PDA

View Full Version : replacing sidemount battery terminals.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I just bought new bolts. I was wandering how do i get the old threaded bolts out from the round rubber housing to replace with new?

http://images.google.com/images?q=%20SIDE%20MOUNT%20BATTERY%20TERMINALS&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi

Mr. Laz
11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
if i understand what your asking correctly

iirc i believe they are double screws ....

the posts screw into the battery and then you screw something on to them.

how corroded they are will determine how hard they are to unscrew.

btw - they might be reverse threaded as well ... i'm not sure.

Bugeater
11-27-2006, 07:12 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to stop buying that GM crap. Or just replace the whole terminals, I doubt they're that expensive.

Bob Dole
11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
The absolute worst thing you can do is jack with it to the point that it can arc and lead to an explosion (that might happen while you stand over it and tell someone else to "try it now".)

Bwana
11-27-2006, 07:20 PM
WTF exactly is this guy asking?

~Looking for decoder ring~

11-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Thats what I was wondering

~keep looking~

Bugeater
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM

He's talking about those worthless GM side mount battery terminals. He wants to replace the bolts that thread into the battery, but he can't get the old bolts out of the rubber terminal.

Bwana
11-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Thats what I was wondering

~keep looking~
Well hell, I would be happy to try to help him out if I spoke Crow. I need a little translation here. LMAO

11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I would be happy to try to help him out is I spoke Crow LMAO

:clap: :clap: :D

Bwana
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
He's talking about those worthless GM side mount battery terminals. He wants to replace the bolts that thread into the battery, but he can't get the old bolts out of the rubber terminal.I always used vise grips, but as brother Dole stated, watch your ass! If you cross something up and get an arc..........

BOOM!

You could easily blow the thing up and become part of the white cane crowd. ALWAYS wear saftey glasses when you're dinking around with something like that.

Bugeater
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I always used vise grips, but as brother Dole stated, watch your ass! If you cross something up and get an arc..........

BOOM!

You could easily blow the thing up and become part of the white cane crowd. ALWAYS wear saftey glasses when you're dinking around with something like that.
I'm guessing he's got the terminals off of the battery already, but he needs to remove the bolt from the terminal itself.

OldTownChief
11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Start the car and drive 86 miles at 70 miles per hour, pull over, remove the radiator cap. The cool mist should be enough to saturate the terminal bolts for easy removal.

If that doesn't work, find the nearest QT, leave keys in car, go in and buy some cigs and water.

Bwana
11-27-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm guessing he's got the terminals off of the battery already, but he needs to remove the bolt from the terminal itself.

Either the right size socket, (One should fit the little dinker end) vise grips, or a bigger hammer.

Bob Dole
11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I always used vise grips, but as brother Dole stated, watch your ass! If you cross something up and get an arc..........

BOOM!

Contact lenses saved Bob Dole's eyesight.

It was definitely a scary 5 minutes as Bob Dole ran around blinded, trying to find a water hose and peeling the plastic off his eyes.

Bob Dole hasn't participated in jump-starting a car since.

Pay the $4 a year for roadside assistance or AAA. It ain't Bob Dole's problem, cheapass.

plbrdude
11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
why not just get a new battery???

Bwana
11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Contact lenses saved Bob Dole's eyesight.

It was definitely a scary 5 minutes as Bob Dole ran around blinded, trying to find a water hose and peeling the plastic off his eyes.

Bob Dole hasn't participated in jump-starting a car since.

Pay the $4 a year for roadside assistance or AAA. It ain't Bob Dole's problem, cheapass.

Valid point.

I have one hell of a winter emergency kit in the back of my car trunk including a full plastic face shield just for messing with crap like that. It's not worth losing your eyes over something that is so easily prevented.