PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise: Is his career over?

alnorth
11-20-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,230597,00.html

I was reading this story and was surprised to find myself agreeing with the premise: I think this guy is pretty much done, aside from a few little movies here and there that probably wont attract much of an audience.

I can live with Mel Gibson's oddities and see the talented actor underneath, I can believe his characters. I am fine with the few notable far-far-far-left wing outspoken wackos in Hollywood. I know their politics, but in the movie I dont care, I can forget about all that, believe their acting, and see the character they portray.

For some reason its different with Tom Cruise. A LOT different. I just can not take this guy seriously. I dont care if he plays a role in the most well-written story ever made or puts forth a huge effort in his acting, everytime I look at the guy's face I think "batsh*t insane", my mind goes blank and its over. I'm lost in the story because I'm distracted by how much of a looney tune he is. The Scientology obviously doesnt help, religion about aliens made up by a pulp Sci-Fi author.... ya, ok. I could have gotten over that. Its his fierce zealousness in his beliefs and the behavior I cant get over. Prancing around on Oprah's couch, and his very public unrelenting condemnation of modern psychology based on nothing resembling an intelligent thought, I just cant get past that, I look in his eyes and see nothing but vacant madness.

So, if I ever see a another movie preview with Tom Cruise in it, unless he plays the role of some psycho in a mental institution I'm not seeing it. What do you think?

Bwana
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I agree, he's a total wack job.

Easy 6
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
He's buckwheats...

Calcountry
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,230597,00.html

So, if I see a movie with Tom Cruise in it, unless he plays the role of some psycho in a mental institution I'm not seeing it. What do you think?

"Sometimes you just have to say WTF?"

Bob Dole
Tom Cruise and Michael Richards are working up a new sitcom as we type.

headsnap
Wapner, definitely Wapner...

yeah...

KcMizzou
11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
So, if I see a movie with Tom Cruise in it, unless he plays the role of some psycho in a mental institution I'm not seeing it. What do you think?Meh, even then Brad Pitt would be better. Ever see 12 Monkeys?

I agree. Not only is he nuts, he's so over-exposed that you can't see the character any more, you just see the actor.

Adept Havelock
11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, I'll watch his last scene in "Taps" over and over again. For some reason I never get tired of it. :)

That's not what I said, kid. I said you are a natural character. You're an incredible flake. But that's a gift. Guys spend half their lives inventing that.

Paul knew this about Tom years before we found out about his Xenu obsession.

CHENZ A!
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
The guy is ****ing weird, but he makes good movies. so I don't really care about his make beleive cult/religion thing, because he is a good actor, and he isn't hurting anyone.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
No. I think its laughable how they say that MI3 was a failure, yet it still had a huge opening weekend and grossed 135 million overall. It was also the best film in the series.
Its all relative i guess......

Cruise is well respected and has worked with the top directors in Hollywood. Hes far from over.

CHENZ A!
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
MI3 was good? I never saw it, but the other 2 kicked ass.

mlyonsd
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Didn't he just become part owner in a movie producing company? If so, no his career isn't over.

FAX
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I've mentioned this before, but MI3 was the only movie I've ever elected not to see due to the off-screen persona of an actor.

All that lost-souls-go-down-the-volcano stuff and his treatment of the South Park guys makes it difficult for me to suspend disbelief during the film for some reason.

For me, his career is pretty much over unless he converts to Mehr Baba worship or something.

FAX

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I've mentioned this before, but MI3 was the only movie I've ever elected not to see due to the off-screen persona of an actor.

You obviously wouldn't have reacted that way had you reached the State of Clear, Mr. FAX.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
MI3 was good? I never saw it, but the other 2 kicked ass.

So do yourself a favor and go rent it. It kicks ass.

and try not to let all the media hype about Cruise get to you.

BucEyedPea
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
The market will have the last say.

Easy 6
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm betting him & Travolta team up for Battlefield Earth 2.

alnorth
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Didn't he just become part owner in a movie producing company? If so, no his career isn't over.

Artsy flicks that are seen by 14 people, and attempts at a big movie that do horribly in sales dont count. This guy was an annual summer blockbuster heavyweight, one of the elite actors of the world. I believe that he wont be anything close to that again.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
. This guy was an annual summer blockbuster heavyweight, one of the elite actors of the world. I believe that he wont be anything close to that again.

Good lord, his last film grossed 135 million dollars.....id love to have that sort of flop.....LOL

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm betting him & Travolta team up for Battlefield Earth 2.

With Michael Richards!

That was one of the best movies EVAH!!!11!!!1

Easy 6
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
With Michael Richards!

That was one of the best movies EVAH!!!11!!!1

Its destined to be one of the top 5 movie franchises.

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Artsy flicks that are seen by 14 people, and attempts at a big movie that do horribly in sales dont count. This guy was an annual summer blockbuster heavyweight, one of the elite actors of the world. I believe that he wont be anything close to that again.

I'm not exactly a fan of Tom Cruise the person (or the actor), but that's just plain uninformed. He and his parter Paula Wagner were just named co-heads of United Artists, a historic company that has its root with Charlie Chaplin. They'll be producing $100 million dollar plus films that won't star Cruise.

