PDA

View Full Version : Don't be fooled by these Chiefs

Hammock Parties
11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=589272

You might be impressed by the Chiefs’ 31-17 win over the St. Louis Rams last weekend. I’ll admit, the Chiefs showed me something, too. Heck, I picked them to lose, 34-31.

So yes, it was an impressive win. But don’t for one minute think the Chiefs are a different team than the one Dick Vermeil trotted out last year.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Uh, so? That means Herm is doing a better job with them then, right?

ARROW2
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
It is not impossible to win back to back road games....that is BS. Didn't Pitt even do it in the playoffs last year?

CupidStunt
11-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Without linking to what's probably a crock full of sh*t, why the hell are the Chiefs no different to last year?

StcChief
11-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Being in STL at 'Arrowhead East' last Sunday is barely classified as a Road game with 30-35% Chief Fans.

and 10K I don't care about football Ram fans.

In the words of a Rams season ticket holder....
"Our fans are pathetic"

hypersensitiveZO6
11-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Clayton Wendler will be proved wrong. :D

Herm gets his team ready.

DaFace
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
It is not impossible to win back to back road games....that is BS. Didn't Pitt even do it in the playoffs last year?

The article stated that it was "ALMOST impossible." That's probably exaggeration still, but it's no secret that winning back-to-back road games is a daunting task in the NFL.

milkman
11-11-2006, 10:27 AM
The article stated that it was "ALMOST impossible." That's probably exaggeration still, but it's no secret that winning back-to-back road games is a daunting task in the NFL.

True, but Hermie seems to bring a different mentality.

JMO, but under Dick, schedules seemed like obstacles for this team.
Under Hermie, they are just challenges to be met.

stevieray
11-11-2006, 10:29 AM

Exactly..defense and road record have been at the top of his list.

Thank goodness.

Easy 6
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Very, very true. I never was on the bash DV wagon, i appreciated several aspects of his style, but at the same time he always did take a wheedling tone about the schedule and prolly did give the team the wrong mindset.

kcxiv
11-11-2006, 10:49 AM
yep, its like he expected to lose road games, like he just said, we may lose just go run and gun, see what happens. Herm is like like you can win be ready playhard.

L.A. Chieffan
11-11-2006, 10:54 AM
wth, this guy goes around bashing the Chiefs 'Mr. GoChiefs' himself? Ok, we all get that it is hard to win two games in a row on the road. BFD! Why write an entire article about it?

Bob Dole
11-11-2006, 11:20 AM
The Chiefs can’t afford to take these Dolphins lightly...

Followed by:

Throw in a couple of bye weeks against the hapless Oakland Raiders...

It just doesn't quite sit right.

Otter
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
The Chiefs have somthing to prove until they are percieved any other way outside of the fan base here on the planet and the other non-planet homers lurking around.

It's been a long time since they've done somthing worth talking about in the world of reaching for a championship. And yes, at the end of the year, that's what it comes down to.

I don't like it either but it's a reality. I hope they taste blood off that reality and kick ass but until then, well, we all know the numbers.

Just one playoff win, that's all I ask at this point.

KChiefs1
11-11-2006, 11:42 AM
The Chiefs always have 1-2 games a year that they choke on...this game & the Cleveland game scare the holy hell outta me.

KChiefs1
11-11-2006, 11:44 AM

Exactly the reason I have hope for tomorrow's game. Under DV I would have already written tomorrow's game off as a loss.

stevieray
11-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Exactly the reason I have hope for tomorrow's game. Under DV I would have already written tomorrow's game off as a loss.

DV won in Miami. Let's hope Herm can too.

CupidStunt
11-11-2006, 11:55 AM
The Chiefs always have 1-2 games a year that they choke on...this game & the Cleveland game scare the holy hell outta me.

In the Vermeil era, anyway.

I'm going to give our new staff the benefit of the doubt until I see the Chiefs lay an egg against a horrible team. (Note: the Pittsburgh game is different. They were fired up and played mistake-free ball [which is the only reason they are losing now].)

Losing to Cleveland or Oakland would certainly classify as a choke.

kcxiv
11-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Followed by:

It just doesn't quite sit right.
becuase its not right. Raiders always play the Chiefs hard, and the CHiefs always play the Raiders hard. That honestly was a stupid thing to say.

