, not his.Yeah, saying, "DUDE THAT'S SO GAY LOL!" is such a common way of praising things. Referencing how something resembles or relates to a sexual activity on the air is not a great move for a broadcaster.

But by all means don't let the facts knock you off your high horse Mr. Reeves.MAKING SENSE IS RIDICULOUS HURF DURF

And here is the entire quote. Something that UP left out.It happened when I was 3. I don't give a ****.

I was just trying to make amends with chagrin, with whom I'd taken a somewhat harsh tone, by sharing another fun foot-in-mouth moment.

ChiTown
11-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I hate the fuggin PC world we live in. We overanalyze every bit of minutia that falls from people mouthes. I wish someone would take that same amount of time and figure out a way to eliminate toll boothes. Now, there's a problem that could use some dissecting........

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I wish someone would take that same amount of time and figure out a way to eliminate toll boothes.Well, we could raise taxes.

morphius
11-01-2006, 11:09 AM
So gay males are upset that the secret is out that they like to caress balls?

morphius
going to take an HR timeout...

chagrin
11-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I was just trying to make amends with chagrin, with whom I'd taken a somewhat harsh tone, by sharing another fun foot-in-mouth moment.

what? where?

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
That's beyond stupid. Whoever thought he should be fired should be fired. Nothing surprises me coming from ESPN though.

ChiTown
11-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, we could raise taxes.

I was thinking that we could just appropriate the current taxes to better usage vs. making it an employment opportunity for Toll Trolls and the State Department of Transportation in general.

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2006, 11:15 AM
He should sue them like this guy http://sports.iwon.com/news/10312006/v5210.html

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
... or cracked a joke about how black people are better athletes than white people because they're used to running from the cops,.....

Nobody says that stuff.... except....

el borracho
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
So gay males are upset that the secret is out that they like to caress balls?

morphius
going to take an HR timeout...
If I am reading this article correctly then Kinchen is being reprimanded by his employer not protested by any gay organization. I don't see where any homosexuals have made any response at all to the comment.

ChiTown
11-01-2006, 11:24 AM
If I am reading this article correctly then Kinchen is being reprimanded by his employer not protested by any gay organization. I don't see where any homosexuals have made any response at all to the comment.

Patience, grasshopper, patience. Activist Groups need time to build their cases in order to burn their victims at the stake............

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Nice. ROFL

"Know what I mean, Whitey?"

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
BTW Peanut,

I hope you don't think I was giving you a bad time about the whole Greek incident (how ghey does that sound ?)

I just remember it pretty well. Sometimes you can't tell the actual tone of a post and I don't want you to misinterpret me.

Cool?

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
... Sometimes you can't tell the actual tone of a post and I don't want you to misinterpret me...
:eek:

You mean, that might happen on here? :spock:

;)

StcChief
11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
screw this PC world. Gays seem to be all about who they are, and don't care about offending others in public.

Why care what an announcer says.

But ESPN is owned by Disney/ABC....

Baby Lee
11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Yah see, the Buh-laack is the bettah ATH-a-leet.

Ebolapox
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
well that's gay

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 12:38 PM
NTTAWWTYep, if he would have said that after making the comment, he would be a hero right now.

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Nobody says that stuff.... except....ROFL

That is almost as good as ,"How can he fumble the ball, it is smaller than a (should I do it?:hmmm:), naw, that would be racist of me.

No free speech here.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Where's the outrage over this Marquis guy being a racist POS?

tk13
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
They had to jump to the "gay" comment to be politically correct, but really, just the fact he said anything at all. There are tons of things said during a broadcast that could be turned into sexual innuendo. His first mistake was to acknowledge that after the tender comment. Then he did it with a word people will find offensive. Double whammy.

Ultra Peanut
11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Nobody says that stuff.... except....Ha. Good times.

If I am reading this article correctly then Kinchen is being reprimanded by his employer not protested by any gay organization. I don't see where any homosexuals have made any response at all to the comment.GET TOUGHER SKIN YEW FAGGOTS I HATE THIS DAMN PC SOCIETY BULLSHIT

screw this PC world. Gays seem to be all about who they are, and don't care about offending others in public.

Why care what an announcer says.

But ESPN is owned by Disney/ABC....Seriously, I love this argument. As if anyone should be surprised that a massive corporation would take action against one of its employees for making sexual remarks on the air.

And god forbid "TEH GAYS" have the audacity to, you know, exist. That's pretty much all it takes to offend certain types of people.

Bob Dole
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah, saying, "DUDE THAT'S SO GAY LOL!" is such a common way of praising things. Referencing how something resembles or relates to a sexual activity on the air is not a great move for a broadcaster.

Lewis Black didn't get fired.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqpYsV53dqU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqpYsV53dqU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Ha. Good times.

GET TOUGHER SKIN YEW FAGGOTS I HATE THIS DAMN PC SOCIETY BULLSHIT

Seriously, I love this argument. As if anyone should be surprised that a massive corporation would take action against one of its employees for making sexual remarks on the air.

And god forbid "TEH GAYS" have the audacity to, you know, exist. That's pretty much all it takes to offend certain types of people.

Who did you used to be dude? And another thing, that ultra peanut name is teh gay.

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
ESPN is becoming more gay by the day. Any network that finds wiener eating to be sport but won't ackowledge MMA has their lips wrapped around someone's cock.