PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Midseason Report...By the numbers.

TinyEvel
11-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Here's Gretz's midseason report. We've really improved on pass D, a little worse on run D, but that's 'cause everyone knew they could go air against us last year, so I think they're running on us more now. The numbers say we've improved by a margin, but we've really bounced up on overall D ranking (yds) and our O numbers are not as low (comparatively) as I thought they would be (thanks Damon, Gonzo, EK, Kris, and Bennet) He says our D has scored no points, but we've made a lot of points on strips, so that's kind of an asterisk stat, IMO.

One thing he only touches on at the end, which I think is one of the most important things this year vs. last, and not shown in the numbers, is the team's attitude. These guys are really getting tough (Pitt game notwithstanding) winning on the road, not letting comebacks beat them, playing calmly, and it really seems they're behind Herm. I think somewhere back after week #1, I posted that the team needs UNITY. And I think they've found it in this coach. Who else is feeling pretty good about the 2nd half?

GRETZ: Midseason Report - Progress?
Nov 08, 2006, 6:18:08 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

At the halfway point of this 2006 season, the Chiefs are 5-3 and winners of three in a row and five of the last six games. Optimism abounds around Arrowhead Stadium.

But just a year ago, the 2005 Chiefs under Dick Vermeil finished the first half of the season at 5-3. That team started the year 2-0, then lost two in a row, and going into the halfway point won three of four games.

So are the Chiefs any better a year later? A comparison of the numbers indicates that on defense they are improved, on offense they are about the same and special teams is a toss-up, with some improvement, but other areas where they are not as good.

DEFENSE
This year’s group is improved in every area but one: rushing defense. Last year at this time, the Chiefs defense against the run was ranked eighth in the league, allowing just 95 yards per game. They haven’t been that good this year, giving up an average of 113 yards per game. But where they’ve improved is against the pass, giving up 60 yards a game less than they did last year. That’s improved their ranking in the league by 19 positions, from No. 31 and next to last, to No. 12.

This year’s Chiefs are also allowing fewer points, have more takeaways and more sacks. What they haven’t done is contribute points, as the defense has not scored a TD.

OFFENSE
It should come as no surprise that the Chiefs offensive numbers are down this year compared to last season. But remarkably, they’ve actually scored one more touchdown on offense this year than last. But that’s the only improvement. Overall, the offensive production is off by 34 yards, the running game is down eight yards per game and the passing game is off by 26 yards.

Especially noticeable is the increase in giveaways this season. The ‘06 Chiefs have lost the ball on fumbles and interceptions 15 times in eight games, compared to just nine last season.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Results are mixed in the kicking game. Dustin Colquitt’s net punting average is nearly five yards better this year than last. Lawrence Tynes missed just two field goals in the first games last year; this year he’s already missed three.

The punt return average is up by three yards while the kick return is down. Punt coverage is off by a yard, but kick coverage is improved by nearly five yards.

If the Chiefs are better this year than last it comes from areas other than the numbers. This team has shown a remarkable resilience that doesn’t appear within the statistics. The ‘05 team played most of the first half of last season without Willie Roaf at left tackle, just as the Chiefs have. Last year’s team had Priest Holmes as the primary offensive weapon; that’s changed for this year’s team with Larry Johnson as the offensive engine.

The biggest difference is that last year’s team went to 5-3 with the team’s No. 1 quarterback, while this year’s club has pulled together the same record with the backup QB Damon Huard leading the way.

TinyEvel
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Here are the numbers:

boogblaster
11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
IF we can go 6-2 in the second half that should get us in the POs....

stumppy
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Throw out the friggen 45 points the Steelers got and then look at the ppg allowed.
I think that reflects the teams D ability more accurately.

siberian khatru
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
A LOT fewer penalties this year.

Fish
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
A LOT fewer penalties this year.

Yeah.... good to see them more focused and disciplined this year. I think it's made a difference...

siberian khatru
11-08-2006, 11:03 AM
We've played so many close games that I have to believe that the fewer penalties and those 4 extra sacks have made a big difference.

Halfcan
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
How long does every freakin report on the Chiefs have to include:

Willie Roaf retired
PH is out
Trent is hurt
T Rich moved on

The season is half over and still they talk about Roaf-get over it already.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Herm has done a great job with the penalties.

Crashride
11-08-2006, 03:24 PM
LOL at everyone including myself freaking out when roaf left, who would have thought we would have the same record as we did last year at this time. Credit to herm for playing the right players/giving rookies a shot