PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Cutler Gets the Call

GoodDaySir!
11-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Jake Plummer, we hardly knew thee...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4722152

Heading into his coaching-staff meeting today, Mike Shanahan is planning to make Jay Cutler the Broncos' starting quarterback for the Sunday, Dec. 3 game against Seattle, sources close to the situation confirmed.

Cutler, a rookie from Vanderbilt, will replace veteran Jake Plummer, who had started the Broncos' previous 46 games, including playoffs, dating back to the 2003 season.

The immediate reasons for making the switch are hardly complicated. Despite a 7-4 overall record, the Broncos are coming off arguably their worst all-around performance this season, a 19-10 loss Thursday at Kansas City, and appear in need of a jolt after losing two in a row for the first time in two years.

The extra time to mentally regroup and prepare for the defending NFC-champion Seahawks before a nationally televised audience at home further convinced Shanahan the timing is right to end one era and begin another, according to sources.

As of today, no players had been informed of a change, most notably Plummer and Cutler, who could not be reached for comment. The players are off until they have to report back to practice on Monday.

Although starting a rookie quarterback so late in a season as the playoff race intensifies carries uncertainty and risk, the Broncos don't necessarily need Cutler to duplicate the fast starts of Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger. The only immediate expectation on Cutler is to outperform Plummer.

Entering games Sunday, Plummer is ranked 29th among NFL quarterbacks with a 70.5 rating. He had thrown 12 interceptions against 11 touchdown passes, and has a relatively meager 6.33 yards per pass attempt.

The plan is to make the change permanent. Plummer is expected to finish out the season as a No. 2 quarterback for the first time in his 10-year NFL career.

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not exactly sure how Cutler fixes that horrendous run defense, but hey, Shanahan's a genius and all.

Frazod
11-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Cool. One less team in playoff contention to worry about. :thumb:

hypersensitiveZO6
11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
The Chiefs fu*k up another team........

Season over, ya Donkey Shitbags

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

FAX
11-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Ratty has lost his mind at last.

FAX

thedude
11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Hopefully Mr. Cutler was watching Plummer intently and will use him as a role model for how to play the Quarterback position.

The Plummer era is over. I hope we retire a #16 jersey in his honor. The best defense is a Jake Plummer.

Adept Havelock
11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm not exactly sure how Cutler fixes that horrendous run defense, but hey, Shanahan's a genius and all.

It frees them up to put Jake the Flake at Defensive End. ;)

Deberg_1990
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Maybe im just getting old but Cutler looked like he just turned 16 the other night.

Im sure he will be good, but probably not this year. Shanny knows that Plummer has taken them as far as he is ever going to take them, so he really has no choice but to put Cutler in there before he loses the faith in the rest of his team.

redbrian
11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe im just getting old but Cutler looked like he just turned 16 the other night.

Im sure he will be good, but probably not this year. Shanny knows that Plummer has taken them as far as he is ever going to take them, so he really has no choice but to put Cutler in there before he loses the faith in the rest of his team.

I’m with you on that one I bet the kid isn’t even shaving yet.

Crush
11-25-2006, 05:26 PM

But, he's smart for his age.

hypersensitiveZO6
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
But, he's smart for his age.

LMAO How do you know this?

BigChiefFan
11-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Dumb move at this point. I think it's foolish to annoit Cutler the starter until the Broncos are out of contention. Shanahan has officially lost his mind.

morphius
11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
As bad as Plummer has been in every playoff game that Denver has played in, why not pull the trigger? I mean seriously, their only playoff win was because of their D, Plummer played like crap.

Right now the rat knows he needs to do something to get this team back on track. While their D has been ripped apart a few weeks, really, you are not going to face LT and LJ every week, so don't count them out yet. It isn't like they hadn't dumbed things down for Plummer already...

redbrian
11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
So what’s the stink at the mange on this, (I would go over there but I don’t want to get my hands dirty).

FAX
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Dumb move at this point. I think it's foolish to annoit Cutler the starter until the Broncos are out of contention. Shanahan has officially lost his mind.

My sentiments exactly, Mr. BigChiefFan. This move at this time doesn't make a lot of sense regardless of the spin.

I suppose if Cutler plays poorly, Rizzo can always put Plummer back in, but then you have a real problem on your hands.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
As bad as Plummer has been in every playoff game that Denver has played in, why not pull the trigger? I mean seriously, their only playoff win was because of their D, Plummer played like crap.

