PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV DVRs SUCK!!!!!!!!!

headsnap
11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Piece of CRAP!!!!

I'm going upstairs to watch my TiVo...

that is all!!!!

Phobia
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah - we've not been happy with ours - at all.

headsnap
11-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah - we've not been happy with ours - at all.
I've been listening to mrs. headsnap bitch out tech support for the last hour... :shake:

she is much better at than I am...

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I thought about getting one so what is the reason you guys hate them?

SLAG
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
ok so mark DirecTV off my list?

ChiefFan31
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
You guys having problems with the new generation of D* DVR's?

I really enjoyed my old Tivo. Its too bad they broke away from them.

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
The tech boards I go to all agree. I think they hurried it along while Dishnotwok copied Tivo. They are in a giant lawsuit and Rupert isn't. I don't know which is worse.

Bootlegged
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Agreed and Directv tech/cust support is a step above offshore telemarketers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm gonna probably start scraping pennies together so that I can build my own HD Tuner/Media Center. The Tivo Series 3's look badass, but they won't work with Sat.

headsnap
11-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I thought about getting one so what is the reason you guys hate them?
The R15 model is buggy, it should have never been released.

Fast forward and rewind are unpredictable...

GUI is counter intuitive...

Search function is unpredictable/unreliable...

It doesn't always shows on the 'to do' list...

but the big kicker is that the thing just doesn't work...
If you have over half the hard drive full with programs, the DVR will stop recording your shows. You will no longer be able to rewind live TV. Pretty much the hard drive just stop functioning. The only fix is to wipe our everything you have saved on the drive and start over. AFTER THREE TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH, THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

a clock that works just two hours a day isn't a clock that works...

KC Jones
The tech boards I go to all agree. I think they hurried it along while Dishnotwok copied Tivo. They are in a giant lawsuit and Rupert isn't. I don't know which is worse.

Save the FUD - Dish's DVRs work great and the lawsuit is not going to stop them from working.

DaneMcCloud
I've had three of the new HD DVR's for the past 2 months and haven't experienced any problems. I had issues with the old HD Tivo boxes and had a couple of those replaced. Go figure.

Donger
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I love my Dish 625 PVR. It's fantastic, besides a few insignificant bugs.

dirk digler
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM

If you have over half the hard drive full with programs, the DVR will stop recording your shows. You will no longer be able to rewind live TV. Pretty much the hard drive just stop functioning. The only fix is to wipe our everything you have saved on the drive and start over. AFTER THREE TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH, THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Thanks and it looks like I won't be spending money on any DTV DVR's. Does Tivo work with DTV?

headsnap
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Agreed and Directv tech/cust support is a step above offshore telemarketers.
when you dial their # and get the computer prompt asking your needs, just say "DVR SUCKS!" and the computer will transfer you to tech support. :LOL:

headsnap
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks and it looks like I won't be spending money on any DTV DVR's. Does Tivo work with DTV?
Our 1st generation TiVo upstairs works great with DTV. I need to put a new hard drive in it tho...

Phobia
11-15-2006, 09:18 PM

Or something like that....

Simplex3
11-15-2006, 09:25 PM
We have an HD DVR from Everest for $15/mo that is fan-damn-tastic. Never had a single hiccup and even my mom can use it (and she can't even use the one-touch computer backup system I bought her. Seriously, you push one button and it does the rest. She can't use it. I s**t you not.).

mikey23545
11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I have a Hughes from Direct TV that has never given me a moment's trouble...

'Tis a poor craftsman who blames his tools....

headsnap
11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I have a Hughes from Direct TV that has never given me a moment's trouble...

'Tis a poor craftsman who blames his tools....
the TiVo ROCKED!!!

the DTV R15 is a product that should have never made it past beta testing.

Phobia
11-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I have the new HR20 - the supposedly upgraded HD DVR and it's horrible. It's absolute garbage. I'd like to have them take it back and give me my money but I can't get them on the phone.

morphius
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I have the new HR20 - the supposedly upgraded HD DVR and it's horrible. It's absolute garbage. I'd like to have them take it back and give me my money but I can't get them on the phone.
Wow. Seemed like just a month ago you were pretty damn happy.

dtebbe
11-15-2006, 09:50 PM

The solution is to just get a DirecTv Tivo DVR. They are still available, and they are damn awesome... I have 4 of them, including the HD one (with the new software) and they all work fine.

