PDA

View Full Version : Dick's nightmare practices

Hammock Parties
12-01-2006, 10:52 PM
NFL Network is showing the Rams 99 season highlight tape. One of the things they talked about was Dick Vermeil's asskicking practice sessions.

The Rams players complained about them and they changed it up during '99. Lo and behold, the Rams win the Super Bowl.

As we know, Herm's practices are a little lighter. What effect has it had on the team this year?

HemiEd
12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I heard one of the key players from that team interviewed on Sirius today, said the players were all dog tired from the practices. They let Dick know it and he backed off. Can't remember the guys name.

Herm may have helped guys like Tony G. stay strong for the latter part of the season, I dunno.

CHENZ A!
12-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I remember Kevin Carter came out of the game when there was one play left in the SB. He was probably one of the whiners.

CoMoChief
12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
That 99 Rams team was a fluke. Totally benefitted from having the weakest schedule ever.

tk13
12-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Hopefully it's helping us right now. On the other hand maybe it had something to do with us coming out flat in the opener. Hard to say though.

CHENZ A!
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
I remember when Marty was coach, the big day in camp was when they'd do the Oklahoma drills, I wonder if anyone in the NFL does that anymore.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Hopefully it's helping us right now. On the other hand maybe it had something to do with us coming out flat in the opener. Hard to say though.

I thought it might have contributed to the rash of injuries we suffered. Also hard to say.

JBucc
12-01-2006, 11:20 PM
That 99 Rams team was a fluke. Totally benefitted from having the weakest schedule ever.Yeah...I wish we could be a fluke one of these years. *sigh*

CoMoChief
12-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah...I wish we could be a fluke one of these years. *sigh*
It'd be nice to win a SB in our lifetime, but the Rams that year didnt play well against decent teams.

They only played one team that whole regular season who had a winning record. People like to twist the fact that their defense was top 10. Well no shit they didnt play anyone that was worth a damn that year. Thats like saying we would be number 1 ranked defense if we played SF 16 times this season. 99 Fluke season for the Rams.

It just irritates the living hell out of me living in Columbia and having to hear Rams fans talk about how they think they were one of the greatest teams to step on the field.

KcMizzou
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah...I wish we could be a fluke one of these years. *sigh*This season isn't over... we're finally healthy and could get hot.

(not that I think it'd be a fluke)

tk13
12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
It'd be nice to win a SB in our lifetime, but the Rams that year didnt play well against decent teams.

They only played one team that whole regular season who had a winning record. People like to twist the fact that their defense was top 10. Well no shit they didnt play anyone that was worth a damn that year. Thats like saying we would be number 1 ranked defense if we played SF 16 times this season. 99 Fluke season for the Rams.

It just irritates the living hell out of me living in Columbia and having to hear Rams fans talk about how they think they were one of the greatest teams to step on the field.
They were definitely one of the luckiest Super Bowl teams in terms of schedule, but they did get it done when it counted in the playoffs. There are no cheap playoff victories. I guess they could've been like the Colts last year, cruised to homefield with an extremely weak schedule then choked it away in the playoffs.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I noticed Trent Greens shot was in there, was a late ass lookin hit

GROB
12-02-2006, 01:19 AM
That 99 Rams team was a fluke. Totally benefitted from having the weakest schedule ever.
You play who is on the schedule, bottom line is they got it done when it counted. Discredit them all you want but they beat who was out on the field challenging them.

CoMoChief
12-02-2006, 05:02 AM
You play who is on the schedule, bottom line is they got it done when it counted. Discredit them all you want but they beat who was out on the field challenging them.

Im not saying they didnt win anything. The team was a fluke.

Kerberos
12-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Dick's nightmare practices?

Wasn't DV a consultant to the 1980 US Olympic Hockey coach?

cdcox
12-02-2006, 08:01 AM
The story of the '99 Rams:

1) they were built to win on turf in a fair-weather environment. Under these conditions they were probably the best team in the league.

