PDA

View Full Version : What is the most interesting country in Europe? The least interesting?

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Assume that you're at a party, and you meet someone while you're both shoveling cheese and dip on a cracker. They appear to have an accent, and you ask them where they're from. They say [some country in Europe].

As someone at a social event, what's the best possible answer to that question? What's the worst answer?

Assume for these purposes that the person is a 60 year-old person of whatever gender (if any) that you're not attracted to. So you're not going to have wild bonobo sex with this person or anything; you're just going to chat with them at a party.

Sadly, I won't include a poll because there are too many nations to include both most and least as options.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Most interesting: Scotland.
Least interesting: England.

Iowanian
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Most: Espania
worst: Luxembourg

JBucc
Most Interesting:Greece
Least Interesting: Portugal

kregger
Most = Austria
Least = Luxembourg

CosmicPal
I've never been to Europe, so I don't know.

I'm hoping on taking a 2-week vacation to Europe in 2007, so I'll find out then. Right now, I'm interested in Prague, Vienna, Warsaw, Amsterdam, and Germany. I would also like to go to St. Petersburgh in Russia.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I would go with:

Most interesting:

1. Albania
2. Finland
3. Netherlands

Least Interesting.

1. Spain
2. Portugal
3. Slovenia

kregger
11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
I would go with:

Most interesting:

1. Albania
2. Finland
3. Netherlands

Least Interesting.

1. Spain
2. Portugal
3. Slovenia

Hey!! You didn't say we got 3 picks.

noa
11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Most interesting: Czech Republic
Least interesting: England

chagrin
11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I would go with:

Most interesting:
2. Finland

Heh, I will let you know how Helsinki, Finland is after I return from my visit there :)

Demonpenz
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
hugh grant

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey!! You didn't say we got 3 picks.

You don't. I do.

kregger
11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
You don't. I do.

Being a thread starter does have its perks.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Heh, I will let you know how Helsinki, Finland is after I return from my visit there :)

Ummm, I think you mean Helsinki, Sweden.

Iowanian
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
If anyone ever tries to bore you in conversation on Luxembourg, be sure to remind them that their Est 440k population is 87% Roman Catholic and has a 100% literacy rate is pretty good. The Largest Grand Duchy in the world, which a little smaller than Rhoad Island was overrun twice by Germany in the world wars, and its only real natural resource, Iron ore, is no longer extracted.

11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
If anyone ever tries to bore you in conversation on Luxembourg, be sure to remind them that their Est 440k population is 87% Roman Catholic and has a 100% literacy rate. The Largest Grand Duchy in the world was overrun twice by Germany in the world wars, and its only real natural resource, Iron ore, is no longer extracted.
http://www.slingsnarrows.com/images/buckwheat.jpg

Simplex3
11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Most: None of them
Least: All of them

Truthfully it will be entertaining over the next 50 years to watch each EU country decide whether to become police states or wield to the hordes of Muslims and be subjected to Sharia.

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM

When did they move Helsinki from Estonia?

chagrin
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I have to say that Eastern Europe has laways been interesting to me:

Finland
Most of Western Russia (I guess it's technically Asia though)
Norway, Sweden - so it's 4 or 5

Montenegro
Luxembourg
Serbia

chagrin
11-02-2006, 02:26 PM

Donger, you are incorrect - it is Helsinki, Finland

Otter
I was berated and ostoscized by the rest of the party for being insensitive to his accent.

Basileus777
When did they move Helsinki from Estonia?

Right after they stole it from the Finnish.

Most: Sweden
Least: Switzerland

Most:Italy
Least:Bulgaria

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Donger, you are incorrect - it is Helsinki, Finland

Not a big Die Hard fan, eh?

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I actually yelled at a girl yesterday who asked if I was Irish.

I felt a little silly afterwards, but still.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I actually yelled at a girl yesterday who asked if I was Irish.

I felt a little silly afterwards, but still.

You have some irish traits then.

chagrin
11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Not a big Die Hard fan, eh?

I have always wanted to go there for some reason, and am doing so in January, the coldest month of the year, yay!

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Least Intersting-Andorra
Most Interesting-too numerous to select just one, so I guess it will have to be Lichenstein. :p

Seriously, right now it's Italy for me as I want that to be my next European trip...for about a month: including art & cooking classes.

Donger
You have some irish traits then.

No. Getting falling down drunk every night and blowing up little children have never been traits of mine.

Donger
I have always wanted to go there for some reason, and am doing so in January, the coldest month of the year, yay!

To Sweden?

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 02:32 PM
I hear Octoberfest in Belgium rocks

noa
11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Most: None of them
Least: All of them

Truthfully it will be entertaining over the next 50 years to watch each EU country decide whether to become police states or wield to the hordes of Muslims and be subjected to Sharia.

Yes, many European countries face demographic and social problems, but that doesn't mean that they aren't interesting.

