PDA

View Full Version : I know we're all homers, but... (Hali)

cmh6476
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
think he's the leading candidate for defensive ROY, or do you think a guy like Dawan Landry is currently the front-runner? :shrug:

Crush
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I actually think Hali has a shot, especially if we make the playoffs.

milkman
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Unless Hali winds up with eye popping sack numbers, I think his chances are slim, at best.

He needs to get about 8 more sacks in the last 5 games to have a shot.

Hammock Parties
12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
With the way the nfl loves the coastal teams and whatnot, i really dont think he will get it because his sacks arent around 10... He'd have to be extra spectacular to get it...

Mr. Laz
12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
prolly not ..... just because it will go by his sack total and not much else.

but clearly Hali makes a huge difference for our defense.

Bob Dole
12-02-2006, 11:26 AM
No chance.

http://www.nfl.com/rookies/stats

RINGLEADER
12-02-2006, 12:31 PM
If Jared Allen can't get it with 11 sacks in half a season I doubt Hali can with fewer sacks in a full season.

StcChief
12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
His last games have to be huge.

A big one in Cleveland to get his stats numbers up.... would help a lot.

cmh6476
12-02-2006, 01:10 PM
he really has been the facot IMO that has turned the defense around.

The LBs were good, and we had Allen on one in. But he has come in and made his presence felt on the other side of our line, something Hicks just couldn't do.

I think he's the real reason our defense is so much improved from just a year ago.

L.A. Chieffan
12-02-2006, 01:12 PM
do you think if we tell everybody that Hicks used to be he starter there, people might understand what a great job he's been doing?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
The east coast bias thing in sports has always been around, but moreso the past 5-7 years than ever, IMO.

shaneo69
12-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Kiwanuka or Lawson will probably win it.

Chiefaholic
12-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Hali looks to be a great pickup in a spot that was a major weakness. But, to be honest, the two leading canidates should be Joseph
Addai and Marques Colston. Just judging from stats alone, these two have been major contributers to their respective teams and will likely earn the honor.

morphius
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
No possible way. He has been good, but there are others putting up better stats.

Brock
12-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Hali looks to be a great pickup in a spot that was a major weakness. But, to be honest, the two leading canidates should be Joseph
Addai and Marques Colston. Just judging from stats alone, these two have been major contributers to their respective teams and will likely earn the honor.

Addai and Colston aren't eligible for DROY, as far as I know.

milkman
12-02-2006, 01:30 PM

Addai and Colston play defense, also?

morphius
12-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Addai and Colston play defense, also?
The best D is a good O?

milkman
12-02-2006, 01:34 PM
he really has been the facot IMO that has turned the defense around.

The LBs were good, and we had Allen on one in. But he has come in and made his presence felt on the other side of our line, something Hicks just couldn't do.

I think he's the real reason our defense is so much improved from just a year ago.

Facot?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-02-2006, 01:35 PM
The best D is a good O?

Not according to anyone associated with the Chiefs from 01-05.

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I hope he doesn't get it......which he probably won't

God knows we don't need another *gasp* Kendrell Bell on the team.....

:doh!:

I kid, I kid..........

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Seriously, he's been a huge part of this defense's revival.

I KNOW this guy has way too much pride to win a DROY and then fall off the face of the earth like a certain #99 did......

Now if we can just get a DT in next years draft.......

Thig Lyfe
12-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Kiwanuka or Lawson will probably win it.

Even after letting Vince Young go free like that?

I think Hali ought to win it, because I see him as the rookie who has made the most impact on his team. Sometimes that can't be measured purely by individual stats. Hali brings another dimension to the team. Offenses can't run outside because Hali and Allen are on either side waiting for the ballcarrier, and they can't hold on to the ball for more than a second because Hali and Allen are coming for them like a trash compactor.

Before this year you could always just bootleg over on Hicks' side. Can't do that anymore.

milkman
12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Even after letting Vince Young go free like that?

I think Hali ought to win it, because I see him as the rookie who has made the most impact on his team. Sometimes that can't be measured purely by individual stats. Hali brings another dimension to the team. Offenses can't run outside because Hali and Allen are on either side waiting for the ballcarrier, and they can't hold on to the ball for more than a second because Hali and Allen are coming for them like a trash compactor.

Before this year you could always just bootleg over on Hicks' side. Can't do that anymore.

We as Chiefs fans have seen and understand the impact that Hali has had on this defense, but the national media buys into the the hype that other rookies receive, and the stats.

