PDA

View Full Version : Has flu paranoia hit your area?

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
I have had 3 people hand me flyers this weekend on flu shots. :cuss: I'm like "I don't get sick" then they try to talk me into getting them anyway. Then I get all loud about not wanting to put that crap inside of me and they get all mad. LMAO

StcChief
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I get one every year. Cheap contractor insurance, no pay for sick days.

slappyhappy
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm Allergic to eggs so I can't get one.

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I get one every year. Cheap contractor insurance, no pay for sick days.

I have had the flu once since high school. Putting all that crap in your system every year can't be good for you.

luv
11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I usually get one every year. Company paid for them this year. My boss just got over being sick, as well as another assistant. My big thing that my sinuses go haywire during extreme weather changes. Drives me nuts. That's not a flu thing, though. I got the 24-hour bug last year. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

4th and Long
11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Contrary to your assumption, this year is not marked by paranoia. It is, instead, marked by an influx of flu vaccine. Over the past several year, the flu vaccine has been hard to obtain, mostly due to FDA standards. Manufacturers had to throw away their stock because it was contaminated. This year, there is a flu vaccine surplus. Many facilities, doctors offices, hospital, and even health departments, ordered way more than they needed, expecting to have their shipment cut in half as in years past.

PS - Don't brag about "not getting sick." Just ask SKIP.

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Contrary to your assumption, this year is not marked by paranoia. It is, instead, marked by an influx of flu vaccine. Over the past several year, the flu vaccine has been hard to obtain, mostly due to FDA standards. Manufacturers had to throw away their stock because it was contaminated. This year, there is a flu vaccine surplus. Many facilities, doctors offices, hospital, and even health departments, ordered way more than they needed, expecting to have their shipment cut in half as in years past.

PS - Don't brag about "not getting sick." Just ask SKIP.

What happened to Skip?

4th and Long
11-27-2006, 02:55 PM
What happened to Skip?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=152399

Chiefnj
11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Flu vaccine = $$$$

BD just for you:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-813

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=152399

That sucks.

Iowanian
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I know we disagree on this topic.....Flu vaccines wouldn't be necessary if so many Elderly, immune deficient and young didn't die or get very ill due to influenza.

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Flu vaccine = $$$$

BD just for you:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-813

Great just what we need. :shake:

4th and Long
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I know we disagree on this topic.....Flu vaccines wouldn't be necessary if so many Elderly, immune deficient and young didn't die or get very ill due to influenza.
Yep.

Influenza-related deaths can result from pneumonia and from exacerbations of cardiopulmonary conditions and other chronic diseases. Deaths of adults aged >65 years account for >90% of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza. In one study, approximately 19,000 influenza-associated pulmonary and circulatory deaths per influenza season occurred during 1976--1990, compared with approximately 36,000 deaths during 1990--1999. Estimated rates of influenza-associated pulmonary and circulatory deaths/100,000 persons were 0.4--0.6 among persons aged 0--49 years, 7.5 among persons aged 50--64 years, and 98.3 among persons aged >65 years. In the United States, the number of influenza-associated deaths has increased in part because the number of older persons is increasing, particularly persons aged >85 years. In addition, influenza seasons in which influenza A (H3N2) viruses predominate are associated with higher mortality; influenza A (H3N2) viruses predominated in 90% of influenza seasons during 1990--1999, compared with 57% of influenza seasons during 1976--1990.

Deaths from influenza are uncommon among children both with and without high-risk conditions, but do occur. A study that modeled influenza-related deaths estimated that an average of 92 deaths (0.4 deaths per 100,000) occurred among children aged <5 years annually during the 1990s, compared with 32,651 deaths (98.3 per 100,000) among adults aged >65 years. Of 153 laboratory-confirmed influenza-related pediatric deaths reported from 40 states during the 2003--04 influenza season, 96 (63%) were among children aged <5 years. Sixty-four (70%) of the 92 children aged 2--17 years with influenza who died had no underlying medical condition previously associated with an increased risk for influenza-related complications.

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Yep.

