PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green vs Damon Huard... it is time to take sides

FloridaMan88
11-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Who is your starting QB when Trent Green is healthy enough to play... time to take sides.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 02:05 AM
We drew a line in the sand last year with Priest and LJ. People bitched about it no end, so whatever.

FloridaMan88
11-06-2006, 02:05 AM
TRENT TRENT TRENT TRENT TRENT

http://www.tahoecelebritygolf.com/Photos/UpClose/2005/images/green-trent.jpg

SPchief
11-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Vote should have been public.

Btw, there is NO QUARTERBACK CONTROVESY in Kc. Trent WILL START when he is ready. Give it a rest people

Direckshun
11-06-2006, 02:08 AM
I have to vote for Huard.

I said last week that I'd withhold judgment until after four straight games against great teams.

Huard went 3-1.

I absolutely have to vote for Huard.

Phog Allen
11-06-2006, 02:11 AM
No matter how well Huard is playing Green still gives a better chance to win and is much more adept at running the O.

RealSNR
11-06-2006, 02:15 AM
We drew a line in the sand last year with Priest and LJ. People bitched about it no end, so whatever.Priest was ineffective in all the games he played in, though. He never did get going that season. Trent didn't even have time to fall flat on his face this season

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Priest was ineffective in all the games he played in, though.

The thread I posted was before the season began.

greg63
11-06-2006, 02:18 AM
TRENT!!!

luv
11-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Is there going to be a Trent vs Damon poll every week now? Sheesh!

tk13
11-06-2006, 03:16 AM
There's one side to this. Herm Edwards' side, everybody else can go fly a kite. I sure hope the team sees it that way.

KurtCobain
11-06-2006, 03:19 AM
trent

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2006, 04:56 AM
If things are working, why the **** would you want to even risk messing that up?

This is not even remotely close to being a Grbac-Gannon "I think he's better, anyways" situation, but you still keep going with what works. If we throw Trent out there and he's rusty, we could end up losing a game because of it and really hurt our playoff chances.

Red Dawg
11-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm with Trent. I can't turn my back on my hommie. Damon has been more than great but so has Green for five years.

Fairplay
11-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Trent is da man!

The Bad Guy
11-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Give me Huard.

The whole Grbac/Gannon thing put a sour taste in my mouth.

Green isn't Grbac, but I have a real hard time sitting someone down who is 5-2 as a starter.

I think messing with any chemistry when you're on a roll is a mistake.

I love Trent, will have no problem when he is the starter, but I think Huard should be the guy.

Here's a hypothetical. If Trent falls on his face, will all the fans who wanted Green in lineup be mad at Herm?

OldTownChief
11-06-2006, 06:10 AM
You bring Trent back for the Raider game, basically a practice game anyway. Huard has done a great job but Green will start.

chagrin
11-06-2006, 06:31 AM
I have to vote for Huard.

I said last week that I'd withhold judgment until after four straight games against great teams.

Huard went 3-1.

I absolutely have to vote for Huard.

Not to be picky, but 4 "great teams"???

Fairplay
11-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Lets everyone get together in a vacant lot.

People who are for Huard gets on one side. We will call them the Bloods.

People who are for Green we will call the Crips.

A gang war will ensue. Team still standing at the end wins.

chagrin
11-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Fairplay - your idea has "West Side Story" written all over it - LOL!

StcChief
11-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Green without a doubt.

Fairplay
11-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Fairplay - your idea has "West Side Story" written all over it - LOL!

I want to be on the opposite side that lj4mvp is on. %(/ :# :rockon:

The Bad Guy
11-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Green without a doubt.

That's silly.

Of course there are doubts.

We are Chiefs fans. We've suffered through a similar situation 10 years ago.

Huard has been way, way, way above expectations.

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Without a doubt it should be Trent Green.

patteeu
11-06-2006, 07:29 AM
I think Trent should eventually be the starter again this season, but I voted for Huard because I think they should ease Trent back in after he is cleared to play. Let Huard continue to start for a week or two while working Trent in (hopefully after the Chiefs are comfortably in the lead) for a few series to shake off the rust. Treat it like a situation where you are transitioning to a young, talented but inexperienced QBOTF and you are trying to ease him into the speed of the game.

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Give me Huard.

Green isn't Grbac, but I have a real hard time sitting someone down who is 5-2 as a starter.

I love Trent, will have no problem when he is the starter, but I think Huard should be the guy.

Here's a hypothetical. If Trent falls on his face, will all the fans who wanted Green in lineup be mad at Herm?

I was on the fence until I read your post.....and not only is Huard a 5-2 starter, he has only 1 interception and an unreal passer rating for a back up qb. I think you stay the course until he shows something that says oh,oh...what has happened to Damon?

Bwana
11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
I just want the best player out there I hope Herm has the stones to play the best man for the job. No one knows how Trent is looking in practice, or how he will perform once he is in a live action situation. I hope he does well, but if not, I wouldn’t have any problem with Huard being our starter. All he has done is win games for us.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Trent, but if he gets in there and stinks it up for a few games, it will likely cost us any hope of a playoff spot. Bottom line, I hope Trent steps in and does great, If that is not the case, I hope Herm doesn’t wait until after it’s to late to put Huard back in. In spite of me thinking Trent is a “good guy” this a still a harsh business and if you don’t start the best man for the job, it will cost you………see Dickey V for the pervious 5 years.

cdcox
11-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Things are going well now. We are beating some mediocre teams on the road and some good teams at home. But in the playoffs, sooner or later we are going to have to play some of the best teams in the league on the road.

Things have been going about as good as you could expect in the passing game. LJ is rolling. The OL has been providing better protection. Defenders are dropping interceptions and a guy who has a clear shot at Huard falls down. We've been taking a limited number of shots per game, which means every time you pass, you are using one of your best passing plays and it comes as a relative surprise to the defense. Our single-read scaled-down passing game is working under these optimum conditions.

What happens when a really good run defense shuts down LJ and we have to rely on the pass to open things up? What happens when Denver locks up Champ Baily on Gonzo? What happens when we play the Colts or NE and they carve up our secondary and put us behind early? Does anyone think this offense is capable of scoring nearly every possession? Who wants to see Huard in a road playoff game against the Baltimore defense?

If we are going to have any success in the playoffs, we are going to need to lift our game to the next level. Trent Green gives us the best chance of doing that. You bring him back now so he has a chance to get tuned up. You aren't giving up much letting Green play when rusty because 12-4 and 11-5 both probably leave us with a wild card because of the tiebreakers.

If Green comes back and plays bad and Huard is unable to recapture the magic, so be it. At least you failed trying to be the best you can be, instead of settling for a journeyman QB running a scaled back offense where it has very little chance of succeeding in a road playoff game.

KCSupersized
11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I voted for Trent. I still think he gives us the best chance to win.

cdcox
11-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't wait until Huard screws up to replace him. You drop one or two games by doing that, then it takes Green a couple games to get going and the season is over.

Or worse, Huard waits until the playoffs to melt down and you don't get a chance to fix it.

KCinNY
11-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I love Trent but why mess with a good thing?

redbrian
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Give me Huard.

I guess you would have benched Dawson.

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I love Trent but why mess with a good thing?Because!

Brock
11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Trent Green has operated the best offense in the NFL for years.

It's a non-discussion, IMO.

bkkcoh
11-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Trent Green has operated the best offense in the NFL for years.

It's a non-discussion, IMO.

Agreed :toast:

alnorth
Huard is a backup for a reason. The chiefs drastically simplified their gameplan, relied on LJ, and did whatever they needed to do to ensure that Huard doesnt screw up.

He is a great backup who will get a pay raise as an unrestricted free agent next year, but I'd bet a lot of money that Huard wont find a starting job with any team, settling to be a well-compensated backup.

Anyone who starts Huard over a healthy and rested Trent is an ignorant fool.

Saulbadguy
I'm torn.

Huard has the 2nd (!!) best passer rating in the NFL. 11 TD to 1 INT. He is on pace for the Pro Bowl.

How do you sit him down?

Bwana
11-06-2006, 08:24 AM
It's not a black and white case guys. May Trent go in there and light it up, I really hope he does. That will put an end to all of this. If he goes in and stinks it up for two games, this board is going to implode. You think there a lot of these threads on the topic now, not to mention reporters writing articles, and radio shows going on about it................ just wait.

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm torn.

Huard has the 2nd (!!) best passer rating in the NFL. 11 TD to 1 INT. He is on pace for the Pro Bowl.

How do you sit him down?
I'm torn also. Trent has been the best QB we have ever had since Lenny the cool. But in the NFL if you mess with momentum mojo you are playing with fire. We saw our season go down in flames when Marty messed with the mojo.

Sorry Trent you are a KC legend and its completly unfair and wrong for you to lose your job due to an injury.

But Damon's passes have been lights out. You can't possibly throw the ball better than he is right now.
Damon stays out of fear of messing up the mojo.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Give me Huard.

I can't believe people are still going on about 1997.

Gannon was 5-1 as a starter. Grbac was SEVEN AND TWO, not counting week 17. Grbac had better numbers all the way around, and let's not kid ourselves:

That team revolved around the defense.

The right decision was made in 1997. Anybody that thinks Gannon would have won that playoff game is fooling themselves.

This team revolves around Larry Johnson. And anybody that thinks that keeping Huard and his leash just because they don't want to lose some magical mojo is also fooling themselves.

Put the start back in.

cdcox
11-06-2006, 08:52 AM

Gannon was 5-1 as a starter. Grbac was SEVEN AND TWO, not counting week 17. Grbac had better numbers all the way around, and let's not kid ourselves:

The right decision was made in 1997. Anybody that thinks Gannon would have won that playoff game is fooling themselves.

This team revolves around Larry Johnson. And anybody that thinks that keeping Huard and his leash just because they don't want to lose some magical mojo is also fooling themselves.

Put the start back in.

:clap:

We had two loser QBs on the roster in '97.

Lzen
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Green is the starter. I have no problem putting him back in. If he comes back and looks bad for a game or two, I might consider going back to Huard. But unless that kind of thing happens, Green deserves his spot back. Of course, I also believe there is a point of no return. If Green is not back by mid December and Huard is still doing well, keeping Huard in may be the best choice.

Saulbadguy

Put the start back in.
His leash? He's made some great throws - and very few mistakes. Huard is NOT "on a leash".

BigRedChief

Put the start back in.

I agree, LJ is the heart and soul of this team.