DT

headsnap
11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
The solution is to just get a DirecTv Tivo DVR. They are still available, and they are damn awesome... I have 4 of them, including the HD one (with the new software) and they all work fine.

DT
either ebay it or buy it new here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

Mojo Rising
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
6 months ago we added a Directv DVR (already had a Directv Tivo receiver) because of a free offer from BB. The user interface was awful. I returned it and ordered a refurbished Tivo DVR for $15. This is when they were clearing their inventory. It has a small glitch but is much better than the Directv receiver. It is also nice to have the same remote (works on both boxes in case you mis place one) and functionality so you can surf without looking.

My brother had a Tivo Directv Hdef model and just added the new Directv hdtv model. He hated the new one so much he put it on his second tv. The tivo model was slow but they just did a software upgrade through the system and it solved the problem.

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Or something like that....
A clock that is broken and not repairable is right twice per day. That is better than a clock that loses 1 second per day because it is never right. However, you could go with Hootie who is always right.

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM

One thread I saw was titled "Not ready for Primetime".

Phobia
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow. Seemed like just a month ago you were pretty damn happy.

It seemed pretty cool the day I got it. Since then it's been nothing but bugs.

morphius
11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
It seemed pretty cool the day I got it. Since then it's been nothing but bugs.
Makes sense.

Pity.

Nzoner
11-15-2006, 10:32 PM

Great,I just got on the waiting list for two of these tonight @ $299 each.

Skip Towne
11-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Great,I just got on the waiting list for two of these tonight @ $299 each.
Call 866 678 9471. They answer immediately. Y ou get an American too.

Nzoner
11-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Call 866 678 9471. They answer immediately. Y ou get an American too.

and this number is for what?

Donger
11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
and this number is for what?

You get the good American firmware, not that crappy Japanese stuff.

ModSocks
11-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Cox cable DVR sucks to IMO. I had Tivo when i was with direct and it was awsome compared to this crap.

Ultra Peanut
11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes. Yes, they do.

<3 DirecTiVo <3

melbar
11-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Thank you! We had Tivo and loved it ...then lightning struck.Literally. The DVR they replaced it with sucks so badly. Misses programs. Hard to program. Hard to navigate.

Al Bundy
11-16-2006, 08:57 AM
My R15 hasn't given me any trouble since August when I got it.

kepp
11-16-2006, 09:31 AM
So what's the deal with DirecTV and TiVo? Are they replacing the TiVo boxes? I have a TiVo box and love it. Will they continue to support (or allow you to use) TiVo boxes?

Sully
11-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I have TiVo.
I also have Comcast cable.
Comcast won't allow the TiVo boxes to hook directly to their cable boxes, so I have to use the two infrared things in front of the sensor to change channels... which is nice, sinc3e it lands on the correct channel a stunning 75-80% of the time.
I love sitting down to watch an episode of my favorite show and finding that my TiVo recorded the shopping channel for an hour.

morphius
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I have TiVo.
I also have Comcast cable.
Comcast won't allow the TiVo boxes to hook directly to their cable boxes, so I have to use the two infrared things in front of the sensor to change channels... which is nice, sinc3e it lands on the correct channel a stunning 75-80% of the time.
I love sitting down to watch an episode of my favorite show and finding that my TiVo recorded the shopping channel for an hour.
The next gen of Tivo's will come with cable card technology, so no need for the box at all as the Tivo will basically be the box. I believe it is even supposed to have 2 slots so that it can record one while you watch another.

Frosty
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I returned it and ordered a refurbished Tivo DVR for $15. This is when they were clearing their inventory.

I got into that deal, too, and got a 70 hour R10. I am hoping that it holds out long enough for DirecTV to get the bugs worked out on their HD DVR. I haven't had any problems with it. It's just with a refurb, you never know. Good deal for $15.

chiefsfan1963
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I didn't like my tivo dvr and they replaced it with their own hd dvr I think it was the hr20. I got it for free. Anyway they switched my dish so now I get all my local channels in hd. pretty cool. i'm not sure why people like tivo better, I didn't think it's user interface was very good. Ultimate TV user interface was the best IMO, but unfortunately Microsoft discontinued it b/c TIVO beat them to the market.