Influenza-related deaths can result from pneumonia and from exacerbations of cardiopulmonary conditions and other chronic diseases. Deaths of adults aged >65 years account for >90% of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza. In one study, approximately 19,000 influenza-associated pulmonary and circulatory deaths per influenza season occurred during 1976--1990, compared with approximately 36,000 deaths during 1990--1999. Estimated rates of influenza-associated pulmonary and circulatory deaths/100,000 persons were 0.4--0.6 among persons aged 0--49 years, 7.5 among persons aged 50--64 years, and 98.3 among persons aged >65 years. In the United States, the number of influenza-associated deaths has increased in part because the number of older persons is increasing, particularly persons aged >85 years. In addition, influenza seasons in which influenza A (H3N2) viruses predominate are associated with higher mortality; influenza A (H3N2) viruses predominated in 90% of influenza seasons during 1990--1999, compared with 57% of influenza seasons during 1976--1990.

Deaths from influenza are uncommon among children both with and without high-risk conditions, but do occur. A study that modeled influenza-related deaths estimated that an average of 92 deaths (0.4 deaths per 100,000) occurred among children aged <5 years annually during the 1990s, compared with 32,651 deaths (98.3 per 100,000) among adults aged >65 years. Of 153 laboratory-confirmed influenza-related pediatric deaths reported from 40 states during the 2003--04 influenza season, 96 (63%) were among children aged <5 years. Sixty-four (70%) of the 92 children aged 2--17 years with influenza who died had no underlying medical condition previously associated with an increased risk for influenza-related complications.

I know the one time I did get it, it was pretty bad. Hopefully I never get it again.

Saulbadguy
11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't recall ever having the flu. My excuse for not getting one in years past is to save them for people who actually need them. This year I don't really have a valid excuse, but i'm still not getting one.

Eleazar
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten a flu shot. I can't remember the last time I had the flu either. It's probably been 10 years or so.

If I were 70 years old or had a 1 year old child I might look into them.

Saulbadguy
11-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten a flu shot. I can't remember the last time I had the flu either. It's probably been 10 years or so.

Clever marketing and "E.R." has turned this nation in to hypochondriacs.

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 03:16 PM

It's only the people that get the shots that get sick. LMAO

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
My wife and I both work in large schools (2100 students, and 1100 students), our two oldest kids attend a pretty large elementary (420), and our two youngest each attend a day care AND a seperate preschool three days a week. So, we are exposed to five large and active germ factories. Compound that with the fact that living in SD means lots of time "inside," and not much opportunity for houses and offices to "air out" during the heart of winter....and flu can be a real problem.

Lengthy bouts with the flu are very likely if we don't get shots. Personally, I'd rather work than battle the flu, so we all get shots. If I was a businessman working in the Valley.....I probably wouldn't though. :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
11-27-2006, 03:22 PM

I can tell you THAT it is not true. The shots are MOST beneficial to the very young, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems...but the much shorter battles people experience even with the shot, save them days or even weeks of illness which can be pretty nasty.

I do think your work environment and climate can have a big impact though.

Chiefnj
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
In 2001, just 257 people died from the flu.

In 2001 3,454 Americans died from malnutrition.

Boy, if the corporations could make a malnutrition vaccination they'd see a real big profit. Where are the media scare tactics for malnutrition?

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 03:55 PM
I can tell you THAT it is not true. The shots are MOST beneficial to the very young, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems...but the much shorter battles people experience even with the shot, save them days or even weeks of illness which can be pretty nasty.

I do think your work environment and climate can have a big impact though.

I was in health clubs most of my life and it's really easy to catch something there. Rolling around on the mats in Jiu-Jitsu isn't exactly the safest enviroment as well. I did have 2 colds last year but before those you would have to go back 5 years since I had one of those.

Calcountry
11-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Clever marketing and "E.R." has turned this nation in to hypochondriacs.All "E.R." did, was make people like Skip certain, that if they went to the doctor, they would get killed.

Eleazar
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM

In 2001 3,454 Americans died from malnutrition.

Boy, if the corporations could make a malnutrition vaccination they'd see a real big profit. Where are the media scare tactics for malnutrition?

I don't see corporations pimping the flu story, it's the government and the media.

