PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Has A H(u)ard Decision To Make

Hammock Parties
11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/585507.html

Everybody wants to compare the Trent Green/Damon Huard situation to the Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady quarterback controversy prior to New England's Super Bowl run in 2001, but there's a better comparison to make.

How about the Trent Green/Kurt Warner situation from 1999?

This is deja vu for Green, the lone exception being the fact that he is likely to be healthy enough to return this season. When he went out with injury in the ‘99 preseason, the Rams (who had marginal hopes to begin with) were thought to be finished. Then Warner came out of nowhere to lead the Rams to a title over the Tennessee Titans. Could Huard do the same with the Chiefs?

Not if he's replaced when Green returns.

It hurts me to say this, because Green has been everything the Chiefs could ask for as both a quarterback and as a leader. But there's no doubt in my mind that if Huard can keep up what he's doing, he gives the Chiefs the best chance to advance toward the postseason.

In fact, if the season were to end today, Huard would get my vote as MVP of the entire league. He’s been that good.

It's no coincidence that Larry Johnson has had so much success over the last two weeks. Head coach Herm Edwards and offensive coordinator Mike Solari have given Huard opportunities to throw the ball downfield and attack defenses with his arm.

Huard is no longer being treated like a liability. Rather, he is being used as a weapon. That has helped open up the running game for Johnson, because opposing defenses now have to respect KC's aerial attack. And Huard has really made teams pay.

The guy has been on a mission - throwing just one interception in seven appearances. His completion percentage is high, he's made smart decisions with the football and he has guided a Chiefs offense that is seemingly getting better each week (Pittsburgh game not included).

Huard even has two receptions!

Edwards has stated repeatedly that when Green is healthy enough to return, he is the starter. I understand his thinking and I appreciate his loyalty. But if he's "in it to win it," he will stick with the guy who has the hot hand. And for the time being, that guy is Huard.

If Green were to return, the Chiefs would have to slow down so he could catch up. It's not easy being out of football for two months and then returning. All of Green's teammates would have to readjust to a new quarterback. The cadence changes, the timing changes and yes, even the offense changes.

Everybody would have to halt progress so that Green could get back in rhythm and get back up to speed. In a playoff race that is sure to be a furious one, the Chiefs can't afford to wait on Green. They need to stay the course and go with the guy that has been under center for all four of the team's wins to date. That guy is Huard.

It's not an easy situation and it will definitely be a difficult call. But it's one that has to be made. Edwards needs to tell Green that, for the second time in his career, he has lost his job to injury - and that if he's to collect a second Super Bowl ring, it will be a backup quarterback that delivers it to him.

The NFL isn't an easy business. Nobody knows that more than Green.

Donger
11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
he has guided a Chiefs offense

Something's missing.

Immaculate
11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
f the season were to end today, Huard would get my vote as MVP of the entire league. He’s been that good.

That's a little much.

StcChief
11-01-2006, 05:55 PM
When will the bad catch phrases end in the media....

chiefqueen
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM

One of the receptions is against Denver which he fumbled after catching it and Denver scores one of their regulation field goals on that drive. If Huard bats the ball down (the advisable option) KC probably scores on that drive and would be 5-2, in the driver's seat in the division with victories over Den & SD, and is possibly in contention for a playoff bye. Denver meanwhile would be 4-3 and hoping to get one of the wildcards.

SLAG
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
When will the bad catch phrases end in the media....

Scout.com isnt "Real" Media

its more like "Fan" Media

bogie
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Huard is doing great! But this article is homer goofy, and trust me, I know homer goofy.

tk13
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
I think people need to step back and actually think about what they're saying. People try too hard to be overdramatic. MVP of the entire league? Wow... we're 4-3 and have yet to play a solid game on the road. Hold your horsies.

Crashride
11-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Thats one thing I dont understand. Herm keeps our starting left tackle out (turley) because the other guys are beginning to "gel" and get used to each other. Why not do the same for the wb position. Huard is definetly "gelling"

JBucc
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Thats one thing I dont understand. Herm keeps our starting left tackle out (turley) because the other guys are beginning to "gel" and get used to each other. Why not do the same for the wb position. Huard is definetly "gelling"
wetback?

bogie
11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Because Green is a better QB and will take this gelling O and improve them even more.

Adept Havelock
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
wetback?

Wingback.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM

In fact, if the season were to end today, Huard would get my vote as MVP of the entire league. He’s been that good.

Geez...can you take the homer glasses off for one second??

Your pathetic...You realize there are 31 other teams in the league right??

banyon
11-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Huard is not even MVP of his own team, much less the whole friggin league.

Pitting his mediocre record against mostly subpar teams against actually successful, winning players like Manning, Brady, McNabb, Barber, and Tomlinson is a total farce.

You could ask every GM in the league to trade you our starter (Huard) for theirs and you might get 2 takers: Cleveland and Miami.

SLAG
11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Huard is not even MVP of his own team, much less the whole friggin league.

Pitting his mediocre record against mostly subpar teams against actually successful, winning players like Manning, Brady, McNabb, Barber, and Tomlinson is a total farce.