In addition, he has a new production company deal with Dan Snyder. And all the crap you read about "Paramount dumping Cruise" was untrue. The deal had expired and the *real* nut, Sumner Redstone went public with his dislike for Cruise. That 84 year-old wingbat just turned off more than half the people working in this town. That's why Paramount has sucked for so long. Redstone's a moron control freak.

With that said, I could really care less if I see another TC movie again. Sorry to disagree with the others who like MI:3, I thought it was extremely predictable and boring. Either I've seen too many Lost & Alias episodes or it was just flat-out predictible but I thought the film was a cliche of J.J. Abrams other work. WoW was typical boring, happy ending Spielberg. I think the last Cruise film I actually enjoyed to a certain degree was Vanilla Sky. But whatever.

I'd take his dough, though. :evil:

alnorth
11-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Good lord, his last film grossed 135 million dollars.....id love to have that sort of flop.....LOL

They spent $150M to film it.

The foreign box office did rescue the movie, but domestically given the advertising spent for the movie, it didnt do as well as they hoped.

Aside from that, when this film was released, the US was barely suspecting that he may be a little nuts, with most of the water cooler talk not quite yet filtering out to the random Joes who dont get out much. At this point, you have to be living under a rock not to have heard all the jokes and scorn.

If the MI series was started a year later and MI3 was scheduled for 2007, I bet it wouldnt do nearly as well as it did, which was already below expectations to begin with.

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not exactly a fan of Tom Cruise the person (or the actor), but that's just plain uninformed. He and his parter Paula Wagner were just named co-heads of United Artists, a historic company that has its root with Charlie Chaplin. They'll be producing $100 million dollar plus films that won't star Cruise.

Plus, he's buddies with Oprah, so that's an automatic sale to the bon-bon crowd.

KcMizzou
11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Not many people liked the movie... but I thought he did a great acting job in "Magnolia".

Deberg_1990
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM

In addition, he has a new production company deal with Dan Snyder. And all the crap you read about "Paramount dumping Cruise" was untrue. The deal had expired and the *real* nut, Sumner Redstone went public with his dislike for Cruise. That 84 year-old wingbat just turned off more than half the people working in this town. That's why Paramount has sucked for so long. Redstone's a moron control freak.

With that said, I could really care less if I see another TC movie again. Sorry to disagree with the others who like MI:3, I thought it was extremely predictable and boring. Either I've seen too many Lost & Alias episodes or it was just flat-out predictible but I thought the film was a cliche of J.J. Abrams other work. WoW was typical boring, happy ending Spielberg. I think the last Cruise film I actually enjoyed to a certain degree was Vanilla Sky. But whatever.

I'd take his dough, though. :evil:

Well said....I just enjoy watching his films and he rarely makes a bad one because he works with the best directors.

I could care less what God or alien he worships to.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I think a thread titled: Michael Richards, is his career over?

Might be more appropriate.

FAX
11-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Well said....I just enjoy watching his films and he rarely makes a bad one because he works with the best directors.

I could care less what God or alien he worships to.

Okay. Granted, Mr. Deberg_1990. But, how about suing the South Park guys?

That's inexcusable.

FAX

BucEyedPea
11-20-2006, 08:52 PM
But, how about suing the South Park guys?

That's inexcusable.

FAX

What was that about?

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
What was that about?

Google is your friend.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/19/south_park_axed/

UK TV viewers will not get to see an episode of South Park which shows Nicole Kidman and fellow Scientologist John Travolta attempting to coax a fictional Tom Cruise character out of a closet, with Kidman saying: "Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the closet. You're not fooling anyone."

Naturally, the robustly heterosexual Top Gun star took exception to this when Trapped in the Closet aired in the US. The episode also showed Stan - believed by the Cruise character to be the reincarnation of Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard - having a pop at Cruise's acting abilities, and Cruise reportedly waved the legal big stick at Paramount and threatened to sue if the offending programme was ever shown again.

An insider said: "Tom is famously very litigious and will go to great lengths to protect his reputation. Tom was said not to like the episode and Paramount just didn't dare risk showing it again. It's a shame that UK audiences will never see it because it's very funny.

BucEyedPea
11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
I just didn't feel like lookin' it up Dane...but thanks.
I forgot about that episode. I didn't know he tried to sue over it.

RNR
11-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I agree, he's a total wack job.
Heck Bwana most them Hollywood folks are leftwing idiots! Don Johnson went to school with my brother. My brother said he was a dork, Kristy Alley is from here also and strange is the word that comes to mind. The public has a attention span of about 10 minutes, and I would wager a guess him and old Mel will be making movies for years to come.

Bob Dole
11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Heck Bwana most them Hollywood folks are leftwing idiots! Don Johnson went to school with my brother. My brother said he was a dork, Kristy Alley is from here also and strange is the word that comes to mind. The public has a attention span of about 10 minutes, and I would wager a guess him and old Mel will be making movies for years to come.

Those Hollywood people are

What the **** was this thread about?

RNR
11-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Those Hollywood people are

What the **** was this thread about?
I guess I must have strayed from your idea of what the topic was.

Halfcan
11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
He has always been a shitty actor-most of his movies realy suck. MI3 got such horrible reviews-I doubt that I will ever see it.

KcMizzou
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
He has always been a shitty actor-most of his movies realy suck. MI3 got such horrible reviews-I doubt that I will ever see it.
It actually got fairly decent reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_3/

Not that I really care. I was never much of a Mission Impossible fan.