But I'm going to disagree with your dissing the magical mojo. Games are not won on paper. Look at the latest version of mythical mojo carrying a team, our 2006 Cardinals WS Champs! they were not the most talented team in the playoffs. They got the mojo rolling and went all the way.

I'm not saying the results would have been any better with Gannon all I'm saying is messing with the mythical mojo of a team on a roll is very dangerous and could stop the momentum dead in its tracks.

Brock
11-06-2006, 09:02 AM
His leash? He's made some great throws - and very few mistakes. Huard is NOT "on a leash".

15 passing attempts is pretty much "on a leash".

Hydrae
11-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Simply put, look at Huards numbers. Not the touchdown to interception ratio. Not the uber passer rating. Look at things like number of passes and number of yards. I am sorry, Damon has done great for us and I am not taking anything away from him on that front but Trent would be getting us as much as 50% more in that area. LJ is doing great but I honestly think he would be doing better with Trent throwing the ball and keeping defenses that much more honest.

Bottom line for me, Huard has done extremely well but Trent is still the better QB.

htismaqe
I agree, LJ is the heart and soul of this team.

But I'm going to disagree with your dissing the magical mojo. Games are not won on paper. Look at the latest version of mythical mojo carrying a team, our 2006 Cardinals WS Champs! they were not the most talented team in the playoffs. They got the mojo rolling and went all the way.

I'm not saying the results would have been any better with Gannon all I'm saying is messing with the mythical mojo of a team on a roll is very dangerous and could stop the momentum dead in its tracks.

The St. Louis Cardinals WERE the most talented team in the playoffs. One of the reasons they had a dismal regular season is because they suffered through long stretches where guys like Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds were injured. When those guys got healthy, they played, even Rolen, who hadn't played well down the stretch or in the first two playoff series'.

Green is the undisputed leader of this team. To bench him in favor of a leashed backup would hurt any mojo, if it exists.

Saulbadguy
Why pass when we can run the way we have been?

I'd agree he was on a leash if all his throws were high percentage, low yardage passes...but they are not.

Like I said - i'm torn. I'll go with my gut and say Green should start, but IMO, it is not as black and white as many are saying.

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Green is the starter. I have no problem putting him back in. If he comes back and looks bad for a game or two, I might consider going back to Huard. But unless that kind of thing happens, Green deserves his spot back. Of course, I also believe there is a point of no return. If Green is not back by mid December and Huard is still doing well, keeping Huard in may be the best choice.

I agree with each and every point.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM

I'd agree he was on a leash if all his throws were high percentage, low yardage passes...but they are not.

Like I said - i'm torn. I'll go with my gut and say Green should start, but IMO, it is not as black and white as many are saying.

We're running the ball 40 or more times a game. And yes, a great majority of Huard's throws are "safe".

Frazod
11-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Nuthooks for anybody who would throw Trent to the crows after all he's done for us. This is his team.

siberian khatru
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
This is all gonna be moot when Huard loses the Miami game for us.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 09:11 AM
This is all gonna be moot when Huard loses the Miami game for us.

Yep.

Brock

Huard is making it hard to disagree. If he wins this next road game, it's going to be a much tougher decision.

The Dude Abides
Huard. Dont mess with success, thats all

Brock
11-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Huard. Dont mess with success, thats all

Except that I'm thinking that this team is all about the coach right now and not the QB.

R&GHomer
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Trent.
I'm eating my crow regarding Huard and couldn't be happier with his performance thus far, but Trent's been doing it for years and unless his egg is totally scrambled there is no good reason not to put him back in.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Except that I'm thinking that this team is all about the coach right now and not the QB.

Exactly.

Huard is a cog, but he's not even in the top 3 as far as factors contributing the team's success...

djwells
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Good grief! You've got to be kidding me. Green has been one of the top five QBs in the NFL for the past five years. Who knows, if he doesn't go down against the Bengals whether the Chiefs pull that one out of the fire (he did go down on a very good drive when the game was well within reach)? Also, whose to say that when he comes back the team doesn't do some big time rallying and blow the doors off?

The decision by ole Marty was made at a ridiculous time. Grbac was hurt early in the season and the change was made at playoff time. I will also say that Gannon was a different QB than Huard. Gannon was much more of a scrambler and had been a starter for the Vikings for a couple of years before being a backup in KC.

Marty rolled the dice at the wrong time and it bit us. Making the switch at week 10 gives the team the chance to rally for the stretch run.

the Talking Can
11-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I think we should tape Huard's name over Green's locker. So there's no doubt.

If that doesn't work, but a tub of nachos in his bed while he is sleeping, mafia style.

burt
11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
1) Herm has said repeatedly, Green is our STARTING QB
2) Green has produced FOR YEARS, Huard has produced FOR WEEKS.
3) Green has led this team for years. He has produced. Do you doubters have NO LOYALTY?
4) A player goes down due to injury. He loses his starting position. Now every player on that team is more concerned about injury than going full out. Waters gives up on a block early, because he MIGHT get injured. Kennison DOESN'T go up for that pass, because he could get injured. You can NOT start this dangerous precident. It's a blueprint for failure.

