PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Big XII fans may not see bowl games

tk13
11-22-2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16070894.htm

MU, KU, K-State fans may not see bowl game

JEFFREY FLANGAN
Kansas City Star

Fortunately for Chiefs fans who don’t get the NFL Network on their cable systems, the league mandates that all its cable games also be offered to over-the-air stations in the two teams’ markets.

There are no such mandates for college games, and that could be bad news for Kansas, Kansas State or Missouri football fans.

The NFL Network has the rights to the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 and the Insight Bowl on Dec. 29, both of which will feature lower-tiered Big 12 teams.

In other words, it’s likely that one or both of those bowl games will involve Kansas, Kansas State or Missouri, and unless your cable carrier has the NFL Network, you’re out of luck. Time Warner Cable, the predominant cable carrier in Kansas City, doesn’t carry the NFL Network.

And Seth Palansky, NFL Network spokesman, said the NFL Network has no intentions of offering either bowl game to local over-the-air stations.

“What would be the point of buying the rights to those games if you turn around and give the product away for free?” Palansky said.

The NFL mandate on simulcasting cable games dates to 1987 when ESPN became part of the NFL’s TV package, Palansky said. But honoring that agreement doesn’t mean the NFL Network should create a similar one for college games, he said.

“Back in 1987, no one really knew how much cable would become a part of the landscape,” Palansky said.

“But this is 20 years later, and the cable penetration is far more substantial than anyone may have imagined back then.”

Time Warner Cable has not come to agreement with the NFL Network, primarily because it objects to the network’s demands that it be placed on basic cable. Time Warner has indicated it considers the NFL Network a specialty channel and that it should be placed on a sports tier.

What might this all mean to Jayhawks, Wildcats or Tigers fans? Find a buddy with the NFL Network or find a sports bar.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm going to MELT-DOWN if we don't get the Alamo bowl.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-22-2006, 08:59 AM

I agree!!! Mostly because I intend to go to SA or Shreveport if we go....**** the Insight!

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 09:03 AM
I can only make the Alamo. It's on a Saturday. Independence is on a Thursday AFTERNOON, and Insight is on a friday night on NFL Network.

I have a feeling we will get Insight...

siberian khatru
11-22-2006, 09:04 AM

ROFL

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
ROFL
:cuss:

At least Missouri is not a threat to the Alamo Bowl..at least I hope not..

siberian khatru
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
:cuss:

At least Missouri is not a threat to the Alamo Bowl..at least I hope not..

First off, I thought you were kidding. Sorry.

Second, Missouri's only a threat to themselves -- and my sanity.

:)

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 09:19 AM
K-State vs Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. Come on. Do it. There would be no better Bowl game for Chiefsplanet.com.

Raiderhater
11-22-2006, 09:20 AM
K-State vs Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. Come on. Do it. There would be no better Bowl game for Chiefsplanet.com.

That would be kick ass.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 09:20 AM
That would be kick ass.
Iowa has already accepted the bid.

ROYC75
11-22-2006, 09:44 AM
IF KU were to knock off MU, I expect KU would get the Alamo Bowl bid.......

FTR, I think Iowa would shit in the Kittens litter box.....

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 09:48 AM

KU would get the Insight.com bowl if they knock off Missouri. If they don't, i'd imagine they would get the Texas or the Poinsettia bowl.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-22-2006, 10:08 AM

not a chance in HELL.

OnTheWarpath15
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I had heard something yesterday on the all-sports radio station here that the Alamo Bowl has already came out and said they are NOT interested in Missouri.....

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
I had heard something yesterday on the all-sports radio station here that the Alamo Bowl has already came out and said they are NOT interested in Missouri.....
Getting cold down the stretch plus having a bad traveling fan base did that.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
not a chance in HELL.
Roy is an idiot. Pay him no mind.

Lzen
11-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Seriously, why would you guys not at least entertain the idea that KU could get the Alamo Bowl instead of KSU? That is, if KU beats MU on Saturday. That would give all 3 teams the same record. Yes, I know KSU knocked off Texas and that is a great feather in their cap. Still, KU would have knocked off both of those teams. I realize bowls don't have to go by head to head tiebreakers, but I would think they would at least consider KU if they win this Saturday.

