PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell

DMAC
11-28-2006, 10:13 AM
This is a 3 piece [kid whipper] that I found in my parents shed.

The people that used to live there must have left it behind.

It looks very old, it is cracked and stiff, but pretty neat nonetheless. It has brass fittings and is probably about 10-15 feet long.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4425/picture001gl2.jpg

It still has the old tie on there too.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4015/picture002uf6.jpg

I wonder if it is worth anything. :shrug:

Anyone else have anything they would like to show and tell?

tyton75
11-28-2006, 10:14 AM
yes.. it is probably worth quite a bit...

KC-TBB
11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
I know some fish that will pay you not to use it!

Dartgod
11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
That's not a fly rod.

Redrum_69
11-28-2006, 10:18 AM
On myspace I have a collection of your moms underwear

DMAC
11-28-2006, 10:18 AM
That's not a fly rod.It's not? What is it?

Redrum_69
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
LOL thats a cane pole

boogblaster
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
keep it use it just dont lose it ...

DMAC
11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
LOL thats a cane poleI am going to bring it and your mom down to Singapore.

Dartgod
11-28-2006, 10:21 AM
It's not? What is it?
This is a fly rod (the reel end of it anyway).

http://www.smallmouths.com/images/rod_reel.jpg

If yours does not have a reel, it is not a fly rod.

Fish
11-28-2006, 10:24 AM
That there's a dippin stick......

DMAC
11-28-2006, 10:24 AM
This is a fly rod (the reel end of it anyway).

http://www.smallmouths.com/images/rod_reel.jpg

If yours does not have a reel, it is not a fly rod.Maybe they made them different 100 years ago.

stumppy
11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a 3 piece bamboo fly fishing pole

ROFL

Put that thing away before you hurt yourself.

Fish
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I would doubt it's over 10-15 yrs old.... you can buy one about anywhere for under $10....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTarget=search&hvarTextId=60580&cm_mmc=bizrate-_-100-2-5-_--1-_-38-175-100-00&hvarAID=bizrate&mr:referralID=721b2f14-9854-4d7f-a6d3-9faf8f45dea7

DMAC
11-28-2006, 10:35 AM
hmm bummer, I like tyton75's response better.

Scaga
11-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Those are great for whippin' kids with :D

Rain Man
11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
http://www.homewizards.tv/images/affiliates/50_AR813R_Titanic.GIF

I was very excited when you brought this in, because this is a very rare piece from the "Huck Finn" school of fishing pole design. You can tell from the striations on it that it was produced in the Midwest sometime between 1810 and 1960, and it's quite possibly from the Hannibal area, which as we all know is famous for Mark Twain's works that focused on rural Americana.

The designer of this piece was a person named Tibias Fibula, who is generally recognized as a master of the cane fishing pole. If you're going to own one of these pieces, he's considered the premier person. He was active in the Hannibal area in the late 1800s, but there are a lot of copies of his work out there. So I can't be sure of the provenance, but if I had to guess, I'd say this piece is one of his, and it's from about 1870.

Now, what makes it really valuable is that, if you compare it to the illustrations of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", it's nearly an exact match for the fishing poles shown in that book. It's quite possible that this pole was the one used as the model for those illustrations, based on the color variations and patterns. I can't guarantee that, but it's likely.

Do you have any idea what this is worth?

No?

Well, let's start by assuming that this is a copy, which it's probably not. But if it is, mmmmm, probably somewhere around fifty to a hundred dollars. More of a keepsake than a valuable antique. But if it is a Fibula original, and I think it is, then I would probably expect it to go at auction for most like approximately $35,000, maybe $40,000 on a good day. There are collectors who really, really like these pieces.

But I mentioned that it might be the model for the illustrations for "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." That's very exciting. It combines so many pieces of Americana - fishing, Huck Finn, Mark Twain. It's truly a unique piece if this is the case, and I believe it is.

Are you sitting down?

If this went to auction with a little more verification from myself and some other experts, I believe - I honestly believe - that this piece would auction well over a million dollars. It's kind of a guess because the piece would be so unique, but a million-five wouldn't surprise me.

So are you glad you brought it in today?

Demonpenz
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
without readying the entire thread you can buy those at cabela's

DMAC
11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I was very excited when you brought this in, because this is a very rare piece from the "Huck Finn" school of fishing pole design. You can tell from the striations on it that it was produced in the Midwest sometime between 1810 and 1960, and it's quite possibly from the Hannibal area, which as we all know is famous for Mark Twain's works that focused on rural Americana.

The designer of this piece was a person named Tibias Fibula, who is generally recognized as a master of the cane fishing pole. If you're going to own one of these pieces, he's considered the premier person. He was active in the Hannibal area in the late 1800s, but there are a lot of copies of his work out there. So I can't be sure of the provenance, but if I had to guess, I'd say this piece is one of his, and it's from about 1870.

Now, what makes it really valuable is that, if you compare it to the illustrations of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", it's nearly an exact match for the fishing poles shown in that book. It's quite possible that this pole was the one used as the model for those illustrations, based on the color variations and patterns. I can't guarantee that, but it's likely.

Do you have any idea what this is worth?

No?

Well, let's start by assuming that this is a copy, which it's probably not. But if it is, mmmmm, probably somewhere around fifty to a hundred dollars. More of a keepsake than a valuable antique. But if it is a Fibula original, and I think it is, then I would probably expect it to go at auction for most like approximately $35,000, maybe $40,000 on a good day. There are collectors who really, really like these pieces.

But I mentioned that it might be the model for the illustrations for "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." That's very exciting. It combines so many pieces of Americana - fishing, Huck Finn, Mark Twain. It's truly a unique piece if this is the case, and I believe it is.

Are you sitting down?

If this went to auction with a little more verification from myself and some other experts, I believe - I honestly believe - that this piece would auction well over a million dollars. It's kind of a guess because the piece would be so unique, but a million-five wouldn't surprise me.

So are you glad you brought it in today?

:deevee:
After DaFace posted his Bass Pro link, I snapped it in half!! :p