PDA

View Full Version : KC @ MIA Primer

Warrior5
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
With the impressive win against the high-powered Rams in St. Louis, the Chiefs road record improved to 2-2, but they paid a price in terms of injuries. At 5-3, the Chiefs are still in the playoff hunt as they travel to Miami for their second consecutive away game. The Dolphins will be confident after pulling off possibly the biggest upset of the season in Chicago. Unlike last year, there’ll be no hurricane affecting game time. The 2-6 Dolphins, as evidenced by their dominating performance against the previously undefeated Bears, have talent on both sides of the ball. For a 2-6 team, Miami’s stats might surprise some of you:

KC Score O – 23 ppg (9) vs MIA Score D – 20 ppg (9)…wash w/homefield
KC Rush O – 121 ypg (9) vs MIA Rush D – 102 ypg (13)...wash w/homefield
KC Pass O – 202 ypg (18) vs MIA Pass D – 176 ypg (4)...adv MIA

MIA Score O – 17 ppg (25) vs KC Score D – 21 ppg (17)...adv KC
MIA Rush O – 97 ypg (23) vs KC Rush D – 113 ypg (16)...adv KC
MIA Pass O – 223 ypg (10) vs KC Pass D – 201 ypg (12)…wash

Turnovers:
MIA – 12 INTs & 3 fumbles in 8 games (-1)
KC – 4 INT & 10 fumbles in 8 games (+2)
Adv KC

Homefield Advantage: Dolphins

MIA Key Players (Wins: Titans, Bears / Losses: Steelers, Bills, Texans, Patriots, Jets, Packers):
QB Harrington – 1049 yds, 57% comp., 6 TDs, 9 INTs
RB Brown – 621 yds, 4.1 ypc, 4 TDs
WR Welker – 407 yds, 1 TD
WR Chambers – 357 yds, 4 TDs
WR Booker – 322 yds, 2 TDs
TE McMichael – 357 yds
DE Taylor – 20 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 INT, 5 FF
LB DT Traylor – 20 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF
LB Thomas – 50 tackles, 1 INT
DE Carter – 3 sacks
Key STL injuries: ?

Dolphins’ last game: dominated the Bears in Chicago by capitalizing on turnovers deep in Bear territory, winning 31-13.

KC Key Players (Wins: 49ers, Cards, Chargers, Seahawks & Rams / Losses: Bengals, Donks, Steelers)
QB Huard – 1623 yds, 64% comp., 11 TDs, 1 INT
RB Johnson – 816 yds, 4.1 ypc, 9 TDs
TE Gonzales – 504 yds, 3 TDs
WR Kennison – 425 yds, 2 TDs
DE Allen – 33 tackles, 5 sacks
DE Hali – 21 tackles, 3.5 sacks
OLB Johnson – 32 tackles, 4.5 sacks
P Colquitt – 47 yd avg., 13 I20
Key KC injuries (besides Green): CB Sapp (knee) - Q, OT Svitek (knee) - Q, LB Johnson (Ankle) - Q, LB Fox (shin) - Q, LG Waters (knee) - D, DE Hali (hip) - Q, Wesley (shoulder) - Q.

Chiefs’ last game: Chiefs cashed in 3 first-half TOs for 17 points from the normally ball-protecting Rams, while the D held the high-powered Rams’ O to 17 points to win 31-17. LJ rumbled for 176 yards and a TD while Gonzales, continuing to shine, hauled in 2 TDs. Injuries included DE Hali, OLB Johnson, OLB Fox, LG Waters, and LS Gammon, with Waters’ injury looking to have the greatest possible impact. Another great job from the patchwork O-line augmented at times by the TEs.

