PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Restaurants of yesteryear

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

Easy 6
11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Tops Big Boy made some excellent greasy spoon fare back in the day.

Saulbadguy
11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Shoney's.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 08:36 PM
My dad ran A&W restaurants starting when I was in fifth grade, and ending when I was a senior in high school. You can't beat icy cold A&W root beer made on site.

Spott
11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I wish we had Mr Goodcents and Lamars donuts down here. I friggin hate Subway and Dunkin donuts. We don't have a single BBQ place worth a crap either, but there is some damn good seafood to take it's place.

Nzoner
11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
My mom managed an original Dairy Queen(no burgers and no inside seating etc) for 25+ years and we always got a great MOM discount.Her working there became even better once I started my "stoner" years in high school.

cdcox
From when we lived in NY state: Lums (roast beef sandwhichs), Shakey's Pizza

When traveling: Howard Johnson's (fried clams, mmmmm)

In KC, we didn't eat out too much. I remember Mom used to do consumer reports at McDonalds. She got paid like $3 a visit. We went out for pizza once in a while, but I forget the name of the place.

Simply Red
I wish we had Mr Goodcents and Lamars donuts down here. I friggin hate Subway and Dunkin donuts. We don't have a single BBQ place worth a crap either, but there is some damn good seafood to take it's place.

Is Winchells still around in KC?

milkman
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Henry's Hamburgers, caddy corner to East Jr. High in Leavenworth.

And Foe's Broasted Chicken just down the street.

Used to go there instead of eating the crappy cafeteria food.

dirk digler
11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Shoney's especially their breakfast buffet

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Strouds Chicken of course.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
This is a long shot, but does anyone remember Ed Lentz's restaurant on I-44 at the Richland exit? When I was a tiny kid, we ate there so often that, according to family lore, I told someone that my dad worked there.

http://www.66postcards.com/images/05July05.jpg

As a three or four year-old, that place held endless fascination for me, and may be a source of my love for old-style diners today. I remember being enthralled by the little juke boxes on each table, and by the big stand in the middle that sold all sorts of little trinkets. I particularly remember the ostrich with the mercury solution that you would put next to a glass of water, and it would regularly dip its head into the water for a drink and then raise back up.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Fred and Reds - Joplin

Chicken Annies - Pittsburg, KS

Chicken Mary's - Pittburg as well.

Whistler Hamburgers - Carthage

cdcox
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Anybody remember an old fast food place called "Smacks" in the KC area? I remember those when i was a young kid.

Yep. And a five-and-ten called Katz.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
This is a long shot, but does anyone remember Ed Lentz's restaurant on I-44 at the Richland exit? When I was a tiny kid, we ate there so often that, according to family lore, I told someone that my dad worked there.

http://www.66postcards.com/images/05July05.jpg

As a three or four year-old, that place held endless fascination for me, and may be a source of my love for old-style diners today. I remember being enthralled by the little juke boxes on each table, and by the big stand in the middle that sold all sorts of little trinkets. I particularly remember the ostrich with the mercury solution that you would put next to a glass of water, and it would regularly dip its head into the water for a drink and then raise back up.

Personally never stomped on those parts. But I know the sentimental feeling certain eats spots leaves with us.

Spott
11-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Is Winchells still around in KC?

I don't think so. There used to be one on 291 in Lee's Summit, but I think it is a Starbucks now. There also used to be a Browns Chicken right next door to it, but I think it is a bank now.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't think so. There used to be one on 291 in Lee's Summit, but I think it is a Starbucks now. There also used to be a Browns Chicken right next door to it, but I think it is a bank now.

heh, Brown's Chicken Haven't heard that in awhile.

Spott
11-01-2006, 08:56 PM
heh, Brown's Chicken Haven't heard that in awhile.

Me either. I worked there for a little while when I was going to UMKC and still living in Lee's Summit. Probably the dirtiest restaurant I've ever been in, but they made some damn good fried chicken back in the day.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Me either. I worked there for a little while when I was going to UMKC and still living in Lee's Summit. Probably the dirtiest restaurant I've ever been in, but they made some damn good fried chicken back in the day.

Ford's Cafe - Old town Lee's Summit

Nzoner
11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
here's a few I recall from st joe don't know if they were national or not

Dog N Suds
Sambo's
Dapper Dans(the pizza man)
Showbiz Pizza
Happy Joe's

Pitt Gorilla
11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Fred and Reds - Joplin

Chicken Annies - Pittsburg, KS

Chicken Mary's - Pittburg as well.

Whistler Hamburgers - CarthageI'll go with Zack's, which used to be Jack's Steakhouse and Tower Ballroom in Pittsburg. Zack is Jack's son. Also, Nick's Restaurant in Girard and, of course, the Mall Deli in Pittsburg.

Deberg_1990

Dog N Suds
Sambo's
Showbiz Pizza
Happy Joe's

I remember Sambos from way back in the day. They were sort of like a Dennys if i remember right?

TrickyNicky
In Wichita:

Willie C's Cafe (the one that used to be near Towne East) There's still one across town now, but the old one had a great Pac-man table that my sister and I would always sit at. Eat some greasy two-bite tacos and get down on some power pellet action. Nothing better.

Bombay Bicycle Club. Used to be off Kellog The food wasn't spectacular but who doesn't love saying the name? They did have a killer Monte Cristo sandwich though.

Yen Chings off Central and Rock. Still there and isn't as good as I remembered it. Schezuan Beef or House Beef are great dishes. I always remember the buddha statue at the front that we used to rub for good luck as kids.

Spott
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Ford's Cafe - Old town Lee's Summit

Damn, I totally remember going there as a kid. I also remember going to some craphole diner at the old intersection of 291 & 150(before they redid it). I can't remember the name, but I remember the place sucking pretty bad.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Shakey's Pizza.

There was a window just inside the entrance where you could watch them make the pizzas. Also, they sometimes had guys playing banjos.

stevieray
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Washington Street Station

Simply Red
Damn, I totally remember going there as a kid. I also remember going to some craphole diner at the old intersection of 291 & 150(before they redid it). I can't remember the name, but I remember the place sucking pretty bad.

Breakfast at Ford's on the weekend REAL early w/ my dad were fond memories before we'd go to Pony Express Lake fishing. I hated fishing but loved watching my dad catch all the fish.

morphius
Every Friday night my parents, sister and I used to go up to Pizza Factory up in KCMO up on North Oak, we would get Sausage, Pepperoni, and Mushroom pizza. Then my sister and I would play Ms. Packman. Seems silly, but it was fun.

