PDA

View Full Version : Huard Question

Donger
11-06-2006, 12:08 PM
What are the chances that Huard will end up being a starter for another team next year?

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Better than fair.

Donger
11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Better than fair.

Is he under contract with the Chiefs for next year?

InChiefsHeaven
Yup, unless Green calls it quits. Then I would hope we'd sign him for another year to finish training Brodie the Padwan...

boogblaster
Could be probably should be...but KC would be stupid to let him leave if they can afford him....

NewChief
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Getting a starting QB job is a weird deal. It really depends on who the various OCs, QB Coaches, and HCs are next year. Coaches tend to draw from a pool of specific players that they know when they're looking for QBs. Look at the way Trent's career went. Every time he went to a new team, he was basically following a specific coach who was familiar with him. Look at how Todd Collins went along with Saunders to Washington. Look at how Parcells brought in old QBs to Dallas with him.

So, my answer is that if there's a coach out there who is familiar with Damon and likes him, or if Terry Shea, for instance, goes somewhere else as an OC again, then there's a good chance. Otherwise, people will most likely stick with the familiar flavor of QB that they already know and like.

With QBs, it really is about who you know on a coaching staff and who knows you. I think this explains a lot of the reason that you see the Kurt Warners and Damon Huards come out of nowhere.

noa
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think this is likely, but the Redskins wouldn't be a bad fit. The question is whether they have faith in Jason Campbell to be the real deal or if they want a quick fix until they find their next QBOTF.

Eleazar
11-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Right now he looks like someone who could have been a starter this whole time, but who Dave Wandstedt never gave a chance, and who got stuck behind great QBs the rest of his career.

Phobia
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Getting a starting QB job is a weird deal. It really depends on who the various OCs, QB Coaches, and HCs are next year. Coaches tend to draw from a pool of specific players that they know when they're looking for QBs. Look at the way Trent's career went. Every time he went to a new team, he was basically following a specific coach who was familiar with him. Look at how Todd Collins went along with Saunders to Washington. Look at how Parcells brought in old QBs to Dallas with him.

So, my answer is that if there's a coach out there who is familiar with Damon and likes him, or if Terry Shea, for instance, goes somewhere else as an OC again, then there's a good chance. Otherwise, people will most likely stick with the familiar flavor of QB that they already know and like.

With QBs, it really is about who you know on a coaching staff and who knows you. I think this explains a lot of the reason that you see the Kurt Warners and Damon Huards come out of nowhere.

Stop reading this thread right here. NewChief said everything that needs to be said.

ChiefaRoo
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Attn Chiefs board. Damon Huard has played well but he is not good enough to be a starter. He's our Frank Reich. I doubt anyone is going to pay him starter money. If they did they'll be sorry. That is all.

Brock
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
He's at least going to be a very highly paid backup.

Sure-Oz
11-06-2006, 12:45 PM
He will make some green for sure...it is deserved after what he is done. I would hope that we re-sign him to a 2 year deal or something.

morphius
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
With him being a FA next year I would have to say that it is pretty likely he will end up somewhere else. There are a lot of coaches out there who would like a guy that doesn't make many mistakes and is efficient. You have to figure that some team will bring him in to compete.

JimNasium
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I hope to God that someone steps in and takes him out of our price range. The dude has done great in a very limited offense. I don't think he's a longterm solution and if we end up breaking the bank on him I think we will be sorry. Write it down Titus.

SDChief
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I would think even if he is offered a starting job for a crap team like the Browns, he would be tempted to stay here, because of: Green's age and possible concussion problems, knows the system, has weapons here that he knows, and a coach he knows and that knows him. But will Carl/Herm want to sign Huard or let him go and bring along Croyle. Herm might want Croyle in the second spot next year. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with cap, and how we fair this season. I guess it's better to have three options than one or none.

Wallcrawler
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Total Access ran a small bit on Huard about interest around the league, and there really wasnt any team that saw Huard as a starter for them next year. He's 34 years old, and basicly people recognize what he is doing in KC.

He's MANAGING the offense. He's not turning the ball over, Johnson is carrying the load, and Huard takes advantage of the opportunities when they come around.

I think we need look no further than the Pittsburgh game to see what happens when the Chiefs fall behind huge, and Huard is looked upon to win the game with his arm, without the threat of Larry Johnson.

7 points.

I like what Huard has done, he's played smart, and he's kept the Chiefs in the running in Green's absence. But lets be realistic here. Trent Green gives the Chiefs a more threatening offense. In situations against good defenses when the run isnt working, Green still has the ability to move the ball and keep the offense on the field.

Total Access suggests that Huard will remain a backup QB, but will definately receive an increase in pay after what he has shown this season.

PastorMikH
11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I think there is a decent chance that Huard will garner some attention by teams looking for a starter next year and its even possible that someone might pick him up as a starter for next season.

My question is, what are the chances that he can go to a new system, have a load dumped on him, and perform like he did here to keep his starting job?

Even in the same system, Green looked much better in StL as the backup that came in when KC knocked Warner out in '99 than he did here in '00 and '01. Huard is benifiting from a system that is in place. It will be different once he leaves here for someplace else.