2) by combining their home wins and their easy wins against weak road opponents, they had HFA in the playoffs, which allowed them to win those games easily.

3) the SB was indoors that year, on turf

4) their offense was brand new and defenses had not had a chance to adjust to it yet.

They were a specialized team designed to win under specialized conditions, that fit perfectly with their circumstance. I don't think they would be able to beat a quality opponent in an outdoor game bad-weather game where real football is played.

Marcellus
12-02-2006, 08:12 AM
There are no cheap playoff victories. I guess they could've been like the Colts last year, cruised to homefield with an extremely weak schedule then choked it away in the playoffs.

I agree. They won in theplayoffs when they had to, something KC hasn't done in 12 years.

Also, the Ram's made it back to the SB and lost by a field goal as time expired to the almighty Patriots who are now "God" like.

NFL Network is doing a show on the top 20 SB Championship teams of all time. The Ram's came in at 19,so they are considered better than about 22 other Super Bowl teams.

I am not by any means a Ram apologist but I watched that team that season and they were a great team, plain and simple. Marshall Faulk was at his prime, Holt and Bruce playing well and they had a top 10 defense.

It really pissed me off to see STL win a SB, I was green with envy, but I don't try to cheapen their accomplishment. That was a damn fun team to watch until the hype went into overdrive and it got old listening to it.

Chiefnj
12-02-2006, 09:01 AM
I remember when Marty was coach, the big day in camp was when they'd do the Oklahoma drills, I wonder if anyone in the NFL does that anymore.

Del Rio of the Jags does it the first day of full pads. They let the fans on the field and let people get close to the drill to build up the hype.

It's a neat drill to watch, but a lot of it is hype. Despite having the label as being the dreaded Oklahoma drill, nobody has ever been injured from it. It's more of a pride drill.

GROB
12-02-2006, 10:42 AM

1) they were built to win on turf in a fair-weather environment. Under these conditions they were probably the best team in the league.

2) by combining their home wins and their easy wins against weak road opponents, they had HFA in the playoffs, which allowed them to win those games easily.

4) their offense was brand new and defenses had not had a chance to adjust to it yet.

They were a specialized team designed to win under specialized conditions, that fit perfectly with their circumstance. I don't think they would be able to beat a quality opponent in an outdoor game bad-weather game where real football is played.

Sounds like the colts these days, you are just bitter due to a transplant team that is in same state as KC win a SB even being a bottom feeder from the year before. Your argument is pretty weak as that team was pretty good and almost went to 3 straight SB's and went to 2 out of three. That's probably 2 more SB showings than KC has to show for in past 30 years so I guess I can see why you are bitter.

Deberg_1990
12-02-2006, 10:48 AM

Well said. It was just one of those years where all the "Stars aligned right" for them. They damn near got upset by a great Tampa defense that year. I beleive Herm was the Defensive coordinator??

IN fact, some believe if not for a flukey Shaun King play there at the end, Tampa might have won that game.

milkman
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Well said. It was just one of those years where all the "Stars aligned right" for them. They damn near got upset by a great Tampa defense that year. I beleive Herm was the Defensive coordinator??

IN fact, some believe if not for a flukey Shaun King play there at the end, Tampa might have won that game.

Hermie was the DB coach, I believe.

Monte Kiffin has been the DC for a long ass time (since '96) there.

GROB
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM

Winning SB takes a very good team, GOOD BREAKS, and a bit of luck. There isn't a team that hasn't got a bounce or two to fall their way on the way to a SB victory.

Deberg_1990
12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Hermie was the DB coach, I believe.

Monte Kiffin has been the DC for a long ass time (since '96) there.

Assist head coach/Defensive backs coach according to the KC Chiefs website.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/herman_edwards/

Its great to have a HC who had a big hand in building that great Tampa D. They were just dominating back in those days.

milkman
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Assist head coach/Defensive backs coach according to the KC Chiefs website.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/herman_edwards/

Its great to have a HC who had a big hand in building that great Tampa D. They were just dominating back in those days.