Some one said it last week. QB contraversy...good for the media....bad for the team. So.... STFU STFU STFU STFU

REDHOTGTO
11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
1) Herm has said repeatedly, Green is our STARTING QB
2) Green has produced FOR YEARS, Huard has produced FOR WEEKS.

could'nt have said it any better than this :clap:
what happens when we keep huard in, let trent sit then huard implodes in post season cause he has no experience? at least we have a nice fuzzy warm blanket waiting on us if trent gets hurt, but as i heard on tv the other day about this " your backup qb should be good enough to create a controversy "
PUT TRENT BACK WHERE HE BELONGS

teedubya
11-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm torn also. Trent has been the best QB we have ever had since Lenny the cool. But in the NFL if you mess with momentum mojo you are playing with fire. We saw our season go down in flames when Marty messed with the mojo.

Sorry Trent you are a KC legend and its completly unfair and wrong for you to lose your job due to an injury.

But Damon's passes have been lights out. You can't possibly throw the ball better than he is right now.
Damon stays out of fear of messing up the mojo.

you are right, Trent should probably start next week, so I can utilize my mojo to help Trent. Vs the Raiders... Im helpless. heh

The Bad Guy
11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
The St. Louis Cardinals WERE the most talented team in the playoffs. One of the reasons they had a dismal regular season is because they suffered through long stretches where guys like Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds were injured. When those guys got healthy, they played, even Rolen, who hadn't played well down the stretch or in the first two playoff series'.

Green is the undisputed leader of this team. To bench him in favor of a leashed backup would hurt any mojo, if it exists.

The Cardinals the most talented?

You can't be serious.

The Yankees were far and away the most talented.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
The Cardinals the most talented?

You can't be serious.

The Yankees were far and away the most talented.

Sorry, the Yankees have become extremely easy to forget.

That being said, the Cardinals are a very talented team top to bottom that suffered through injuries to the 3 biggest bats in their lineup. All 3 played in the series and they won. I fail to see how anyone is surprised.

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision.

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry, the Yankees have become extremely easy to forget.

That being said, the Cardinals are a very talented team top to bottom that suffered through injuries to the 3 biggest bats in their lineup. All 3 played in the series and they won. I fail to see how anyone is surprised.

comeon :rolleyes: No one, not even the most die hard homer of a Cardinal fan expected this team to do anything this year in the playoffs.

I still say the most talented team doesn't win the championship the majority of the time. It's having some talent, good talent and them you add in the mythical mojo and viola...championship.

banyon
11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Huard is a game manager, at best a Trent Dilfer clone. If we had the 00' Ravens defense that'd be swell.

Trent Green is able to put the offense into 5th gear if we are down a couple of scores, which Huard has yet to show he is capable of.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
comeon :rolleyes: No one, not even the most die hard homer of a Cardinal fan expected this team to do anything this year in the playoffs.

I still say the most talented team doesn't win the championship the majority of the time. It's having some talent, good talent and them you add in the mythical mojo and viola...championship.

Stop for a second and think WHY nobody expected it.

Mulder - hurt. Izzy - hurt. Pujols - hurt. Rolen - hurt. Edmonds - hurt.

I'm not saying momentum is non-existent. I'm saying you don't BENCH your best players in hopes that it can carry you to a championship.

chappy
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM

I think that has alot to do with on the Road gameplan: Keeping a scary good offense off the field, Having the best back in the League, and working the clock

Lzen
11-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Exactly.

Huard is a cog, but he's not even in the top 3 as far as factors contributing the team's success...

I don't agree with that. Huard has been a huge reason why we won the SD and Seattle game. LJ was obviously the focal point. But Huard was the one who put together nice drives with precision passes against the Chargers and Seahawks to put the Chiefs ahead.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't agree with that. Huard has been a huge reason why we won the SD and Seattle game. LJ was obviously the focal point. But Huard was the one who put together nice drives with precision passes against the Chargers and Seahawks to put the Chiefs ahead.

Let me make this more clear.

What did Huard do that Trent Green CAN'T do?

Huard did what was asked of him, nothing more.

Lzen
11-06-2006, 11:31 AM

I agree with that. I also agree with someone(don't remember who) that said Huard's rating is a little deceiving because he's had a bunch of passes nearly intercepted. Okay, it's not a bunch of passes. But there have been a few that probably should've been picked. Huard has been fortunate with those. His QB rating is higher than his actual ability as a QB. I'm glad we have him and I think he's done a fine job. Still, Green is better and is the starter when he's healthy.

CupidStunt
11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Huard.

Luzap
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
These are reasons there is so much confusion among fans (and things the media won't bring up). Hoefully it can help clear some things up...

Huard doesn't know the entire play book. False.
He's been our back-up for years and there's no reason to believe he's mentally challenged.

Huard is executing plays as well as Trent ever did. Mostly true.
With the exception of some early pocket-awareness/fumbling issues he is executing the plays he is given.

Our O play calling is much more restricted than in previous years. True.
IMO there are a combination of reasons for this:
Herm has a different philosophy. Solari is still learning to be an OC. They are calling the plays that Huard can execute.Huard is capable of executing the entire playbook as well as Green. Unlikely and unknown.
Example: To my knowledge, Huard has not been asked to make as many as 3 or 4 reads on passing patterns.
This is an argument of potential vs proven ability. As we go further into the playoff race and (hopefully) into the playoffs themselves, the need to throw new wrinkles at the defense, to make mid-game adjustments, and to come up with unanticipated gameplans/playcalling increases dramatically.