Lzen
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
As far as the NFL Network, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. I have it on my Dish Network. :)

mikeyis4dcats.
11-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Seriously, why would you guys not at least entertain the idea that KU could get the Alamo Bowl instead of KSU? That is, if KU beats MU on Saturday. That would give all 3 teams the same record. Yes, I know KSU knocked off Texas and that is a great feather in their cap. Still, KU would have knocked off both of those teams. I realize bowls don't have to go by head to head tiebreakers, but I would think they would at least consider KU if they win this Saturday.

because Alamo has stated the two teams they are interested in are Texas Tech and KSU because of the well-travelling fan bases. KU and MU lack that...and thus will be relegated to a shity bowl. KU is destined for the Pointsetta or Texas Bowl, if they go.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty much going off what the Alamo Bowl reps said. Texas Tech, A&M, or Kansas State.

KU lacks a marquee win. Their best wins have come against South Florida and Kansas State. That, and their fanbase does not travel well.

Insight.com is not a bad bowl.

WilliamTheIrish
11-22-2006, 12:18 PM

When did you start following college football?

Stick with golf. Seriously.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty much going off what the Alamo Bowl reps said. Texas Tech, A&M, or Kansas State.

KU lacks a marquee win. Their best wins have come against South Florida and Kansas State. That, and their fanbase does not travel well.

Insight.com is not a bad bowl.

You can't put a blanket statement about the fans not traveling well. Last year at the Ft. Worth bowl KU was represented very well. The previous bowl apprearances were in the Aloha Bowl, which no teams fans travel well to; and the Tangerine Bowl which was on a Monday night 3 days before Christmas. I think the Jayhawks will be very well represented in what ever bowl they go to.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
You can't put a blanket statement about the fans not traveling well. Last year at the Ft. Worth bowl KU was represented very well. The previous bowl apprearances were in the Aloha Bowl, which no teams fans travel well to; and the Tangerine Bowl which was on a Monday night 3 days before Christmas. I think the Jayhawks will be very well represented in what ever bowl they go to.
I doubt Lew would give free tickets to students to the Alamo bowl. JMO.

They may travel well if given the opportunity to a bigger bowl, but they have a HISTORY of not traveling well to football games.

htismaqe
11-22-2006, 01:00 PM

You're 100% correct.

Although I was kinda hoping that Iowa would get the Insight so we here could watch Mediacom squirm...

htismaqe
11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I doubt Lew would give free tickets to students to the Alamo bowl. JMO.

They may travel well if given the opportunity to a bigger bowl, but they have a HISTORY of not traveling well to football games.

Yep. It's all about history.

It's the ONLY reason they took Iowa over the Minnesota team that JUST BEAT THEM.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
You're 100% correct.

Although I was kinda hoping that Iowa would get the Insight so we here could watch Mediacom squirm...
No NFL Network there?

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Yep. It's all about history.

It's the ONLY reason they took Iowa over the Minnesota team that JUST BEAT THEM.
Exactly.

It kinda pisses me off that Iowa got the bid so early and we have to wait. Iowa fans travel very well, like KSU fans. They are already locking up the close hotels...

htismaqe
11-22-2006, 01:06 PM
No NFL Network there?

Not on Mediacom. Hell, there was such an uproar about the coverage of Iowa vs. 1-AA MONTANA earlier in the year that Mediacom caved. Mediacom is also fighting with Sinclair Broadcasting, who owns our local Fox affiliate, and Sinclair has pulled their contract. Starting December 1, Mediacom will no longer be able to carry it.

Having Iowa's bowl game only on the NFL Network would be the coup de grace.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Well, don't have to worry about that, then.

It's hilarious reading the Iowa forums..the Iowa fans want Mizzou in the Alamo bowl, for obvious reasons.

They want no part of Texas Tech (don't blame them). They seem to like A&M as well.

My hope is OU wins, which gets them in the Gator bowl. That will give A&M to the Holiday or the Cotton bowl.

htismaqe
11-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, don't have to worry about that, then.

It's hilarious reading the Iowa forums..the Iowa fans want Mizzou in the Alamo bowl, for obvious reasons.

They want no part of Texas Tech (don't blame them). They seem to like A&M as well.

My hope is OU wins, which gets them in the Gator bowl. That will give A&M to the Holiday or the Cotton bowl.

Yeah, we'd like nothing more than to play Mizzou. We had to add a 1-AA game because of those chickenshits...