PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs running among NFL’s elite

oaklandhater
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Chiefs running among NFL’s elite
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Team takes pride in seeing the improving rushing offense return back among the league’s top 10.

The move received little fanfare outside of the Chiefs’ locker room, but make no mistake about its significance within.

The Chiefs this week took what they believe is their rightful spot in the top 10 in rushing yardage. They will be sixth heading into Sunday’s game against the Browns in Cleveland, just in time for the arrival of frosty air and right when they want their rushing game in top shape.

“We’ve worked on it and worked on it, and now we’re more consistent in what we’re doing,” guard Will Shields said. “That’s the key. Once you get consistent, you can make things happen.”

The Chiefs are no strangers to the NFL’s rushing top 10. They finished there in the last two seasons, in four of the last five and eight of the last 11.

Seldom have they been as challenged in getting there like this season. Between injuries on the offensive line and the eight-game loss of quarterback Trent Green because of a concussion, the running game was about as ugly as it could get early in the season.

The Chiefs dropped as low as 25th in rushing in mid-October after consecutive disastrous games in Arizona and Pittsburgh.

The problems were easy to see coming. One starting offensive lineman, Willie Roaf, retired on the eve of training camp. Another, John Welbourn, was suspended by the NFL. A third, Brian Waters, missed most of training camp because of injuries.

“It all started in the preseason for me,” coach Herm Edwards said. “You’re decimated early. You’ve got a guy retiring, and you get a guy hurt. Now you’re not playing with your line. Who are we kidding? This wasn’t going to be a fine-oiled machine on opening day. I knew that. But I thought we’d be OK because they’re veteran guys. But we weren’t where we are right now. There was a constant flux of changing guys. You can’t do that at that position. Those five guys have to play together.”

More line injuries forced even more shuffling of players. But through it all, the Chiefs retained a solid middle of their offensive line, one of the league’s top runners in Larry Johnson and in Edwards a coach determined to run the ball.

So the Chiefs always had the sense that a running revival was inevitable.

“We’re all creatures of habit,” Edwards said. “Your habits create who you are. If you continue to work on certain things in the run game, you’re going to get better. We’re focusing on the runs we feel we’re good at, and Larry likes running. We’re not going to give up on it. We’re committed to it.

“Offensive linemen have to get into a groove. The running back has to get into a groove. If you start dropping back to pass all the time, when it comes time to run, your runner doesn’t have enough carries to get into that groove and the offensive line has been pass-protecting all day and they don’t have that feel for it.”

With well more than 100 yards in five of the last six games, Johnson has surged to the lead among individual runners. Johnson has 1,202 yards, or 25 more than his closest pursuer, San Francisco’s Frank Gore.

More important to Edwards, Johnson’s per-carry average has climbed to 4.3. It was a sluggish 3.7 yards per carry as recently as four weeks ago.

More yards per carry not only means more long runs, but fewer negative runs. Johnson had no negative runs in 34 carries last week against Denver and only two in 31 carries the week before against Oakland.

That means fewer long-yardage situations for the Chiefs’ offense, something Edwards desperately wants to avoid.

“We’re having fewer negative runs and less opportunity for negative runs,” Waters said. “Three or four yards might sound like a big thing, but they’re a big thing to us because it’s not putting us in second and long or third and long. We did that too much in the past.

“We’ve been concentrating our efforts on good runs, runs we like. We don’t go into every game with a thousand plays and hoping that one works. Now we’re concentrating on the ones we really like, and we’re staying with them.”

Johnson was nothing but a power runner last season but added some moves to his game this year. He left Denver linebacker Ian Gold behind with a highlight-reel move last week.

“People have him labeled as a power runner, which he is, but he’s more than a power runner,” Edwards said. “He has some niftiness to the way he runs, too. He’s made some guys miss. He’s got good feet and good acceleration. He’s niftier than people give him credit for.”

Video study sessions that included both blockers and Johnson have also helped each side understand what the other is seeing and doing. Johnson has used more patience in waiting for holes to develop, as Priest Holmes once did so well.

“He knows when to hit it right up in there or wait for things to develop,” Shields said. “That’s just his experience showing. He’s trusting us more now. He’s seeing things more, and he’s becoming more comfortable with what we’re trying to do.”

Crush
11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Bennett needs to get more carries, so we can keep LJ fresh and angry.

jspchief
11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Top 10 in rushins is great and all, but we're doing it by running 40+ times per game.

We need to get the passing game on track to create some balance. Otherwise the first time we face a team that stops the run, we'll be f*cked. Just look at Denver in the play-offs last year for a prime example.

kepp
11-28-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm hoping it will balance out as Trent rounds back into form.

StcChief
11-28-2006, 08:36 AM
LJ/Bennett this week for 250 yds in Cleveland

boogblaster
11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Nifity is good...power is better....

BigRedChief
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Bennett needs to get more carries, so we can keep LJ fresh and angry.
You don't know what the future will bring. Terrel Davis blows out a knee future or Curtis Matin 1000 yard rusher for 10 years future.

Does LJ leave for the "big city" NFL team when his contract is up?

Who knows? He's all we got now. Give him the rock.

KC-TBB
11-28-2006, 10:24 AM
He will be tagged with the Franchise player...he can check out anytime he likes, but he can never leave!