Also used to go to Tom's Green and Things on my birthday, huge hamburger and potato sliced fries. Yummy.

Rain Man
Key restaurants of my childhood/youth:

1. A&W (Rolla for the most part)
2. Johnny's Smoke Stak (Rolla)
3. Ed Lentz's (Richland)
4. Calvert's Cafeteria (Springfield, it was our post-church tradition)
5. Ken's Pizza (either Rogers, AR, or Springfield - don't remember now)

stevieray
11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Shakey's Pizza.

There was a window just inside the entrance where you could watch them make the pizzas. Also, they sometimes had guys playing banjos.

off 40 hiway?

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Shakey's Pizza.

Where at?

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Independence = Tim's Pizza and the real old Red Lobster of Noland, Hi-boy off 40 as well.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Where at?

Winston-Salem, N.C.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Speaking of places to eat ...

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:11 PM
off 40 hiway?

Hmm can't place it. But i've heard it discussed on here before. Funhouse is damned hard to beat. Hamburger, Canadian-Bacon and Mushrooms w/ extra cheese.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Speaking of places to eat ...

TUNA!

YES!

Medium rare please!

Deberg_1990
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
When i was up in KC over the summer i couldnt believe they had a "Waids" in Less Summit still!

Man, that place is ancient.

Spott
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Damn, luckily I'm not at work looking at this thread.

Spott
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Waids used to have some bitching cheese soup back in the day. I can't believe that place is still around.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Joe's Barn, 149th and Metcalf. Most recently I think it was Manny's South. Their cinnamon role ruled.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Waids yes I slightly remember my dad talking about it.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Ohh, Stephensons. Forgot that one.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Here's another dead franchise: Burger Chef.

Nzoner
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM

We had a Ken's here,it eventually switched over to a Mazzio's

Easy 6
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I've seen a couple here i had forgot about, Burger Chef, Sambo's, Kens Pizza was my first job in Jax, Ill. Ahhh the glory days........

stevieray
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Putch's cafeteria..in the LL of Blue Ridge Mall.

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Here's another we had down the road from us in Winston-Salem, mid-70s: Ollie's Trolley.

Very unique. Seasoned french fries, burgers had some kind of different sauce or seasoning on them.

They ever have those in the Midwest?

siberian khatru
11-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks to Google:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ollies.shtml

Nzoner
11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I also forgot about

Sirloin Stockade
Der Weinersnitchzel(or something like that)

milkman
11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I remember Sambos from way back in the day. They were sort of like a Dennys if i remember right?

Sambo's were Denny's.

Used to be one still by the name Sambo's in Santa Barbara.
They finally changed the name about 10 years ago.

Closed down a couple years after that.

milkman
11-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I also forgot about

Sirloin Stockade

Der Weinersnitzel was pretty good, until they switched to turkey dogs.

Bugeater
11-01-2006, 09:35 PM
We used to eat at the Country Kitchen a lot when I was young. They had the juke boxes at every table like Rain Man mentioned, and if you ate all the food off your plate you received a token you could use for some worthless junk out of the gumball machines.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I also forgot about

Sirloin Stockade

Cripes. How did I leave Sirloin Stockade off my list? I only spent five years of my life working there and eating there. I have many fond memories of Sirloin Stockade.

stevieray
11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Texas Tom's

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Sirloin Stockade?

That totally rings a bell.

In Independence?

Back in the Venture and Wild Woody's days? Also Rustlers BBQ which sucked as best as I can remember.

Bugeater
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM

Dog N Suds
Sambo's
Showbiz Pizza
Happy Joe's
We used to have a Happy Joe's right by us. They had the window where you could watch them make the pizzas and an ice cream shop in the front. That place rocked.

We used to have a couple Showbiz's here too, but they're called something else now. Their pizza was terrible.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Texas Tom's

Ohh yes 7-hwy in BS. Good Onion rings and tenderloins.

How bout Bettys Fried Chicken?

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Texas Tom's

Taco Basket w/ Onion rings.

headsnap
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
a buddy on mine, his stepdad (er, mom's boyfriend) owned those...

Nzoner
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Cripes. How did I leave Sirloin Stockade off my list? I only spent five years of my life working there and eating there. I have many fond memories of Sirloin Stockade.

I worked there too,got promoted my very first night.Remember those heavy steels they served the sizzling steaks on?Well I loaded my bus cart too heavy on one end and crash over went the cart soaking a lady customer with the soapy water we had on the cart to soak untensils in.

I got promoted to cook after that.

Iron Chef
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
A little hamberger place call LC's and Kelso's Pizza north of th river.

Simply Red
11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
another Texas Toms was off 291 in Indep. My mom used to take my sister and I to that location if we got no cavities at the dentist.

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I worked there too,got promoted my very first night.Remember those heavy steels they served the sizzling steaks on?Well I loaded my bus cart too heavy on one end and crash over went the cart soaking a lady customer with the soapy water we had on the cart to soak untensils in.

I got promoted to cook after that.

Yeah, those things were heavy. If you got a foot-tall stack of them, it was a real workout to move them.

I started out as a busboy, and then went to dishwasher, fry cook, and then head cook over my five years there. My best story about those steel plates was that once I stepped away from the dishwasher station, and one of the cooks brought back a steel plate that he'd been using on the grille all night, so it was about 400 degrees. I came back and picked it up, and fortunately my hands were wet. I heard the water boiling on my hand and dropped the thing without so much as a red mark. I'm amazed that I didn't roast off all my fingerprints.

So did your lady get a free meal? I could imagine a bunch of those things flipping a cart.

PastorMikH
11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Here's an odd one. When I was a kid, I loved going to Der Weinershnitzel (sp?) on the west end of Business loop 70 in Columbia. It was a big red-roofed A-frame structure that sold Hot Dogs. I preffered that place to McDonalds because McDonalds always put mustard on my cheeseburger. They would give you a plain dog with packets of ketchup (or was it catsup) and mustard so you only had to put on what you wanted.

boogblaster
11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Wichita had a place on central & zoo called Estalitias best damn sancho in the world...the hot sause would burn your teeth, plus it weighed 2 lbs....

DJJasonp
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
In Overland Park...

Here's the places I grew up with and still have to eat at every time I come back in town...

Taco Via
Haywards...I remember the little hole in the wall off of 95th street...and you had to wait an hour or more to get seated...
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)
Wylies....outstanding double or triple burgers...