Otter
11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Irish DWI Test

Safe for Work

noa
11-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I hear Octoberfest in Belgium rocks

Belgium is a country to behold. Their national food is french fries, and they have amazing beer, amazing chocolate, and amazing waffles. Its a great place for indulgence.

chagrin
The Largest Grand Duchy in the world,

It's also the only Sovreign grand duchy as well

Simplex3
Yes, many European countries face demographic and social problems, but that doesn't mean that they aren't interesting.
Yes, those social issues are what make them interresting. Otherwise they're just old.

htismaqe
Germany has always been my favorite place in Europe.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Europe is a den of mediocrity, trying desperately to hold to its former glory.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Irish DWI Test

Safe for Work

Those are Scots, not f*cking Irish.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Germany has always been my favorite place in Europe.

Even circa 1933 - 1945?

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Belgium is a country to behold. Their national food is french fries, and they have amazing beer, amazing chocolate, and amazing waffles. Its a great place for indulgence.
Now that you mention it, I've never had a desire to visit Belgium...but my daughter's best friend's Dad is from there...and that is what they make most of the time for food...including things like chervil soup and Belgian stew with beer. The fries have a different flavor too. It's all delicious. When they visit they come back with chocolates for us. I woulda' never thought that country would be gastronimically that interesting.

Otter
Those are Scots, not f*cking Irish.

Attatchment was labled Irish. Which begs the next question; how the hell can you tell from that clip whether they're Irish or Scotish?

chagrin
To Sweden?

FINLAND!

Dude, sometimes it's exhausting chattin with you, lol!

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Attatchment was labled Irish. Which begs the next question; how the hell can you tell from that clip whether they're Irish or Scotish?

Because I can distinguish between the accents OF THE TWO DIFFERENT F*CKING COUNTRIES.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:43 PM
FINLAND!

Dude, sometimes it's exhausting chattin with you, lol!

So, are you going to go to Stockholm as well?

noa
11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Europe is a den of mediocrity, trying desperately to hold to its former glory.

Its hard to pin down an entire continent like that. Sure there are countries that fit this description, but it is a big continent. Take the Czech Republic for example. It isn't trying to hold on to its former glory because it wasn't fully independent until recently (part of various empires, then occupied by the nazis and the commies). Now its a very interesting place to be. I'm sure there are countries that you can appreciate, even if you don't like the big names like England, France, Italy, etc.

chagrin
11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
So, are you going to go to Stockholm as well?

Sir, I beseech you - no more!

Donger
Its hard to pin down an entire continent like that. Sure there are countries that fit this description, but it is a big continent. Take the Czech Republic for example. It isn't trying to hold on to its former glory because it wasn't fully independent until recently (part of various empires, then occupied by the nazis and the commies). Now its a very interesting place to be. I'm sure there are countries that you can appreciate, even if you don't like the big names like England, France, Italy, etc.

I don't have time to lump all the Europeans into one big, happy group.

BucEyedPea
Donger,
England is one of my favorite European countries, if not of all countries. I'd have to say England and Italy would be my top 2 in Europe. Been to England twice and want to go again. It's just so rich in history and the stomping grounds of literary giants both male and female. I love it's rolling hill greenery dotted with stone hamlets and abbeys and the people are great. Think I'd dig Scotland and Wales too.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Donger,
England is one of my favorite European countries, if not of all countries. I'd have to say England and Italy would be my top 2 in Europe. Been to England twice and want to go again. It's just so rich in history and the stomping grounds of literary giants both male and female. I love it's rolling hill greenery dotted with stone hamlets and abbeys and the people are great. Think I'd dig Scotland and Wales too.

England used to be great. Now it's a rotting carcass of puss-filled whiney, miserable assholes.

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
England used to be great. Now it's a rotting carcass of puss-filled whiney, miserable assholes.
Well, 'eh, okay if'n you wanna put it that way. Personally though, I love British men.

noa
11-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Did your testes get stomped by Wayne Rooney too?

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, 'eh, okay if'n you wanna put it that way. Personally though, I love British men.

What do you like about them?

Donger
Did your testes get stomped by Wayne Rooney too?

I don't know who that is. But, I'd imagine the answer is no.

Rain Man
I seriously want to go to Albania. I'll bet I could combine it with a trip to Italy.

Simplex3
11-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Funny how she uses the former existance of old people to justify it's current greatness.

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I can't explain it...just one of the mysteries of life. Ya' know like the chemistry thing.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I seriously want to go to Albania. I'll bet I could combine it with a trip to Italy.

I can't hear the name of that country without thinking about Coach from Cheers.

Simplex3
11-02-2006, 02:56 PM
PS, they don't look like James Bond.

Donger
11-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Peh. I do.

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM

:hmmm: Well, that character, if'n one goes by the flicks, ranges from a stocky brunette, to a tall blonde, to a skinny brunette...so I haven't a clue what that means.

Oh and btw, did I mention I adore the character of James Bond and read all the novels. Sexy!

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM

Ok - so is BEP a female then?

Simplex3
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Peh. I do.
http://www.klast.net/bond/images/laz_69.jpg

I suppose BEP might find that attractive... :shrug:

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok - so is BEP a female then?
Hermaphrodite. :p

noa
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know who that is. But, I'd imagine the answer is no.