Right now the rat knows he needs to do something to get this team back on track. While their D has been ripped apart a few weeks, really, you are not going to face LT and LJ every week, so don't count them out yet. It isn't like they hadn't dumbed things down for Plummer already...

In order of appearance:

Shaun Alexander

LaDainian Tomlinson

Edgerrin James

Rudi Johnson

Frank Gore

I'd say that's about as good as it gets.

Denver's in trouble.......

GoodDaySir!
11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't know that it is a stupid move. Best case scenario for us right now is to get a wild card and then have to win 3 road games in a row against very good opponents.

Think Plummer could pull that off? Me neither.

I expect Cutler to show some flashes of greatness but also struggle as rookie QBs usually do. And when he does, so what. Our 10 year veteran QB was making the same mistakes.

Bowser
11-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Yep, Shanny went and flipped his lid. I can see it if the Broncos are 4-7, but they're still in this thing! I was under the impression that the offensive guys had Jake's back in this, and were taking responsibility for the poor play - not just heaping it on Plummer.

I'm going to go ahead aand assume, despite Bronco fan's non-stop fluffing of Cutler, that he is not the next Peyton Manning or Ben Rothlisberger. He's fooked if they end up going 2-3 or worse in the last five games.

And besides, looking at the running backs Denver has coming up, maybe Shanny should look at putting Cutler in at linebacker to help against the run.

Easy 6
11-25-2006, 05:56 PM
The guy has a big time arm, from what i have seen in the pre-season, he can put touch on the deep throw, a rare talent, like our own King Kong Brody.

But for this season its a wash for donktown, without a go-to back or a top TE and a suspect D jake utler will have severe growing pains.

No wonder their fans at the mange are being such strokers... :hmmm:

redbrian
11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't know that it is a stupid move. Best case scenario for us right now is to get a wild card and then have to win 3 road games in a row against very good opponents.

I expect Cutler to show some flashes of greatness but also struggle as rookie QBs usually do. And when he does, so what. Our 10 year veteran QB was making the same mistakes.

Best-case scenario is for the Chiefs to win the division.

GoodDaySir!
11-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Best-case scenario is for the Chiefs to win the division.

Umm...ok? Thanks for answering the question no one asked.

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Agreed.

Personally, I think it's a wash. Cutler's lack of experience will result in the same boneheaded mistakes Jake was making. So Cutler has a stronger arm.....it only matters if he makes the right decisions with the ball.

My concern would be that the guys in the locker room see a rookie QB starting in Week 13 and see that as a sign of throwing in the towel.

Oh yeah......and fixing that run D.

|Zach|
11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
There are times where Plummer looks like he is the rookie that has never started an NFL game...you know Plummer won't be your guy next year...

The worst he can do is be as good as Plummer. So this is good time spent getting your young guy ready for life as an NFL QB. Anything better than that? And you have a good QB on the field.

I would so the same thing if I were them...at least they will have an excuse now for the QB making rookie mistakes. He is a rookie...

siberian khatru
11-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I think the decline in the running game was the final nail in the coffin for Jake. They're facing more and more 3rd and longs, forcing Jake to become a pocket deep passer, which he's not.

The lack of a running game, along with the eroding defense, left Rat with almost no choice -- he needs to open up the passing game and he needs to score more points to make up for the D. Jake simply can't play under those conditions. Cutler's skills are better suited. Maybe he's not ready yet, but then again maybe Rat can milk him for a handful of good plays a game that will keep defenses honest.

jidar
11-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Just because they are throwing a rookie in there doesn't mean they wont make the playoffs. After all, they got to 7-4 with Plummer as QB.

Bowser
11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Where does Jake stand in relation to his contract?

And Fax needs to get in here and tell us about Cutler.

PunkinDrublic
11-25-2006, 06:05 PM
One of the columnist for the Denver Post said one of the dumbest things I've heard all year. I'm paraphrasing but he said something like "Anybody who's seen Cutler throw the ball in preseason could tell that he's poised to take the Donks to the super bowl."

Easy 6
11-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I think the decline in the running game was the final nail in the coffin for Jake. They're facing more and more 3rd and longs, forcing Jake to become a pocket deep passer, which he's not.

