PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil rips LJ in HBO interview

Hammock Parties
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Dick Vermeil, appearing in a feature with Peter King on HBO’s “Inside the NFL” this week, makes it clear again that he really wasn’t all that interested in playing Larry Johnson.

“I wouldn’t pay attention to him,” Vermeil said of playing Johnson. “My eyes, I would be up in the sky. You know, I would be sleeping in my office. I wouldn’t carry my playbook because I was just trying to get away from this building, you know, when Larry was here.”

King's interview with Vermeil, which appears at 9 tonight, also focuses on Vermeil's relationship with Greg Robinson.

King asked Vermeil, “Do you think Robinson, being a white guy and you being raised, of course, by a white guy, that you see a lot of similarities in Robinson that you saw in your dad that made you open up to him?”

Vermeil's response: “I think so. I could relate to Robinson and I couldn’t do that with the other coaches I had because they had not done it. You know, they haven’t made those calls or they haven’t been in the situation as a white coach and know what we had to go through."

“You know, when we go out, you know, we like to go out. You know, we like to hang out. We like to have fun. But then you got to worry about Larry Johnson around the corner with the gun. You got to worry about this girl on the block. You got to worry about, you know, your parents. You got to worry about your homeboys taking advantage of you."

“There’s so much things you got to worry about being an old white coach. And to be able to have a father like mine and have a coach like Greg, I was able to escape a lot of those realities and find myself in a new ray of light.”

Robinson also contributes to the show.

“First time I saw (Dick), I said: ‘Are you ready? Are you ready to give up 30 points a game?’ " Robinson said. “And he kind of looked up at me, and he probably thought, ‘I haven’t even met coach yet, and he’s — what, is he messin’ with me?’ ”

PastorMikH
11-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Dick Vermeil, appearing in a feature with Peter King on HBO’s “Inside the NFL” this week, makes it clear again that he really wasn’t all that interested in playing Larry Johnson.

“I wouldn’t pay attention to him,” Vermeil said of playing Johnson. “My eyes, I would be up in the sky. You know, I would be sleeping in my office. I wouldn’t carry my playbook because I was just trying to get away from this building, you know, when Larry was here.”

King's interview with Vermeil, which appears at 9 tonight, also focuses on Vermeil's relationship with Greg Robinson.

King asked Vermeil, “Do you think Robinson, being a white guy and you being raised, of course, by a white guy, that you see a lot of similarities in Robinson that you saw in your dad that made you open up to him?”

Vermeil's response: “I think so. I could relate to Robinson and I couldn’t do that with the other coaches I had because they had not done it. You know, they haven’t made those calls or they haven’t been in the situation as a white coach and know what we had to go through."

“You know, when we go out, you know, we like to go out. You know, we like to hang out. We like to have fun. But then you got to worry about Larry Johnson around the corner with the gun. You got to worry about this girl on the block. You got to worry about, you know, your parents. You got to worry about your homeboys taking advantage of you."

“There’s so much things you got to worry about being an old white coach. And to be able to have a father like mine and have a coach like Greg, I was able to escape a lot of those realities and find myself in a new ray of light.”

Robinson also contributes to the show.

“First time I saw (Dick), I said: ‘Are you ready? Are you ready to give up 30 points a game?’ " Robinson said. “And he kind of looked up at me, and he probably thought, ‘I haven’t even met coach yet, and he’s — what, is he messin’ with me?’ ”

With all of the mistakes, this must have been the writeup over at WPI.

:)

siberian khatru
11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I like the last paragraph.

Calcountry
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
I always thought DV was much more articulate than it appears in this article.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I always thought DV was much more articulate than it appears in this article.

It's all the wine.

Logical
11-29-2006, 05:15 PM
The part about Robinson as the white guy does not even make sense.

KCCHIEFS27
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
yeah, why would he go on to talk about how hard it is for an old white coach? I thought this was LJ talking at first, but even he's more articulate than what this article shows

wazu
11-29-2006, 05:25 PM
yeah, why would he go on to talk about how hard it is for an old white coach? I thought this was LJ talking at first, but even he's more articulate than what this article shows

Man, great first post.

Snowman
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Where did this transcript come from? I think it's bullshit.

wazu
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Good lord.

KcMizzou
11-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Good lord.LMAOLMAO

JonesCrusher
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
LMAOGreat job on that.

Funny how when you just change the perspective of that interview it goes from a very stupid interview that makes it on a has been HBO show into something that if it was real DV would gang-raped by this PC society of ours.

siberian khatru
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
http://www.debevans.com/Fish__Hook.jpg

FAX
11-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Maybe it's just me, but this seems a little out of character for DV.

FAX

boogblaster
11-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Tell something long enough it will become truth...

wazu
11-29-2006, 05:38 PM

FAX

I didn't really notice the first time I read it, but after seeing your post, and re-reading it, I think you're right. I don't remember Vermeil ever referring to his friends as "homeboys".

FAX
11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I didn't really notice the first time I read it, but after seeing your post, and re-reading it, I think you're right. I don't remember Vermeil ever referring to his friends as "homeboys".

Yeah, and there's this, Mr. Adam, "You got to worry about this girl on the block."

Even at DV's age, he would know that girls don't ever block.

FAX

Hammock Parties
11-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, and there's this, Mr. Adam, "You got to worry about this girl on the block."

FAX

Maybe he was referring to Kevin Sampson?