The coaching staff has proven itself and earned our trust. True.
None of the fans or media (with the exception of Gretz) thought Huard should remain on the team, let alone be our #2 guy. They were right, everyone else was wrong.

The coaching staff says Green will remain our starter. True.
What do the coaches know/see that we don't? Probably a lot. Whose opinion should I respect most? The fans? The media? I'll place my faith in Herm.

Luz
the gretz thing ~ that's got to hurt a lot... :)

Thig Lyfe
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I say Trent, but on probation. Yeah, it's not really fair, but if Trent can't keep up the pace, Huard should get back in there.

I don't think players should lose their jobs due to injury (except for Grbac, of course), but there should be somewhat of a short leash.

boogblaster
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
If you look at Huards numbers hes rated about 3rd..If you look at Greens whole carrer at Kc he's either 2nd or 3rd overall in the NFL....GREEN .....

Chief Faithful
11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
We're running the ball 40 or more times a game. And yes, a great majority of Huard's throws are "safe".

The praise I have for Huard is making good decisions and playing safe, which means few INTs. But, while Huard has far exceeded my expectations I say bring Green back as the starter.

Green understands this offense better than anyone and his ability to read and attack a defense is superior. Green has been the QB in many offensive shootouts and has proven the ability to move the offense when the game is on the line. Green is better at the screen pass to the flat and finally, Green does not play it "safe", which means with the return of Green we should see the return of the deep pass.

The one thing I do like better about Huard has been the re-emergence of Gonzo. But, is this because of Huard, Solari, LJ, or a combination? Hopefully with the return of Green we will see Gonzo do even more.

BigRedChief
11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm saying you don't BENCH your best players in hopes that it can carry you to a championship.

Can't argue with that. It's a prefectly valid question raised. What has Huard done that Trent can't do?

the only thing I see different is that Huard will force a ball into Tony G to let him make a play on the ball.

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
'02 KC - #4 in total yards of offense
'03 KC - #2 in total yards of offense
'04 KC - #1 in total yards of offense
'05 KC - #1 in total yards of offense
'06 KC - #14 in total yards of offense

'03 KC - #2 in passing yards
'04 KC - #4 in passing yards
'05 KC - #6 in passing yards
'06 KC - #18 in passing yards

The key differences...

Priest/LJ - a wash
OL - though the loss of Roaf hurts, according to LJ's increasing #s and the number of sacks allowed, the O-Line is starting to come together.

That leaves the Green/Huard factor. I believe this is the difference that contributes the most in the stats from years past and this year. IMO, leave Huard in and we manage some close wins - and possibly some losses too. Put Green back in and the O everyone was upset about being gone in Sept is back.

patteeu
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM

I don't know about "CAN'T," but on several occasions, Huard has demonstrated the ability to throw a damn near perfect long pass. Green struggles a little with the long pass and often underthrows the receiver. I'm not saying Green is horrible, just that based on a small sample size, Huard is better. I'm not sure Green would have completed that TD pass to Kris Wilson. Of course, I'm not sure Huard could do it a 2nd time either.

On the other hand, I think Huard has trouble with the short pass (screens and passes to the flat). Green is really good at these.

I also think Green is better at moving around the pocket and Huard has had trouble hanging on to the ball (again, of course, a small sample size).

I would guess, just based on experience, that Green is more thoroughly in command of the playbook (and, maybe more importantly, the way his personnel react in game situations and at game speed), but Huard has been in the system for 3(?) years now and hasn't shown many problems with the plays that have been called.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have given a big edge to Green in the intangibles/leadership area, but Huard has impressed here too. I'd still give Green the benefit of the doubt here.

patteeu
11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
'02 KC - #4 in total yards of offense
'03 KC - #2 in total yards of offense
'04 KC - #1 in total yards of offense
'05 KC - #1 in total yards of offense
'06 KC - #14 in total yards of offense

'03 KC - #2 in passing yards
'04 KC - #4 in passing yards
'05 KC - #6 in passing yards
'06 KC - #18 in passing yards

The key differences...

Priest/LJ - a wash
OL - though the loss of Roaf hurts, according to LJ's increasing #s and the number of sacks allowed, the O-Line is starting to come together.

That leaves the Green/Huard factor. I believe this is the difference that contributes the most in the stats from years past and this year. IMO, leave Huard in and we manage some close wins - and possibly some losses too. Put Green back in and the O everyone was upset about being gone in Sept is back.

You left out the key difference of Vermeil/Saunders versus Herm/Solari which might be relevant. For me the biggest difference though is the offensive line. LJ is a beast behind this OL, but behind the Roaf-led line, he was Godzilla.

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Is there going to be a Trent vs Damon pole every week now? Sheesh!That would be a tough decision for you?

Inspector
11-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I'd say if Trent goes back in as the starter and then gets hurt, put Huard in as his back up.

I know, I know...I'm going out on a limb here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.bryanadamick.com/CrownTheirAss/Images/tshirt.jpg

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I say, if we get up on a team late in the game. Let Trent come in for mop up, but until then, you go with the Hot hand. I am not saying that Trent isn't better, he is. I am just saying that you ride the pony until it gets tired, then change pony's.

