PDA

View Full Version : Turley as an elligible receiver

RealSNR
11-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Did you guys see this formation we ran against the Turds? Chris Terry was at RT with Turley as a blocking TE to the right signed in as a possible option in the passing game. I believe Jason Dunn was on the other side. When used as an extra blocker, that was the play that sprang Michael Bennett on his 20-yarder as well as LJ's TD.

Thoughts?

jidar
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
My only thought at the time was "wtf?"

I honestly have no idea about that other than maybe misdirection from the fact that we were stacking the hell out of that side.

Donger
11-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Forgive the question, but what's the reasoning behind the eligible receiver rule?

Rain Man
11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I swear that the announcers once said that Turley was lined up at TE on the right side and Bober was lined up at TE on the left side, which would have meant we also had Terry at RT and Welbourne at LG. I can't confirm it, but I know that the announcers said it.

Seven o-linemen on the field, plus a tight end. That is so cool.

Hootie
11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Forgive the question, but what's the reasoning behind the eligible receiver rule?
Turley is listed as an offensive tackle, so when he enters the game as a tight-end, they announce him as an elgible receiver so the defense knows to have him accounted for.

Donger
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Turley is listed as an offensive tackle, so when he enters the game as a tight-end, they announce him as an elgible receiver so the defense knows to have him accounted for.

Yeah, but why do they have to tell them?

Rain Man

You have to have seven guys on the line, of which the interior five are ineligible and the outer two are eligible. The inside guys are identified by their jersey numbers, so if a guy with an "interior five" jersey plays on the end of the line, then he's eligible. He must notify the refs so they can tell the other team that, contrary to his number, he's eligible to go out. I think the purpose is to keep a team from shifting at the last minute so that a tackle becomes eligible, just to fool the other team.

DaFace
On Herm's postgame show, he mentioned that they will probably keep the formation even after Gonzo comes back. It allows them to create a lot of mismatches and one hell of a blocking line.

He was always asked if they actually had any passing plays to Turley in there. Herm said something to the effect of "Actually, we have a few." It'd be interesting to see him in on a pass play.

Rain Man
11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, but why do they have to tell them?

If the wide receiver takes a step backwards before the snap, suddenly the tackle becomes eligible. Teams would be making all sorts of shifts, and you would have a lot of confusion about who's eligible and who's not. With the current system, you know that a lineman is ineligible no matter what, unless he's declared to be eligible.

Donger
11-20-2006, 05:34 PM
If the wide receiver takes a step backwards before the snap, suddenly the tackle becomes eligible. Teams would be making all sorts of shifts, and you would have a lot of confusion about who's eligible and who's not. With the current system, you know that a lineman is ineligible no matter what, unless he's declared to be eligible.

Thanks. Well, it would seem that it would make it really interesting if any offensive player could be eligible. It would be fun to see the entire team go downfield. I guess you'd better hope the QB is rather mobile in that scenario.

Rain Man
11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks. Well, it would seem that it would make it really interesting if any offensive player could be eligible. It would be fun to see the entire team go downfield. I guess you'd better hope the QB is rather mobile in that scenario.

Believe it or not, I started a thread about this just a couple of weeks ago. My theory is that it would eliminate large players from the game, and everyone would go with 200-pound fast guys.

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Bob Dole assumes we saved the Dunn pass plays for the Dungver game.

KC Jones
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Turley was trying to get back into the league as a TE anyway. While I'm sure he was primarily thinking blocking TE, I bet he has decent hands and we can use him as a "surprise" receiver from time to time.

Hootie
11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
I like Welbourn at LG and Terry at RT...

Suddenly we have a lot of depth on the offensive line...when Waters gets back, our line might not be too bad.

At this point, I doubt Black loses his job...but if we could get Welbourn playing at a high level again over at LT and Terry at RT...we suddenly have a pretty solid line.

el borracho
11-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I hope we get at least one Joe Valerio style TD out of Turley before the end of the year. Hopefully against a team we really hate like the Bronc-hoes or the Raidurrs. It is always more satisfying to trick and embarrass those you hate most.