HemiEd
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Very interesting thread, sounds like it may have saved me some headaches.

I would like to ask a question from those of you that have the experience. I have been planning on updating my Direct TV HD receiver from the $600 unit Best Buy sold me a year ago. It is a Hughes with no DVR. I want a DVR or Tivo I can use with it.
Is the HR10- 250 what I should get?

Thanks for starting the thread and any help. I had no idea DTV was having these problems, I have been putting them off on getting their unit.

Frazod
11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
My first DTV HD DVR crapped out on me and had to be replaced. The second one has (so far) given me no trouble (knock on wood).

Phobia
11-16-2006, 12:12 PM

I would like to ask a question from those of you that have the experience. I have been planning on updating my Direct TV HD receiver from the $600 unit Best Buy sold me a year ago. It is a Hughes with no DVR. I want a DVR or Tivo I can use with it.

Thanks for starting the thread and any help. I had no idea DTV was having these problems, I have been putting them off on getting their unit.

The HR-10 is complete garbage. The HR-20 is their most recent model and is merely partial garbage. You'll need an upgraded dish to use this unit and it's not a product I could recommend. The unit freezes frequently and some of the shows are corrupted - meaning when you press play to watch your favorite show the DVR locks up and you have to physically unplug it to get it to reboot and function again. The show itself is done - no hope for being able to ever watch it.

The menus are confusing and the fast forward feature is incredibly lacking.

I intend to return mine to DirectTV even though it's my only real HD DVR option at this point - unless I want to go with Dish, which I don't.

HemiEd
11-16-2006, 12:21 PM
The HR-10 is complete garbage. The HR-20 is their most recent model and is merely partial garbage. You'll need an upgraded dish to use this unit and it's not a product I could recommend. The unit freezes frequently and some of the shows are corrupted - meaning when you press play to watch your favorite show the DVR locks up and you have to physically unplug it to get it to reboot and function again. The show itself is done - no hope for being able to ever watch it.

I intend to return mine to DirectTV even though it's my only real HD DVR option at this point - unless I want to go with Dish, which I don't.

Thanks Phil, so basically," set tight" until they get their stuff figured out? Like you, I do not want the Dish Network.
Sounds like I may have gotten lucky by procrastenating once.

Joe Seahawk
11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

I have had the HR10-250 since April and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it.. FWIW.

Phobia
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow - our installer(s) recommended against the HR10 - said they wouldn't have one in their own house. So we waited for the HR20.

I wouldn't take an HR20 if they were giving them away, which they obviously aren't.

dtebbe
11-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Yes, the HR10-250 is the HD DirecTivo. With the latest software upgrade mine is just tits. I'm a firm believer in burning an image of the drive when it is virgin (using one of the free utilities on the web). Most failures on Tivos are bad hard drive or corrupt file related, and if you have that virgin image you can always start from scratch again with a new drive. This is a big plus, now that direcTv has decided to start leasing equipment. There are people who's owned HR10-250's are failing, and Directv is having people send them in and replacing the with leased units. It's just nice to be able to take care of something like this yourself. Once you have it for about 2 weeks, it will become your single favorite piece of electronics ever.

DT

Bob Dole
11-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I got into that deal, too, and got a 70 hour R10. I am hoping that it holds out long enough for DirecTV to get the bugs worked out on their HD DVR. I haven't had any problems with it. It's just with a refurb, you never know. Good deal for $15.

One of Bob Dole's friends got the lesser refurb unit (as did Bob Dole). It died last week and DTV replaced it with a brand new model for free.

Bob Dole's original 40 hour model is still running fine after 4 years...

Phobia
11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them, they're sending a new HR20. That was relatively painless. Hopefully it will solve my problems.

picasso
11-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Mine is just fine and I like it much better than the Tivo I have upstairs. Tivo is slow (even with the upgrade), the buttons on the remote are frickin stupid, and the screen layout has to many levels to go to to do a simple setup function.
The new HDDVR I truely have enjoyed. Not to say I haven't had a screen glich when it's changing from 480 to 1080 channels. I have, but it works much better than the Tivo IMO.

Frosty
11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
One of Bob Dole's friends got the lesser refurb unit (as did Bob Dole). It died last week and DTV replaced it with a brand new model for free.