Flustrated
11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Shannon Sharpe says "no way" Green starts again this year.
http://nfl.com/news/story/9781207

With a 4-2 record and a 100-plus passer rating, Damon Huard should remain a starter.
I don't see Byron Leftwich getting his job back as the starter in Jacksonville unless David Garrard falls apart. I know the adage is that you don't lose your job due to injury, but that doesn't fly with me. Coaches have a responsibility to their organization to put the best guy in there. Do you think Trent Green is going to get back in there? No chance. Bill Parcells left Jeff Hostetler in there when the Giants won Super Bowl XXV. Bill Belichick stuck with Tom Brady for Super Bowl XXXVI, even though Drew Bledsoe showed he was ready to play. Both of those worked out OK. If one guy is playing well, you leave him in there. It's as simple as that. Damon Huard had only 148 yards against St. Louis, but he also had three touchdowns. Bottom line: The Chiefs won. Huard doesn't deserve the second-guessing. He has won four of his six starts. That's what people should be talking about.

djwells
11-06-2006, 03:47 PM

With a 4-2 record and a 100-plus passer rating, Damon Huard should remain a starter.
I don't see Byron Leftwich getting his job back as the starter in Jacksonville unless David Garrard falls apart. I know the adage is that you don't lose your job due to injury, but that doesn't fly with me. Coaches have a responsibility to their organization to put the best guy in there. Do you think Trent Green is going to get back in there? No chance. Bill Parcells left Jeff Hostetler in there when the Giants won Super Bowl XXV. Bill Belichick stuck with Tom Brady for Super Bowl XXXVI, even though Drew Bledsoe showed he was ready to play. Both of those worked out OK. If one guy is playing well, you leave him in there. It's as simple as that. Damon Huard had only 148 yards against St. Louis, but he also had three touchdowns. Bottom line: The Chiefs won. Huard doesn't deserve the second-guessing. He has won four of his six starts. That's what people should be talking about.

Uh . . . I believe he's won 5 of his 7 starts. He is 5 - 2 as a starter and performed decently after Trent was hurt in game 1.

Halfcan
11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
TG

greg63
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM

Redrum_69
11-06-2006, 04:04 PM
no qb controversy

Green...hands down

Damon has been playing far above all expectations, but just below par compared to what green would be at. Green right now would be in his 7th straight 300 yard game

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Put Green back in and the O everyone was upset about being gone in Sept is back.

Do you realize we averaged 22.75 points per game last year through the first 8 games?

Do you realize we're currently averaging 22 points per game, without Roaf or Richardson?

banyon
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM

This should settle the matter. If Shannon donkeys Sharpe wants Huard to start, then we have to go with Green.

Raiderhater
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
This should settle the matter. If Shannon donkeys Sharpe wants Huard to start, then we have to go with Green.

That pretty well sums it up.

Raiderhater
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Nuthooks for anybody who would throw Trent to the crows after all he's done for us. This is his team.

Best post in the entire debate.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I hear you, frazod, but football isn't fair. JoPo said so in his column.

It wasn't fair when Green got hurt with the Rams and this isn't fair, either. It just doesn't make any sense to yank Huard. He has earned the right to be the starter.

siberian khatru
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Do you realize we averaged 22.75 points per game last year through the first 8 games?

Do you realize we're currently averaging 22 points per game, without Roaf or Richardson?

Those missing .75 points cost us the Denver game. Dammit, Herm! :cuss:

:p

Deberg_1990
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hell, lets just settle this one and for all.

I pick Brodie Croyle.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't wait until Huard screws up to replace him. You drop one or two games by doing that, then it takes Green a couple games to get going and the season is over.

Or worse, Huard waits until the playoffs to melt down and you don't get a chance to fix it.
Dude...so when we lose in the playoffs with Green we can all blame Herm/Green for not sticking with Huard?

This is dumb. Dumb.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Huard is a game manager, at best a Trent Dilfer clone. If we had the 00' Ravens defense that'd be swell.

Trent Green is able to put the offense into 5th gear if we are down a couple of scores, which Huard has yet to show he is capable of.
at best a Trent Dilfer clone?

Ok.

You no longer get an opinion on this subject.

Spott
11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I voted for Trent, but I also still think that when healthy, Holmes is better than LJ.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Here's the deal guys...

I'm sorry, but there is no loyalty in the NFL these days. Aren't we the same fans that cursed Vermeil for years for the loyalty bullshit?! Hicks, McCleon, etc...

I mean, in my opinion we were a 12-4 team last year had LJ been THE GUY from week 1, because he was obviously the better back, and PH was OBVIOUSLY washed up...

Comparing Green's past stats to Damon's this year is dumb. Green always had the offensive line, he had the offensive coaches, he had the running game...they had perfect balance. I bet Joey Harrington would've been a great QB had he been a Chief and had our system...

I'm talking about this year, the new philosophy...and the way we're playing right now.

TRENT GREEN IS MY FAVORITE CHIEF OF ALL TIME. CLASSY, GOOD LEADER, ALL AROUND GOOD GUY...

But I'm a Chiefs fan, and I'm ready to do what's best for the team, and right now I think Huard is best for the team.

If TG comes in and starts...can we expect a better offense? I don't think so...the best we can hope for is no fall off...

The risk is higher than the reward...if it isn't broke, let's not fix it. Simple. Huard is the guy.,

Hootie
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I voted for Trent, but I also still think that when healthy, Holmes is better than LJ.
Holmes at 28 might have been a more complete back than LJ...but Holmes at 32 isn't in the same league as LJ, not even close...and he's not even in the same league as 80% of the NFL running backs.

