PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade up for Calvin Johnson?

CoMoChief
11-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I dunno just wondering about this. What are your thoughts on this? The guy is a beast, and this next draft is pretty deep in the DT position. We need a WR pretty darn bad. Sammie Parker just isn't really gonna cut it IMO and EK won't be around for too much longer. I just know that this guy plus TonyG would create huge mismatch problems, especially with our running game. I know we need as many picks as we can get to install more youth to this team but what do you think?

Reerun_KC
11-18-2006, 12:14 PM
How high do you think he is going to be? We need OL and DL more than we need a WR. Those are our 2 biggest holes and weaknesses for next year.

Brock
11-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Trade up to the top 3? Nahgannahoppen.

CoMoChief
11-18-2006, 12:16 PM
How high do you think he is going to be? We need OL and DL more than we need a WR. Those are our 2 biggest holes and weaknesses for next year.

Probably 5-10.

The WR position isn't going to be deep for another couple seasons though, this guy has superstar talent. Since WR is a place of concern, I'd figure we could get the best one availble for a few drafts to come.

JBucc
11-18-2006, 12:18 PM
It would probably take too much to trade up that high.

Reerun_KC
11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
True, but if you cant block for Trent or Jesus Huard, how can you get him the ball?

But I history repeats its self and Typical Carl Managed team we will be picking around 15-20, then have a contract hold out and screaming match. See John Tait.

Imagine how nice it would be to have Tait right now. Thanks Carl for being a total F*ck Tool!

Mr. Laz
11-18-2006, 12:20 PM
are you forgetting who would have to do the trading?

c'mon ..... we usually get screwed on even the smallest trade.

CoMoChief
11-18-2006, 12:22 PM
It would probably take too much to trade up that high.

I guess then it all depends on how we finish this season then. If we make the playoffs, then I guess it would take too much to trade up for him but if we are in the middle of the pack in draft order like we have been for a while (besides the 2004 draft), then maybe it wouldnt take too much.

Reerun_KC
are you forgetting who would have to do the trading?

c'mon ..... we usually get screwed on even the smallest trade.

your not referring to the "Almighty One" are you? King Carl?

milkman
I tend to agree with Mecca's take on this.

We take the best player available at our spot, which is likley to be Dwayne Jarret.

If Alan Branch or Sam Baker are there, then those would be my choices.

hypersensitiveZO6
11-18-2006, 12:23 PM
coming from 32....too much

Demonpenz
11-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Serious thoughts from Demonpenz..no bullshit Our Wr wouldn't look so bad if we had better protection. I wouldn't want to trade up and herm won't either. We are going to get an OL and start beefing up Dfence. I look at some of the elite WR around the league and their teams don't scare me because defense wins superbowls. When it gets play offtime and the weather is shitty and the refs let you get away with more clutching and grabbing football will always get back to defence stopping the run and being able to run.

Ebolapox
11-18-2006, 12:32 PM
we don't have enough ammo to get that shindig started

Mr. Laz
11-18-2006, 12:33 PM
your not referring to the "Almighty One" are you? King Carl?
i referring to whomever does that stuff for the chiefs

aside from a few trades(3rd for roaf/two 5's for Fujita) we always give top market value and generally get bottom market value.

when we trade up in the draft we pay a high price and when we trade down we get the lower end value.

heck ..... we'd have to give up so much to move up into the top 5 that i doubt it would be worth it.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-18-2006, 12:38 PM
It can't be determined who we should draft until after we see what the Chiefs do in free agency.

the Talking Can
11-18-2006, 12:45 PM
he's top 5

but yeah, I'd take him if we had a chance.....otherwise we have to strengthen the OL and DTs...it would be nice if we could find a solid veteran #2WR in FA....like Keysawn this year...then we could look for a WR in the draft next year....

PastorMikH
11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
A WR won't do much good if our OTs can't hold off DEs long enough for the QB to take 3 steps back.

We need 2 OTs in a bad way. I think our first rounder will need to be an OT.

milkman
11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
A WR won't do much good if our OTs can't hold off DEs long enough for the QB to take 3 steps back.

We need 2 OTs in a bad way. I think our first rounder will need to be an OT.

A big problem historically for us is the drafting for need.

We have a lot of needs, so drafting a need position wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but if the best player available is a WR, then we should take him.

We'd be filling a need at the same time as we are taking the best player available.

If we're drafting in the 20-23 spot, taking a tackle there might not be a good value.

Sure-Oz
11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
If we didn't take the best player available before we wouldn't have LJ.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Sometimes we get lucky.

milkman
11-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Before LJ, we almost always drafted for need.

Over the last 4-5 drafts, we've selected the best player avialable (except Junior).

Adept Havelock
11-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Heck no. The guy is a potential superstar, but we need Linemen far too badly. We'd probably have to pull a Ditka to move up to grab him, and it's just not worth it.

RealSNR
11-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I remember the last time we traded up in the first round. We lost a 3rd and a 6th rounder, but worst of all, we're plagued with a mountain of mediocrity at DT. We have someone who was supposed to be a rock in the line for years, and we wait year after year, hoping that something good will happen from him. We get the occasional awesome play during the season and reports that he looks "fantastic" in training camp to keep our hopes up, but all that does is blind us to the fact that he's a total fraud. The really sad thing? He's one of the better DTs on this team, which is why he still has a job.

You all know exactly what I'm talking about. Let's trade up and put this franchise in a total shithole for another 3-5 years if things don't work out exactly as planned.

So that would be a big fat no, we should not.

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
More likely to trade up for an OT.

Stewie
11-18-2006, 01:53 PM
No way. We have bigger needs than WR - especially if we'd have to trade up to do it. We need OL help and a DT with a motor and desire. I guess that's not a big secret.

KcMizzou
11-18-2006, 01:54 PM
I remember the last time we traded up in the first round. We lost a 3rd and a 6th rounder, but worst of all, we're plagued with a mountain of mediocrity at DT. We have someone who was supposed to be a rock in the line for years, and we wait year after year, hoping that something good will happen from him. We get the occasional awesome play during the season and reports that he looks "fantastic" in training camp to keep our hopes up, but all that does is blind us to the fact that he's a total fraud. The really sad thing? He's one of the better DTs on this team, which is why he still has a job.

You all know exactly what I'm talking about. Let's trade up and put this franchise in a total shithole for another 3-5 years if things don't work out exactly as planned.

So that would be a big fat no, we should not.Devil's advocate...

We also traded up for Tony G.

OctoberFart
11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Trade up to the top 3? Nahgannahoppen.
You are right as there would be only 2 teams to trade with as OAK isn't trading with KC.

Demonpenz
11-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Devil's advocate...

We also traded up for Tony G.

no shit 3 batting titles later ! he is on his way to cooperstown

ChiefsCountry
11-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Build the OL up, you can get by having 2nd tier receivers but you can't win with a 2nd tier line.

Hootie
11-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd rather not draft any WR in the first round...

CHENZ A!
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
MARIO MANNINGHAM

JBucc
11-18-2006, 06:21 PM
MARIO MANNINGHAMhas to wait one more year....

Mecca
11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I consider Calvin Johnson the best player in this draft.......and the best WR prospect of the last 5-7 years. I think he is that good and will be great like HOF great but that said.

You're talking top 3 and well I don't think we can get that high with any sort of trade.

CHENZ A!
11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
has to wait one more year....

damn :banghead: