PDA

View Full Version : What will be Jay Cutler's legacy?

banyon
11-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Since, it's official now, I figured we may as well throw some wild-a** guesses at what the outcome will be.

Poll to follow.

Frazod
11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
The next Ryan Leaf?

Reaper16
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Next Barry Sanders.

noa
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Rich Scanlon's first official Murder Death Kill

Eleazar
11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Not Plummer is already his legacy.

InChiefsHeaven
11-27-2006, 03:19 PM
He's the next Griese...

siberian khatru
11-27-2006, 03:21 PM
> Trent Green

Simplex3
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
"Slightly worse than Plummer-flames out in 2-3 years" is your best odds.

Iowanian
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Hopefully, he's the guy that makes AFCW fans forget Ryan Leaf when discussing QB whiffs.

banyon
11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
"Slightly worse than Plummer-flames out in 2-3 years" is your best odds.

That was my pick too.

I wonder who the Two "1st ballot HOF" Bronco fans are that don't post?

Taco? Mile High Mania? Garcia Bronco or vailpass?

big nasty kcnut
11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
He'll be just another victim to be crushed by kansas city.

FAX
11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
so much depends
upon
a red flag

glazed with rat
sweat

beside the white
boundry line.

FAX

Elwaysux
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Tough call. The big question is do I change my post script from "Jake Does Too" to "Cuntler Does Too" or will he get knocked out in a game or to and Jake comes back. Decisions, decisions.

dirk digler
11-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I haven't seen Jay perform except in some meaningless pre-season games so I will wait to make any kind of judgement.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
He's not a winner. Never was, never will be.

Best comparison, see: Boller, Kyle.

Megbert
11-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Just like the QB's in Dungvar since smElway left.

He'll have one decent game then another and all of a sudden he'll be the 'answer' in bronkoland.

He'll have a few good starts every year allowing the national media once again to continue the 2nd coming talk.

After 3-4 years some in the media will start to say for him to be considered an elite QB he'll need to lead them to some playoff wins.

5-6 years later There'll be talk of starting the rookie over him since he never panned out.

Something like that.

tk13
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Well, to be fair, I don't know about that. He did some good things with Vanderbilt to get them out of the gutter, that's pretty tough. And he went 26-1 his final two years in high school and won a state title. It's not the greatest resume of all time but it's not bad.

We'll see how he picks up the pro game though, I'm not predicting superstardom, but I'd rather Shanahan didn't get him. I think he's in a good place. I would probably compare him to Alex Smith. Cutler's a good athlete, throws a real pretty ball.

penguinz
11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
And he went 26-1 his final two years in high school and won a state title. What does this have to do with the NFL?

FAX
11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, to be fair, I don't know about that. He did some good things with Vanderbilt to get them out of the gutter, that's pretty tough. And he went 26-1 his final two years in high school and won a state title. It's not the greatest resume of all time but it's not bad.

We'll see how he picks up the pro game though, I'm not predicting superstardom, but I'd rather Shanahan didn't get him. I think he's in a good place. I would probably compare him to Alex Smith. Cutler's a good athlete, throws a real pretty ball.

Most people around here place Vandy's recent "success" at Bobby Johnson's feet. They won 5 games Cutler's senior year with the big win being at Tennessee who also sucked that year with also 5 wins I think. They won 4 this year without Cutler and were much more competitive in the games they lost, Mr. tk13 ... losing several games by 6 points or less as I recall.

Frankly, I think Johnson is one of the best college-level game planners in the business.

FAX

Frazod
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I really like that eighth option..... :evil:

tk13
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
What does this have to do with the NFL?
What does anything have to do with the NFL? Tom Brady didn't do jack squat in college. Now he's considered the best "winner" in the business. And he probably is. How do you determine what a winner is? Can you say someone's never been a winner because they didn't make the national championship the last season of college ball? I don't know, it could mean absolutely nothing. He may totally bomb. We're about to find out.

Easy 6
11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
He's a 50/50 prospect at best, like most guys coming in really. If having a huge arm was a worthy indicator then there would still be a BUNCH of guys in the NFL.

College success isnt always a good gauge either, QB is just a huge gamble every single time.

The rat maxed out plummets capabilities, so he may groom the guy into something worthwhile.

Donk fans better invest heavily in patience...or crack......

caffeinated_virus
11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Cutlers stock really shot up at the Senior Bowl "practices". However, he was decent at the Senior bowl. Here are his stats:

6/19, 1 TD, 69 yards

Nothing to write home about.

I know he is athletic and has a strong arm, but so are a lot of players in college who if you went by this, they should all be in the NFL.

He had a good pre-season, but so do a lot of people and it is a mute point.

I think he is going to need a lot of work. His stats in college were average. His decision making was poor.

I am surprised tht ShannaRAT made this decision. To me, it is throwing in the towel at this point.

Rain Man
11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
He'll have to hire Ryan Leaf for public relations counseling.

KCBOSS1
11-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Watched him play with Vanderbuilt......fair team, fair line...threw on the run a lot and was very successful with a very live arm. Extremely accurate. I hate it that Shanahan saw the stuff in him.

I think he will be exceptional.......Legacy...only pro-bowl, multi playoff player to never be able to beat the Chiefs (hopeful thinking)

manchambo
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Couple of comments:

Many very good NFL QBs have come from as humble or more humble college beginnings (Favre, Elway, McNair come to mind, but there are many many others).

Those saying that there are a lot of players every year with arms like Cutler's are just flat wrong. He throws the ball like very few QBs can. Does that guarantee success? Of course not (see one Jeff George). But don't pretend like he is not a special physical talent.

BTW, I voted for 3-4 times deep in the playoffs.

UL Washington
11-27-2006, 06:11 PM

Really? He won the SEC player of the year award which was the same conference Alabama was in if you didn't know.

Deberg_1990
11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
4 Super Bowl Appearances.

3 Wins.

30,000 yards passing. 400 TD's

Future HoF'er

Fairplay
11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I want to know who are the 8 people are who voted the Multiple Super Bowl Elway-esque career/1st ballot HOF.

Step forward so you can take your beating._ :spank: :#

CoMoChief
11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
He's definately more accurate than Jake Plummer. He'll be good eventually as much as that sucks for us, but it wont be for a couple years. Shanahan basically just forefitted the season bringing a rookie in when the WC playoff spots are up for grabs.

FAX
11-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Cutler has strength and intelligence.

Still, if he's a bust because he can't adapt to the speed of the NFL game, I'll feel badly for his family but I'll laugh for years.

FAX

manchambo
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't really agree that he forfeited anything. Plummer was playing bad enough that I fully expect Cutler to play better, even though he is a rookie.

Put it this way: Cutler will make some rookie mistakes, which Jake for some reason was still doing, but he will make some god throws, which Jake for some reason was not doing.