Priest was so bad last year that I actually threw away his jersey after the Philly game...no joke.

Sorry, I was pissed and couldn't believe LJ wasn't starting and leading our team to the super bowl...

We were EASILY a super bowl caliber team last year.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 04:56 PM

It wasn't fair when Green got hurt with the Rams and this isn't fair, either. It just doesn't make any sense to yank Huard. He has earned the right to be the starter.

You continue to use Trent's injury with the Rams as the comparison.

IT'S NOT RELEVANT.

Trent was out for the season, he wasn't going to play. There was no controversy, they had no choice but to play Warner.

What has Huard done to "earn" being a starter? He's done WHAT HE'S PAID TO DO. He hasn't done anything more. Furhtermore, what has Trent Green done to deserve getting benched?

This is the NFL. You send a message to your ENTIRE TEAM if you bench someone who was performing at a Pro Bowl level prior to an injury. It's a recipe for disaster. Which is why we're lucky that Herm isn't as fickle as you.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's the deal guys...

I'm sorry, but there is no loyalty in the NFL these days. Aren't we the same fans that cursed Vermeil for years for the loyalty bullshit?! Hicks, McCleon, etc...

I guess I missed the games where Hicks and McCleon were one of the 2 or 3 best players at their position in the NFL...

This has nothing to do with loyalty and has everything to do with common sense.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I guess I missed the games where Hicks and McCleon were one of the 2 or 3 best players at their position in the NFL...

common sense?

You're nuts.

Apparently you're smarter than every NFL analyst, every KC sports writer, etc. etc. etc.

You can be on the Green side, or the Huard side, but to say this is an "easy" decision is ridiculous.

Take off the blinders, bro.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 05:04 PM
common sense?

You're nuts.

Apparently you're smarter than every NFL analyst, every KC sports writer, etc. etc. etc.

You can be on the Green side, or the Huard side, but to say this is an "easy" decision is ridiculous.

Take off the blinders, bro.

ROFL

There's a reason that NFL analysts and writers are not coaches.

NFL coaches don't work on whimsy and fancy, like analysts, writers, and fans. There's a reason Pro Bowl caliber players don't lose their jobs after an injury.

Get over it, because in two weeks this whole conversation is over and you're gonna have to find something new to latch onto.

Raiderhater
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM

http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif And WTF has Green been doing these past 4 years? Just barely managing to get by? Good f#cking grief! Do you realize just how stupid this sounds?

F#ck me sideways... some of you people should NOT be allowed to procreate.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
well hopefully I'll latch on to some Chiefs wins...because Green or Huard, I only care about the W anyways...

Luzap
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
If TG comes in and starts...can we expect a better offense? I don't think so...the best we can hope for is no fall off...

So what happens when we get into December and/or the playoffs and need to make halftime adjustments where we scrap our gameplan and go to a wide open pass happy offense where Huard has to make at least three reads on every throw (something they haven't asked him to do)?

Huard has done well with what they've asked him to do, but if you think our QB isn't going to have to execute a larger percentage of our playbook before it's all said and done, think again.

Luz
try asking yourself why herm is so set on trent being the starter...

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 05:14 PM

IMO Herm is just saying all the right things right now. Green's return date will continue to be pushed back.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
So what happens when we get into December and/or the playoffs and need to make halftime adjustments where we scrap our gameplan and go to a wide open pass happy offense where Huard has to make at least three reads on every throw (something they haven't asked him to do)?

Huard has done well with what they've asked him to do, but if you think our QB isn't going to have to execute a larger percentage of our playbook before it's all said and done, think again.

Luz
I think Herm is a great motivator...I really do.

BUT THIS IS THE SAME GUY WHO LET CHAD PENNINGTON PLAY LAST YEAR WHEN HE WAS OBVIOUSLY HURT AND HAD NO BUSINESS BEING IN THE GAME.

I like Herm, great coach, he's proved it thus far...but in terms of his ability to rate how good a QB is, I'm not sold on...

suds79
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
wow. Just voted and apparently it's Trent Green in a landslide. That guy must have his starting spot etched in stone.

Well I hope everybody is right. I hope Trent lights the world on fire.

I'm just nervous we will look back and it'll be Grbac v Gannon all over again.

Hootie
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
It's skewed. I bet at LEAST 20% of the voters don't even watch the Chiefs games, or all of the Chiefs games...so they just vote for the popular name.

It's like when you vote politics...at least me...I'm like ****, I don't know who these faigs are...I vote Republican!

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
It's skewed. I bet at LEAST 20% of the voters don't even watch the Chiefs games, or all of the Chiefs games...so they just vote for the popular name.

It's like when you vote politics...at least me...I'm like ****, I don't know who these faigs are...I vote Republican!

Yeah, I'll bet that's exactly what happened.

Hell, I'll bet half of the members of Chiefsplanet don't watch the games. They just spend an inordinate amount of their time to come here and discuss something they have no vested interest in...

Raiderhater
11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
IMO Herm is just saying all the right things right now. Green's return date will continue to be pushed back.

Care to make some kind of wager on this?

banyon
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM
at best a Trent Dilfer clone?

Ok.

You no longer get an opinion on this subject.

What's disanalagous?