The lack of a running game, along with the eroding defense, left Rat with almost no choice -- he needs to open up the passing game and he needs to score more points to make up for the D. Jake simply can't play under those conditions. Cutler's skills are better suited. Maybe he's not ready yet, but then again maybe Rat can milk him for a handful of good plays a game that will keep defenses honest.

Bang.

FAX
11-25-2006, 06:07 PM

I watched this kid a lot at Vandy, Mr. GoodDaySir!. I honestly don't believe that he's ready to start in the NFL. I just don't. I could be wrong, of course ... I'm not Mr. htismaqe, after all, and I haven't attended donkey practice. But, I think he'll look like Eli Manning on a bad day. Day after day. It's hard to display the extraordinary power of your fabulous rocket arm when you're sitting on your ass in the grass with a defensive end on your face.

I'd agree with Rizzo on this move if the goats were out of the playoff hunt. The odds are that they will be with Cutler at the helm, though.

This move is nuts.

FAX

tiptap
11-25-2006, 06:11 PM

This is my take as well. Add to this the action taken in Miami and Dallas, both still maybe in a hunt. And the action of Tennessee and Phoenix with bad teams but the change at QB has been mixed. Even add in the situation in KC and how the change in QB wasn't as disasterous as one might have expected and there is plenty of cover for changing QBs for one who might give you a chance down the field.

alanm
11-25-2006, 06:13 PM
So what’s the stink at the mange on this, (I would go over there but I don’t want to get my hands dirty).
Delusional topics like "Will Cutler take us to the Superbowl" ROFL

GoodDaySir!
11-25-2006, 06:14 PM
I watched this kid a lot at Vandy, Mr. GoodDaySir!. I honestly don't believe that he's ready to start in the NFL. I just don't. I could be wrong, of course ... I'm not Mr. htismaqe, after all, and I haven't attended donkey practice. But, I think he'll look like Eli Manning on a bad day. Day after day. It's hard to display the extraordinary power of your fabulous rocket arm when you're sitting on your ass in the grass with a defensive end on your face.

I'd agree with Rizzo on this move if the goats were out of the playoff hunt. The odds are that they will be with Cutler at the helm, though.

This move is nuts.

FAX

Everybody keeps referencing the fact that we're still in the playoff hunt, so that makes this a crazy move.

Outside of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers, if a team does not win it's division, they're probably not going to get to the Super Bowl. We'd now need a minor miracle to win the AFC West. I think I speak for most Denver fans when I say, who cares if we make the playoffs as a wild card? It's just too hard to win 3 games in a row on the road.

We've made the playoffs consistenly since Shanahan took over, but just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough. You want to win it all, simple as that. Jake Plummer will never do that for us. Jay Cutler won't this year either. But he may someday.

GoodDaySir!
11-25-2006, 06:15 PM

I agree. Also, the entire league figured out the bootleg. I think that hurts as much as the lack of a consistent running game.

HemiEd
11-25-2006, 06:22 PM
the Broncos don't necessarily need Cutler to duplicate the fast starts of Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger. The only immediate expectation on Cutler is to outperform Plummer.

Can Cutler throw left handed?

Wile_E_Coyote
11-25-2006, 06:23 PM
If it doesn't work they can always throw Plummer back in. If it does they can trade Plummer away in the offseason & there are teams with a lot worse QBs than Jake

Wile_E_Coyote
11-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I would feel sorry for the guy If I hadn't heard an interview he did with the KC media last year. What a complete ass

cdcox
11-25-2006, 06:49 PM
The Jake is dead! Long live the Jake (Utler)!

morphius
11-25-2006, 06:53 PM
In order of appearance:

Shaun Alexander

LaDainian Tomlinson

Edgerrin James

Rudi Johnson

Frank Gore

I'd say that's about as good as it gets.

Denver's in trouble.......
Seattle hasn't been able to run all year. Rudi is good, but not on the same level as LT and LJ. James plays for an AZ team that really not playing well after those few tough losses after Leinart took over and haven't been running well.

LT and Gore will of course be an issue. Cinci could cause a whole host of other issues of course.

Hell, they are benching one of the worst starting QB's in the league right now. It isn't like they can go a lot further down.

Red Dawg
11-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Seattle is going to eat his ass up. The Donks are not playoff bound.

teedubya
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Jake Utler was like 11-35 at Vandy. Why would he lead them to the promised land? He is USED to losing. heh.

On another note... it feels good to be the team to put an end to Plummer's career.