This game may actually be tougher than the Rams game. Because the Dolphins will be fired up at home after their impressive win in Chicago, the Chiefs will not take this game lightly. Miami’s strength is its D F7; KC’s patchwork O-line must somehow neutralize Taylor. Miami’s weakest link is QB Harrington; hopefully, injuries to most of the starters are minor, because the Chiefs desperately need the pass rush of Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson back ASAP. KC needs to continue its TO trend. I pick the Chiefs to win this game and return to Arrowhead 6-3 for the hated Raidahs.

cmh6476
11-06-2006, 10:58 AM
we're going to stomp a mudhole in the dolphins

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
we're going to stomp a mudhole in the dolphins

If we do, get your playoffs tickets.

Winning the 2nd game of a 2-game road trip is about as solid of a sign as a team can give, regardless of opponent.

Braincase
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
We've won 5 of our last 6. They are riding an emotional roller coaster, and after a huge win @ Chicago, I'm hoping for an adrenaline deficit.

KC 27, Miami 10

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Taylor is going to eat Black alive. Thats me biggest fear for this game.

cmh6476
11-06-2006, 11:10 AM

go piss in someone else's cheerios, would ya? :mad:

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Thought the same thing about Merriman and Williams. It didn't happen.

Thought the same thing about Wistrom and Peterson. And again, it didn't happen.

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 11:15 AM

Jamal Williams has nothing to do with Black, and I never had any doubts about our interior line. You have a point with Merriman though, but he seems to disappear in games alot.

Who thought that about Wistrom? He has been playing poorly all year. Peterson did have the big sack/FF, they just didn't blitz him more.

Its certain that Black is going to get owned by Taylor, but he will be the most dangerous pass rusher we have faced this year.

htismaqe
11-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Jamal Williams has nothing to do with Black, and I never had any doubts about our interior line. You have a point with Merriman though, but he seems to disappear in games alot.

Who thought that about Wistrom? He has been playing poorly all year. Peterson did have the big sack/FF, they just didn't blitz him more.

Its certain that Black is going to get owned by Taylor, but he will be the most dangerous pass rusher we have faced this year.

The simple fact is that both Seattle and San Diego have top pass rushing defenses. And neither succeeded in getting to the QB against a patchwork line.

Taylor will get his, but I think the days of expecting someone like him to DOMINATE a game are over.

JimNasium
11-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Taylor is going to get a big ole dose of number 89 in his grill.

TinyEvel
11-06-2006, 11:50 AM

I agree there. The multiple TE sets have done us well in protection so far, IMO.
I think they should sift through the injuries, figure out who's starting ASAP, and get those guys working together all week. (yeah, I know, master of the obvious)

PinkFloyd
11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Chiefs are on a freaking smokin' roller coaster !!! And this coaster is going to stop in Miami and do some serious ass whipping before getting back on board and stoppping at Arrowhead come Raider Hater Week...

Chiefs 34

Fins 17

boogblaster
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Native Americans have dined on fish for centuries...........

stevieray
11-06-2006, 12:01 PM

one of the most under the radar players we have.

he deserves major kudos.

Basileus777
11-06-2006, 12:01 PM

What about aquatic mammals?

Imon Yourside
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM

The most telling statistic of all, as it withstands the weathering of time. :clap:

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
This game may actually be tougher than the Rams game. Because the Dolphins will be fired up at home after their impressive win in Chicago, the Chiefs will not take this game lightly. Miami’s strength is its D F7; KC’s patchwork O-line must somehow neutralize Taylor. Miami’s weakest link is QB Harrington; hopefully, injuries to most of the starters are minor, because the Chiefs desperately need the pass rush of Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson back ASAP. KC needs to continue its TO trend. I pick the Chiefs to win this game and return to Arrowhead 6-3 for the hated Raidahs

.I have a different take. Crappy teams usually suffer let downs after big wins. They just beat the undefeated Bears, and are getting all proud and all that, but just remember this, "The Bears ARE who we thought they were."

kepp
11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
JYou have a point with Merriman though, but he seems to disappear in games alot.
That's just him going to the locker room for a little "pick me up".
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/medPics/images/syringe.jpg

Calcountry
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Winning the 2nd game of a 2-game road trip is about as solid of a sign as a team can give, regardless of opponent.It seems as if this team finally has just a bit of Grit.