Just another wonderful benefit brought to you by cradle to grave service from Uncle Sam.

cdcox
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
My keyboard at work has all kinds of food crumbs on it, not to mention dried on food on the table it sits on. Plus, I never wash my coffee cup, or wipe down the interior of my truck. Therefore, I'm constantly exposed to all kinds of powerful bacteria and virus' that keeps my immune system on its toes. I very seldom get sick. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. However, I do wash my hands at least half a dozen times a day, to avoid exposing myself to unfamiliar bugs.

Hydrae
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I got a shot this year as the last several years. Hey, the company pays for it, why not? :shrug:

Donger
11-27-2006, 04:46 PM

From where did you get that figure?

BIG_DADDY
11-27-2006, 04:50 PM

Whoever did the names this time really outdid themself. I'm not sure whether I like the Dongless of Hummus Jenkins better. LMAO I need to know who to give rep to on this one.

Floridafan
11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Flu Shot and Alzheimer’s

Since flu shot season is approaching I thought it appropriate to remind everyone that according to Hugh Fudenberg, MD, the world's leading immunogeneticist and 13th most quoted biologist of our time (over 850 papers in peer reviewed journals), if an individual has had five consecutive flu shots their chance of getting Alzheimer's disease is ten times higher than if they had one, two or no shots. (1)
Dr. Fudenberg claims this is due to the mercury and aluminum in flu shots (and many childhood and RhoGam shots); these toxins buildup in the brain causing cognitive dysfunction. Is that why Alzheimer's is expected to quadruple? (2)
By the way, to disprove the Alzheimer’s/flu shots connection some Toronto MDs went to nursing homes and asked people with Alzheimer’s if they remember getting a flu shot. Most said they didn’t remember getting one. Not surprising since Alzheimer’s victims may not remember the names of their spouse. Anyway, based on this “research” they concluded the flu shots were safe but the disclaimer at the bottom of the abstract negated its value: “Because of the self-reported nature of the risk factor questionnaire we cannot exclude the possibility of recall bias.” (3) Can you believe that the media reported this as “proof” the flu shot was safe? They didn’t mention the disclaimer. Maybe they all had too many flu shots?
(1) Dr. Fudenberg at the NVIC International Vaccine Conference, Arlington, VA September, 1997. Quoted with permission.
(2) John's Hopkins Newsletter Nov 1998.
(3) Verreault R, Laurin D, Lindsay, J, et al Past exposure to vaccines and subsequent risk of Alzheimer’s disease. CMAJ 2001;165(11):1495-8

Note: Dr. Fudenberg's web site is: http://members.aol.com/nitrf I recommend you visit it. Fascinating stuff there.

Enough said.

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Flu Shot and Alzheimer’s

Since flu shot season is approaching I thought it appropriate to remind everyone that according to Hugh Fudenberg, MD, the world's leading immunogeneticist and 13th most quoted biologist of our time (over 850 papers in peer reviewed journals), if an individual has had five consecutive flu shots their chance of getting Alzheimer's disease is ten times higher than if they had one, two or no shots. (1)
Dr. Fudenberg claims this is due to the mercury and aluminum in flu shots (and many childhood and RhoGam shots); these toxins buildup in the brain causing cognitive dysfunction. Is that why Alzheimer's is expected to quadruple? (2)
By the way, to disprove the Alzheimer’s/flu shots connection some Toronto MDs went to nursing homes and asked people with Alzheimer’s if they remember getting a flu shot. Most said they didn’t remember getting one. Not surprising since Alzheimer’s victims may not remember the names of their spouse. Anyway, based on this “research” they concluded the flu shots were safe but the disclaimer at the bottom of the abstract negated its value: “Because of the self-reported nature of the risk factor questionnaire we cannot exclude the possibility of recall bias.” (3) Can you believe that the media reported this as “proof” the flu shot was safe? They didn’t mention the disclaimer. Maybe they all had too many flu shots?
(1) Dr. Fudenberg at the NVIC International Vaccine Conference, Arlington, VA September, 1997. Quoted with permission.
(2) John's Hopkins Newsletter Nov 1998.
(3) Verreault R, Laurin D, Lindsay, J, et al Past exposure to vaccines and subsequent risk of Alzheimer’s disease. CMAJ 2001;165(11):1495-8

Note: Dr. Fudenberg's web site is: http://members.aol.com/nitrf I recommend you visit it. Fascinating stuff there.

