PDA

View Full Version : Roughing the Passer

cdcox
12-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Interesting segment on NFL Network (the version that shows the extra games) on roughing the passer.

They showed a clip where a Green Bay player got a clean hit on Hasslebach, but was called for roughing the passer because he "drove the QB into the field". Basically he fell on him with his full weight. The hit was far less less brutal the way the Goose layed out Gannon in the playoffs a while back.

Then they showed two plays, one against Young and one against Roethlisberger, where the defenders had a strong hit on the QB, that they intentionally released thinking that the QB was going down and trying to avoid a penalty. In both cases, the QB kept his feet and got the pass off.

The penalty called against Denver for a blow to the head of Green was pretty weak too.

Can't hit the QB too high, can't hit the QB too low.

Something is going to have to change. The roughing the passing rule is screwing up the game.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
It's really ridiculous right now.

Basileus777
12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
A good start would be separating roughing the passer into 2 separate fouls, a 5 yard one (with no auto first down) and a 15 yard one.

noa
12-01-2006, 12:59 AM
On Inside the NFL, Bob Costas suggested have roughing the passer and running into the passer, just like how the rules work for punters. 15 yards for roughing, 5 yards for running into the passer. I think that could be a good solution and could give the officials some room for discretion.

Edit: Damnit, you beat me by two minutes there Basileus777

cdcox
12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
On the hit on Roethlisberger, the Browns guy hit him, then held up his hands, like "I didn't do it!" Pitiful.

Bugeater
12-01-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd just like to see some consistency in the calls.

cdcox
12-01-2006, 01:11 AM
The NFL has screwed this up before. Remember "in the grasp?" That year was a disaster.

Part of the problem is that QBs these days are built much differently than in days of yor. Guys like Young, Gerrard, Roethilsberger, McNabb, and Brooks are darn hard to get to the ground. Some of these guys can get hit full on and just shake off the tackle. You start handcuffing the pass rush and I'm not sure what you have left in terms of competitive balance between offense and defense.

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't like the "You can't even touch Manning or its a penalty" rule either.

Hootie
12-01-2006, 02:15 AM
A good start would be separating roughing the passer into 2 separate fouls, a 5 yard one (with no auto first down) and a 15 yard one.
I like this idea...a lot.

I also think something needs to be done about illegal contact.

Fairplay
12-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Use flags on the QB only. (Flag football rules apply only to the QB)

greg63
12-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Interesting segment on NFL Network (the version that shows the extra games) on roughing the passer.

They showed a clip where a Green Bay player got a clean hit on Hasslebach, but was called for roughing the passer because he "drove the QB into the field". Basically he fell on him with his full weight. The hit was far less less brutal the way the Goose layed out Gannon in the playoffs a while back.

Then they showed two plays, one against Young and one against Roethlisberger, where the defenders had a strong hit on the QB, that they intentionally released thinking that the QB was going down and trying to avoid a penalty. In both cases, the QB kept his feet and got the pass off.

The penalty called against Denver for a blow to the head of Green was pretty weak too.

Can't hit the QB too high, can't hit the QB too low.

Something is going to have to change. The roughing the passing rule is screwing up the game.
True; they strap on the pads and run out on the field like everyone else. However, if the hit Green took on day one been on Payton well then the league would have had to take action immediately.

Nelson Muntz
12-01-2006, 06:21 AM
True; they strap on the pads and run out on the field like everyone else. However, if the hit Green took on day one been on Payton well then the league would have had to take action immediately.

True. If someone had hit Peyton like that, that player most likely would have been fined and suspended before the next play. Sad, but true.

12-01-2006, 06:21 AM
He would have been ejected from the game before it even happened, for intent.

greg63
12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
True. If someone had hit Peyton like that, that player most likely would have been fined and suspended before the next play. Sad, but true.

Yep, and...

He would have been ejected from the game before it even happened, for intent.

yep!

OldTownChief
12-01-2006, 06:32 AM
It seems like the more judgment call the officials are allowed to make, the more pathetic they get.

Fairplay
12-01-2006, 06:34 AM
It seems like the more judgment call the officials are allowed to make, the more pathetic they get.

I think i would make a good official. :thumb:

FAX
12-01-2006, 06:42 AM

Agreed, Mr. OldTownChief. Plus, there are so many rules in the NFL now, the game is dangerously close to becomming over-legislated.

If this trend continues, Gloria Allred will be in the review booth.

FAX

KChiefer
12-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Just give the QBs a gun so they can protect themselves.

Seriously though, the calls in GBvsSEA and CINvsTB totally ruined those games. Yet officals stand by their calls.

greg63
12-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Agreed, Mr. OldTownChief. Plus, there are so many rules in the NFL now, the game is dangerously close to becomming over-legislated.

If this trend continues, Gloria Allred will be in the review booth.

FAX

I think Judge Judy should be in the review booth. :D

FAX
12-01-2006, 07:12 AM
I think Judge Judy should be in the review booth. :D

No way, Mr. greg63!!!

Ja-red would get the chair.

FAX

cadmonkey
12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
If I type to hard on my keyboard now I get called for roughing the passer.

Reerun_KC
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM

They would of cancelled the league until Manning was okay... Then they would of resumed play only with a 10 yard no enter zone around him.

Lzen
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM

If someone hit Peyton like that, he would be banned from the league forever and fined eleven billion dollars.

KCHawg
12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
If someone hit Peyton like that, he would be banned from the league forever and fined eleventy billion dollars.

FYP

Demonpenz
12-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I hope someone goes in like a bastard next time. I would like to see matthias take some mfer head off and finish the play

greg63
12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
They would of cancelled the league until Manning was okay... Then they would of resumed play only with a 10 yard no enter zone around him.
ROFL
...And upon further review simply proclaimed the Colts SB Champs and immediately inducted Manning into the Hall Of Fame along with his kid brother.