PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Rules Change

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Imagine that you're an NFL coach - a good one, not a Mike Tice or anything.

The NFL creates a new rules change that all 11 players on offense are now eligible receivers. How would that change your strategy on offense? On defense?

I'm thinking that it would spell the extinction of large players in football. You'd just line up 11 jackrabbits and tight ends and throw the ball 80 percent of the time. On defense, that would mean that you would also go small, and run with about 8 or 9 defensive backs and 2 or 3 linebackers.

I'm not proposing this change, just wondering. The NFL works so hard to help out offenses that I bet someone has mentioned this in a meeting at some point.

CoMoChief
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
That's called 7 on 7 football.

King_Chief_Fan
11-01-2006, 12:52 PM

The NFL creates a new rules change that all 11 players on offense are now eligible receivers. How would that change your strategy on offense? On defense?

I'm thinking that it would spell the extinction of large players in football. You'd just line up 11 jackrabbits and tight ends and throw the ball 80 percent of the time. On defense, that would mean that you would also go small, and run with about 8 or 9 defensive backs and 2 or 3 linebackers.

I'm not proposing this change, just wondering. The NFL works so hard to help out offenses that I bet someone has mentioned this in a meeting at some point.

and have the opposing D have to count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi before they can rush the QB.

Redrum_69
11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd switch around and make my defense my offense and my offense my defense

Basileus777
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM

It wouldn't help the NFL if all their star qbs couldn't survive getting hit on every play.

listopencil
11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
It wouldn't really change all that much.

boogblaster
11-01-2006, 01:11 PM
All could catch the ball..no brainer....

Demonpenz
11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
The speed in the nfl your recievers need to be 5 or 6 yards apart or a saftey can cover two recievers. So everyone going out for a pass would bunch people up the defence would have a field day.

Stewie
11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I bet it would be alot like my electric football game I had as a kid. And we all know that electric football was anarchy. I remember Mick Tinglehoff (center, Vikes) was the best running back out of all my players. He was the one that didn't run in circles. And if Tinglehoff can play running back then it's not too far fetched to have everyone be an eligible receiver.

StcChief
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
OT period rule change

Equal # possessions if you kick Field goal.
TD wins game if it's the tie score breaker.

4 point field goals over 60 yards

Full period played to a TIE is a TIE.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I bet it would be alot like my electric football game I had as a kid. And we all know that electric football was anarchy. I remember Mick Tinglehoff (center, Vikes) was the best running back out of all my players. He was the one that didn't run in circles. And if Tinglehoff can play running back then it's not too far fetched to have everyone be an eligible receiver.

Yeah, those guys that didn't run in circles were very valuable.

trndobrd
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
On offense I would be inclined to use the shotgun. On defense I would have to line up in my "$10 bill package" quite a bit.

Fish
11-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Uhh huh huhhh...... Tinglehoff................

http://cristal.inria.fr/~harley/ecdl3/pics/butthead.gif