Decent rating, good record, low passing yards.

leviw
11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I take Green, but my only fear is that he'll start off sluggish in the first week or two, which is fine at home against Oakland but can't be afforded in a must-win game against the Broncos.

Pat Damon on the ass. Tell him great job and be ready if Trent goes down again. Trent's ability to stretch the field is going to make this offense better. No question.

And this Priest-LJ argument is stupid. Priest thrived behind the best offensive line in the last decade. His patience behind that line led to his success. Behind this line, Priest is, at best, an above average back. LJ's ability to break tackles and get stronger as the game goes on is why he's a better back with this particular offensive line.

Hootie
I think it's safe to say that, if we weren't rolling the way we have been, Green could've played and started in this last game.

Hammock Parties

Not really.

leviw
11-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I think it's safe to say that, if we weren't rolling the way we have been, Green could've played and started in this last game.

How is that "safe to say"?

DomerNKC
11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Trent will start as soon as he gets the sand out of his pu##y. man has rode the pine and cashed paychecks for the last two months because of a concussion. he has meant a lot to this team and he had a great run, but put a skirt on him when he runs out there.

leviw
11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Trent will start as soon as he gets the sand out of his pu##y. man has rode the pine and cashed paychecks for the last two months because of a concussion. he has meant a lot to this team and he had a great run, but put a skirt on him when he runs out there.

That's the dumbest post I've ever seen.

Your and idiot.

the Talking Can
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM

you and hootie should date....

Hootie
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
That's the dumbest post I've ever seen.

Your and idiot.
I think *hope* he was kidding.

leviw
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
I think *hope* he was kidding.

I'm willing to let him clarify. Better hurry, though.

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 10:46 PM

If I had spent as many years with the Donkeys as Sharp has, I'd be saying the same thing.

The fact that if Sharp is saying this, that in and of itself should point the Chiefs fans in the direction of Green.

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Hell, lets just settle this one and for all.

I pick Brodie Croyle.

Oh PUHLEEEEEZE! Croyle can't take the beating. Casey "Timex" Printers showed us in preseason that he can take the hits and keep right on playing.

I'm taking Printers!

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 10:51 PM

I missed that post. Hicks and McLeon are comparable to Green going to the bench? LMAO LMAO LMAO

The Total Combined IQ of the BB went up 15 points when I put him on iggy.

boogblaster
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Printers wouldn't get to carry my water bottle if I were king ......

Eleazar
11-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Put me on Green's side.

Nobody can tell me that Green can't make the throws Huard is making.

After Green has led this offense to however many 30+ point performances during his tenure, how can anybody say he couldn't have gone 10 of 15 like Huard was this week and got the team a win?

Damon Huard has been great, but he hasn't lifted this team just by himself. It's been an effort by every guy on the active roster every Sunday. And most importantly, the resurgent defense coming up with key plays.

If Green had been ineffective for 8 weeks and then gone down, and Huard had lifted the team by himself on the virtue of his arm into the playoffs, then go with Huard. But there's no reason to think Damon Huard is better than Trent Green. There's no reason to think Trent Green wouldn't have been winning these games.

He's the guy, it's his job.

Raiderhater
11-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Put me on Green's side.

Nobody can tell me that Green can't make the throws Huard is making.

After Green has led this offense to however many 30+ point performances during his tenure, how can anybody say he couldn't have gone 10 of 15 like Huard was this week and got the team a win?

Damon Huard has been great, but he hasn't lifted this team just by himself. It's been an effort by every guy on the active roster every Sunday. And most importantly, the resurgent defense coming up with key plays.

If Green had been ineffective for 8 weeks and then gone down, and Huard had lifted the team by himself on the virtue of his arm into the playoffs, then go with Huard. But there's no reason to think Damon Huard is better than Trent Green. There's no reason to think Trent Green wouldn't have been winning these games.

He's the guy, it's his job.

But, but, but the mojo man! You are gonna mess up the mojo!

greg63
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Is there going to be a Trent vs Damon poll every week now? Sheesh!

Well the race is tightening up. :D

Eleazar
11-07-2006, 12:09 AM
But, but, but the mojo man! You are gonna mess up the mojo!

So could somebody by posting a game thread if they aren't the guy who posts the thread against birdlike teams on the road on odd numbered days. Can't mess up the 'mojo' :rolleyes:

Raiderhater
11-07-2006, 12:16 AM
So could somebody by posting a game thread if they aren't the guy who posts the thread against birdlike teams on the road on odd numbered days. Can't mess up the 'mojo' :rolleyes:

Heh heh heh. My whole take on the mojo aspect is this, these guys rallied around a back up QB when the starter went down due to injury and have us in the playoff hunt. I would imagine that they can rally around the starter when he returns and keep us there.

Boyceofsummer
11-07-2006, 01:45 AM
will start on Thanksgiving.............lay a turd...............we lose with a FIRE HOT QB standing on the sideline looking like he wants to scream! This will make me sick and many on this board. I hope I am wrong. I'm betting I'm not. Telepathetic.

Rausch
11-07-2006, 01:49 AM
will start on Thanksgiving.............lay a turd...............we lose with a FIRE HOT QB standing on the sideline looking like he wants to scream! This will make me sick and many on this board. I hope I am wrong. I'm betting I'm not. Telepathetic.

"Noope. Just call a hurst..."

VonneMarie
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Dumbass.

burt
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Dumbass.

What?