PDA

View Full Version : STLTODAY.COM - Chiefs game will be ugly, too, if defense doesn't improve

Hammock Parties
11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
The San Diego Chargers ran all over the Rams. They also exploited Jim Haslett’s defense by throwing to their superstars at tight end and running back.

Now the Rams are preparing to face a similar offensive team, the Kansas City Chiefs.

Wish Haslett luck, because he faces a challenging week of practice. His personnel is what it is, so the defensive staff will have to coach ‘em up . . . or else this next game could get ugly.

The Rams’ defensive shortcomings were obvious during the 38-24 loss.

“We had no turnovers and we didn’t tackle very well,” Haslett said. “We had five missed tackles that led to big plays. Our two things going into the game were, ‘Let’s get some turnovers and we’ve got to tackle.' We did neither one very well.”

Here are a few specifics:

The Rams allowed too many “explosive” plays: “They had five runs for 123 yards,” Haslett said. “Then they had 30 runs for 80-some yards.

“The one run, we had a guy unblocked in the hole and he didn’t make the tackle. The corner missed the tackle, so they got a 50-yard run on it. The 38-yard run, we just weren’t sound. There were like four or five people that screwed up on it. When we messed up, we messed up as a whole. It was a good team effort on that standpoint.

“The tackling part of it, the cracks where the corners are going to have to fit in, guys staying in their gaps -- those are the things we have to clean up.”

They didn’t get the Chargers into tough down-and-distance situations: “We did a good job this week in practice stressing getting turnovers,” he said. “You have to put yourself in position to get them. You have to get them in third-and-longs, some situations where you can get after the quarterback and do those type of things.”

They overran some plays with their speed: “They gave us a lot of misdirection runs, some counters, some different things. We overran some things.

“But I don’t think that is what hurt us in the long run. Their basic play is a power game. They’re a power football team, double-team, kick out, get angles on people and run at you. We knew that going into it. We didn’t execute. We didn’t hold up on that kind of running game very well.”

They lost their discipline: “Guys were getting frustrated yesterday trying to make plays,” he said. “Consequently what happens is, you start being unsound in what you try to do defensively.”

They failed to adjust to offensive tweaks: “They did some different things we hadn’t seen and we just didn’t adjust to it very well,” Haslett said. “I’ll take the blame on that. We have to be more conscious, do a better job to adapt to what they did to us during the middle of the game.

“They do a lot of shifting and motion. They do a great job of creating mismatches with the running back (LaDainian Tomlinson) and the tight end (Antonio Gates). They came out and got us in a couple of man-to-man coverages. Will Witherspoon matched up on LaDainian. You have a great player covering a great player and their player beat us once or twice. That is something you have to live with.”

Their blitzes had just mixed success: “The third-down ones worked pretty well,” he said. “First or second down, we got kind of limited because of what they were doing.”

Fixing all this will take more than the return of linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, who will try to play through elbow and hand injuries. The Chiefs will bring a power-running scheme to The Ed with all-pro running back Larry Johnson.

He is a different type of runner than Tomlinson, but just as dangerous.

“It’s another challenge for us,” Haslett said. “A lot of similarities. We’ll see how we come back. We’ve got to come back and play better than we’ve played the last game and a half.

“We’ve got our work cut out for us. We’re going to have to rally.”

If you have an extra magic wand sitting around the house, you might want to send it out to Rams Park.

StcChief
11-02-2006, 06:48 AM
If you have an extra magic wand sitting around the house, you might want to send it out to Rams Park.Sorry don't have any dino-mite handy

donkhater
11-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Geez, that whole article sounded 'sit-upright-screaming-in-the-middle-of-the-night-with-cold-sweats' familiar.

Easy 6
11-02-2006, 07:01 AM
As Spurrier said "all those late nights didnt help hazelett did they???".

the Talking Can
11-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Geez, that whole article sounded 'sit-upright-screaming-in-the-middle-of-the-night-with-cold-sweats' familiar.

amen

keg in kc
11-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm getting a bad feeling about this game.

Brock
11-02-2006, 08:16 AM

That's only because you're paying attention. It's going to be tough to get a win there, IMO.