Lzen
11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Johnson was nothing but a power runner last season

Nonsense. While I agree that Johnson is showing more patience and is overall a better runner this year, I disagree with the sentiment that he was nothing but a power runner last year. See the Bengals game last year as an example.

BigRedChief
11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
He will be tagged with the Franchise player...he can check out anytime he likes, but he can never leave!
Not if we have to use it on Tony G and if LJ want's out he gets out. You can't have an unhappy RB as the center piece of your team. He would get traded instead.

Lzen
11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Not if we have to use it on Tony G and if LJ want's out he gets out. You can't have an unhappy RB as the center piece of your team. He would get traded instead.

Why would LJ be unhappy? From everything I've heard and read this season, he's happy. He likes Herm and he's the focus of the offense. Also, I would think that if the Chiefs had to make a choice between franchise tagging LJ or TG, I would think they would tag LJ.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
If anything, I see a happier LJ then from seasons past

thepascalblaze
11-28-2006, 11:59 AM
LJ wants to be an all-time great. To do that he needs to be in a run oriented offense. We are one of the most run oriented offenses in the league. I think he's okay, now that Herm is here.

J Diddy
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM

With tony this far in his career they will not use it on him.

FloridaMan88
11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
The Chiefs aren't exactly PASSING among the NFL's elite... ranking 21st in pass offense and tied for 23rd in passing TDs.

BALANCE BALANCE BALANCE and BALANCE... the Chiefs offense needs more of it

Nightfyre
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
The Chiefs aren't exactly PASSING among the NFL's elite... ranking 21st in pass offense and tied for 23rd in passing TDs.

I don't get it. Why put the ball in the air if you don't have to? If you are rushing for 5.4 yards a rush, why not just rush, progress down the field and keep control of the game?

htismaqe
11-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Balance for the sake of balance nets nothing.

If we NEED balance and we can't do it, then we should worry.

Hammock Parties
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Nonsense. While I agree that Johnson is showing more patience and is overall a better runner this year, I disagree with the sentiment that he was nothing but a power runner last year. See the Bengals game last year as an example.

Yep. Teicher is a moron. Remember his catch and run against San Diego?

Crashride
11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I dont understand why everyone is worried about LJ rushing 30 times a game. He hits people, not the other way around. Like someone else mentioned I have yet to see lj get annihilated by anyone. Hes only played 20 games in the NFL. Look at shaun alexander, he just carried the ball like 43 times last night, no ones worried about him. If it aint broken dont fix it

SPchief
11-28-2006, 03:23 PM

Yea this winning while controlling the clock sucks. Lets go back to scoring through the air in 3 minutes and have our defense on the field for 2/3rds of the game. That was the way we won in the playoffs the last couple of years.

Oh wait

Hammock Parties
11-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Yea this winning while controlling the clock sucks. Lets go back to scoring through the air in 3 minutes and have our defense on the field for 2/3rds of the game. That was the way we won in the playoffs the last couple of years.

Oh wait

The Chiefs were at or near the top of the league in time of possession under Vermeil. I'm happy with the team this year but we need more balance on offense.

jspchief
11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't get it. Why put the ball in the air if you don't have to? If you are rushing for 5.4 yards a rush, why not just rush, progress down the field and keep control of the game?Because the first tiem we face a team that succeeds at stopping our running game, we'll be helpless.

Look at Denver last year. Their bread and butter was a run heavy offense with a leashed passing game. Then Pittsburgh stopped the run and they looked like the f*cking bad news bears out there.

At some point we're probably going to need to pass the ball. That's why it's a good idea to keep the passing game sharp.

jspchief
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I dont understand why everyone is worried about LJ rushing 30 times a game. He hits people, not the other way around. Like someone else mentioned I have yet to see lj get annihilated by anyone. Hes only played 20 games in the NFL. Look at shaun alexander, he just carried the ball like 43 times last night, no ones worried about him. If it aint broken dont fix itMaybe it has something to do with the list of guys that set "carries in a season" records only to have abbreviated careers.

If running LJ 40 times will get us a Lombardi trophy, great. But it's also likely to shorten the span of tiem that Chiefs fans get to cheer for him.

Nightfyre
11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Because the first tiem we face a team that succeeds at stopping our running game, we'll be helpless.

Look at Denver last year. Their bread and butter was a run heavy offense with a leashed passing game. Then Pittsburgh stopped the run and they looked like the f*cking bad news bears out there.

At some point we're probably going to need to pass the ball. That's why it's a good idea to keep the passing game sharp.
I would argue that any team without a running game is helpless, regardless of whether or not they have a passing attack. Either way, Baltimore will tell all.

Halfcan
11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
LJ should put up 350 yards this weekend against the sorryass Brownies. 5 TD's to boot.

jspchief
11-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I would argue that any team without a running game is helpless, regardless of whether or not they have a passing attack. Either way, Baltimore will tell all.I never claimed we should abandon the run, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm just saying that we are leaning pretty heavily on LJ and the running game. It would be nice if we balanced things out a bit to make our offense less one-dimensional.

CHIEF4EVER
11-29-2006, 02:22 AM
I think we just APPEAR to be unbalanced at the moment. We run because it works and there is no reason to get away from it for any appreciable amount of time. I think we can still throw the ball with the best of them but haven't NEEDED to. JMO.