Oxford
11-25-2006, 08:58 PM
At this point, if the Denver offense is simplified (aka Jaked), then Cutler ought to be able to run it as well as Plummer. I would expect to see a fired up Denver team at their next game.

Crush
11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Cutler will fail, I just have that feeling. The Donks are looking for the Second Coming of Elway, but they'll get the Second Coming of Griese.

FAX
11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Cutler will fail, I just have that feeling. The Donks are looking for the Second Coming of Elway, but they'll get the Second Coming of Griese.

Exactly, Mr. Crush. Exactly.

FAX

doomy3
11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
If it doesn't work they can always throw Plummer back in. If it does they can trade Plummer away in the offseason & there are teams with a lot worse QBs than Jake

Who is worse than Jake?

boogblaster
11-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Rat-face just sealed their fate with this move..Rookie QB, no running game, Defence that isn't playing par, no WRs for the Rook to throw too..looks like hes schooling for next year too me....

BigRock
11-25-2006, 09:22 PM
The funniest thing I heard, which I think was from Deion Sanders of all people, was that the Broncos think Cutler is ready because he looks good at practice. And Deion was like "Practice?! They do know that nobody's blitzing him at practice, right? They know that nobody's knocking him on his behind at practice, right?"

Preseason + practice = SUPER BOWL, BABY

LMAO LMAO

Crush
11-25-2006, 09:26 PM
The funniest thing I heard, which I think was from Deion Sanders of all people, was that the Broncos think Cutler is ready because he looks good at practice. And Deion was like "Practice?! They do know that nobody's blitzing him at practice, right? They know that nobody's knocking him on his behind at practice, right?"

Preseason + practice = SUPER BOWL, BABY

LMAO LMAO

But he looks so good.

GROB
11-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Lets be real here, run game is either great on nonexistent(need good back instead of backup RB's), Alexander isn't diaper boy or LT with a broken foot, Gore is good along with Johnson agree there, but WR's are better than the chefs. It's not a bad spot in Denver for the Kid other than the bar is set too high but he could be in AZ or Tenn. I know you guys want him to fail so bad because the thought of facing Rivers and another good QB 4 times a year. To say how he will do nobody knows, but I have reviewed alot of his tape and he could throw 5tds or 5 picks so we shall see.

FAX
11-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Damn you. Mr. GROB. Damn you and your wacky use of future perfect progressive tense.

FAX

boogblaster
11-25-2006, 09:54 PM
GROB is in a different world..Dungver has to employ some WRs before Cutler can shine...

jaxchiefsclub
11-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Probably the same way he will fix all the blocking assignments, so Denver can rush for more than 38 yards.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Putting Cutler in this late in the season will either cause his career to take off, or go down the toilet. He's being put a lot of pressure onto by being put into this situation. The Donkeys are still in the playoff race, and it's up to Cutler to keep them there? A lot of pressure for a rookie. The Broncos will know what they got in their QB sooner rather than later, IMO, by this decision possibly.

Halfcan
11-25-2006, 10:19 PM
The Chiefs fu*k up another team........

Season over, ya Donkey Shitbags

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

Pretty dumb move starting a rookie.

GROB
11-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Pretty dumb move starting a rookie.
Why? Bummer isn't getting it done he is making rookie mistakes so if you invest a high pick in a QB who look great in preseason and practice see what he has got when it counts. The confidence issue is mute these guys are PRO's and need to be treated like a football player not a ice skater. If a guy can't cut it you will find out. One thing Cutler isn't short on is confidence.

KChiefs1
11-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Would Cutler have gotten them more than the 38 yards rushing they had on Thanksgiving?

cdcox
11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
So when the heat of the playoff race causes him to melt down like a popsicle in July, where does that leave your QB of the future? Sucking his thumb in doubt all during the off season, that's where.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Would Cutler have gotten them more than the 38 yards rushing they had on Thanksgiving?

They might of had more than 14 attempts.

FAX
11-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Why? Bummer isn't getting it done he is making rookie mistakes so if you invest a high pick in a QB who look great in preseason and practice see what he has got when it counts. The confidence issue is mute these guys are PRO's and need to be treated like a football player not a ice skater. If a guy can't cut it you will find out. One thing Cutler isn't short on is confidence.

How do you know what Cutler is short on? Are you channeling a dead midget or something? And, if the guy is mute, how is he going to call signals?

Geez.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 11:02 PM

Would Cutler not given up 220+ rushing yards?