NJ Chief Fan
11-02-2006, 08:20 AM
im not expecting anything short of a shoot out, more than likely, the team with the final possesion will take this game.

stevieray
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
another team after a big loss...at home.

doesn't look promising, that's for sure.

Fish
11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Do I detect a Garcia Bronco scent on this article?

the Talking Can
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM

I had a bad feeling about this for awhile.

On the road.

Big play offense.

We'll see....

InChiefsHeaven
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
The D needs to step up. Last week wasn't even really a contest except for some breakdowns on D, especially Law. The muffed kick was hopefully just a fluke. We can't afford that kind of crap against a pissed off team at home. This article serves as a shot accross their bow...plus we really need this win since the Donks lost to them already.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I think we can beat them. Herm made it clear that the message he sent to the team on Wednesday is that there will be no moral victories. Play well and play hard. Don't let them get up on you, don't have mental breakdowns, etc. It's time to start playing well on the road, no matter what conference the team is in. If you want to win in January, you have to beat good teams on the road.

Brock
11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I think we can beat them. Herm made it clear that the message he sent to the team on Wednesday is that there will be no moral victories. Play well and play hard. Don't let them get up on you, don't have mental breakdowns, etc. It's time to start playing well on the road, no matter what conference the team is in. If you want to win in January, you have to beat good teams on the road.

Blah blah blah blah. They haven't beat a good team on the road yet.

DaFace
11-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Blah blah blah blah. They haven't beat a good team on the road yet.

The only thing is, the Rams haven't beat a tough team PERIOD except for the Broncos, and I'm of the opinion that week 1 games are complete toss-ups.

Rams wins:
Denver
Arizona
Detroit
Green Bay

Rams losses:
San Francisco
Seattle
San Diego

I'm not saying that we'll have an easy game, but these guys haven't really won a game that means anything yet, IMO. We've got a solid chance to come out of the game with a W.

InChiefsHeaven
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
How the hell did they lose to San Fran??

Mr. Laz
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
depends on what Chiefs team shows up.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde .... we should rename this year's team The Kansas City Sybil's.

boogblaster
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM
The Sheep dont have the D. too stop KC .. but does the Chiefs D. have D. to stop Sheep O .. should be a good game .....

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
How the hell did they lose to San Fran??

San Fran had more points at the end of the game.

CoMoChief
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm not worried at all this game. The Rams lost to the fuggin 49ers, and should have lost to Green Bay, Arizona, and barely squeezed one out in DET.

These guys suck. They can't stop the run, they cant rush the passer, their secondary is terrible. They can't run the ball effectively. Steven Jackson is overrated and is too indecisive in the backfield and dances around more than Rashan Salaam. I can't wait for Gun to send the dogs on Bulger. He can really make some dumbass decisions on the field. It really hasnt shown this season because they dont pass as much, but his stupidity is still there and all we need is some pressure to reveal it. Allen is not gonna have fun going against Pace all game though.

Warrior5
11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
...It really hasnt shown this season because they dont pass as much, but his stupidity is still there and all we need is some pressure to reveal it.

35 pass attempts/game (6th) vs 26 rush attempts/game (20th).

Bulger:
63% comp., 1946 yds, 12 TDs, 1 INT, 101.3 rating = stupid?

On Sunday around 3 p.m., you'll be either a prophet or a......

InChiefsHeaven
11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
San Fran had more points at the end of the game.

Genius! Then that's what we have to do! All in favor?

CoMoChief
11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
35 pass attempts/game (6th) vs 26 rush attempts/game (20th).

Bulger:
63% comp., 1946 yds, 12 TDs, 1 INT, 101.3 rating = stupid?

On Sunday around 3 p.m., you'll be either a prophet or a......

Most of their games this season they had to come back in or it was a shootout, but their offensive philosophy has changed from a pass happy its ok to throw an INT in Coach Martz to a run the ball to set up the pass in Scott Linehan.

Calcountry
11-02-2006, 02:54 PM
depends on what Chiefs team shows up.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde .... we should rename this year's team The Kansas City Sybil's.If the send the Dildo sales chicks to the Chiefs Hotel, we are done.

TinyEvel
11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
sounds like this might be the 2006 Chiefs (us,with the #9 defense) versus the 2004 Chiefs (them, with the crap defense)
I like our chances. You guys should stop talking like they've already sent the passion party chicks to STL.