PDA

View Full Version : Processor question

Coach
11-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey I know that this should be in the media forums, but I figured since traffic today could be slow and that I'd like to know the answer to this before Friday.

What processer is better suited for gaming? Athlon or Intel?

What is the recent and fastest processor for Athlon and Intel?

Thanks.

StcChief
11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
AMD Athlon... no doubt. read the reviews.

Not just speed it's about the architecture and throughput.

Better and cheaper.

JBucc
11-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I think that Intel core duo 2 thingy is the best one out there right now, but as far as best cost for performance it's probably some Athlon 64x2 or something. I don't know a whole lot about that stuff though.

Simplex3
11-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Your video card will be every bit as important if not more so than your CPU.

Coach
11-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Your video card will be every bit as important if not more so than your CPU.

Yeah, and I'm not too worried about the video card, since I believe it is a Geo-Force 6500 (256 MB Video Card) IIRC.

penguinz
11-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah, and I'm not too worried about the video card, since I believe it is a Geo-Force 6500 (256 MB Video Card) IIRC.When you buy a new MB and processor you will more than likely need a new video card as well. The newer MB's do not use AGP video cards anymore.

penguinz
11-23-2006, 09:25 AM
And as far as your question... Right now the Intel Core 2Duos are the best way to go. They are benching out faster than the AMD X2's and are on the same price point.

PastorMikH
11-23-2006, 10:10 AM
All the games I can afford will run on a Pentium III or AMD K7 just fine.

:sulk::)

bishop_74
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Check these out... and don't let the anti-establishment Intel haters sway your thinking. They both have their strong points, and are neck and neck for "speed". Most of the workload is compiled by your graphics card though. The processor will just provide faster load times.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

Fire Me Boy!
11-23-2006, 10:42 AM
The AMD 64X2 in my wife's laptop kicks ass.

Vegas_Dave
11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I am an AMD diehard (been on board since the K6-III). They make awesome CPU's and the Athlon 64 X2 is unbelievable.

However, with that being said, if price is not the issue, then the Intel Core 2 Duo is the best CPU on the market right now. Dont get it confused with an Intel Core Duo, thats a good chip but doesnt beat the X2

The Intel Core 2 Duo is the best CPU on the market right now.

For gaming, make sure to get a bad a$$ video card. If you have to, go down a grade on the CPU and get the better video card.

caffeinated_virus
11-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I am an AMD diehard (been on board since the K6-III). They make awesome CPU's and the Athlon 64 X2 is unbelievable.

However, with that being said, if price is not the issue, then the Intel Core 2 Duo is the best CPU on the market right now. Dont get it confused with an Intel Core Duo, thats a good chip but doesnt beat the X2

The Intel Core 2 Duo is the best CPU on the market right now.

For gaming, make sure to get a bad a$$ video card. If you have to, go down a grade on the CPU and get the better video card.

Same here. I was a AMD fan boy. But I read up on the Core 2 Duo and built a new rig....WOW is all I can see.

I bought the E6600 (clocked at 2.4ghz with 4mb cache) and the performance is fantastic (couple it with a good vid card and you are set).

Also, these Core 2 Duo chips Overclock very nicely if you decide to do that.

chiefsfan58
11-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Intel Core2 hands down..