Donks fans crucifying Plummer when it's their beloved defense that should be taking the fall.....

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:06 PM
How do you know what Cutler is short on? Are you channeling a dead midget or something? And, if the guy is mute, how is he going to call signals?

Geez.

FAX

I have seen him in person, one thing I look at when watching a Rookie QB is happy feet in pocket, he stands in there well, he will have some picks as all big arm QBs do early in career but this guy will be a good QB. Watch his tapes in the preseason against Tenn and AZ #1 D's. AZ he made a great throw against body 60 yards on a rope rolling out for a td, he threw bad pick six but immediately drove the length of the field 2 min O for a TD. I realize your guys worries as there is a lot of potential and ability. I'm excited to see against Seattle what he looks like but I will give him 4 games to see where he is at.

cdcox
11-25-2006, 11:09 PM
... but I will give him 4 games to see where he is at.

You are a patient one, aren't you?

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Would Cutler not given up 220+ rushing yards?

Donks fans crucifying Plummer when it's their beloved defense that should be taking the fall.....
Where have you seen me blame only QB for the loss? Although Denver had ball 6 minutes left down by 6 with a chance to win and 3 and out. That was end of Plummer. The problems are deeper than QB, DL, S, RB also along with special teams coach to teach coverage skills and tell kicker to squib instead of kicking off with 15 sec before half.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:10 PM
You are a patient one, aren't you?
No I'll give him couple years but it takes 4 games to judge initially where a rookie is. First couple games rooks tend to play better as the D has no film on them yet.

morphius
11-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Where have you seen me blame only QB for the loss? Although Denver had ball 6 minutes left down by 6 with a chance to win and 3 and out. That was end of Plummer. The problems are deeper than QB, DL, S, RB also along with special teams coach to teach coverage skills and tell kicker to squib instead of kicking off with 15 sec before half.
You mean with a chance to take the lead, but could have still lost on a FG. I doubt you would have been able to run out the clock since you would have had to pass down the field, as 38 yards says that you were pretty much unable to run the ball.

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 11:18 PM

Hey troll.....

I didn't see your name in my post anywhere. Do you represent all Donks fans?

Go spend about 30 seconds on the Mange and tell me what you see.....

The overwhelming majority have been calling for Jake's head all season.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:21 PM
You mean with a chance to take the lead, but could have still lost on a FG. I doubt you would have been able to run out the clock since you would have had to pass down the field, as 38 yards says that you were pretty much unable to run the ball.
Where did I say they would of stop them if they did score? Face it Denver played flat and nervous and KC ran the ball down their throat and should of blown them out except couldn't put ball in endzone. Herm Edwards has the ability to keep the games close when either HIS team should be the one's blowing the other out or when his team isn't playing their best ball and should be getting blown out.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey troll.....

What is a troll? Anyone not a chiefs fan? I am just talking some football not pumping my chest talking trash even though that's what you guys want to turn it in to.

morphius
11-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Where did I say they would of stop them if they did score? Face it Denver played flat and nervous and KC ran the ball down their throat and should of blown them out except couldn't put ball in endzone. Herm Edwards has the ability to keep the games close when either HIS team should be the one's blowing the other out or when his team isn't playing their best ball and should be getting blown out.

You said they had a chance to win with 6 minutes and the ball left...

Although Denver had ball 6 minutes left down by 6 with a chance to win and 3 and out

I just wasn't gonna let that slide by, because we could say that after the Chiefs first FG we had a chance to win the game if only we held Denver to 0 points for the rest of the game. Which is just silly.

morphius
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
What is a troll? Anyone not a chiefs fan? I am just talking some football not pumping my chest talking trash even though that's what you guys want to turn it in to.
Everyone gets ribbing when the come on, and you know that goes double for fans of rival teams. That being said we have some great posters from other teams on this site.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
You said they had a chance to win with 6 minutes and the ball left...

I just wasn't gonna let that slide by, because we could say that after the Chiefs first FG we had a chance to win the game if only we held Denver to 0 points for the rest of the game. Which is just silly.

Meant take the lead, and D would of had a chance to stop KC.

morphius
11-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Meant take the lead, and D would of had a chance to stop KC.
Well, first Plummer would have had to throw an INT that either a Chiefs player dropped or got reversed with a penalty. :D

It seems odd, but 99% of the time that happens with the Chiefs the drive ends with the other team getting a TD. It is truly scary and disturbing.