Enough said.

Rep

I have been talking about thus shit for years but there are several posters on this BB that say I'm crazy. Thanks for the post.

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I still disagree.

Donger
11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Whoever did the names this time really outdid themself. I'm not sure whether I like the Dongless of Hummus Jenkins better. LMAO I need to know who to give rep to on this one.

I only asked because I was curious as to which flu type he was referring. IIRC, approximately 36,000 people die from influenza (or influenza-caused illnesses) every year in this country alone.

Demonpenz
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I ususally get one large companies ususally provide incentives to get them. Saves them in the long run if everyone's not sick.

Donger
11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Rep

I have been talking about thus shit for years but there are several posters on this BB that say I'm crazy. Thanks for the post.

Yeah, this guy's not a quack...

Herman Hugh Fudenberg, M.D., Ph.D., is part of a small but noisy network of misguided health professionals who claim that vaccinations are dangerous and that mercury poisoning is a major cause of autism. He routinely advises against giving immunizations during infancy and early childhood. He has also promoted the dubious notion that "transfer factor" is an effective treatment for autism.

In November 1995, the South Carolina medical board found Fudenberg "guilty of engaging in dishonorable, unethical, or unprofessional conduct," fined him $10,000, ordered him to surrender his license to prescribe controlled substances (narcotic drugs), and placed his license on indefinite suspension. The Board's order, shown below, said that he could apply for probationary status if he underwent a neuropsychiatric examination and was judged capable of practicing medicine safely. In March 1996, he was permitted to resume practice under terms of probation that did not permit him to prescribe any drugs. His license expired in January 2004; and in March 2004, he applied to have it reinstated. However, after a hearing in which the Board considered a neuropsychatric report issued in 2003, Fudenberg agreed to remain in a "retired" status and withdrew his application for reactivation of his license. The South Carolina board's Web site lists his license as "lapsed."

Fudenberg's lack of a license does not appear to have stopped him from offering medical services to the public. His Neuro Immuno Therapeutics Research Foundation Web site offers the following services: review of past medical records ($750 per inch); determining what tests are needed, ordering the tests, and interpreting the tests ($750); and determining which therapy will work (usually 2 hours @ $750/hour).

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, this guy's not a quack...

Herman Hugh Fudenberg, M.D., Ph.D., is part of a small but noisy network of misguided health professionals who claim that vaccinations are dangerous and that mercury poisoning is a major cause of autism. He routinely advises against giving immunizations during infancy and early childhood. He has also promoted the dubious notion that "transfer factor" is an effective treatment for autism.

In November 1995, the South Carolina medical board found Fudenberg "guilty of engaging in dishonorable, unethical, or unprofessional conduct," fined him $10,000, ordered him to surrender his license to prescribe controlled substances (narcotic drugs), and placed his license on indefinite suspension. The Board's order, shown below, said that he could apply for probationary status if he underwent a neuropsychiatric examination and was judged capable of practicing medicine safely. In March 1996, he was permitted to resume practice under terms of probation that did not permit him to prescribe any drugs. His license expired in January 2004; and in March 2004, he applied to have it reinstated. However, after a hearing in which the Board considered a neuropsychatric report issued in 2003, Fudenberg agreed to remain in a "retired" status and withdrew his application for reactivation of his license. The South Carolina board's Web site lists his license as "lapsed."

Fudenberg's lack of a license does not appear to have stopped him from offering medical services to the public. His Neuro Immuno Therapeutics Research Foundation Web site offers the following services: review of past medical records ($750 per inch); determining what tests are needed, ordering the tests, and interpreting the tests ($750); and determining which therapy will work (usually 2 hours @ $750/hour).

I've posted tons of stuff before. It's not like mercury in vaccinations is anything new. The autism link is very well documented do a google on it. If anyone should be charged with unethical conduct it should be the FDA. Here is an article posted in the Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/7395411/deadly_immunity/

The FDA hired a guy that used to wok for the pharmaceutical companies in question to their investigation it was a joke.