How about our Coverage Special Teams yesterday. There were no big gains on kicks, and usually the first guy to make contact was making the tackle.

When was the last time we seen that with a DV coached team?

It is becoming increasingly apparent that DV=Soft players.

CupidStunt
11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
KC 24
MIA 3

Put that in your pipe.

Easy 6
11-06-2006, 12:52 PM

That IS scary, i bet we use every trick in the playbook to help 65 out. Like Braincase said though, i'm hoping for an emotional letdown from them. The fins pass D ranking and taylors sack totals are very shocking as well, taylor is having a monster year...yeah...yep...we better help ol' Blackie Lawless BIG TIME.

Direckshun
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
The Dolphins are really weak against the run. That's our coup de joure.

The Dolphins lone offensive strength is passing the ball. That's the strongest part of our defense.

We match up perfectly. We're going to beat the crap out of these folks, and it's going to be really, really satisfying.

KC 28, Miami 9.

ChiefaRoo
11-06-2006, 12:58 PM
KC wins as long as all the starters are back and playing well (we can use Welbourn or Bober for Waters and still be ok).

djwells
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Yep! Seems like I remember posts like this before the Monday nighter at Baltimore a few years back. R. Lewis was going to have a field day stopping Holmes and the Ravens would win big. Oh but wait, what happened? T-Rich and sometimes others in his grill with Holmes riding the blockers. We can run that TE trap/kick-out on him time and again, he gets up field and out of position, wham, there goes LJ around the left side for some whopping big yards.

Oh sorry, that's right. Dolphins don't get fried unless they're mixed in with the tuna. We're still going to lay waste to their play pool.

Warrior5
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
We're going to beat the crap out of these folks, and it's going to be really, really satisfying.

I don't know why, but I can't quit laughing at this comment...ranks up there with the "Marty's gleam" comment a few years ago.

Might become my new sig line; thanks Direkshun.

Direckshun
11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
I don't know why, but I can't quit laughing at this comment...ranks up there with the "Marty's gleam" comment a few years ago.

Might become my new sig line; thanks Direkshun.
My comments are in the public domain.

...although I might ask for a royalties.

Deberg_1990
11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Ronnie Brown is gonna run rampant against the Chiefs!!

Warrior5
11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
My comments are in the public domain.

...although I might ask for a royalties.

I only pay royalties with cyber pie.

Oxford
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
The Dolphins are really weak against the run. That's our coup de joure.

The Dolphins lone offensive strength is passing the ball. That's the strongest part of our defense.

If you look at the teams they played prior to the Bears, they struggled. Not much running attack, lots of passing yards. I think Harrington throws it 40+ and the Chiefs hold them on time-of-possession to less than 25 minutes.

Given that, they are going to see a lot of LJ and 2 TE sets. Chiefs (24-16)

Hammock Parties
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
The Dolphins are really weak against the run.

3.4 yards per carry. They are one of the better run defense teams.

Cntrygal
11-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I hope you kick Miami's asses. Keep an eye on Welker.

Deberg_1990
11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Classic trap game.....

Lets hope Herm keeps the boys focused.

and there are no passion parties in Miami this weekend....

Crashride
11-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Classic trap game.....

Lets hope Herm keeps the boys focused.

and there are no passion parties in Miami this weekend....

Well said. I have 100% faith that the chiefs can beat the tuna, but they cannot bust out there double headed dildos with viens just yet. They have to focus.

Simply Red
11-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Winning the 2nd game of a 2-game road trip is about as solid of a sign as a team can give, regardless of opponent.