OnTheWarpath15
11-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Everyone gets ribbing when the come on, and you know that goes double for fans of rival teams. That being said we have some great posters from other teams on this site.

Exactly.....

I wonder how many of our guys have been banned over at the Mange in the past couple of days for doing exactly what GRob is doing.....

And there's an idiot over there who say our mods have an itchy trigger finger.....

Please.

Welcome aboard, GRob.

cdcox
11-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, first Plummer would have had to throw an INT that either a Chiefs player dropped or got reversed with a penalty. :D

It seems odd, but 99% of the time that happens with the Chiefs the drive ends with the other team getting a TD. It is truly scary and disturbing.

I've noticed the same thing and with other teams, too. I don't think its too big of a mystery. You only get so many chances to end a drive. You start throwing them away and pretty soon the other team has scored a TD.

GROB
11-25-2006, 11:43 PM

I don't like the penalty on Walls or the penalty that was called on Ekuban for roughing passer. Let the teams play but with that being said they both were penalties according to the rules. I think roughing the passer should be like a face mask 5 yard or 15 for major. How can a hand touching the helmet be a penalty and the Green hit in week 1 not be.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Either way, this is Plummer's last year as a Bronco. Another failed QB experiment by Shanahan. Hopefully Cutler is one as well.

dirk digler
11-26-2006, 12:22 AM
I think this is a bad move on Shanahan's part. This pretty much sends the signal to the team that you are giving up on the season which is pretty stupid sitting at 7-4.
Maybe Shanahan is hoping he can get the same magic that Cowher had when Roethlisberger came in during his rookie season and went 15-1. The only difference is that was due to an injury not a benching during the middle of the season.

GoodDaySir!
11-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Either way, this is Plummer's last year as a Bronco. Another failed QB experiment by Shanahan. Hopefully Cutler is one as well.

We made an AFC Championship game with Plummer under center, and are on our way to a 4th consecutive 10+ win season. I am not a Plummer apologist, but failed? Give me a break.

cdcox
11-26-2006, 12:34 AM
We made an AFC Championship game with Plummer under center, and are on our way to a 4th consecutive 10+ win season. I am not a Plummer apologist, but failed? Give me a break.

I got news for you, GDS!, there are 31 losers in this league every year. If Shanny knew with 100% certainty that Plummer would get him to the AFC championship but no further, he would never have brought him into Denver in the first place.

There's a reason Marino's face gets red everytime Boomer mentions that he never won a SB.

Mecca
11-26-2006, 12:36 AM
I got news for you, GDS!, there are 31 losers in this league every year. If Shanny knew with 100% certainty that Plummer would get him to the AFC championship but no further, he would never have brought him into Denver in the first place.

There's a reason Marino's face gets red everytime Boomer mentions that he never won a SB.

Last year.....I thought Marino was gonna jump across the desk and kick Boomers ass. Boomer never won shit either and in the words of Marino "atleast I have some records".

cdcox
11-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Last year.....I thought Marino was gonna jump across the desk and kick Boomers ass. Boomer never won shit either and in the words of Marino "atleast I have some records".

LMAO That's a snappy comeback there.

Mecca
11-26-2006, 12:41 AM
LMAO That's a snappy comeback there.

Well who the **** is Boomer Esiason to talk shit on Marino? It isn't like he was great or won shit.

cdcox
11-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Well who the **** is Boomer Esiason to talk shit on Marino? It isn't like he was great or won shit.

If he can get under Marino's skin, that is all the street cred he needs.

Mecca
11-26-2006, 12:45 AM
If he can get under Marino's skin, that is all the street cred he needs.

Should Marino make fun of him for having a kid with a disability I'm sure that would get under Boomers skin.

cdcox
11-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Should Marino make fun of him for having a kid with a disability I'm sure that would get under Boomers skin.

Yeah, there is no difference between not winning a SB and a kid with disability.

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2006, 12:59 AM

Okay, TJ. LMAO

blueballs
11-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Colts fans just cried alittle
hell 3/4 of the AFC cried a little

11-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Boomer Esiason is a douchebag attention whore..his ''charitable' thing going on with his son..who by the way is quite healthy...had an office on the 103rd floor of the world trade center..he is always over the top..