Donger
11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I've posted tons of stuff before.

Yes, I know. My personal favorite was the "microwaves poison your food" or whatever it was.

Fish
11-28-2006, 12:27 PM
I've never gotten a flu shot... ever. And I work in a large university sometimes touching 10 or more public keyboards a day. I've only had the flu once in my life. I'm about the furthest thing from a germ free person... I never wash my coffee cup, only wash my hands when I piss on them, share food with the dog, etc....

It's not a popular belief, but I think people are a little too germ free these days. These instant hand sanitizers kill 99% of germs and bacteria, but that other 1% that survives can build an immunity to the sanitizers that could harm you worse than if you let your body deal with it normally like it's supposed to. Same with parents shooting their kids up with antibiotics all the time. Pharmaceuticals are making a killing selling to parents that are scared of their kids getting sick.

Not to say there aren't good uses for it, but using it as a preventive measure year after year is just making your body more reliant on the shot and less capable of fighting it off on it's own.

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I always go to Rolling Stone for my medical information.

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I always go to Rolling Stone for my medical information.

Google it there is a ton of information on it and you of all people here at the Planet have seen the endless articles I have posted on it before. Actually if I recall we weren't that far off on this subject but go ahead and pretend you haven't seen all the shit I posted on it and make fun of the Rolling Stone article.

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes, I know. My personal favorite was the "microwaves poison your food" or whatever it was.

**** you that's a completely different subject. I don't have time to look up all this shit again right now so why don't you and Iowanian go on down to the clinic and have them stick that shit your body. Asshole. When I have time I will come back and post the same shit for the bizzillionth time. In the mean time why don't you go nuke yourself some lunch.

Donger
11-28-2006, 12:49 PM
**** you that's a completely different subject. I don't have time to look up all this shit again right now so why don't you and Iowanian go on down to the clinic and have them stick that shit your body. Asshole. When I have time I will come back and post the same shit for the bizzillionth time. In the mean time why don't you go nuke yourself some lunch.

Okay. Sorry, but you seem to have a penchant for every pet medical qwack story that comes down the pike. It wasn't my intention to irritate you.

BTW, I've never had a flu shot and probably never will.

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 12:54 PM

the people that died in the 1917 flu pandemic called to say you're full of sh*t

luv
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
I've never gotten a flu shot... ever. And I work in a large university sometimes touching 10 or more public keyboards a day. I've only had the flu once in my life. I'm about the furthest thing from a germ free person... I never wash my coffee cup, only wash my hands when I piss on them, share food with the dog, etc....

It's not a popular belief, but I think people are a little too germ free these days. These instant hand sanitizers kill 99% of germs and bacteria, but that other 1% that survives can build an immunity to the sanitizers that could harm you worse than if you let your body deal with it normally like it's supposed to. Same with parents shooting their kids up with antibiotics all the time. Pharmaceuticals are making a killing selling to parents that are scared of their kids getting sick.

Not to say there aren't good uses for it, but using it as a preventive measure year after year is just making your body more reliant on the shot and less capable of fighting it off on it's own.
When you get the shot, you are fighting it off. The purpose of the shot is to help you build up your immunity. That's why some people still get sick after getting it.

4th and Long
11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
REP!

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Go down and have them pump you full of that shit then.

Dongless

This is thee only thread left on it. Lots of stats. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121155&page=1&pp=15&highlight=mercury+autism

Eleazar
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM

How does the state of sanitation in 2006 differ from 1917?

What sorts of countries currently experience the most influenza deaths per cap?

I remember hearing in the late 80s/early 90s that AIDS was going to mutate and become airborne, and also that it was going to become pandemic here. But the reality is, that people in the United States who don't engage in high risk behaviors are not at high risk.

Color me skeptical.

When it starts affecting average, healthy, non-elderly or non-infantile people in first world countries then I will be scared of eleventy billion people in the world dying including me. Until then, it will still sound like hysteria over nothing to me. If I were elderly or had an infant child I might be scared and rioting for vaccinations.

BIG_DADDY
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM

I remember hearing in the late 80s/early 90s that AIDS was going to mutate and become airborne, and also that it was going to become pandemic here. But the reality is, that people in the United States who don't engage in high risk behaviors are not at high risk.