You could ask every GM in the league to trade you our starter (Huard) for theirs and you might get 2 takers: Cleveland and Miami.

Look at Minnesota

They Had Brad Johnson come in and do decent last year sent their starter away and we shall see how that story unfolds

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Look at Minnesota

They Had Brad Johnson come in and do decent last year sent their starter away and we shall see how that story unfolds

Brad Johnson has been a solid veteran for a long time and has won a SB before.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
great comparison on Green/Huard and Green/Warner, especially since Green had been in St. Louis for a whole offseason. It's more like the McNabb/Detmer/Feeley situation a couple of years ago.

SLAG
11-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Brad Johnson has been a solid veteran for a long time and has won a SB before.

Like Stocks Past Performance does not indicate Future Success

Sure-Oz
11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Holy man crush batman

Hammock Parties
11-01-2006, 06:25 PM
great comparison on Green/Huard and Green/Warner, especially since Green had been in St. Louis for a whole offseason. It's more like the McNabb/Detmer/Feeley situation a couple of years ago.

Apart from the fact that Feeley was playing at an average level.

kcxiv
11-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Article sux.

banyon
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM

So, who is having the better season, Drew Brees or David Carr?

the Talking Can
11-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Everybody wants to compare the Trent Green/Damon Huard situation to the Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady quarterback controversy...

uh, who is everybody?

I haven't seen anybody seriously making this comparison.

Eleazar
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Everybody wants to compare the Trent Green/Damon Huard situation to the Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady quarterback controversy

Uh. No, nobody with any sense is doing that.

That's as far as I read. :rolleyes:

milkman
11-01-2006, 06:35 PM

I draw a Unitas/Morrall-Griese/Morrall comparison.

Unitas was hurt in the '68 season, and Morrall comes in and lead them to a SB, winning the NFL MVP.

He pretty much sucked it up in the SB against the Jets, though.
Unitas wasn't 100% even when the SB rolls around, but Don Shula filed that experience away.

Years later, Bob Greise is hurt during the '72 season, and takes over for Greise in the 5th or 6th game, and leads them to the playoffs, and the AFC Championship game.

He again is fairly ineffectiive in that game early, and Shula pulls him, and puts Greise in the game, who then leads them to the SB, and the victory to off an undefeated season.

Morrall wins AFC Player of the Year honors.

The bottom line here is this.

Journeyman QBs are usually jouneyman QBs for a reason, and when you have the opportunity to pull them in favor of a proven player, and leader, you do it.

Fish
11-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Author should dip their nuts in a bear trap for this statement....

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-01-2006, 06:55 PM
well he was still winning IIRC. How about Brister/ Elway in 1998? even if Elway had a much better career than green and was coming off of a super bowl, it's more reasonable than Brady/Bledsoe and Warner/Green

or how about Neil O'donnel/McNair. I bet O'donnel would have beaten the rams...

Raiderhater
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Ugh.

OldTownChief
11-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Everybody wants to compare the Trent Green/Damon Huard situation to the Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady quarterback controversy prior to New England's Super Bowl run in 2001

Everyone? I haven't heard ANYONE make that comparison except one on this site.

milkman
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Everyone? I haven't heard ANYONE make that comparison except one on this site.

The only people making that comparison, are the ones that want to have Saint Huard's love child.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2006, 07:06 PM
You folks are amazing. I didn't write this.

cdcox
11-01-2006, 07:12 PM
This article is plain goofy. I note that the author is Jeff Rake rather than GoChiefs.

He needs to explain how these two situations are comparable:

Situation A: A QB who has exactly one year experience as a starter, and is brand new for his current team goes down for the entire season. During that season, the backup leads one of the most dynamic and explosive offenses in NFL history, throws for 4300 yards, 41 TDs, leads the team to a 13-3 record, and a Superbowl victory.

Situation B: A 2-time ProBowl QB who has lead his team that last 5 years goes down for (going on) 9 weeks. During the time he is out, the offense is scaled back considerably to accomodate the backup's limiations, who then throws for 1600 yards, 8 TDs, and leads the team to a 4-2 record.

milkman
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM

So that place is full of ****ing morons, huh?

No need to answer.
That was a rhetorical question.

the Talking Can
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
uh, who is everybody?

my questions stands....where the **** is anyone seriously saying this, and why do people this stupid get paid to write?

Calcountry
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
wetback?I was thinking wing back, but we scrapped the wing T a long time ago.

Logical
11-01-2006, 07:22 PM

So WPI has other people as idiotic as you and Hootie?

Hammock Parties
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
So WPI has other people as idiotic as you and Hootie?

We actually have people even dumber.

GoHuge
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Retarded

Thig Lyfe
11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
uh, who is everybody?

That's what his Star Wars figurines have been saying.

OldTownChief
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
That's what his Star Wars figurines have been saying.

LMAO

Spott
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Huard hasn't done squat on the road. He has led the team to 3 thirty plus point games at home, but we have averaged 30 pts per game the last 4 years with Green. Huard has also been the QB for two games so far when we have scored under 10 points. On the other hand, with Trent at the helm, we have only been held under 10 pts twice in 71 games(the final game of the 2002 season and in Buffalo last year).