RINGLEADER
11-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I think this move in all liklihood ends the Broncos playoff hopes. What the Denver fans (and apparently Shanahan) aren't factoring in are the mistakes that any rookie - no matter how talented - is going to face. I'll be surprised if Denver wins more than two games the rest of the way.

GROB
11-26-2006, 01:32 AM
I think this move in all liklihood ends the Broncos playoff hopes. What the Denver fans (and apparently Shanahan) aren't factoring in are the mistakes that any rookie - no matter how talented - is going to face. I'll be surprised if Denver wins more than two games the rest of the way.
That's what we all say and then you look how Jake has played and he is a 10 year vet playing like a rookie. Who knows how this will turn out or if it even happens only rumors so far. More likely Denver barely makes playoffs or just misses, but there is a slim chance life is injected into the O and they start playing well.

GoodDaySir!
11-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Okay, TJ. LMAO

Damn you are obsessed with that guy. :doh!:

GROB
11-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Daddy Longlegs
As some of you know I'm a Chiefs fan. I live in Nashville and watched pretty much every home snap that Cutler ever took. Let me tell you, nothing made me angrier than seeing the Broncos pick him up since he's going to be playing my team's division rival. Either way, you guys are on your way up once he gets settled in. And, I don't think it will take him long to get settled in. First, he played for Vandy. Vandy is my favorite team but I'm man enough to admit that if you have success there, you are being primed early for the pros. You wouldn't believe how many lasers Cutler threw on-target to receivers with defensive players right in his face. As far as handling pressure goes, Jay has icewater in his vains. It takes a whole hell of a lot to get under his skin. Even when they would be trailing by tons of points, Cutler would stay calm and get them back into the game. He has the exact mindset and toughness that Favre/Elway had in their prime. Expect John Madden to develop a huge mancrush on Cutler over the next few years. I have very little doubt that he's going to be a GREAT NFL Qb. Enjoy it guys, you made a great draft pick......dammit!
Taken from the mane.

GoodDaySir!
11-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Daddy Longlegs
As some of you know I'm a Chiefs fan. I live in Nashville and watched pretty much every home snap that Cutler ever took. Let me tell you, nothing made me angrier than seeing the Broncos pick him up since he's going to be playing my team's division rival. Either way, you guys are on your way up once he gets settled in. And, I don't think it will take him long to get settled in. First, he played for Vandy. Vandy is my favorite team but I'm man enough to admit that if you have success there, you are being primed early for the pros. You wouldn't believe how many lasers Cutler threw on-target to receivers with defensive players right in his face. As far as handling pressure goes, Jay has icewater in his vains. It takes a whole hell of a lot to get under his skin. Even when they would be trailing by tons of points, Cutler would stay calm and get them back into the game. He has the exact mindset and toughness that Favre/Elway had in their prime. Expect John Madden to develop a huge mancrush on Cutler over the next few years. I have very little doubt that he's going to be a GREAT NFL Qb. Enjoy it guys, you made a great draft pick......dammit!
Taken from the mane.

FAX told me that he also watched Cutler a lot and didn't think he was going to be any good.

Then again FAX writes a lot of limericks, so he cannot be trusted. AT ALL.

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Damn you are obsessed with that guy. :doh!:

Hardly. I just wondered what had happened to him. He's too obsessed with us to stray too far for too long.... :D

the Talking Can
11-26-2006, 02:27 AM
One of the columnist for the Denver Post said one of the dumbest things I've heard all year. I'm paraphrasing but he said something like "Anybody who's seen Cutler throw the ball in preseason could tell that he's poised to take the Donks to the super bowl."

that was Taco john

he said plummber would take them too the superbowl too...even though he can only throw 1 pass - the bootleg bomb...he also said it was smart to trade Portis becaue any RB can run in Denvers system....etc...

Plummber is one of the worst QBs in NFL history...he can't stand in the pocket and read a defense, he can't run a real passing offense...he can only roll out and read half a field- short to the TE or long to the WR?

that's it.....that's how dumb he really is...his only memory will be guiding Denver to the 2 worst loses in NFL playoff history....signing him was a disaster and everyone but Shanahan knew it....

the Talking Can
11-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Seattle will beat the Donks...their season is over...