Indeed

Sully
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
At some point we have to start giving Black a littl ebit of credit. We have played some very decent Ends the past few weeks, and they have been contained. Sure they made plays here and there, but we certainly ween't kept from doing what we wanted to do, as we felt we wee in Buffalo last year when Black was playing.
He will never be Roaf, or even John Alt (or even Vic Riley). But he's played good enough the past few eeks against some NFL names, and not been embarrassed at all.

tk13
11-08-2006, 08:20 PM
This is a game we should win. It is kind of a trap game because it is the 2nd game of a road trip and it's in a place we generally haven't played well. But when teams do win back/back road games... it's against teams exactly like Miami. Hopefully we don't go out and lay an egg.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling Ronnie Brown is going to run all over us like he did last year??

I kind of hope he does....since im starting him in fantasy this week....as long as the Chiefs win!

elvomito
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM

i agree. furthermore, we haven't played a lot of good football in florida, save last year's hurricane game. a win will be very very impressive to say the least

ChiefaRoo
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
This is a game we should win. It is kind of a trap game because it is the 2nd game of a road trip and it's in a place we generally haven't played well. But when teams do win back/back road games... it's against teams exactly like Miami. Hopefully we don't go out and lay an egg.

If KC doesn't win this game then they're not a serious playoff team. Miami is coming off a big win and KC has overcome adversity so the two teams should be matched emotionally speaking. KC has more talent but Miami is at home. Talent should prevail IMO.

elvomito
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
KC has more talent but Miami is at home. Talent should prevail IMO.injuries add up though. how long can the chiefs still succeed with starters going down?

Deberg_1990
11-08-2006, 08:51 PM
If we cant beat an inferior team on the road then we have no business in the playoffs.

FAX
11-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Standing by.

FAX

Easy 6
11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I hope you kick Miami's asses. Keep an eye on Welker.

You are right. That little dude is a player, a much faster Wayne Chrebet.

Wa-Z
11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
The only impressive thing that came out of the Dolphins during the Chicago game was their D - and that's because I think it was just one of those days for da Bears a la the Cardinals game. Sexy Rexy is one inconsitent bastard, and his favorite target was knocked out in the beginning of the game (watch out Kennison :) ). R.Brown racked up the yards with the lead.

BTW - Harrington did throw 3 TDs but he only completed 16/32 and threw 2 INTs. Usually that doesn't win games. This game was a fluke. Chicago would've lost that game once in a hundred times.

FAX
11-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Da Bears O played like a bunch of girl scouts worried about starting their period. In my humble view, they made the Miami D look a lot better than they are in actual fact.

FAX

Red Dawg
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
As long as LJ kills teams on the ground we will be in every game. Make Joey throw it and we will win.

Wa-Z
11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Da Bears O played like a bunch of girl scouts worried about starting their period. In my humble view, they made the Miami D look a lot better than they are in actual fact.

FAX

Good Point - Look at who they've played.

Steelers
Bills
Titans
Texans
Jets
Packers
Bears

I only see about 2 potent offenses in there.

Combined record of teams they played: 23-33
Combined record of teams they played w/o Bears and Pats: 10-30

FAX
11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
As long as LJ kills teams on the ground we will be in every game. Make Joey throw it and we will win.

Agreed. Our run game is the key to our success. No question, Mr. Tuckdaddy. Herm should take away Miami's defensive speed by the 3rd quarter by pounding them up the middle and owning TOP.

The only problem with this marvelous plan is the loss of Waters. I wonder how that will affect our ability to consistently gain yardage and first downs with the rush.

FAX

Basileus777
11-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Agreed. Our run game is the key to our success. No question, Mr. Tuckdaddy. Herm should take away Miami's defensive speed by the 3rd quarter by pounding them up the middle and owning TOP.

The only problem with this marvelous plan is the loss of Waters. I wonder how that will affect our ability to consistently gain yardage and first downs with the rush.

FAX

Pounding it up the middle is probably not the best idea against Miami, especially without Waters. The Fins have a bunch of big veteran run stuffers at DT, they are not easy to run on up the middle. We might have trouble running the ball on Sunday if we can't get yards on outside runs.

Too bad Huard isn't mobile, I would love to run the boot against Holliday.