Monte Kiffin was the architect of that D.

Hermie learned from the best.

Frazod
12-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Winning SB takes a very good team, GOOD BREAKS, and a bit of luck. There isn't a team that hasn't got a bounce or two to fall their way on the way to a SB victory.

A little thin air and cooking spray helps too.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2006, 11:40 AM

Not to mention a little a Elvis Grbac.

GROB
12-02-2006, 11:42 AM
1st superbowl only one game was played in Denver. Next year Denver was clearly the best team in football going 13-0 to start the season. The break they got was Marty playing Grbac, would Gannon have been enough? Who knows I know I was glad he wasn't playing.

Frazod
12-02-2006, 11:48 AM
1st superbowl only one game was played in Denver. Next year Denver was clearly the best team in football going 13-0 to start the season. The break they got was Marty playing Grbac, would Gannon have been enough? Who knows I know I was glad he wasn't playing.

"1st" superbowl? Seems like Denver played in four earlier Super Bowls. Funny how you guys never talk about the ones that came before the days of illegal foreign substances on uniforms and chop blocks.

Hootie
12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
LMAO

GROB
12-02-2006, 11:59 AM
"1st" superbowl? Seems like Denver played in four earlier Super Bowls. Funny how you guys never talk about the ones that came before the days of illegal foreign substances on uniforms and chop blocks.
Well since you have only seen KC play in one SB and probably weren't old enough to remember it and appreciate it. But you have seen denver play in 6 superbowls and you got to watch all of us fans celebrate and rub it in and that's why you chef fans hate denver so much. Then we happened to win the 2nd, icing on the cake. The 3 blowout losses, Denver only had a chance against Washington because the 86 giants, and 89 niners(possibly best team ever) are considered among best teams ever. You can continue to discredit and make excuses because that is Kansas City Chiefs football fan logic.

Frazod
12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Well since you have only seen KC play in one SB and probably weren't old enough to remember it and appreciate it. But you have seen denver play in 6 superbowls and you got to watch all of us fans celebrate and rub it in and that's why you chef fans hate denver so much. Then we happened to win the 2nd, icing on the cake. The 3 blowout losses, Denver only had a chance against Washington because the 86 giants, and 89 niners(possibly best team ever) are considered among best teams ever. You can continue to discredit and make excuses because that is Kansas City Chiefs football fan logic.

Denver had one true SB team. In '97 you blatantly cheated to advance, and in the years before that, you were exposed as frauds and humiliated as soon as you came down to play good teams at sea level. If only you could pack up that thin air and bring it with you on the road.

WilliamTheIrish
12-02-2006, 12:04 PM

Just a total fluke. That won it all. And then returned the SB a year later. That they lost on game ending FG.

Yea. Total fluke.

Frazod
12-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Just a total fluke. That won it all. And then returned the SB a year later. That they lost on game ending FG.

Yea. Total fluke.

I did enjoy it when we pounded the hell out of them six months later.

WilliamTheIrish
12-02-2006, 12:07 PM

I love the way frazod just owns weak donx trolls. To the point that they come over here to prove they were worthy of winning.

Amazing that after this much time, it still works.

Frazod
12-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I love the way frazod just owns weak donx trolls. To the point that they come over here to prove they were worthy of winning.

Amazing that after this much time, it still works.

It amazes me that they continue to come over here thinking they can ever get us to respect them. A team that enjoys the most unfair natural advantage in sports, won't admit it, and then cheats on top of it. Yeah, hey, what's not to love? :shake:

FringeNC
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Regarding getting scheduling breaks, getting to play the NFC West is a huge boon. Also, to a lesser extent, playing the NFC North. It'll be hard to be a wildcard team in the AFC is you have to play the NFC South or NFC East.

It seems like in recent years, there is always at least one terrible division in the NFC and the AFC division lucky enough to play that division probably gets the wildcards.