Color me skeptical.

When it starts affecting average, healthy, non-elderly or non-infantile people in first world countries then I will be scared of eleventy billion people in the world dying including me. Until then, it will still sound like hysteria over nothing to me. If I were elderly or had an infant child I might be scared and rioting for vaccinations.

Apparently H5N1 doesn't understand sarcasm. I have noticed people who get the vaccines tend to just be sicker people in general which may explain their need to get one. As an example I have one guy in my office who is getting the vaccine. He is out sick today. I am going to guess he is out sick 10 days this year, that's about normal for him. I have never taken off a sick day since we started this company.

|Zach|
11-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Never taken those shots...I haven't had the flu since I was in middle school. *knock on wood*

*err knock on whatever surface this office depot desk is made out of*

Fish
11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
When you get the shot, you are fighting it off. The purpose of the shot is to help you build up your immunity. That's why some people still get sick after getting it.

Every flu shot you get forces your body to have a little jump in antibody production. That antibody production normally occurs naturally in the body, but now you're forcing your body to produce it at times when it may not even need it. After repeating that the following year(s), your body is now used to having that extra boost to help fight off the flu, and produces less antibody on it's own.

Add to that the fact that each time you take a flu shot, some of the influenza strains you're carrying adapt and build an immunity to the vaccine. That's why new shots must be developed every year. The vaccine you took last year won't have an effect this year, because the influenza has adapted to it. So you're constantly creating a new cocktail, while creating more resistant strains of influenza at the same time. Each new vaccine you take makes you a little less naturally resistant, which is why some people still get sick after getting the shot.

Like I said, there are lots of people who do need them. But it should be restricted to those who's immune system cannot produce it's own antibodies for other reasons.

Brock
11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
If you've got school age kids, I'd recommend getting the flu shot. Those kids bring home some nasty bugs. Otherwise, the flu shot really isn't necessary for anyone but the elderly and soforth.

Chiefnj
11-28-2006, 01:45 PM

The CDC.

http://thinktwice.com/cdc_2001.pdf

jidar
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I get it every once in awhile, but I still don't do the vaccine thing. I figure my immune system needs to get a work out every once in awhile anyway.

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=BIG_DADDYwhy don't you and Iowanian go on down to the clinic and have them stick that shit your body. .[/QUOTE]

I don't have to....mine was brought home.

You're right, we have gone around about this stuff before. I have read the documentation you provided at that time, I also showed some of your arguements to a family member with extensive medical training who thought most of it was BS.

EX.
1. "the flu shot will make you sick"
A. "It can't, its not a live vaccine"

I've taken into consideration the arguements I've seen here, and have discussed many of the questions raised with our pediatrician, the family member in the medical field, and ultimately have chosen to have my child vaccinated, including some of the "new" ones for things like Hep.

Like Brock, I think if you have children, work in the public, are elderly, young(child) or have compromised immune system issues, you should get the shot.....While "I" would ultimately probably be fine if I were to pick up Influenza(not diarhea....the actual respiratory flu) at work or somewhere, and give it to an infant, I'd feel like an asshole.

I'll get the shot.....don't get it if you don't want it.

Donger
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't have to....mine was brought home.

You're right, we have gone around about this stuff before. I have read the documentation you provided at that time, I also showed some of your arguements to a family member with extensive medical training who thought most of it was BS.

EX.
1. "the flu shot will make you sick"
A. "It can't, its not a live vaccine"

I've taken into consideration the arguements I've seen here, and have discussed many of the questions raised with our pediatrician, the family member in the medical field, and ultimately have chosen to have my child vaccinated, including some of the "new" ones for things like Hep.

Like Brock, I think if you have children, work in the public, are elderly, young(child) or have compromised immune system issues, you should get the shot.....While "I" would ultimately probably be fine if I were to pick up Influenza(not diarhea....the actual respiratory flu) at work or somewhere, and give it to an infant, I'd feel like an asshole.

I'll get the shot.....don't get it if you don't want it.

Peh. They're just part of the conspiracy! Google is all-seeing and all-knowing.

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't doubt there is some validity to what you're saying in this post, however I think its a bit misleading.

