PDA

View Full Version : Why LJ is the best, IMO.

penchief
11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
What other running back can carry the load like LJ? Alexander? Nope. LT? Nope. Tiki? Nope.

Those guys all benefit from a diverse offense that puts the ball in their hands with the partial benefit of surprise. With LJ, defenses know that he's option 1a and 1b. And because of that they stack the line and designate their spies.

That alone makes his dominance remarkable. Put any of those other backs in LJ's shoes and they'd be less, IMO.

I also believe that there isn't a GM in the game that wouldn't trade either one of those guy for Larry if they had the opportunity.

Mecca
11-05-2006, 05:48 PM
LJ's great and all but he's carrying to much of the load......he's gonna end up like Eddie George at this rate.

|Zach|
11-05-2006, 05:50 PM
LJ's great and all but he's carrying to much of the load......he's gonna end up like Eddie George at this rate.
Wow, thank god for this post.

Everything you ever predict turns out to be wrong.

LJ has just been blessed with the touch of god.

penchief
11-05-2006, 05:52 PM

If you're talking about a superstar being overworked wouldn't the better comparison be Earl Campbell?

Easy 6
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Superman

Mecca
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
If you're talking about a superstar being overworked wouldn't the better comparison be Earl Campbell?

Either or........it's just a fact when guys see a ton of touches for a season they tend to start falling off.

Zach can screw with me about things I say but you can pull up history and look what happens when guys have 400+ touches......drafting another RB in 2 years is what it points to.

tk13
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Tomlinson once caught 100 passes in a season. Only missed 1 game in six years. He's probably the other guy I'd put up there.

Rain Man
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I think another reason for Larry's dominance is that he's hard to tackle.

penchief
11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I think another reason for Larry's dominance is that he's hard to tackle.

He hates being tackled.

UteChief
11-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I love LJ but I would put LT on the same level.

Deberg_1990
11-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Either or........it's just a fact when guys see a ton of touches for a season they tend to start falling off.

Zach can screw with me about things I say but you can pull up history and look what happens when guys have 400+ touches......drafting another RB in 2 years is what it points to.

I agree with your points but its not like we have much of a choice right now. Would you prefer to see Huard put it up 40 times a game???

LJ is our main weapon so you ride that horse untils he croaks.

morphius
11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
LT has always been number one option in SD as well, heck he is even likely to toss in the TD and he gets a ton of touches in the passing game as well.

Now I don't see a lot of Tiki, and he hasn't been in the end zone much this year.

Logical
11-05-2006, 06:09 PM
LT carried the load with no tight end, no WRs and no offensive line for his first 3 years I have no Idea where you get this idea penchief. LT > LJ

the Talking Can
11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
LJ had 27 carries today...much better than last week...need a bit more Bennett but LJ is so damn good...

penchief
11-05-2006, 06:28 PM
LT carried the load with no tight end, no WRs and no offensive line for his first 3 years I have no Idea where you get this idea penchief. LT > LJ

I disagree. LJ has is a monster. LT is quicker and with better hands, but that is all, IMO.

IMO, LT is more of a system back whereas LJ is the kind of back that when you have absolutely nothing else you can hang your hat on him and still win.

Put LT in our backfield right now. Do you really think he'd do better than LJ?

Don't get me wrong. I respect LT. But my top three are in this order:

1. LJ
2. Shaun Alexander
3. LT

The main reason being that........ if you had to hand the ball off to any running back in the league with no blockers who would you hand it off to? LJ is the most pure runner in the league, IMO. He's dominant in the open field and he's got the leg drive to get short yardage.

Logical
11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I disagree. LJ has is a monster. LT is quicker and with better hands, but that is all, IMO.

IMO, LT is more of a system back whereas LJ is the kind of back that when you have absolutely nothing else you can hang your hat on him and still win.

1. LJ
2. Shaun Alexander
3. LT

The main reason being that........ if you had to hand the ball off to any running back in the league with no blockers who would you hand it off to? LJ is the most pure runner in the league, IMO. He's dominant in the open field and he's got the leg drive to get short yardage.Yes I think LT would do better than LJ but not by much.

penchief
11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes I think LT would do better than LJ but not by much.

You may be right but I will respectfully disagree with you, sir.

tk13
11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Tomlinson is a "system" back?

penchief
11-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Tomlinson is a "system" back?