PastorMikH
12-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Unless Hali winds up with eye popping sack numbers, I think his chances are slim, at best.

He needs to get about 8 more sacks in the last 5 games to have a shot.

Hali has 5.5 sacks now with 5 games left. He's got 4.5 sacks left to tie DT for # of sacks in a rookie year.

I haven't looked lately, but mid-season Hali was having more impact than all but 1 or 2 of the first round picks from this year's draft.

milkman
12-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Hali has 5.5 sacks now with 5 games left. He's got 4.5 sacks left to tie DT for # of sacks in a rookie year.

I haven't looked lately, but mid-season Hali was having more impact than all but 1 or 2 of the first round picks from this year's draft.

Again, you and I understand what Tamba has mean't to this defense.

Even should he finish with fewer than 10 sacks, his overall play and infusion of energy has raised the energy level of the entire defense.

But the fact remains, the national pinheads that vote will likely not see it the same as we do.

It's why I don't put much stock into these awards.

PastorMikH
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Again, you and I understand what Tamba has mean't to this defense.

Even should he finish with fewer than 10 sacks, his overall play and infusion of energy has raised the energy level of the entire defense.

But the fact remains, the national pinheads that vote will likely not see it the same as we do.

It's why I don't put much stock into these awards.

I really don't care what they think about him. The fact that he's a Chiefs means he probably has a couple of points against him already in the NFL.

What I do care about is that he has made a bigger contribution to this D than any player in their rookie season since DT. I'm looking forward to watching him in the years ahead as he gets more acclimated to the NFL. He won't hit his peak for another 2-4 years. When he does, he'll get plenty of recognition.

milkman
12-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I really don't care what they think about him. The fact that he's a Chiefs means he probably has a couple of points against him already in the NFL.

What I do care about is that he has made a bigger contribution to this D than any player in their rookie season since DT. I'm looking forward to watching him in the years ahead as he gets more acclimated to the NFL. He won't hit his peak for another 2-4 years. When he does, he'll get plenty of recognition.

Then we're debating a non-issue.

The post that you quoted was just my view of what I thought it would take for Tamba to gain some national recognition, not how I view his impact.

PastorMikH
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Then we're debating a non-issue.

The post that you quoted was just my view of what I thought it would take for Tamba to gain some national recognition, not how I view his impact.

He deserves it. If Hali were playing for the Colts or Patriots, he'd already have done enough. The fact that he's playing for the Chiefs makes it a lot tougher. And part of the difference he's made may be written off by the NFL as the change in coaching.

The fact that he displaced a 6-7 year starter in TC and that he has stepped in and played better then half the DEs in the league should speak well enough but it probably won't.

Adept Havelock
12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I think Hali deserves serious consideration for it. His play, combined with JA's is one reason our DT play seems so improved, even when Ryan "Boo-hoo" Sims is in there.

milkman
12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
He deserves it. If Hali were playing for the Colts or Patriots, he'd already have done enough. The fact that he's playing for the Chiefs makes it a lot tougher. And part of the difference he's made may be written off by the NFL as the change in coaching.

The fact that he displaced a 6-7 year starter in TC and that he has stepped in and played better then half the DEs in the league should speak well enough but it probably won't.

Again, the very reason I don't put much stock into these awards.

icepick64
12-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I would think AJ Hawk would be the leading candidate. He's won rookie of the week twice, and is 7th in the league in tackles.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
I would think AJ Hawk would be the leading candidate. He's won rookie of the week twice, and is 7th in the league in tackles.
a green bay fan, i take?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hali has gotten pretty good pub from some of the guys on ESPN...he also has 5 FF, which is insane. If he ends up with 9-10 sacks and 6 FF, it would be a fairly impressive resume. Whether or not he wins it is really irrelevant, although it would be a nice thing for a class guy such as him.

GROB
12-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Agreed, even Mario Williams is getting some sacks and if he gets to 10 he could push since it is a popularity contest.

Lonewolf Ed
12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I agree with everyone who thinks Hali would have to get at least 5 or 6 more sacks by season's end to get any real consideration as the DROY. As it is, the most I think he will get is Chiefs ROY. He's a lock for that one, unless Page makes a few more INTS in the endzone to win games like he did against the Raiders.

icepick64
12-02-2006, 08:32 PM
a green bay fan, i take?

Nope huge chiefs fan, just being objective