PastorMikH
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Can't believe someone got that one in before me.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 10:15 PM
We used to have a couple Showbiz's here too, but they're called something else now. Their pizza was terrible.
Chuck E. Cheese. The pizza is now tollerable, but they only have one robot animal now and it's far lamer than the whole cast they had at the Showbiz on Metcalf.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
Those are all over the place now. I love it. One of the few pizzas in town that doesn't taste like ketchup on a cracker.

PastorMikH
11-01-2006, 10:20 PM
A new Pizza joint that I like is Ci Ci's Pizza. Pizza buffet place with Pizza out all day long. Prices aren't too bad either.

Simplex3
11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
A new Pizza joint that I like is Ci Ci's Pizza. Pizza buffet place with Pizza out all day long. Prices aren't too bad either.
Their deep dish is actually pretty good. It has a different sauce that has more herbs and stuff. My 2yo son loves to eat there so he can get chocolate pizza, and since it's just he and I every Wed. night we generally grab my dad and the three of us head up to CiCi's.

DJJasonp
11-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Joe's Barn, 149th and Metcalf. Most recently I think it was Manny's South. Their cinnamon role ruled.

Man....that brings back some memories....the only other cinnamon rolll that came close was from Mrs. Winners....

TrickyNicky
11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Anyone in Junction City: You must eat at the Pusan Diner on N. Washington Street. Korean S(e)oul Food at it's finest, try the Bulgogi and Yaki Mandu, thank me later. Plus, it's within walking distance of a gentlmen's club.

Dartgod
11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
How about King's Restaurant? The Cheese Frenchee was awesome!

Bugeater
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
How about King's Restaurant? The Cheese Frenchee was awesome!
Was that the place that had the phones at the table to put your order in?

Mosbonian
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
There was a place in Claycomo called Bena's....they had a HUGE hamburger there....made all the ones they make these days look like White Castle Burgers.....we would go there on Saturday nights, sit in the car and listen to the A's, while eating burgers and having a chocolate shake.

BTW, the place a couple of you refer to was "Smaks" there was no "c" in the name.

mmaddog

dtebbe
11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't remember the name, but my dad used to take me to some all you can eat mexican place in Independance. Seems like I remember it being off some main highway. Of coarse my dad doesn't remember any such place...

DT

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Can't believe someone got that one in before me.

There are a ton of Weinerschnitzel's in SoCal (though they dropped the "Der" a while ago) and they're still really good for a fast food dog. We also have Jack in the Box (which rules) and Shakey's everywhere.

I guess these restaurants didn't make it in KC and were pulled. Too bad.

gblowfish
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Lots of old places that don't exist anymore, a few still exist.

In Independence:
Starlite Drive In: 24 Highway & Forest. Where Papa Johns is now.
Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, Also 24 Highway & Forest. Arby's is there now.
Golden Point Burgers: Used to be one at Truman Rd and River- Phillips 66 gas station there now, Polly Pop bottler used to be right behind it. Also a Golden Point was on 40 Highway just east of Cool Crest.
Hawthorne Cafe: 24 hour breakfast, great juke box. Noland Rd. & 40 Highway where Ruby Tuesday's is now.
General's Inn: Steakhouse at 40 Hwy and Noland Rd.
Morgan's Steakhouse Blue Ridge and 24 Highway, burned down in late 1970s.
Wagon Wheel BBQ: 40 Highway and Pitcher Rd.
Bamboo Hut: 40 Highway, steak house, still there.
Red Barn Chicken. 40 Highway & Sterling. Conoco station there now.
Blue Rooster: Blue Ridge Mall, now building a huge Wally World there.
Smak's: Old Hamburger chain, there was one at 24 Highway and Liberty.
Waid's: Still a few around. There's one in Lee's Summit, another at Southwest Blvd and State Line.
Griff's Hamburgers: Used to be one at 24 Highway and Noland across from William Chrisman HS. Now a used car lot. There's still a Griff's in Sedalia, MO across from Smith-Cotton HS.
Dog N Suds: 24 Highway and 291. Beer joint called Dr. Pickl's is there now.
Mugs Up Root Beer: 24 Highway East of Sterling. Abandoned dance hall is there now.
That's just a few. There used to be lots of good drive in's in Independence. Hi Boys is still around, Clem's on 23rd St. near Hill Park. Giant Tenderloin at 24 Highway and Arlington is still there too.

Al Bundy
11-01-2006, 11:48 PM

Yeah the last one was inside Wardparkway and went out in the 80's.

Al Bundy
11-01-2006, 11:50 PM

When I lived in Houston I worked at the original Ci Ci's.. I still cant stand the smell or site of them.

gblowfish
11-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Pic of Smak's attached.
In the mid 1970's there was a short lived burger joint called "Chutes" (I think) that shot food to you out of a tube like at a bank drive thru.

Dixon's Chili on 40 highway and Blue Ridge in Independence is also very good.Unique place.

Demonpenz
11-02-2006, 12:19 AM
chick'n taters

ChiefFan31
11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
There are a ton of Weinerschnitzel's in SoCal (though they dropped the "Der" a while ago) and they're still really good for a fast food dog. We also have Jack in the Box (which rules) and Shakey's everywhere.

I guess these restaurants didn't make it in KC and were pulled. Too bad.

That is what was thinking about the Weinerschnitzels when I kept reading it with a Dir in front. A buddy of mine in high school used to freak on Hot Dogs, dont really know why. Hot Dogs are good when your broke or at a ball game IMO.

Jack in the Crack. They are good I suppose. Im kinda over it, have had my share of Sourdough Jack's and triple bacon Cheeseburgers though.

I remember ol Browns Chicken in KC. ate there all the time as a kid. Greasy joints. I remember Sambo's and Smacks. I was thinking that Sambos was the FF type joint I used to eat at in thet Prairie Village shopping mall. Guess that was a smacks.

Someone else mentioned Pizza shoppe. That place rocks. I miss it. That and Minski's Pizza are pretty good. Not too many places I have found out here with Pizza that good. Round Table pizza kicks ass though.

TinyEvel
11-02-2006, 12:46 AM
My parents divorced when I was 8, and my dad had us on the weekend. He has OCD, so we ALWAYS had breakfast at Biff's Coffee Shop in the (SanFernando) Valley and dinner at Brent's Deli in Northridge. Everyone who worked there knew him. Back then is seemed special, now it's kind of weird, looking back.

F.Y.I. It bums me out that nobody mentioned TGI Friday's (my bread and butter right now).
But props to Pastor and Simplex for the CiCi's mention. Our agency does their ads. They don't have any out here in SoCal yet, but they sound pretty good from what our ads say, I don't work on that account. But sounds like you get a lot for, like, 4 bucks.

