PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Tribune:Brooks says he's ready to return

Nzoner
11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Aaron Brooks declared himself "available" for Week 11 and expects Oakland's staff to make a QB switch official before the weekend.
According to an Associated Press report, Brooks is expected to start in Week 11, but coach Art Shell hasn't yet gone public with the change.
Source: Oakland Tribune

From the FWIW depeartment (http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_4655292)

Brooks says he's ready to return
By Steve Corkran, MEDIANEWS STAFF
Article Last Updated:11/14/2006 02:37:48 AM PST

ALAMEDA — Regular quarterback Aaron Brooks on Monday declared himself "available" for a return to the starting lineup Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

He has been sidelined for eight weeks and missed seven games because of the pectoral strain he sustained against the Baltimore Ravens on Sept.17. Andrew Walter has started all seven games in Brooks' absence.

"I expect coach (Art Shell) to make the right decision," Brooks said Monday. "I've informed him where I'm at. It will probably be until the middle of the week until they make that decision."

Shell said after Sunday's loss to the Denver Broncos that he was going to consider making some changes. The first came with the announcement that Randal Williams has replaced Courtney Anderson as the starting tight end.

Shell said he isn't quite ready to anoint Brooks the starter for the Chiefs game. Seeing Brooks throw passes since his return to practice Nov.1 has convinced Shell that Brooks is close.

"I'm going to take a hard look at it and see where we are with him," Shell said. "He's been throwing the last couple of weeks. Last week, he threw the ball a whole lot better."

Walter has completed fewer than half his pass attempts and had three times as many passes intercepted as he has had go for touchdowns. He also has been sacked 40 times.

Shell said Walter's criticism Sunday of offensive coordinator Tom Walsh's system and play-calling won't enter into his decision whether to start Brooks or Walter.

"Words don't sway me as far as that goes," Shell said. "It's what you do on the field and how we feel the team is going to respond to you as a player."

Brooks steered clear of taking sides on the Walter-Walsh issue. He said the bigger issue is making more plays and finding ways to win games. To that end, he said, the Raiders are better off with him at quarterback than Walter.

"We have a greater chance (to win)," Brooks said. "I possess some skills that, with my experience, gives us a greater chance."

Walter was not available for interviews Monday. He has said in the past that he is comfortable with whatever decision Shell makes, as long as it helps the Raiders win.

WALTER TAKEN TO TASK: Walter drew Shell's ire for criticizing Walsh.

"For him to come out and say those things, they're totally off-base as far as I'm concerned," Shell said.

Walter said part of Oakland's struggles on offense is attributable to plays that require him to wait too long for receivers to run their routes.

Nonsense, Shell said.

"For whatever reason, five-step drop has now become a deep drop," Shell said. "I looked at the Denver Broncos (Sunday). They might have thrown two three-step drops. They threw seven-step drops. ... But to throw things out there like that, that's not taking accountability for what you're doing."

Shell also said he, Walsh and the other coaches are receptive to input from the players. Walter said Sunday that his suggestions to Walsh are met with "some acceptance, some rejection."

"We, as a staff, try to do things to put our quarterbacks in the best position to succeed," Shell said. "And they have just as much input as any group that I've been around. To say that we don't have certain things in and we do things to adjust to their needs, then that's a little disappointing."

UPON FURTHER REVIEW: Shell also wasn't pleased with the penalty called on Chris Carr that negated a fumble recovery by the Raiders at the Broncos' 20-yard line late in the third quarter. The Broncos scored the game-deciding touchdown after the Raiders were penalized and forced to punt again as a result of the penalty.

"I saw it, and I felt we got screwed," Shell said. "I felt we got a bad call."

Shell said he called the league office and lodged a complaint about that call, as well as one in the fourth quarter on a play in which cornerback Fabian Washington appeared to have intercepted a Jake Plummer pass before stepping out of bounds.

The Raiders challenged the ruling on the Washington play. It was upheld after the officials reviewed the play. That cost the Raiders their final timeout and possession.

EXTRA POINTS: Shell declared left guard Barry Sims (abdomen) and special teams player Isaiah Ekejiuba (foot) as out for the Chiefs game. Left offensive tackle Robert Gallery (groin) and center Jake Grove (elbow) are questionable. ... Gallery and Sims didn't play against the Broncos. Grove bounced in and out of the game, with Adam Treu finishing the game. Grove and reserve middle linebacker Robert Thomas (Achilles' tendon) underwent MRI exams Monday. The results won't be revealed until Wednesday.