DJJasonp
11-11-2006, 12:13 PM
This is an important game that will show us the focus of this chiefs squad....the writer is right in that tomorrow's game is the type that DV teams would "lose focus" on and stumble and lose the game.

If we win tomorrow, I'm going to feel a lot more confident about our playoff chances and the recent talk about being a contender.

Still, I wish people would stop saying the Oakland games are going to be "bye weeks".....either way, if we win tomorrow, you gotta like the fact that we only have 3 road games left (with really only one tough one - at San Diego...which looks like it may change to Sunday night game)

JohnnyV13
11-11-2006, 12:14 PM
The point of the article is the Chiefs haven't really shown they are much different than last year's team. He is saying that if they win in Miami, they will have shown him something, because they will have pulled off two straight november road wins and missed the "trap" game against a deceptively tough opponent.

kcxiv
11-11-2006, 12:15 PM
This is an important game that will show us the focus of this chiefs squad....the writer is right in that tomorrow's game is the type that DV teams would "lose focus" on and stumble and lose the game.

Yet, last year, against this same team, it didnt happen.

boogblaster
11-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Chiefs will win at Miami..hard as it is to win btbrg..just hope they don't get swollen for the next two.....

morphius
11-11-2006, 12:16 PM
While this isn't exactly the same team, a team missing the playoff's by a tie breaker isn't the worst thing you can be...

milkman
11-11-2006, 12:19 PM
The point of the article is the Chiefs haven't really shown they are much different than last year's team. He is saying that if they win in Miami, they will have shown him something, because they will have pulled off two straight november road wins and missed the "trap" game against a deceptively tough opponent.

That may well be.

However, that point is lost before he even attempts to make it because of the article's title.

Eleazar
11-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Noooo difference at all between this team and last year's team :rolleyes:

More genious

milkman
11-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Yet, last year, against this same team, it didnt happen.

I actually think that unexpected change in schedule, resulting in a short week, actually helped the Chiefs retain their focus.

Calcountry
11-11-2006, 12:26 PM
The article stated that it was "ALMOST impossible." That's probably exaggeration still, but it's no secret that winning back-to-back road games is a daunting task in the NFL.Except for the fact that Miami really sucks and they will be suffering a let down after beating the unbeatable all powerfull, all invincible, They are who we thought they were Bears.

Hog Rider
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
If we win it will be, "Well it was just Miami"

If we lose (loose) it will be, "see I told ya so!"

It aint gonna change, so who gives a FF?

Just win Baby!

hypersensitiveZO6
11-11-2006, 12:33 PM
We're not the faiders.

thepascalblaze
11-11-2006, 12:34 PM
... and if we win another writer will say it proves nothing 'cause it was just the hapless 'Phins who already played their SB against Chitown... Every game is wnnable, every game is losable. A lot of it is state of mind and Herm has cultivated a winning state of mind through extreme adversity. And let's not forget, football wisdom says a running game and strong D win on the road... and championships. Nothing is easy in the NFL. Just ask the Bears. We have to go play this game, and there is a reason the Chiefs play the game, according to Herm...

Rausch
11-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Why would adding Ty Law, Hali, and LJ starting all year change a team?

This team may not end up being any better than last year's but it couldn't be any more different...

Calcountry
11-11-2006, 01:01 PM
... and if we win another writer will say it proves nothing 'cause it was just the hapless 'Phins who already played their SB against Chitown... Every game is wnnable, every game is losable. A lot of it is state of mind and Herm has cultivated a winning state of mind through extreme adversity. And let's not forget, football wisdom says a running game and strong D win on the road... and championships. Nothing is easy in the NFL. Just ask the Bears. We have to go play this game, and there is a reason the Chiefs play the game, according to Herm...Look at the Bears and lay aside their record. Look at thier division, look at how they win games.

It would really help their cause, if they had just a modicum of offense. You cannot rely on the Defense to score 3 touchdowns for you every stinking game like they did agaisnt the Cardinals, well, maybe they thought they could agaisnt Miami.

Carolina punked them at thier home last year in the playoffs. D only gets you so far, of the two, better to have a D than an O, but you have to score at least a field goal, usually, to win football games.

Bottom line is, I kind of think the Bears are frauds.

We will see.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Look at the Bears and lay aside their record. Look at thier division, look at how they win games.

It would really help their cause, if they had just a modicum of offense. You cannot rely on the Defense to score 3 touchdowns for you every stinking game like they did agaisnt the Cardinals, well, maybe they thought they could agaisnt Miami.

Carolina punked them at thier home last year in the playoffs. D only gets you so far, of the two, better to have a D than an O, but you have to score at least a field goal, usually, to win football games.

Bottom line is, I kind of think the Bears are frauds.

We will see.

No they are not. They just live and die by the play of Grossman. When he is on his game like he was earlier in the season, they are damn near unbeatable.

When he doesnt play well, like at Arizonia and last week, then its game over.....

But people have to remember, hes basically a rookie still. I think hes only started like 15 games in 4 seasons.

Dude reminds me alot of a young Brett Favre circa 1993-1994

TRR
11-11-2006, 01:34 PM
No they are not. They just live and die by the play of Grossman. When he is on his game like he was earlier in the season, they are damn near unbeatable.

When he doesnt play well, like at Arizonia and last week, then its game over.....

But people have to remember, hes basically a rookie still. I think hes only started like 15 games in 4 seasons.

Dude reminds me alot of a young Brett Favre circa 1993-1994

Favre and Grossman should never be mentioned together in the same sentence. The Bears are a good defensive team with the WEAKEST schedule in the NFL. They will be exposed the next 3 weeks when they finally have a couple of decent road tests....

Bob Dole
11-11-2006, 01:36 PM

His Mini Ditka had a previous commitment at a restaurant grand opening last week and was unable to attend the game.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
The Bears are probably one of the most overrated teams I can remember. They aren't going to the Super Bowl, and will probably go this year without a playoff win...again.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I love how its ok for all you guys to bag on other teams and say how overrated they are, but the second some TV personality says the same thing about the Chiefs, you guys say hes full of crap.

LOL

redngold85
11-11-2006, 05:33 PM
If we win it will be, "Well it was just Miami"

If we lose (loose) it will be, "see I told ya so!"

It aint gonna change, so who gives a FF?

Just win Baby!

that's a good point...a shame...but a very good point

if the Chiefs beat the Dolphins, they'll be 6-3, but all the "experts" won't give it a second thought because it was the Dolphins...it won't matter that it was a second win of a two-game roadtrip...but if the Chiefs choke, that's what all the talk is going to be about...how they had an emotional let down after a streak of wins and how everyone saw it coming...and more emphasis will be put on the "it's near impossible to win back-to-back road games" bs.....

Smed1065
11-11-2006, 05:47 PM
While this isn't exactly the same team, a team missing the playoff's by a tie breaker isn't the worst thing you can be...

But is better than the last 30 years? I bet we agree.

HMc
11-11-2006, 06:08 PM
the probability of winning back to back road games soars after you've won the first one.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2006, 06:09 PM
the probability of winning back to back road games soars after you've won the first one.

I did an extensive study on this. There is a less than 1 percent chance of winning back-to-back road games if you lose the first one. Shocking, I know.

DaFace
11-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I did an extensive study on this. There is a less than 1 percent chance of winning back-to-back road games if you lose the first one. Shocking, I know.

I was wondering about the actual stats behind the whole "back to back road games" deal. Were you able to find any stats about it, or did you have to compile them yourself?

Hammock Parties
11-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I was wondering about the actual stats behind the whole "back to back road games" deal. Were you able to find any stats about it, or did you have to compile them yourself?

Neither. I know it's true, though. Just a glance at the Chiefs since 1990 and it looks like they've only done it five or six times.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-11-2006, 06:49 PM
that's a good point...a shame...but a very good point

if the Chiefs beat the Dolphins, they'll be 6-3, but all the "experts" won't give it a second thought because it was the Dolphins...it won't matter that it was a second win of a two-game roadtrip...but if the Chiefs choke, that's what all the talk is going to be about...how they had an emotional let down after a streak of wins and how everyone saw it coming...and more emphasis will be put on the "it's near impossible to win back-to-back road games" bs.....

Yeah, and that'll just be the whining here.

:cuss:

thepascalblaze
11-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey folks, I been gone all day. redngold85, I seem to be on the same page as you, I was not as clear or specific apparently, which is nothing new according to my wife, who doesn't even know you, I assume.

The Bears are not frauds, as much as they are incomplete, however. I did not mean to suggest that a team can win on the road (or championships) with a strong D and a running game, minus the rest of the O. See the Bears last year with that rookie QB.

I really was invoking an old football addage concerning the importance of running and good D. We have a servicable D and a real running game that is straight ahead ( it is that old 'running downhill' DV used to pontificate wishfully about in TC and the beginning of all 5 seasons, even though he ran an O with a "patient" runner who made a career on half or fake sweeps and pulling O-linemen, which required a decent passing game to set it up) and can set up passing and revert to the Saunders inverse more and more as Solari becomes more comfortable with the O. This includes Tony G either way. I am getting the feeling Herm has brought the attitude back to KC that Gun was supposed to, upon his return. Herm was smart to keep Gun and not shake things up too much on D by installing an entire new system, while stoking the fire in these guys' hearts.

What I am seeing is an evolving team, for the better, that I cannot remember in recent times in KC. Ask Pats fans what they felt after starting slow, losing Bledsoe and taking it it all home a few years back... ask what they felt like after game 8.

I think it may be similar to how I feel.

I bleed red and gold, and have always managed to find hope, whether the artificially inflated kind at mid way when we were one of those 1 and done teams, or our it was one of those years when our mathematical possibilities were slim and dwindling. I pull, hope, wish, swear, laugh, cry,.. until the end.

I must say, I like this ride. I'm not saying we are definitively headed for the SB win. I have believed that, wrongly, more than once. I am saying this feels different and good. We want to peak in Feb. We have been getting better as most favorites have been getting worse. We have a team that is increasing its performance in all phases af the game, though I want some more spectacular play from Special Teams (and , though it could go without saying, I'll say it, we can imrove in every phase if the game).

If we go into Thanksgiving 7-3, even then, some of the press will be on the bandwagon. When we come out 8-3, we will become nationally considered dark horse favorites with talking heads that previously seemed anti-Chief picking us, a' la Collingsworth and Randi (is it even Randi?) whats-his-name, that old Guard or tackle from the Giants that calls games on CBS. Hell, even Shannan Shart will have to give us a nod, or tip of the hat...

... It is this time frame that will test Herm. He may be using an underdog/expectation psychology up 'til now, and that may have diminishing effectiveness when we have two good healthy QB's and a press buzz. It will be his test and he has been close enough to see it with the Jets...

I can find reason to hope for world peace, but I can explain my hopefull feelings about the Chiefs this year.

Oh yeah, Randy Cross,.. F^@kface.

Halfcan
11-11-2006, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=tpascalb] nothing new according to my wife, who doesn't even know you, I assume.

You Assume? Paging Red Rum.

thepascalblaze
11-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Assyoumee, eye no...

'twas bait for response...

'tis nice to know someone read the beginning of my post.

't'is full of more bait throughout...

I didn't mean to test attention spans this late in the eve'.

Maybe some of those planateers who read all, or at least most, of a thread before posting will read it, not that I am one of those,.. not that I'm not.

I know I read proportionally less of long posts than short. I didn't, however, realize how long my post read until I posted it.

Simply Red
11-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Milkman said exactly what I'd have said.

milkman
11-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Milkman said exactly what I'd have said.

I gotta stop that.

thepascalblaze
11-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I think I agreed, no? Minus the specificities of DV's shortcomings, which I try to avoid (though be it unsuccessfully) because we now have access to hindsight. Not to say an argumentitive disagreement was hatched, I'm just letting my personal defensive insecurities communicate here on this surface. I spent some time on my long post and ASSyouME everyone who posts after is attacking it. I don't know if that comes from too much time on the Planet, or too much time in philosophy class...

I do know this... I totally over use the 'elipses' (i.e."...").

milkman
11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I think I agreed, no? Minus the specificities of DV's shortcomings, which I try to avoid (though be it unsuccessfully) because we now have access to hindsight. Not to say an argumentitive disagreement was hatched, I'm just letting my personal defensive insecurities communicate here on this surface. I spent some time on my long post and ASSyouME everyone who posts after is attacking it. I don't know if that comes from too much time on the Planet, or too much time in philosophy class...

I do know this... I totally over use the 'elipses' (i.e."...").

Have another drink.

thepascalblaze
11-12-2006, 12:22 AM
I did already, what now?

thepascalblaze
11-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Yes, your right, I feel much more secure.

Hammock Parties
11-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I think I was fooled by these Chiefs. Was anyone else fooled?

Otter
11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I think I was fooled by these Chiefs. Was anyone else fooled?

Me too. I'm going to be absolutlely shocked if they miss the playoffs or lose in the first round. Shocked I say.