The powers that be, make their best guess as to which strains of flu will be prevalent, many months in advance for the coming year. They make teh vaccine to fight that strain of flu...lets say Strain A......then, El Nino and a guy named Larry brings Influenza B from his Visit to a Phillipine brothel and even the people vaccinated for A, can become ill.

I think alot of the misconception with the flu shot, is that you "won't get the pukes or the shats", which are not the major symptoms of the actual Influenza that causes concern.

Every flu shot you get forces your body to have a little jump in antibody production. That antibody production normally occurs naturally in the body, but now you're forcing your body to produce it at times when it may not even need it. After repeating that the following year(s), your body is now used to having that extra boost to help fight off the flu, and produces less antibody on it's own.

Add to that the fact that each time you take a flu shot, some of the influenza strains you're carrying adapt and build an immunity to the vaccine. That's why new shots must be developed every year. The vaccine you took last year won't have an effect this year, because the influenza has adapted to it. So you're constantly creating a new cocktail, while creating more resistant strains of influenza at the same time. Each new vaccine you take makes you a little less naturally resistant, which is why some people still get sick after getting the shot.

Chiefnj
11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
What happened to the bird epidemic that was going to the hit the US and wipe out the entire population like the meteors did to the dinosaurs?

Something to ponder over:

In 2003 per the CDC there were 1,792 influenza deaths.
In 2004 per the CDC there were 1,265 influenza deaths.

2004 was the year of the shortage and not everyone that wanted the vaccine was able to get it. If there was a shortage and fewer people vaccinated, why was there a 30% reduction in fatalities?

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah....its that simple, isn't it.

I'm no doctor or epidemiologist, but the way I understand it, the bird flu, is mostly still in birds, and the humans that are getting sick from it have direct contact with the birds(workers or live among them). The concern was, to my understanding that the bug would mutate and become an easily transmittable monster that humans had no immunity to at this time.

Predarat
11-28-2006, 03:10 PM
In my area flu paranoyia season runs from late October until March.

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Go down and have them pump you full of that shit then.

Dongless

This is thee only thread left on it. Lots of stats. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121155&page=1&pp=15&highlight=mercury+autism

heh--that's the funny thing, BD--never had a flu shot here

Iowanian
11-28-2006, 10:11 PM
I shit you not.....I just got my flu shot, reading this thread...typing this post.

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 10:14 PM

Color me skeptical.

oh, that's just the crux--sanitation is worlds better than it was in 1917... however, our ability to spread an infection over large areas of population is MUCH more dangerous than it was in 1917... in 1917, one could only get from europe to america via ship which took several weeks--in several HOURS now, a guy who's infected with virus A (fictional virus for this example), he could have flown from southeast asia, infected about ten people onboard, and infected 10% of the people he comes in contact with via sneezes/etc... by the time he's at his american destination (or in the hospital ER), he's already infected at LEAST a 20-30 people (conservative estimate)

and THOSE people infect another 20-30 people each

all of the sudden, even if THOSE people don't catch another airline or drive somewhere, you've got a MAJOR outbreak on your hands--even worse if it infects stew people (airline steward/esses--supposedly how HIV ran rampant in early 80's)

that's the whole issue with the next pandemic--history tells us that there's generally a major pandemic (be it flu or another virus/bacterium) every century or so--we're due, honestly... and the problem with our sanitation is that even if we have the BEST sanitation in the world, if you dump a few thousand corpses into the best hospital and overwhelm the doctors/nurses of the hospital, they won't be able to contain the infection via the safe 'barrior' methods of quarantine

so all of the sudden, you're going to hell in a handbasket whether it's flu or another virus/bacteria--I've talked with jimnasium about this before (he's the resident public health expert, I'm merely a student)--when it really comes down to it, there's absolutely NO defense against the 'perfect storm'--you do what you CAN do, protect the very young and very old

that's basically where 1917 differentiated from other flu strains--it didn't just run roughshod through the elderly and extremely young, it ran rampant in the 'young adult' and 'middle aged' people--which is what they're afraid Avian flu will do if/when it ever comes

jeesh--sorry for the encyclopedia, this is just a subject (public health) that I'm passionate about