FAX
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Pounding it up the middle is probably not the best idea against Miami, especially without Waters. The Fins have a bunch of big veteran run stuffers at DT, they are not easy to run on up the middle. We might have trouble running the ball on Sunday if we can't get yards on outside runs.

Point, Mr. Basileus777. Yet, Miami's speed on the outside is potentially problematic if we try to work the edges early with LJ.

Maybe we give the ball to Bigfoot a few times just to get their attention, then let LJ find out how well conditioned they are.

FAX

FAX
11-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Too bad Huard isn't mobile, I would love to run the boot against Holliday.

Missed your post regarding the boot, Mr. Basileus777. That's another great point. Your idea makes me wonder if we have a significant number of trapesque plays in the book.

Draws, delays, and traps might do the trick.

FAX

Deberg_1990
11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Pounding it up the middle is probably not the best idea against Miami, especially without Waters. .

Perhaps, but you always have to try and establish the run even if your not really gaining any significant yardage out of it.

Its more about controlling the clock, resting your defense for big plays late in the game and establishing a team identity.

The Steelers the past couple of years were a perfect example of it and played it to perfection. If you can control the clock and play hardnosed defense, you will never be out of any game.

FAX
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Perhaps, but you always have to try and establish the run even if your not really gaining any significant yardage out of it.

Its more about controlling the clock, resting your defense for big plays late in the game and establishing a team identity.

The Steelers the past couple of years were a perfect example of it and played it to perfection. If you can control the clock and play hardnosed defense, you will never be out of any game.

Totally right, Mr. Deberg_1990. If we can wear them down, we will win.

As I consider this possibility, it occurs to me that our run blocking sans Waters might be better than our pass blocking sans Waters. I say run a two tight end set and see if we can out-muscle them for a while. If we're successful, we'll have a great day and perhaps even get laid after the game.

Pass the Koolaid!!

FAX

Bald but Beautiful
11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
If I may weigh in on this topic, I think the Chiefs do have a better team overall than the Fins, but with Miami's always good D and solid running game and having Dante Culpepper on the bench signaling in plays makes them at least decent. Joey Harrington is no world beater, but if they get a lead on the Chiefs early, it could get rather tight. However, I think the Bears were due for a loss, and the Dolphins did not really win that game, the Bears lost it. Very similiar to the Steelers/Raiders game last week, when to turnover bug hits on the road or at home, generally you are in big trouble. I think the Chiefs will win, but it could be too close for comfort if they do not play their A game.

Halfcan
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM

I thought Black gave up a sack to Little??

htismaqe
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I thought Black gave up a sack to Little??

1 sack.

If we hold Taylor to 1 sack, that's hardly "eating Black alive".

Hootie
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Welbourn gave up both sacks last game...

htismaqe
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Welbourn gave up both sacks last game...

Regardless, my original point still stands.

We've faced Julian Peterson, Shawn Merriman, and Leonard Little in consecutive weeks with little to no effect.

Worrying about Jason Taylor running roughshod over our line seems a little overboard.

Easy 6
11-09-2006, 08:00 PM

We've faced Julian Peterson, Shawn Merriman, and Leonard Little in consecutive weeks with little to no effect.

Worrying about Jason Taylor running roughshod over our line seems a little overboard.

Solid point. I bitch my share about Black but when you just look at the overall performance of the O its working, Black included, now that he seems to have settled in & developed some chemistry with the line.

We have done a solid job on some top players, Solaris resume is not hype . He's had to mix n match all year and the O is kickin'. But i still somehow have it in my mind that this one will be tight. Hope i'm wrong.

Basileus777
11-09-2006, 08:13 PM

Little had 2 sacks when we passed the ball 15 times, and I'd hardly call Peterson's sack/fumble little to no effect. He was effective when Seattle blitzed him. Who gave up the sacks isn't all that important. Taylor might not have a big game, but its hardly unreasonable to think he is a cause for concern.

whoppy
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns