PDA

View Full Version : Spamming News For Mods and Morphius

12-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Charles Arthur
Thursday November 23, 2006
The Guardian

The other day, while administering the Free Our Data blog (freeourdata.org.uk/blog if you haven't stopped by yet), I came across an unusual piece of comment spam - a remark left on one of the blog posts. It was advertising a site offering share tips. No surprise there: "pump and dump" spam, as we've pointed out, has become a principal form of email spam, and spammers seem to have found that people are searching for share advice online (a worrying enough thought on its own).

Article continues
The surprise was that despite the automated defences to prevent such junk being posted by a machine, it had got through. The junk filter stops hundreds of such attempted spams daily without a murmur; so far it's stopped 10,000 spams while allowing 377 human comments. So why had this got through? The electronic trail explained: the "captcha" (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) had been filled in.

The captcha is the junk filter's last resort. Because it's easy and cheap to program machines to post any sort of junk on blogs, a captcha (which puts numbers or letters in an image, which a machine in theory can't read) shows whether you've got a real live person giving their thoughts, or just a dumb machine trying to up some spammer's search-engine ranking.

If the captcha was filled in, it must have been done by a person; if it had been done by a machine, the spammers would have cracked the problem of solving captchas and would be busily spamming every blog they could find.

So who had done this? The junk filter had recorded their IP (internet) address. It resolved to somewhere in India. Which rang a bell: earlier this year, I spoke with someone who does blog spamming for a living - a very comfortable living, he claimed. But he said that the one thing that did give him pause was the possibility that rival blog spammers might start paying people in developing countries to fill in captchas: they could always use a bit of western cash, would have the spare time and, increasingly, cheap internet connections to be able to do such tedious (but paid) work.

A few days later I read a stunning report by George Packer in the New Yorker magazine - regrettably, it's not online - about the sprawling mega- city of Lagos in Nigeria. It's the world's sixth largest city, and growing fast; the concept of urban planning has collapsed and life is eked out from the margins of existence. Corruption isn't an occasional hazard; it underpins a near-feudal society. While there, Packer was approached by one of his guides, who offered him the promise of riches looted from a despot; the classic Nigerian scam.

Packer declined politely, attaching no blame to his would-be scammer: "He would have been regarded locally as a fool if he hadn't tried to exploit [me]," he noted without rancour. Elsewhere this week, deliveries began of the hand-powered laptop, Nicholas Negroponte's computing gift to the developing world.

I've no doubt it will radically alter the life of many in the developing world for the better. I also expect that once a few have got into the hands of people aching to make a dollar, with time on their hands and an internet connection provided one way or another, we'll see a significant rise in captcha-solved spam. But, as my spammer contact pointed out, it's nothing personal. You have to understand: it's just business.

· In January I suggested that "spam has passed its peak". Oh well. I guess I'll have to sit in the corner with Bill Gates, who declared in January 2004 that "spam will be solved in two years". After you with the pointy-D hat, Bill.

ptlyon
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Speaking of spam? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Now that's what i call some quality Spam

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9811/13/review.waterboy/waterboy.jpg

12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Speaking of spam? :hmmm:
The link didn't work..I will try and copy paste..

Charles Arthur
Thursday November 23, 2006
The Guardian

The other day, while administering the Free Our Data blog (freeourdata.org.uk/blog if you haven't stopped by yet), I came across an unusual piece of comment spam - a remark left on one of the blog posts. It was advertising a site offering share tips. No surprise there: "pump and dump" spam, as we've pointed out, has become a principal form of email spam, and spammers seem to have found that people are searching for share advice online (a worrying enough thought on its own).

Article continues
The surprise was that despite the automated defences to prevent such junk being posted by a machine, it had got through. The junk filter stops hundreds of such attempted spams daily without a murmur; so far it's stopped 10,000 spams while allowing 377 human comments. So why had this got through? The electronic trail explained: the "captcha" (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) had been filled in.

The captcha is the junk filter's last resort. Because it's easy and cheap to program machines to post any sort of junk on blogs, a captcha (which puts numbers or letters in an image, which a machine in theory can't read) shows whether you've got a real live person giving their thoughts, or just a dumb machine trying to up some spammer's search-engine ranking.

If the captcha was filled in, it must have been done by a person; if it had been done by a machine, the spammers would have cracked the problem of solving captchas and would be busily spamming every blog they could find.

So who had done this? The junk filter had recorded their IP (internet) address. It resolved to somewhere in India. Which rang a bell: earlier this year, I spoke with someone who does blog spamming for a living - a very comfortable living, he claimed. But he said that the one thing that did give him pause was the possibility that rival blog spammers might start paying people in developing countries to fill in captchas: they could always use a bit of western cash, would have the spare time and, increasingly, cheap internet connections to be able to do such tedious (but paid) work.

A few days later I read a stunning report by George Packer in the New Yorker magazine - regrettably, it's not online - about the sprawling mega- city of Lagos in Nigeria. It's the world's sixth largest city, and growing fast; the concept of urban planning has collapsed and life is eked out from the margins of existence. Corruption isn't an occasional hazard; it underpins a near-feudal society. While there, Packer was approached by one of his guides, who offered him the promise of riches looted from a despot; the classic Nigerian scam.

Packer declined politely, attaching no blame to his would-be scammer: "He would have been regarded locally as a fool if he hadn't tried to exploit [me]," he noted without rancour. Elsewhere this week, deliveries began of the hand-powered laptop, Nicholas Negroponte's computing gift to the developing world.

I've no doubt it will radically alter the life of many in the developing world for the better. I also expect that once a few have got into the hands of people aching to make a dollar, with time on their hands and an internet connection provided one way or another, we'll see a significant rise in captcha-solved spam. But, as my spammer contact pointed out, it's nothing personal. You have to understand: it's just business.

· In January I suggested that "spam has passed its peak". Oh well. I guess I'll have to sit in the corner with Bill Gates, who declared in January 2004 that "spam will be solved in two years". After you with the pointy-D hat, Bill.

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
delete what? Shit, this will hit a hondo now.

12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Damn..

You people are ruthless and relentless LMAO

Give me a ****ing break :p

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
:harumph:

12-01-2006, 02:58 PM
:harumph:
:Bartee: :D

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Damn..

You people are ruthless and relentless LMAO

You went and ****ed it up, the delete thread had some potential. :eek:

htismaqe
12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't get it.

Maybe I should just ban Bill to be safe...

12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Everybody has off days....even me for example.. :doh!:

Lzen
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Ummm.....that's too long and I have a short attention span. Can you just give a brief summary?

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
yeppers ... by actually adding some content he completely screwed up.

ROFL

12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't get it.

Maybe I should just ban Bill to be safe...
Is that the ''legendary dry sense of humor of Mr. ismaque''???

12-01-2006, 03:04 PM

ROFL
AAAHHH..Planet pile on in full effect :wayne:

Lzen
12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Heh, it's a tradition around here. You gotta be quick with the content or you're fooked. I got the same crap yesterday. :shake:

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Heh, it's a tradition around here. You gotta be quick with the content or you're fooked. I got the same crap yesterday. :shake:

htismaqe
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM

ROFL

:clap:

ROFL

htismaqe
Is that the ''legendary dry sense of humor of Mr. ismaque''???

Dry? Why thank you.

Legendary? Don't kid yourself.

:thumb:

ptlyon

Hey, it's a material world and I'm a material girl.

Sincerely,
Robbie Hart

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM

ROFL

I am sure not going to read that novel he has up there now, you got any idea what is about? :spock:

Halfcan
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Ummm.....that's too long and I have a short attention span. Can you just give a brief summary?

Spam is bad.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I am sure not going to read that novel he has up there now, you got any idea what is about? :spock:
my eyes started to blur about paragraph 3 ......

but i thinks it's about the spammers coming up with a new way to spam message boards that bypasses the current spam guard tools.

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
my eyes started to blur about paragraph 3 ......

but i thinks it's about the spammers coming up with a new way to spam message boards that bypasses the current spam guard tools.

Thanks, he needed some pictures in there to break it up like this.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks, he needed some pictures in there to break it up like this.
hehe .... or this :p

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
hehe .... or this :p

This thread is getting its burst back

Mr. Laz
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
This thread is getting its burst back
regained it's "see" legs too