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Apparently H5N1 doesn't understand sarcasm. I have noticed people who get the vaccines tend to just be sicker people in general which may explain their need to get one. As an example I have one guy in my office who is getting the vaccine. He is out sick today. I am going to guess he is out sick 10 days this year, that's about normal for him. I have never taken off a sick day since we started this company.

and apparently big daddy doesn't understand it either--that post was TIC (tongue in cheek)--

you have to remember, I'm in college to go INTO the public health field (hopefully CDC one day)-- you can find examples of people who never get sick a day in their lives whether they have vaccines or not

and you can find examples of people who don't have the vaccines who are sick all of the time--

it's like anything else--you can use the statistics to prove whatever you want in the end

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
The CDC.

http://thinktwice.com/cdc_2001.pdf

2001 stats?? get new info, dude

it's like AIDS

technically, AIDS doesn't kill you--it opens up your immune system so that other infections (called opportunistic infections) can kill you from something as simple as pneumonia

Ebolapox
11-28-2006, 10:22 PM
What happened to the bird epidemic that was going to the hit the US and wipe out the entire population like the meteors did to the dinosaurs?

Something to ponder over:

In 2003 per the CDC there were 1,792 influenza deaths.
In 2004 per the CDC there were 1,265 influenza deaths.

2004 was the year of the shortage and not everyone that wanted the vaccine was able to get it. If there was a shortage and fewer people vaccinated, why was there a 30% reduction in fatalities?

the upcoming (if/when it ever comes--though as I said before, we ARE due) flu pandemic is like a ticking time bomb--the most obvious flu strain to fear is called, aptly, H5N1--those influenza deaths are NOT deaths caused by H5N1--those are other substrains of the influenza virus

it's like saying 'the chiefs are gonna win the super bowl' and putting our hopes on it every year--we know (HOPE) that one day it'll happen, but if the easter bunny don't come, we're obviously out in the dark/dissapointed

mark my words--we're due for a major pandemic--are we ready to handle it? I don't know for certain--if things go our way, we might be able to keep it from being a 'global' killer like black death or the 1917 flu pandemic--

if it comes unexpectedly because we DIDN'T PREPARE because people like you and BD think it's retarded to prepare, we're f*cked

Fish
11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
the upcoming (if/when it ever comes--though as I said before, we ARE due) flu pandemic is like a ticking time bomb--the most obvious flu strain to fear is called, aptly, H5N1--those influenza deaths are NOT deaths caused by H5N1--those are other substrains of the influenza virus

it's like saying 'the chiefs are gonna win the super bowl' and putting our hopes on it every year--we know (HOPE) that one day it'll happen, but if the easter bunny don't come, we're obviously out in the dark/dissapointed

mark my words--we're due for a major pandemic--are we ready to handle it? I don't know for certain--if things go our way, we might be able to keep it from being a 'global' killer like black death or the 1917 flu pandemic--

if it comes unexpectedly because we DIDN'T PREPARE because people like you and BD think it's retarded to prepare, we're f*cked

Wow dude......... [whistle].............out there...............

Frosty
11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Some other thoughts on the flu:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=469543

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=51913

I don't know for sure if it works for the flu, but I do know that since we started supplementing with Vitamin D, we just don't get sick. I have two kids in school (4th and 6th grade) and a wife that volunteers/works at the grade school, and we don't get the bugs that go around. My youngest has had two colds in the last year but they were just sniffles that lasted a couple of days - no fever or missed school. He also didn't get the cough afterwards like he always did before.

BIG_DADDY
11-29-2006, 03:53 PM

The sky is falling!!!!

BIG_DADDY
11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I shit you not.....I just got my flu shot, reading this thread...typing this post.

NICE!!! How does it feel to have that shit running through your veins? :Lin:

Adept Havelock
11-29-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't know about "flu paranoia", but there a lot of people talking about something called "Captain Trips". ;)

I usually get a flu shot, and can't remember the last time I caught it.

Ebolapox
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
The sky is falling!!!!

no it's not--however, if you choose NOT to prepare for something just because you think the big bad medical community is after you to poison you with mercury, (therefore NOT preparing), you're just plain assinine