PDA

View Full Version : Larry Can't Do Everything

Hammock Parties
11-26-2006, 03:44 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/594480.html

It’s been a long week for Larry Johnson. The Chiefs ran 119 plays from scrimmage against the Raiders and Broncos. Johnson touched the ball on 55 percent of those plays.

Is that too much? The next closest player, other than quarterback Trent Green and center Casey Wiegmann, was Johnson’s backup, Michael Bennett, with nine touches.

You might have heard of the Randy Ratio. In Kansas City, the Chiefs have their own version: the LJ ratio.

Johnson has touched the ball on nearly 48 percent of the Chiefs’ offensive plays this year. That’s far and away the heaviest burden shouldered by any offensive player in the NFL this season.

For comparison’s sake, let's consider the percentages among other top running backs. San Diego’s LaDanian Tomlinson stands at about 41 percent, as does San Francisco’s Frank Gore and Minnesota’s Chester Taylor. New York’s Tiki Barber gets the ball about 38 percent of the time.

Is there really a need for the discrepancy between Johnson and these other running backs? With Bennett available on the sideline, absolutely not. The Chiefs are overworking Johnson.

After 34 carries against the Broncos, Johnson is now on pace for 410. That would tie the NFL single-season record set by Jamal Anderson in 1998.

Anderson was fantastic that year, running for 1,846 yards and leading the Falcons to the Super Bowl.

But he was never the same player after that record-setting season. He cranked out one final 1,000-yard effort in 2000, but blew out his knee in two of his last three seasons. He barely totaled 350 carries combined after 1998.

And it’s not just Anderson. The same thing happened to Eddie George after 403 carries for the Titans in 2000. Sure, George never had a serious injury, but his yards per carry permanently dipped below 3.5 after 2000.

Tampa Bay’s James Wilder had a fine 1985 season after carrying the ball 407 times in 1984. But after that season, it was all downhill. He never again sniffed 1,000 yards and missed time due to injury in every year until retirement.

Eric Dickerson is arguably the only exception among 400-carry running backs, but there’s more to this discussion than merely the 400 number.

Earl Campbell’s highest carry total in one season was 373. He burned bright, but extremely fast.

The same thing has happened to a number of running backs: Barry Foster, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis…take your pick.

There’s no need for the Chiefs to give Johnson this workload. People want to compare him to Jim Brown, but Brown was never forced to shoulder such an enormous amount of Cleveland’s offense.

Brown never even came close to 400 carries in a season. His largest total was 305 in 1961, and even though he played shorter seasons, if you extrapolate his largest per-game average (from 1959), it still only works out to 386 carries.

Brown, by the way, had his own capable backup running back who kept him fresh. Bobby Mitchell carried the ball at least 100 times in three of Brown’s nine seasons. Over the rest of Brown’s career, Cleveland had a stable of backups who replaced Mitchell.

Just because Johnson is another power back doesn’t mean he has to burn out like one. Jerome Bettis lasted 13 years in the NFL and never once carried the ball 400 times. The Steelers always had someone to share the load.

The Chiefs have that with Bennett. They need to start using him. There is no good reason to deny Bennett the seven percent of the touches that separate Johnson from Tomlinson, Gore and Taylor.

After the Denver game, head coach Herm Edwards said that Johnson was actually behind schedule in carries. That’s just insane. The Chiefs will be a better offense with a fresh Johnson late in the year, and hopefully, the playoffs.

kcfanXIII
11-26-2006, 04:19 AM
have to aggree, i'm def worried about his work load. its bad enough we only throw it 15 times a game but to hand it to one guy 55% of the time is insane, especially with a back like bennet as a spell back.

Sure-Oz
11-26-2006, 04:35 AM
I still think bennet should see more carries. I would prefer LJ to play more than 5 years.

Bob Dole
11-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Bennett gets a yeast infection if he carries the ball more than 10 times in one game.

milkman
11-26-2006, 07:36 AM
While I agree with the premise of the article, citing Eddie George as an example is ridiculous.

That guy might well be the single most overrated RB in NFL history.

Prior to his 403 carry season he had surpassed 4 yards per carry twice (4.1 ypc both times), and had two seasons below 4 yards (3.9 and 3.7)

He averaged 3.7 in his 403 carry season.

He was just a big back that got a lot of carries and lacked any kind of elusiveness.

boogblaster
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
If LJ was just a "run up the middle into the lion's mouth power-back" I'd be worried..he does wait for blocking to develop..plus he ends a run by hitting the defender..he's young let him roll.....

KChiefs1
11-26-2006, 10:21 AM
LJ pulls himself out of the game whenever he is tired...if the Chiefs were forcing him to carry the rock all the time I'd be worried but LJ comes out when he wants to so I'm not.

Bowser
11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Didn't Herm have a quote like "Larry's not going to play 10 years, anyway"?

Hammock Parties
11-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Didn't Herm have a quote like "Larry's not going to play 10 years, anyway"?

Yes...that was also worrisome.

TinyEvel
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree with GoLimp. I'd like to see more Bennett carries (he's not doing too shabby) and play-action, etc.

did you read the Herm Q&A from 11/24? It's very redundant, drum-banging about run the ball and clock management. I mean, I'm happy we're winning and all, but it seems like the guy's on a political agenda or something, the way he just keeps constantly repeating the same thing. WE GET IT, ALREADY!

Deberg_1990
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
While I agree with the premise of the article, citing Eddie George as an example is ridiculous.

That guy might well be the single most overrated RB in NFL history.

Prior to his 403 carry season he had surpassed 4 yards per carry twice (4.1 ypc both times), and had two seasons below 4 yards (3.9 and 3.7)

He averaged 3.7 in his 403 carry season.

He was just a big back that got a lot of carries and lacked any kind of elusiveness.

Agreed. The longest run he ever had was like 40 yards and came in his rookie year.

Easy 6
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM

I really didnt like the tenor of that comment either.

But as far as LJ wearing down, i think he can go 25-30 every game atleast for this year. Hopefully the coaches are monitoring it much more carefully than it sometimes sounds.

Doing it next year could very well cause problems though, but then i look at the tremendous workload put on Tomlinson, especially early on and he's still truckin'.

I'm sure that as we reach for the playoffs, they will spell Larry more frequently.

DaFace
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM

I took that quote to mean that Larry's getting a late start in the NFL anyway, so we weren't as worried about him getting run down quicker than usual. How many RB's are still going at age 37?

Thig Lyfe
11-26-2006, 11:36 AM
The Randy Ratio is currently 0%.

Hammock Parties
11-26-2006, 11:39 AM

LMAO

Crush
11-26-2006, 11:40 AM

Zing

kcxiv
11-26-2006, 11:42 AM
DUdes 27, played 1 year of College ball where he started, Hasnt even started a nfl season from start to finish. He will be ok. He still doesnt have alot of miles on his body. RUn him into the ground while you have him.

Chiefsfan12
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I have to agree i'm am a littled worried. But its LJ. He wouldnt be happy if herm didn't give the ball as much. But we still need to get in more pass plays tht work and give bennet the ball some more. And like kcxiv said he hasnt even played a whole season.

bringbackmarty
11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Bennett gets a yeast infection if he carries the ball more than 10 times in one game.
I thought it was a latex allergy...