I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that he is part of a very fluid system in SD. Right now, our offense is in transition and the burden is heavy on LJ. I doubt LT has to face 8 or 9 in the box on nearly every running play.

milkman
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM

1. LJ
2. Shaun Alexander
3. LT

The main reason being that........ if you had to hand the ball off to any running back in the league with no blockers who would you hand it off to? LJ is the most pure runner in the league, IMO. He's dominant in the open field and he's got the leg drive to get short yardage.

Alexander ahead of Tomlinson?
No ****in' way.

LT carried that Charger team before they had anyone else there.
They had no one that could block.
They had crap at QB and WR, and TE.
They were horrible in every way imaginable, other than LT, and he still managed to put up 1600 yard seasons with 70-100 catches.

He's not a system back.
He IS the system

1.Tomlinson
1a. LJ
3 Tiki.

Mr. Laz
11-05-2006, 06:48 PM
does LJ seem completely disinterested when he goes out as a receiver to anyone else?

kcxiv
11-05-2006, 06:49 PM
LJ's great and all but he's carrying to much of the load......he's gonna end up like Eddie George at this rate.LJ is 27 already, has Barely played a full season, Run his ass into the ground i say. If he can do it let him do it.

kcxiv
11-05-2006, 06:51 PM
does LJ seem completely disinterested when he goes out as a receiver to anyone else?
nope, 78 yard reception was nice, He's made numberous plays recieving, the only reason why he drops the ball at times, is becuse he takes his eye off the ball to early, and is trying to get upfield.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM

No, that's just his body language. I think he always wants the ball.

runnercyclist
11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
nope, 78 yard reception was nice, He's made numberous plays recieving, the only reason why he drops the ball at times, is becuse he takes his eye off the ball to early, and is trying to get upfield.

He wasn't even looking back on the dump off that was almost inercepted.

I think LT is a better back today,but LJ will be better as soon as he learns to be a receiver.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-05-2006, 07:42 PM
LJ is a better runner, LT the better receiver. LT is more of a homerun threat, LJ may be the hardest back in the NFL to bring down.

They are both great, great backs. I think it's a 1 and 1a discussion. Alexander isn't in their class, IMO, and even then, he's a wonderful back.

GoHuge
11-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Well it's LT or LJ. Take your pick. The last two weeks the only guy to outgain LJ was LT. In my opinion LJ can get more done on his own then LT because of his size and strength, but LT is so dynamic he is more of a homerun threat. The last two weeks they've both rushed for over 150 yards. I can't see how you can say one is an all around better back than the other. You can say LJ is better than LT at doing something and vice versa but there both so unbelievable it's a coin flip.

Deberg_1990
11-05-2006, 08:02 PM
They are both great, great backs. I think it's a 1 and 1a discussion. Alexander isn't in their class, IMO, and even then, he's a wonderful back.

Hes not with stats like this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5048/career;_ylt=AnU5fCYXxOLG4x.I1t2DTiT.uLYF

Alexander has to be the most underappreaciated back in history.

This whole discussion is fun but overall moot. Any team would be blessed to have anyone of these guys.

whoaskew
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Hes not with stats like this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5048/career;_ylt=AnU5fCYXxOLG4x.I1t2DTiT.uLYF

Alexander has to be the most underappreaciated back in history.

This whole discussion is fun but overall moot. Any team would be blessed to have anyone of these guys.

Yeah, any team except my fantasy team this year. (still kicking myself for having to take Alexander with the third pick in the draft since LJ and LT were already chosen)

Deberg_1990
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, any team except my fantasy team this year. (still kicking myself for having to take Alexander with the third pick in the draft since LJ and LT were already chosen)

You should have known from the Madden Curse thing. One of the guys in my league this year refused to draft him for that reasoning alone. He looks like a genious now.

petegz28
11-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Eddie George was never as good as LJ

Deberg_1990
11-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Eddie George was never as good as LJ

Agreed. The longest run of his career was in his rookie year.

Its not even close. George didnt have near the speed that LJ had.

kcfanintitanhell
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
The only negative rep, IMO, is LJ's inability to handle the short out or swing passes on a consistent basis. Especially when he sees a wide open field in front of him.

Crashride
11-05-2006, 09:25 PM
The only negative rep, IMO, is LJ's inability to handle the short out or swing passes on a consistent basis. Especially when he sees a wide open field in front of him.

Ive only seen him drop two this season...both last against the seahags

kcfanintitanhell
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Ive only seen him drop two this season...both last against the seahags

Didn't he drop one today?

Hammock Parties
11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
No, that was a bad pass.

Mecca
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Agreed. The longest run of his career was in his rookie year.

Its not even close. George didnt have near the speed that LJ had.

It was just an example of a player who was good that got pounded into the ground.........