Joe Seahawk
11-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Check out this place.. Pretty cool.

I would've loved to have been a teenager in those days..

http://www.lileks.com/postcards/rest/jet.html

Abba-Dabba
11-02-2006, 01:52 AM
A&W, when it was a drive in
Shakey's pizza
Peter Pan Ice Cream

Phog Allen
11-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Dos Hombres in Lawrence, best greasy taco in the world just right to start a drunken night. Only to finish the drunken night at Joe's Donuts, hot, glazed and melt in your mouth. And weekend runs to Guy and Mays tavern for ribs.

Spott
11-02-2006, 05:08 AM
I don't remember the name, but my dad used to take me to some all you can eat mexican place in Independence. Seems like I remember it being off some main highway. Of course my dad doesn't remember any such place...

DT

Was it Chi-Chi's?

11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
The Padd. Locally owned burger joint. Damn good burgers.
A&W. Left Topeka in the early 80's and I still miss it.

chagrin
11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger

plbrdude
11-02-2006, 06:45 AM
growing up in a small town we had a variety of little resturants and diners. schoonovers cafe was a staple for years. others i remember were bammer's cafe, ray's country kitchen, the duck inn, and mace & mary's snack bar.

Dartgod
11-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Was that the place that had the phones at the table to put your order in?
Now that you mention it, I believe they did. They were primarily in the Omaha/Lincoln, NE area, but I seem to remember one on 50 Highway in Raytown. I remember when we used to visit my grandparents in Nebraska, we used to always go there for my birthday. They would bring you out a little cake with the trick candles on it. There was one on the I-80 interchange near Greenwood, NE (Alvo Road). It's been gone for years.

Easy 6
11-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Is there still a mexican restaurant in KC called Jalisco's??? My relatives always take me there when i go, havent been in several years but i remember it being pretty good.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time

MOhillbilly
11-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Grand fortuna- had the best mongolian BBQ ever.
Stones BBQ- mom and pop type place from the old school. never had anything even close since.
Burger Station- local place there cheese burgers were salty and greasy and sick, they were great.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
from when i was real young and up north. the A&W in Excelsior springs and the pizza joint w/ the clown painting that burned.

And the burger cafe type place downtown. My Grandfather took me there.

Rays?????

Brock
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger

Sambo's was awesome.

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time

Rax of course.

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I forgot Minsky's and Antonio's pizza.
Burger Lane
Godfather
Kreamy Kone

Frosty
11-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Most of them have already been mentioned-

Shakey's Pizza - this was the only place my dad would take us for pizza for a long time.
Sambo's - there is still a Sambo's in Lincoln City, OR
the real A&W, with the phones at the booths and the drive-up

Also,

Arctic Circle - had really good shakes
Bob's Burgers - a chain in Oregon. Had my first real job there when I was 14
VIP's- a 24 hour sit down restaurant, like a Denny's. Great place to get breakfast at 1 AM.

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.

tomahawk kid
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Mmmmmm....

Hi-Boy.

:drool:

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Sambo's were Denny's.

Used to be one still by the name Sambo's in Santa Barbara.
They finally changed the name about 10 years ago.

Closed down a couple years after that.
Sambos were styled similar to Dennys, but were their own franchise.
And the original Santa Barbara location is still operating, at least as recently as last year.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/Sambos.jpg/325px-Sambos.jpg

DanT
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
The closest restaurant to my family's house in KC is the Gates and Son on Swope Pkwy and the Paseo, down the hill from Paseo High. I remember it as a place that was open very late, with great food, free coffee and a big mural of a bigeyed cow. I also remember Mr. Gates as being a generous and kind man to the kids in the neighborhood. I vaguely remember that there was some sort of snack shop at the same site before Gates came along, back around 1970 or so.

P.S. Gates has since moved a little bit to the west, following a dramatic remodeling of Brush Creek and the streets around there.

Alton deFlat
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I would go to Burger Chef when I was in college and eat lunch for $1.00.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/burgerchef/aBC%20art%20of%20sign%201960s.jpg

I used to also love the burgers at Peter Pan in Pittsburg, KS. I didn't realize until a few years ago, that Peter Pan restaurants morphed into Braums.

Braums / Peter Pan (http://www.braums.com/OurHistory.asp)

Alton deFlat
11-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.

I didn't know that. I guess that's why they tore down our Burger Chef and built a Hardees.... which is now a Burger King.

Redrum_69
11-02-2006, 09:19 AM
IN and Out burger...cept they still have them on the west coast

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Ah, yes, I remember those (not in KC, but elsewhere).

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Can you be nostalgic about somethings that's only been gone a couple of years?
If so, I miss Casa Gallardo Grill at the Galleria every time I get a jonze for really really good Tex-Mex.
Fuggin' Urban Outfitters.

Dartgod
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Griff's Hamburgers is another place that is all but extinct.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Griffy.gif http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/rockymtn/rmeats/rmburger/griffsburgerdenverco1.jpg

Dartgod
11-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.
Good Lord, I'd forgotten all about that commercial.

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Rax's sammiches were decent, but their salad/hot food bar was great.
A smaller version of your typical Ponderosa/Golden Corral spread in a FF setting, but with better fare and tighter quality control.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Spanish Gardens in Mission. Great greasy TexMex food. They closed the restaurant and just make chips/tortillas now

The Streetcar named Desire @ 49th and Main, KCMO. Best bluecheese burger I ever had. They moved the old streetcar to Crown Center, but the burgers never tasted the same.

Mom's Diner on Sante Fe in Olathe.

Vista Burger in Lawrence/Manhattan/Emporia.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:29 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Griffy.gif http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/rockymtn/rmeats/rmburger/griffsburgerdenverco1.jpg

I was actually just thinking about Griff's. For some reason, my sister really liked that place, and I preferred McDonald's. I viewed Griff's thick rippled french fries as a waste of french-fry potential. So any time my parents wanted to go to fast food, my sister would lobby for Griff's and I would lobby for a) McDonald's or b) anywhere other than Griff's.

Redrum_69
11-02-2006, 09:31 AM
My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:32 AM
My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.

Was that on Glendale?

Redrum_69
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
They have chain of them all over the world.

Theres even one at Pinnacle Peak in Snottsdale, AZ

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 09:45 AM

http://www.geocities.com/burgerchef_jeff/bcjeff.gif

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Shakey's Pizza - this was the only place my dad would take us for pizza for a long time.
Sambo's - there is still a Sambo's in Lincoln City, OR
the real A&W, with the phones at the booths and the drive-up

Wow - did you live in Sioux City as a kid?

siberian khatru
11-02-2006, 09:47 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYrG5ny6vM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYrG5ny6vM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I think I'm remembering why I didn't like the Burger Chef and Jeff ads. They were stupid even for a six year-old.