KChiefs1
11-26-2006, 10:12 AM

one of the few reasons I'll watch that show...I love to see the banter between Boomer & Marino. If they could lose Sharpe they'd have a great show.

lostknight
11-27-2006, 12:38 AM
The fact that so many chiefs fans dislike this probably means that it's a good move for the Broncos. Some of the analysis here seems to be rather short sighted. A big problem is that Jake currently has a QB passer rating along the same lines of the rookie QBs. Far worse is that he has a horrific record on sustaining drives. When "the rat" as you affectionally call him cut Van Pelt after the pre-season he pointed out that QB's in this league are judged on third down and long conversions.

Denver's D is worn out because the O can't stay on the field. The running game is getting crushed because Jake is no threat down the field. Teams know that the key to Denver is to make Plummer beat them. When that's the gameplan, Denver has lost time and time again.

The reality is that the Broncos can't survive the brutal schedule they have left with Jake. Cutler is today the QB of the future. Plummer has completly folded this season, so Cutler's worse case scenario is no worse then where the Broncos currently are. Jake can't take them to the Super bowl this year, so why not try for the royal flush. The most likely case is that Jay get's a workout, and makes rookie mistakes, and they miss the playoffs. The worst case is Jay collapses, and the Broncos look for a new QB post season.

cdcox
11-27-2006, 12:51 AM
The fact that so many chiefs fans dislike this probably means that it's a good move for the Broncos. Some of the analysis here seems to be rather short sighted. A big problem is that Jake currently has a QB passer rating along the same lines of the rookie QBs. Far worse is that he has a horrific record on sustaining drives. When "the rat" as you affectionally call him cut Van Pelt after the pre-season he pointed out that QB's in this league are judged on third down and long conversions.

Denver's D is worn out because the O can't stay on the field. The running game is getting crushed because Jake is no threat down the field. Teams know that the key to Denver is to make Plummer beat them. When that's the gameplan, Denver has lost time and time again.

The reality is that the Broncos can't survive the brutal schedule they have left with Jake. Cutler is today the QB of the future. Plummer has completly folded this season, so Cutler's worse case scenario is no worse then where the Broncos currently are. Jake can't take them to the Super bowl this year, so why not try for the royal flush. The most likely case is that Jay get's a workout, and makes rookie mistakes, and they miss the playoffs. The worst case is Jay collapses, and the Broncos look for a new QB post season.

You can screw a young QB for his whole career by putting him in a situation that he is not ready to handle. How many losses can your team afford? Jake II is under tremendous pressure. If the Donks don't make the playoffs, Utler is going to be wondering if he has what it takes all off season.

cookster50
11-27-2006, 05:14 AM
On another note... it feels good to be the team to put an end to Plummer's career.

I respectfully disagree. I want Plummer to be the Donks QB forever!!

OldTownChief
11-27-2006, 06:51 AM
I guess this will have to be put to rest. I'm sure TJ will provide us with a new one after Cutlers first win.

the Talking Can
11-27-2006, 06:54 AM
I guess this will have to be put to rest. I'm sure TJ will provide us with a new one after Cutlers first win.

awesome

King_Chief_Fan
11-27-2006, 08:46 AM
I think this is a bad move on Shanahan's part. This pretty much sends the signal to the team that you are giving up on the season which is pretty stupid sitting at 7-4.
Maybe Shanahan is hoping he can get the same magic that Cowher had when Roethlisberger came in during his rookie season and went 15-1. The only difference is that was due to an injury not a benching during the middle of the season.

Shanahan is not stupid. I think his risk is calculated. I think the players are tired of Plummers performance and welcomes a new QB. They can't get there with Plummer so giving Cutler the chance does not present that much risk to them. We will be cussing the name Cutler for some time to come and it will start Dec. 5. I see Denver winning 3 more games this year. I would love to be wrong about this.

siberian khatru
11-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Shanahan is not stupid. I think his risk is calculated. I think the players are tired of Plummers performance and welcomes a new QB. They can't get there with Plummer so giving Cutler the chance does not present that much risk to them. We will be cussing the name Cutler for some time to come and it will start Dec. 5. I see Denver winning 3 more games this year. I would love to be wrong about this.

Pretty much how I see it, too.

He sees the status quo as unsustainable. Might as well roll the dice and play the QB whose skills are better suited to where they're at offensively right now. I'm sure Rat believes he can manage Cutler's inexperience better than Jake's lack of ability.

Bwana
11-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Exactly, Seattles D has to be licking their chops. :D

Bwana
11-27-2006, 09:12 AM

LMAO

Rep

Archie F. Swin
11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
ESPN just confirmed Cutler to start