Bob Dole's original 40 hour model is still running fine after 4 years...

I still have my original TiVo, too, and would consider just putting a larger drive in it (it was 30 hours) if the refurb unit dies.

Phobia
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
My replacement still hasn't arrived. 3 frick'n weeks. What the?

Buck
12-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a Cox Cable HD DVR and I love it, If you guys have Cox Cable in your area I recommend getting one.

Skip Towne
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Your order is probably buried somewhere. Here is the Customer retention number. They can do more than CSRs to keep you from quitting. 800 824 9081.

Mr. Laz
12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
skip told them what a bastige you are .... he's been using your replacement DVR for the last 2 weeks.

:p

Skip Towne
12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
skip told them what a bastige you are .... he's been using your replacement DVR for the last 2 weeks.

:p
'cept the junky POS doesn't work.

Eleazar
12-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a tivo and time warner and I have to use the two sensor deals to change the channel. Aside from it looking kind of clunky it works great. I've never had it not record the right program or anything. Since I barely watch TV it works for me.

Manila-Chief
12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I got one DVR free and purchased another for our bedroom. Love them!!!!

I did have to call and get them to replace the one in here right after we got it. Naturally, each time I called they wanted me to reset it ... reformat the hard drive, etc ... I finally convinced the tech people that it was the hard drive. They sent one out quickly.

Manila-Chief
12-06-2006, 11:02 PM
'cept the junky POS doesn't work.

Skip ... DTV, Dish 1 Up Network, and/or Buccaneer Communications all came through in the end and refunded me all of the money it took to replace my security system.... after the installer (fat Robert) destroyed it by splicing the wiring into a telephone line. I expected $50 bucks but they paid all of the claim I submitted.

Now, I can fully recommend people get Direct TV. Yes, we had a couple of problems but they went out of their way to correct the problems.

DTV is great ... and if anyone is interested they have a special now where you can lock in a cheaper rate for the next year.... IIRC it is $86.plus for all 250 channels ... also, I think they throw in the $5.99 for the DVR fee. If they would let me have it I'd go for it.

Phobia
12-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks, I already called them tonight. They said some old guy named Mike cancelled the order. So they've ordered another and are shipping it two day.

Manila-Chief
12-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Now I wonder who that "old guy" was?????

Chiefs Pantalones
12-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I just got the directv DVR model R15. Has anyone had any problems with that one?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-09-2006, 11:35 PM
My R15 hasn't given me any trouble since August when I got it.

Good news.

Al Bundy
12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if DirecTV offers local KC channels in HD?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Has anyone else had problems with the HR20? I hope not, because we're getting one on Jan. 2.

Phobia
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I'm on my 2nd one. It's not working at ALL now. The menus work so I know everything is hooked up properly but I have no programming. Getting ready to call them now.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I'm on my 2nd one. It's not working at ALL now. The menus work so I know everything is hooked up properly but I have no programming. Getting ready to call them now.

Crap, I wonder what's going on?

Do you think that's the norm with the majority of them? Anyone else you know have troubles?

Skip Towne
12-27-2006, 09:19 PM
It sounds like your account has become deactivated. Are you getting an error message in the lower right hand corner? Something like 711 or 721?

Phobia
12-27-2006, 09:36 PM
It doesn't say anything at all. I have a completely blank screen.

Skip Towne
12-27-2006, 09:39 PM
It doesn't say anything at all. I have a completely blank screen.
Sounds like a dead receiver. Did you re-set it? (button inside the access card door?)

Phobia
12-27-2006, 09:58 PM
No. I didn't know about that button. But I did and now it works. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I still don't know why it does that - for no apparent reason and with no warning. The HR20 is too finicky than it's worth.

Skip Towne
12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
No. I didn't know about that button. But I did and now it works. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I still don't know why it does that - for no apparent reason and with no warning. The HR20 is too finicky than it's worth.
I think they rushed it into production so they could get rid of TIVO. Dish just stole Tivo's patent. Neither were very smart moves.

Chief Roundup
12-27-2006, 10:04 PM
When do you think DTV will have the bugs worked out of the DVR's?

Skip Towne
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
When do you think DTV will have the bugs worked out of the DVR's?
Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think they know what they are doing. I think they should buy TIVO for 90 million or so then collect the 90 million dollar judgement TIVO has against Dish Notwork.