I'm guessing you don't care much for soccer clips, but this is worth watching if you want to do some England bashing.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OxhdsI-wk8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OxhdsI-wk8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.klast.net/bond/images/laz_69.jpg

I suppose BEP might find that attractive... :shrug:

The little silver midget?

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing you don't care much for soccer clips, but this is worth watching if you want to do some England bashing.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OxhdsI-wk8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OxhdsI-wk8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Oh. A soccer player.

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Nope I don't find that Bond ( actor) posted above as attractive.
I know I'm in the minority but I thought Tim Dalton was sexy, although not exactly handsome, and my fave Bond movie is the first one he appears in "The Living Daylights." It was that movie that created my interest in renting all the old movies and reading the Ian Fleming novels.

In real life,my two major relationships were WASPs ( Brit or Welsh descent), tall over 6', slim ( but not skinny) with caramel colored hair.

ptlyon
11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Hermaphrodite. :p

Wanna take a trip to Amsterdam?

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
In real life,my two major relationships were WASPs ( Brit or Welsh descent), tall over 6', slim ( but not skinny) with caramel colored hair.

Yikes.

* running for the exit *

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Wanna take a trip to Amsterdam?
Been there. Done that.

Otter
11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Because I can distinguish between the accents OF THE TWO DIFFERENT F*CKING COUNTRIES.

Care TO ****ING EXLPAIN WHAT YOU DISTINGUISHED????

I didn't realize Comedy Central was so detail oriented.

chagrin
11-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Nope I don't find that Bond ( actor) posted above as attractive.
I know I'm in the minority but I thought Tim Dalton was sexy, although not exactly handsome, and my fave Bond movie is the first one he appears in "The Living Daylights." It was that movie that created my interest in renting all the old movies and reading the Ian Fleming novels.

was any of that necessary?

chagrin
11-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Yikes.

* running for the exit *

nauseating :shake:

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Care TO ****ING EXLPAIN WHAT YOU DISTINGUISHED????

I didn't realize Comedy Central was so detail oriented.

There are distinct differences between an Irish and a Scottish accent.

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
nauseating :shake:

Damn. Not even a little funny?

chagrin
11-02-2006, 03:32 PM
NO! I am still suffering from the donger/qt thread

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
NO! I am still suffering from the donger/qt thread

I don't know why. We're the ones that did all the work.

chagrin
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, Yes I know - nevermind sir - carry on. You were distinguishing Irish and Scot...

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 03:39 PM
I can't hear the name of that country without thinking about Coach from Cheers.

Al - Ba - Ni - Ahhhhh
Al - Ba - Ni - Ahhhhh
It borders onnn
The A - Dri - Atic!

big nasty kcnut
11-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Most ireland cause i have a aunt and cousins from there.

Least france bunch of chesse eating surrender monkey.

Otter
11-02-2006, 03:43 PM
There are distinct differences between an Irish and a Scottish accent.

Upon further review it was written and directed by BBC Scotland. I stand corrected, no need for CAPS however.

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Al - Ba - Ni - Ahhhhh
Al - Ba - Ni - Ahhhhh
It borders onnn
The A - Dri - Atic!

ROFL

I just found a .wav file of that.

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Upon further review it was written and directed by BBC Scotland. I stand corrected, no need for CAPS however.

I was kidding, BTW. There aren't many folks in the US that can tell the difference. I suppose it is pretty subtle, but to my ears, it's distinct.

Donger
11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-F_tT-q8EF0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-F_tT-q8EF0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
If we associate countries with music like that You Tube says, then it'd have to be France for me. I always think La Marseillaise right off the bat prolly 'cause I learned it in school and can still sing it in French.

Écoutez ici! (http://french.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://marseillaise.org/francais/audio.html)

Allons enfants de la patrie,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé

:evil:

See what you made me do Donger!
You got me marchin' around singin' this now. :p

PunkinDrublic
11-02-2006, 04:29 PM
As much as I liked Ireland, driving around the countryside gets old real quick. Nothing but rolling hills and sheep. The people are friendly as hell and the rocky seaside cliffs are spectacular. I can't believe people are saying England but I guess it depends on where you go. I spent a bunch of time in London and then went to Cornwall all the way out to Lands end. It was anything but boring.

BucEyedPea
11-02-2006, 05:12 PM
As much as I liked Ireland, driving around the countryside gets old real quick. Nothing but rolling hills and sheep. The people are friendly as hell and the rocky seaside cliffs are spectacular. I can't believe people are saying England but I guess it depends on where you go. I spent a bunch of time in London and then went to Cornwall all the way out to Lands end. It was anything but boring.

Well I for one like driving around the countryside. Much like Ireland with sheep too. It too has some cliffs. I think if you're into history and/or literature and theater, one can enjoy England a lot...and still have fun for the low-brow stuff like the pubs. London has got so much going on I can't see how anyone could be bored there. English people are quite friendly and cheerful I found...and can have wild fun too. Of course I was a Diana aficiondo too.

Based on what I've heard of family that've been to Ireland, even to visit relatives, the men drink all day in the pubs and are bums.Not much else but those sheep I guess.