Crashride
11-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I hope you all know this is a joke on the real interview with LJ. The words are just shifted around...or am I not realizing the sarcasim

Logical
11-29-2006, 05:52 PM

FAX

I now see this is a parody of the Flanagan article, very poorly done by GoChiefs which I believe is why so many people are being confused.

OldTownChief
11-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Where did this transcript come from? I think it's bullshit.

ROFL

JonesCrusher
11-29-2006, 05:57 PM
I hope you all know this is a joke on the real interview with LJ. The words are just shifted around...or am I not realizing the sarcasim

I got the joke but what is a sarcasim? and why do you not know if you are realizing it?

:D:p

Hammock Parties
11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
I feel like the cat in Jones avatar.

Crush
11-29-2006, 06:15 PM
LMAO

FAX
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM

Maybe, Mr. Crashride.

I'm still not sure it's really DV, though.

FAX

SPchief
11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
LMAO

Calcountry
11-29-2006, 06:34 PM

FAXI think it is high time that DV fesses up and goes on David Letterman show and apologize.

Calcountry
11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I hope you all know this is a joke on the real interview with LJ. The words are just shifted around...or am I not realizing the sarcasimYou're kidding, right?

Hammock Parties
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Dick vs Johnson: A pay per view event

Vince McMahon does the intro:

"In this corner, standing 6-foot-1 and weighing 230 pounds...you know him as Diaper Boy, The Centaur and the Man Beast....LARRY JOHNSON! He doesn't play for ****ing Penn State anymore!"

"In this corner, standing 5-foot-11 (damn Vermeil is TALL) and weighing 170 pounds....you know him as Weepin' Dick, The offensive guru, the sultan of no defense....DICK VERMEIL! You can't intercept a sack!"

Dick hobbles into the ring wearing dockers and a Chiefs turtleneck. His Rams championship ring is proudly displayed on his right ring finger.

Larry leaps over the ropes wearing a red and gold robe with huge amounts of bling around his neck.

Larry flashes the rockafella sign to the crowd. Dick starts to weep from the emotion of the moment, but grabs a diaper and throws it in Larry's face. This makes Larry mad and he is now pissed.

The two turn to face each other. Dick produces a bottle of 1978 Cabernet Sauvignon from behind his back. He takes a long swig and sets it down in the corner. Larry takes a long pull on a 40.

LJ circles his old coach and Dick furiously throws a haymaker at LJ, who dodges, sending Vermeil sprawling into the opposite corner via momentum.

Larry then spies the bottle of wine. He grabs it and turns around, only to be met by a flying judo-punch right into the face from Dick.

Dick plays to the crowd as LJ falls to the floor. Greg Robinson waves a sign that says "Float like a butterfly, sting like Bartee."

Larry gets to his feet fuming as Dick turns around to face him once again. LJ takes the bottle of wine and breaks it off on the edge of the ring.

The wine pours out to Dick's horror, who starts crying again. LJ walks forward, threatening Dick with the broken bottle.

Dick runs for the edge of the ring and gets out just as LJ takes a swipe at him with the bottle. He runs for the exit and Larry leaps over the ropes in pursuit. They run out into the dark night.

greg63
11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
:shake:

Crashride
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
You're kidding, right?

I get the joke theres just some people in the thread that are believing it lol.

11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Bunch of suckers.

greg63
11-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Bunch of suckers.

CHENZ A!
11-30-2006, 01:31 AM
This was ****ing hilarious. LMAO "are you ready? Are you ready to give up 30 points a game?"

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I didn't know Vermeil was white. That just changes everything.

burt
11-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Dick vs Johnson: A pay per view event

Vince McMahon does the intro:

"In this corner, standing 6-foot-1 and weighing 230 pounds...you know him as Diaper Boy, The Centaur and the Man Beast....LARRY JOHNSON! He doesn't play for ****ing Penn State anymore!"

"In this corner, standing 5-foot-11 (damn Vermeil is TALL) and weighing 170 pounds....you know him as Weepin' Dick, The offensive guru, the sultan of no defense....DICK VERMEIL! You can't intercept a sack!"

Dick hobbles into the ring wearing dockers and a Chiefs turtleneck. His Rams championship ring is proudly displayed on his right ring finger.

Larry leaps over the ropes wearing a red and gold robe with huge amounts of bling around his neck.

Larry flashes the rockafella sign to the crowd. Dick starts to weep from the emotion of the moment, but grabs a diaper and throws it in Larry's face. This makes Larry mad and he is now pissed.

The two turn to face each other. Dick produces a bottle of 1978 Cabernet Sauvignon from behind his back. He takes a long swig and sets it down in the corner. Larry takes a long pull on a 40.

LJ circles his old coach and Dick furiously throws a haymaker at LJ, who dodges, sending Vermeil sprawling into the opposite corner via momentum.

Larry then spies the bottle of wine. He grabs it and turns around, only to be met by a flying judo-punch right into the face from Dick.

Dick plays to the crowd as LJ falls to the floor. Greg Robinson waves a sign that says "Float like a butterfly, sting like Bartee."

Larry gets to his feet fuming as Dick turns around to face him once again. LJ takes the bottle of wine and breaks it off on the edge of the ring.

The wine pours out to Dick's horror, who starts crying again. LJ walks forward, threatening Dick with the broken bottle.

Dick runs for the edge of the ring and gets out just as LJ takes a swipe at him with the bottle. He runs for the exit and Larry leaps over the ropes in pursuit. They run out into the dark night.

Wow, when did this happen? Can you post a video of this, I 'd like to see it......... Is Vermeil okay? :doh!: