PDA

View Full Version : K-State vs Iowa, in the Insight bowl?

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 08:10 AM
If the cards fall right, this may happen. Iowa has games vs Wisconsin and @Minnesota left, K-State has vs Texas and @KU left. If they both finish 6th in the Big XII/10, they'd meet in Tempe.

Eleazar
11-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Two letters.... P.U.! :p

ChiTown
11-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I spoke to a KSU official Saturday night who told me that the Insight Reps (who were in Boulder for the game) REALLY want to take KSU with their pick. Their stipulation: We've got finish 1-1. Not an easy task at all. UT is a for sure ass kicking, and the KU game will be an absolute dog fight, as KU will need that game to get bowl elligible (KU will get pounded in Columbia).

If we go 0-2, we're probably staring at the Texas Bowl - Ugh (That game is only televised on the NFL Channel).

jspchief
11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I'd like to post something about looking forward to kicking K-state's ass, but to be honest the Hawkeyes' ability to lose to bad teams has taken the wind from my sails.

ChiTown
11-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I'd like to post something about looking forward to kicking K-state's ass, but to be honest the Hawkeyes' ability to lose to bad teams has taken the wind from my sails.

I think the Insight Bowl would love a KSU-Iowa matchup. Both Teams will bring a chitpot full of fans.

jspchief
11-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I think the Insight Bowl would love a KSU-Iowa matchup. Both Teams will bring a chitpot full of fans.Yea, IA really brings the fans. The talk around here has been another trip to the Alamo Bowl. They love the Hawks fans, and Hawks fans love San Antonio.

I don't know what the loss to Northwestern does to those chances though. I expect us to win out, so maybe we're still in the running.

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I think that's a decent matchup for the Hawkeyes.

3 of their 4 losses are against teams that run alot of 5-WR offense.

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I spoke to a KSU official Saturday night who told me that the Insight Reps (who were in Boulder for the game) REALLY want to take KSU with their pick. Their stipulation: We've got finish 1-1. Not an easy task at all. UT is a for sure ass kicking, and the KU game will be an absolute dog fight, as KU will need that game to get bowl elligible (KU will get pounded in Columbia).

If we go 0-2, we're probably staring at the Texas Bowl - Ugh (That game is only televised on the NFL Channel).
I think if we finish 0-2, KU or OSU would get the Texas Bowl, we'd get the Independence bowl.

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Yea, IA really brings the fans. The talk around here has been another trip to the Alamo Bowl. They love the Hawks fans, and Hawks fans love San Antonio.

I don't know what the loss to Northwestern does to those chances though. I expect us to win out, so maybe we're still in the running.
Wisconsin is a tough task - but I think you could beat Minnesota.

jspchief
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Wisconsin is a tough task - but I think you could beat Minnesota.I think our D matches up better against Wisconsin, and I expect the team to come out madder than raped apes after the disgusting display they put on against Northwestern.

I don't think this team is as bad as some of these games would indicate. They just don't show up mentally for the lighter opponents.

Had we beaten Northwestern, I would have predicted a Wisconsin loss. But I think losing that game insures that the Hawkeyes will be at their best against the Badgers.

vailpass
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
What a sad year for the Hawks. We've been through many seasons with much worse records but none I can recall that started with the high expectations we had for Drew's senior year.

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I think that's a decent matchup for the Hawkeyes.

3 of their 4 losses are against teams that run alot of 5-WR offense.
We don't run any 5 wide sets.

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
We don't run any 5 wide sets.

Which is why I think it's a decent matchup in favor of Iowa.

It's also why I think the defense will play better against Wisconsin than they did against NW and Indiana.

They just don't have the personnel to matchup when other teams spread them out. And Norm Parker's defense relies alot on drop zone out of base formations, which good QB's can pick apart when you don't generate a pass rush.

Where the Iowa defense excels is when the opposing team tries to take the ball straight at them.

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Where the Iowa defense excels is when the opposing team tries to take the ball straight at them.
We don't do that, either. ;)

htismaqe
11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
We don't do that, either. ;)

Hehe. I think you know what I meant. They're a disciplined football team, they stay with their assignments. They don't get burned as much be misdirection and the option because of that, and because they play so much zone.

What kills them is creating space in their zone, which isn't hard to do when you bring 4 and 5-wides to the line all the time....

Saulbadguy
11-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Hehe. I think you know what I meant. They're a disciplined football team, they stay with their assignments. They don't get burned as much be misdirection and the option because of that, and because they play so much zone.

What kills them is creating space in their zone, which isn't hard to do when you bring 4 and 5-wides to the line all the time....
Well, we do that, but not with 5 wideouts. We run alot of 2 TE sets, when in passing downs, the TE are nearly ALWAYS receivers. It is a WCO that likes the zone, and utilizes the rollout/bootleg quite a bit.