Sydd
11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
In Overland Park...

John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)

Johns is not closed. You just have to get there early to get any donuts. Drive by the place every morning on my way to work. I take my son there for donuts at least once a month, just like my dad did.

Spokane Chief Fan
11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Is the Bucket Shop in south St. Joe still around?

Frosty
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Wow - did you live in Sioux City as a kid?

Nope. Salem, Oregon.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Nope. Salem, Oregon.

Maybe I lived in Salem, Oregon then. :hmmm:

ChiTown
11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Kings Restaurant and Reagans which were right off of Shawnee Mission Parkway next to the old United Telecom (then Sprint) Complex and across from Mission Hills CC in KC.

Reagans was a chithole, but Kings was a pretty decent sized joint.

Frosty
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe I lived in Salem, Oregon then. :hmmm:

I'll bet that's what it was. We were pretty special here. :)

Megbert
11-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I remember that place. They had a 'fixin's bar' where you could put whatever you wanted on your burger. I had a Smacky the Bear puppet. I think his name was Smacky.

Megbert
11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I really liked Tin Pan Alley in Lawrence. I didn't discover it till '91 but I ate there regularly even though I lived in tha 'dotte. mmmmm "BoBo Dip"

Megbert
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM

I remember going there after getting my immunization shots for school.

Sure someone mentioned this already but Wimpy's man I loved their italian steak sammich.

DMAC
11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
There was a restaurant that had Crab Leg and Steak buffet once a week.

It was in Ash Grove.

I think it was called Penningtons.

Predarat
11-02-2006, 11:10 AM
In Wichita:

Willie C's Cafe (the one that used to be near Towne East) There's still one across town now, but the old one had a great Pac-man table that my sister and I would always sit at. Eat some greasy two-bite tacos and get down on some power pellet action. Nothing better.

Willie C's was awesome! I still remember that Crane.

And what the hell happened to Showbiz Pizza, all they have now are those weak ass Chucky Cheeses. Showbiz pwns that stupid mouse! Probably the pussification of America and everyone being scared of that gorrilla that played the synthasizer.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
There was a restaurant that had Crab Leg and Steak buffet once a week.

It was in Ash Grove.

I think it was called Penningtons.

its still there.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Damnit

I'm hungry now

Assholes

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I remember that place. They had a 'fixin's bar' where you could put whatever you wanted on your burger. I had a Smacky the Bear puppet. I think his name was Smacky.
Smacky the bear?
It was Smaky the Seal, which it ironic, as Kellogs Sugar Smacks had a Seal mascot as well.

http://static.flickr.com/34/71297802_e5a11fa56b_o.jpg

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I'll bet that's what it was. We were pretty special here. :)

That's why we talk slow to ya'all.

DMAC
11-02-2006, 11:21 AM
its still there.Huh, I had heard it was gone.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Trachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.I remember Sambo's, they made a pretty killer waffle.

Megbert
11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Smacky the bear?
It was Smaky the Seal, which it ironic, as Kellogs Sugar Smacks had a Seal mascot as well.

http://static.flickr.com/34/71297802_e5a11fa56b_o.jpg
I stand corrected. I guess it was a AW Bear puppet.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I stand corrected. I guess it was a AW Bear puppet.

Ah. The Great Root Bear.

Frosty
11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Do you guys still have A&Ws? They have them here but they are just another fast food place here (except you can get a chili dog :) ). All the charm of the old place is gone (no more Papa, Mama, and Baby Burgers, you can't get it "in a basket", you have to stand in line at the front to order instead of having a waitress or using the phone, etc).

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Do you guys still have A&Ws?

Yup.

RJ
11-02-2006, 12:22 PM
This goes back 40 years and I haven't been back there since but in KC there was a place called Paul Bunyan Burgers. I don't know if it was a chain or just one store. There was a huge (in my memory) paul Bunyan figure in front. I liked their tacos more than the burgers. The one I remember was maybe on Parallel Avenue.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Predarat
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Do you guys still have A&Ws? They have them here but they are just another fast food place here (except you can get a chili dog :) ). All the charm of the old place is gone (no more Papa, Mama, and Baby Burgers, you can't get it "in a basket", you have to stand in line at the front to order instead of having a waitress or using the phone, etc).
My first job was in a food court at Towne East Mall in Wichita working at an A and W. We still made the Rootbeer from scratch in the store. When I moved to Tennessee they have A and W's combined with Long John Silvers. I miss those drive ins like a sonic where you could get Root Beer in a two gallon container like milk comes in now. That was some good stuff! I bet that help give me some cavaties because that stuff was sweet!

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Heres one;

Original Pizza Independence Ctr Food Ct.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Huh, I had heard it was gone.

it was still there this summer.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 12:53 PM
This goes back 40 years and I haven't been back there since but in KC there was a place called Paul Bunyan Burgers. I don't know if it was a chain or just one store. There was a huge (in my memory) paul Bunyan figure in front. I liked their tacos more than the burgers. The one I remember was maybe on Parallel Avenue.

Ring a bell with anyone?

I knew they were in financial trouble when they slaughtered Babe the Blue Ox.

Megbert
11-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Ring a bell with anyone?
I remember a place that had a Paul Bunyon outside. Don't remember what area in KC it was. But this would've been over 30 years ago.

Megbert
11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I miss Texas Toms.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I remember a place that had a Paul Bunyon outside. Don't remember what area in KC it was. But this would've been over 30 years ago.

Are you sure it wasn't a chef and when you pushed the button it talked?

luv
11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid. The building is now Nakato's Japanese Steakhouse. The kind where they prepare the food at your table.

DMAC
11-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid. The building is now Nakato's Japanese Steakhouse. The kind where they prepare the food at your table.Bonanza had a great salad buffet.

There was also one across from Food for Less.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I remember going to Bonanza Steakhouse as a kid.

Bonanza Hut. Ya - we had one of those too.

luv
11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Bonanza had a great salad buffet.

There was also one across from Food for Less.
I remember Tiny's BBQ too. Good stuff. They also had a good seafood buffet.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
When the Bonanza Steakhouse first opened, my sister and I thought it was being run by the Cartwright family. We were all excited, and when we went in, I saw a guy that I thought looked like Little Joe, and said so. My sister then got all excited about seeing Little Joe, and my parents had to set us straight. Upon being told, I was somewhat embarrassed.

Dartgod
11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Here's another one...

Harry T's at Truman Corners. They had all the Fairyland Park memorabilia in there. I think it used to be called Sveden House before it was Harry T's. There is an Osco Drug store sitting in that location now.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Here's another one...

Harry T's at Truman Corners. They had all the Fairyland Park memorabilia in there. I think it used to be called Sveden House before it was Harry T's. There is an Osco Drug store sitting in that location now.

I miss that place. One time I saw Dan Saleamua (sp?) and another CP with his daughter. :drool:

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I remember Tiny's BBQ too. Good stuff. They also had a good seafood buffet.

Tiny's BBQ, Seafood, Bar, Shooting Range, and Casino?

luv
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Tiny's BBQ, Seafood, Bar, Shooting Range, and Casino?
In Springfield? If it was a casino, I don't remember that. Or the shooting range.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
In Springfield? If it was a casino, I don't remember that. Or the shooting range.

Yeah - they had a tatoo parlor too.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM

Would they give you a free meal if you had their logo tattooed on your arm? That seems like a win-win for everybody.

luv
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
There were two Tiny's in Springfield, maybe three, at one time. I only remember them being a bbq and Seafood buffet. Of course, I was about 12 at the time.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Would they give you a free meal if you had their logo tattooed on your arm? That seems like a win-win for everybody.

the lobster bisque was worth it!

DMAC
11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
In Springfield? If it was a casino, I don't remember that. Or the shooting range.Do you really have to ask if there was a casino in Springfield?

DMAC
11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
There were two Tiny's in Springfield, maybe three, at one time. I only remember them being a bbq and Seafood buffet. Of course, I was about 12 at the time.There is still a Tiny's in Marshfield...right off the exit.

Duck Dog
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Taco Via- The one at 95th and Antioch, OP

Arthur Trachers- also near 95th and antioch, OP.

Fish and chips ruled!, I don't have any Long John Silvers around me anymore.

Duck Dog
11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
My favorite...how could I forget....was Joe's Barn in Stillwell. :drool:

luv
11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Do you really have to ask if there was a casino in Springfield?
No. But I was young at the time, so I was thinking maybe I just didn't notice.

luv
11-02-2006, 02:05 PM
There is still a Tiny's in Marshfield...right off the exit.
Hmmm...

My brother lives in Marshfield, and my birthday's coming up.

:hmmm:

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Otto's burgers in WestPort.

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Yorks SteakHouse - Independence Ctr.

KCChiefsMan
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
when I grew up in Massachusetts, Papa Murphy's Pizza, and local seafood restaurants that I can't remember the names of. When we moved to Kansas it was mostly Taco Tico, McDonalds and Wendy's. Granted we hardly ever ate out, maybe once every few months.

Redrum_69
11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
The name of the Sea food restaurants....their name wasn't Legal Sea Foods by chance was it?

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
The name of the Sea food restaurants....their name wasn't Legal Sea Foods by chance was it?
Those are still around, not exactly yesteryear ( although I haven't read this thread). I grew up with those up there.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...

My brother lives in Marshfield, and my birthday's coming up.

:hmmm:

its a dump.

PunkinDrublic
11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Texas Tom's- Who could forget those tacky looking neon signs.

Mrs. Winners Chicken- On 87th street in Overland Park near where the library was built. Once when I was like 10 I wrote that the cashiers were real stinky on the customer comment card. A Mcdonalds was put in years later.

Don Chilitos on Johnson Drive- Parents took me there to eat for years. Used to order the Dons plate.

Showbiz Pizza on Bannister road- My second grade little league team had an after game party there. I wasn't told until I was 19 that the bear on stage playing in a band was actually a robot and not the same as the one that brought out the cake and helped sing happy birthday.

Stewie
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Pizza Queen - 95th and Antioch. We begged the owner to stay in business!

King's Food Host - On State Line for Sunday Fried Chicken.

PunkinDrublic
11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
A couple more since this thread made me a little nostalgic for my KC upbringing. Meyerhoffs in Westport. A restaurant called Po Folks somewhere in Overland Park.

John_Locke
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Sub and Stuff

Grandys

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 04:41 PM
A couple more since this thread made me a little nostalgic for my KC upbringing. Meyerhoffs in Westport. A restaurant called Po Folks somewhere in Overland Park.

Po Folks has to be the worst restaurant concept ever created. "Hey, are you poor? Can you not afford to buy food that's not spoiled? Then come on in! Have we got a taste treat for you!"

My parents used to like them, and I refused to go. I'd stay at home and eat overcode bologna.

PunkinDrublic
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Po Folks has to be the worst restaurant concept ever created. "Hey, are you poor? Can you not afford to buy food that's not spoiled? Then come on in! Have we got a taste treat for you!"

My parents used to like them, and I refused to go. I'd stay at home and eat overcode bologna.

ROFL Yeah I know I used to hate it when I got dragged to that place when I was a kid. I would be psyched because we were going out to eat and then get real pissed off when I found out I'd be eating at that shithole.

John_Locke
11-02-2006, 04:49 PM
My grandma used to manage a Peter Pan. I believe she was the first "woman" manager at that time but that was late 60's early 70's.

I have one of the malt machines from her store. It was all I asked for when she died

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Poor Po' Folks. The one on Bannister went great guns for the longest, because it was good food for a good value. MoF, for at least the first year, they were one of the few restuarants those days with a sizable contingent of patrons waiting in the foyer. They had folding chairs lined up 5 wide and 4 deep.

In retrspect, when it started out, I'd put it doing southern/soul food as not as good as Lamberts, but way better than Cracker Barrel.

But like everything else, portions got smaller, quality waned, prices rose.

Things fall apart, I guess.

EDIT: They live after all. http://www.pofolks.com/

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Actually, the concept behind Po' Folks was more, Bill Anderson musing "Hee Haw is a decent show, if only they took out the music and replaced it with more corny jokes. I should turn that into a dining experience."

PunkinDrublic
11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Poor Po' Folks. The one on Bannister went great guns for the longest, because it was good food for a good value. MoF, for at least the first year, they were one of the few restuarants those days with a sizable contingent of patrons waiting in the foyer. They had folding chairs lined up 5 wide and 4 deep.

In retrspect, when it started out, I'd put it doing southern/soul food as not as good as Lamberts, but way better than Cracker Barrel.

But like everything else, portions got smaller, quality waned, prices rose.

Things fall apart, I guess.

That's why I remember hating that place so much. We'd wait what seemed like forever to be seated only to be served that awful food.

Spott
11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Are there any more Jack in the Box's in KC? When I was a little kid, I used to go to that one in Raytown on 63rd St(it's an Applebees now). I still have some Jack in the Box mason jars that they gave out back in 76.

Stewie
11-02-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't think so. There was one at 95th and Mission Rd. a long time ago, but it turned into a Burger King... I think. Less Jack in the Box = Less E-coli.

Baby Lee
11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
That's why I remember hating that place so much. We'd wait what seemed like forever to be seated only to be served that awful food.
Do you dislike the entire ouevre, or just Po's in particular?

We've always been a Southern-fried Soul Food kind of family. So we were holding out hope to the bitter end. Though eventually even my Mom admitted it had gone to crap.

Adept Havelock
11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips!

I also enjoyed a great little Italian Place out at Ward Parkway called Rich and Marty's.

Nzoner
11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Is the Bucket Shop in south St. Joe still around?

Nope,it's long gone but my Aunt has their beefburger recipe

KChiefs1
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I grew up in Raytown during the '60's so I remember....

Smak's, King's(you ordered over the phone in your booth...pretty cool) & of course Funhouse Pizza.

dtebbe
11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Texas Tom's- Who could forget those tacky looking neon signs.

Hey, was this all you can eat mexican served cafeteria style? This may be the place I was thinking of...

DT

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 06:34 PM
he said Grandys. Wow forgot all about that one...

Mosbonian
11-02-2006, 07:08 PM
from when i was real young and up north. the A&W in Excelsior springs and the pizza joint w/ the clown painting that burned.

And the burger cafe type place downtown. My Grandfather took me there.

Rays?????

Before it was A & W it was a Maid-Rite Hamburger spot.....

Also....Rays was the only place to go after a Baseball Game at Siloam Field. In fact..most of the time we just left the cars parked at the ball park and walked up.

Something you might not know, Ray used to cook hamburgers for the whole football team on Fridays before the game. A couple of times after we beat Marshall or Liberty he would bring down hamburgers for the whole team on Monday after practice.

Sam Sandy's was pretty good too....he hired most of the Cheerleaders to be the Car Hops.

mmaddog

VonneMarie
11-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I grew up in NC, so my favorites were... PD. Quix, Bojangles and Shoney's. :drool:

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I grew up in NC, so my favorites were... PD. Quix, Bojangles and Shoney's. :drool:

yep. I see Bojangles on my way to Asheville every year, off White Horse Road.

Mosbonian
11-02-2006, 07:22 PM

What about Holly Farms, Matt's, and Chic-Fil-A?

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Anyone in KC remember a place that was on the hill overlooking the bottoms area called Baby Doe's? It was supposedly a restaurant that was once a working mine (that was the story they told you even though it wasn't true).

mmaddog

Bwana
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
My dad ran A&W restaurants starting when I was in fifth grade, and ending when I was a senior in high school. You can't beat icy cold A&W root beer made on site.

A&W was the first one to come to mind when I saw the thread. They had the bext french fries on earth. There are still some around Montana and Wyoming, but the food has gone down hill.

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
A&W was the first one to come to mind when I saw the thread. They had the bext french fries on earth. There are still some around Montana and Wyoming, but the food has gone down hill.

Yep we have one here in Suwanee. It's actually a KFC/A&W and I understand they used to be much better than they are now.

VonneMarie
11-02-2006, 07:46 PM
What about Holly Farms, Matt's, and Chic-Fil-A?

mmaddog
Never heard of those...

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Never heard of those...

Chick Fil A saturate Atlanta pretty good Chicken Sandwich.

Mosbonian
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Never heard of those...

Holly Farms was NC's version of Kentucky Fried Chicken....

Matt's was the precursor of Bojangles....

Chic-Fil-A is still around....but mostly in the SE.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM

They actually have a Chic-Fil-A on the campus here in Columbia...but nowhere else in town.

mmaddog

dtebbe
11-02-2006, 07:54 PM

The founder of Chic-fil-a Truett Cathy lives about 5 miles from me... the crazy old guy about burnt himself up last summer burning brush on his farm.

Chic-fil-a is a class organization from the top down. Hands down the best managed restaurant chain in the country.

DT

dtebbe
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM

There is still and stand-alone A&W in Booneville, on the Business 70 loop. That was a big treat for us when we were kids to go there for a frosty mug.

DT

Simply Red
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
They actually have a Chic-Fil-A on the campus here in Columbia...but nowhere else in town.

mmaddog
One in O.P. KS.

Deberg_1990
11-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Chic-fil-a is a class organization from the top down. Hands down the best managed restaurant chain in the country.

DT

Chic-Fil-A's are big down here in Texas. They do seem a little classier than the average fast food chain. Pretty neat that they close all their stores on Sundays.

Donger
11-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Perhaps this has been covered, but what was the taco place on the top (third) level of Metcalf South, SW corner?

headsnap
11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Perhaps this has been covered, but what was the taco place on the top (third) level of Metcalf South, SW corner?

WOW, that just dredged up memories that I thought were gone forever!!!!!

Metcalf South was my back yard. I grew up on W 98th St...

Donger
11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
WOW, that just dredged up memories that I thought were gone forever!!!!!

Metcalf South was my back yard. I grew up on W 98th St...

101st and Metcalf for me. We probably stomped the same turf.

KChiefs1
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I just remember a restaurant in Tipton, MO that was on the corner & was brick...I remember were eating there one time when Walkin' Joe Teasdale came in & was eating at the same time we were.....

Can't remember the name though.

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2006, 09:44 PM

I think that was a Taco Via as well. There was one on 75th & Metcalf and the one there, IIRC.

KChiefs1
11-02-2006, 09:46 PM

1. A&W (Rolla for the most part)
2. Johnny's Smoke Stak (Rolla)
3. Ed Lentz's (Richland)
4. Calvert's Cafeteria (Springfield, it was our post-church tradition)

I was through Rolla about two years ago & went to Johnny's....still the best place to eat in Rolla.:clap:

Donger
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I think that was a Taco Via as well. There was one on 75th & Metcalf and the one there, IIRC.

Yep, that's it! Taco Via. I can see the sign/logo now.

headsnap
11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Yep, that's it! Taco Via. I can see the sign/logo now.
Down a level I worked at Topsy's Top Dog for a short while... :)

KChiefs1
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Putch's cafeteria..in the LL of Blue Ridge Mall.

My sister-in-law used to be a waitress there in the 60's while she was in high school at Raytown HS.

Another one I just remembered....after our prom we went to V's off Blue Ridge...is it still there?????

KChiefs1
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Now that you mention it, I believe they did. They were primarily in the Omaha/Lincoln, NE area, but I seem to remember one on 50 Highway in Raytown. I remember when we used to visit my grandparents in Nebraska, we used to always go there for my birthday. They would bring you out a little cake with the trick candles on it. There was one on the I-80 interchange near Greenwood, NE (Alvo Road). It's been gone for years.

King's was the name...loved that place when I was a kid because my parents would let me "phone" in the order.

Donger
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Down a level I worked at Topsy's Top Dog for a short while... :)

Heh. I worked for a day at the Orange Julius on the lower level, across from the fountain.

redbrian
11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Walking distance from the house as a kid was,

(Original) In a Tub (Corner of Cherry and N Oak)
Griff’s (Cherry St)
Pizza Hut (Cherry St)

A little drive north

Hays Burgers (Vivion)
The Forum (I think that’s the right name at the Antioch Shopping Ctr)

Riverside

Dog N Suds (take your own gallon jug in a get root beer)

North Town

Black’s Sweet Shop (one of my uncles ran that, got free shakes as a kid)

Downtown

Town N Country (Broadway)

As you can tell from this list I was taken to only the finest establishments in town.

headsnap
11-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Heh. I worked for a day at the Orange Julius on the lower level, across from the fountain.
my sister worked at Hobby Haven, THAT ROCKED!!!

KChiefs1

I think there is still a Griff's in Sedalia...

Dartgod
Anyone in KC remember a place that was on the hill overlooking the bottoms area called Baby Doe's? It was supposedly a restaurant that was once a working mine (that was the story they told you even though it wasn't true).

mmaddog
Yep, and I think they had to close it because the structure was unstable (or the ground it was built on was anyway). There's one in Dallas and it also is on the side of a bluff. i ate there a couple of years ago when there on business.

It was called Baby Does Matchless Mine.

Dartgod
11-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I grew up in Raytown during the '60's so I remember....

Smak's, King's(you ordered over the phone in your booth...pretty cool) & of course Funhouse Pizza.
I thought I remembered a Kings in Raytown. The Cheese Frenchee rocked!

boogblaster
11-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Used to be this place in Howard Ks. called Fred's.."ole Freddie" sat there behind the counter and cooked your burger and fries fresh..standing room only,with 2 booths..used to trade him home-grown for burgers......

redbrian
11-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Great place in Springfield MO was Red's out west of town on the mother road. Had one of the first drive up window's in the country.

Made his own soda, a Red's burger and home made root beer was a killer meal.

RJ
11-02-2006, 11:12 PM

Yes, over 30 years. My memory of this place would be about 1968. It was near a grocery called Milgrims......are those still there?

Anyway, I confirmed with my mom that Paul Bunyan's was the name and there was indeed a Paul Bunyan statue involved.

Bugeater
11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Are you sure it wasn't a chef and when you pushed the button it talked?
You're thinking of Happy Chef.

Halfcan
11-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Shakees Pizza and also BIG BOY with the two-story talking statue. That was the coolest-I love that place.

Halfcan
11-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Grandees was pretty good too.

Simply Red
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
V's I forgot about V's. Is it still around?

Bearcat
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Annes Sante Fe.

Always wondered what happened to it... we went to the one at Bannister Mall a lot when I was a kid and Bannister Mall was cool.

I worked at the Stephenson's north of the river in high school, just before it closed... we always went to the one in Jane, MO when on vacation down that way, too.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
V's I forgot about V's. Is it still around?

Yep still on 40, their frozen stuff at the store is pretty good.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Shakees Pizza

Good lord, that brings back memories!!! I used to love their long wooden benches and as a kid, we used to watch the guys throwing the dough in the air while making pizzas. I remember the lighted display of the smiling fat dude in the red/white bib holding up a plate of pizza. Oh man, Shakee's!!! I thinking I'm crying now....

Simply Red
01-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Always wondered what happened to it... we went to the one at Bannister Mall a lot when I was a kid and Bannister Mall was cool.

I worked at the Stephenson's north of the river in high school, just before it closed... we always went to the one in Jane, MO when on vacation down that way, too.

Funny I used to go to the one at Bann. Mall as a kid. It was really good.

Simply Red
01-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Yep still on 40, their frozen stuff at the store is pretty good.

wow. Been open a while!

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall)

Ahhh geezus...I used to eat there all the time...loved their sanchos with the big tomato slices.

Simply Red
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Heres one that used to be by cool crest off 40.

Las Playas.(SP)

MadMax
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I thought I remembered a Kings in Raytown. The Cheese Frenchee rocked!

Damn! I loved those cheese frenchies!!!! :) :thumb: There was a Kings right between a Chevy dealership (where I bought an 89 corvette) and King Louie bowling alley...Close to North Oak trwy...Good memeories,wish I could go back :(

Simply Red
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall)

Ahhh geezus...I used to eat there all the time...loved their sanchoes with the big tomato slices.

We preferred it over that Taco Bell place.

How bout Antonios Pizza?

MadMax
01-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Hayes was an awesome place to get some delicious greasy grub 24-7...There was one on N.Brighton too.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Some of my favorite "yesteryear" places in KC:

Winstead's: Haven't eaten there in ages, but when we were kids, our parents used to take us there for the skyscraper sodas for our birthdays.

Graziano's: Good italian...not the best, but a classmate of mine's father owned this restaurant and we used to eat there as I kidded her while she worked.

Pizza Queen: Hands down the best hamburger pizzas evah.

Acapulco's: One of the first restaurant's besides Hayward's to land itself in the Corporate Woods area. Great mexican, but couldn't make it then 'cause the area was new and the expansion in the area then was slow.

Chartroose Caboose: Philly cheesesteak's are my favorites and Chartroose simply had the best damn sandwiches around.

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Rax's sammiches were decent, but their salad/hot food bar was great.
A smaller version of your typical Ponderosa/Golden Corral spread in a FF setting, but with better fare and tighter quality control.When I was a child, we ate at Rax in Lawrence, I believe. I have no recollection of the food.

Dartgod
01-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Chartroose Caboose: Philly cheesesteak's are my favorites and Chartroose simply had the best damn sandwiches around.
They're still around.

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
They're still around.

And they should be.

Next time I'm in KC, I'll have to stop by

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Joplin Folks:

When I was very young, there used to be a pizza place in the NorthPark Mall where you could order your food using a phone at the booth. This was probably late 70's/early 80's, and was around where the current food court is (I think). Any ideas?

Thanks for helping to fill in a sketchy childhood memory.