PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER- A good time for a stand

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2006, 03:13 AM
A good time for a stand
The Chiefs defense can leave an impression with a dominant performance against the Browns.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

It’s 11 games into the Herm Edwards era, and we’re still waiting for that first signature defensive game that a union between Edwards and Gunther Cunningham should generate.

Sure, there was that shutout of the then-forlorn 49ers when the season was young, but we’re talking something bigger.

We’re talking about the kind of game that gets people talking, the kind that happens in a playoff push, that makes a statement to future opponents.

The kind the Chiefs could easily get today against the Browns in Cleveland.

The Chiefs have played against a series of offensively challenged opponents in the Dolphins, Raiders and Broncos. All are among the league’s lowest-scoring teams, yet the Chiefs weren’t able to quite choke the life out of any of them.

None of the other recent opponents is as deficient as the Browns. Cleveland has trouble running the ball, throwing it and putting it in the end zone. The Browns are next to last in the league in turnovers and sacks allowed.

In short, Cleveland, which is coming off a shutout loss to the Bengals, is a perfect opponent against which the Chiefs can leave an indelible mark.

“If you can just shut them down on the run and the pass and just do it all, those games are good to have because you gain confidence,” Edwards said. “You’re always looking for that every week defensively, and the more you do it, the more of a mind-set it becomes.”

The Chiefs might want to make that statement today. Their next two opponents are the Ravens and the Chargers. Both entered the week in the top 10 in scoring.

The Chiefs haven’t exactly been pushovers in recent weeks. They’ve been remarkably consistent, allowing no more than 17 points in a game during November — or more than 13 in the last three weeks.

“I think it has been 17, 13, 13 and 10, so that’s a pretty good clip of not allowing the opponents to score, and you’ve got to do that,” Edwards said. “They have done it on the road, too, which is good. They have to continue to do that.”

Statistically, the Chiefs are average, ranking about in the middle of the league against the run and pass and in total yardage.

But most important, they have climbed into the top 10 in fewest points allowed. The Chiefs are ninth, yielding about 18 1/2 points per game.

“You don’t see them giving up many big plays,” Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. “The yardage a team gets on them, they have to work for it. That’s the way (Herm) wants it, to make them work and have to run play after play after play and not give them the easy stuff.

“You look at them and wonder how you can run the ball on them. They’re giving up 100 yards a game, but you don’t see teams gaining easy yards. They’re all hard yards. In the passing game, you see short to intermediate throws. You don’t see those throws going over the top and guys getting beat for long touchdowns. So you know that defense is working well together and they’ll give up some short stuff, but they’re not going to give up the big stuff.”

The Chiefs have cut down on the number of big plays they’ve allowed, particularly runs. That may have more to do with the quality of recent opponents than any defensive breakthrough they might have made.

“We’re not looking for a breakout game,” defensive end Tamba Hali said. “We can’t go in thinking we’re going to shut everyone out. We’re just looking to get better. If we play our kind of football, those things take care of themselves.

“It’s the part of the season where a lot of guys are feeling good about what they’re supposed to do. So we could be ready to take the next step up. What we’ve done is kept ourselves in a position to win some games. I think that’s what all great defenses do.”

Edwards would prefer more. He wants the Chiefs to force more turnovers (they’re about average in that category) and score some points (they don’t have a defensive touchdown or a safety).

The pass rush still runs hot and cold. Tackling is occasionally spotty. Third-down defense has been far less than dominant.

They could get well in all of those areas against the Browns.

“There are still some things we have to work on,” Edwards said. “Third and 8 and third and 6 have not been very good. People have converted too many passes on that down.

“We have done a pretty good job against the run, for the most part. We’ve given up some touchdowns in the red zone in our goal-line defense, which we need to improve on.

“The thing that I would like to see more of is that we don’t have a lot of interceptions. We need to get our hands on more balls. We need to take the ball away.

“We haven’t scored on defense, either, so there are some things that we still have to do if we’re going to be one of those top defenses. Those are the types of things that make you really good.”

Bob Dole
12-03-2006, 03:23 AM
“The thing that I would like to see more of is that we don’t have a lot of interceptions. We need to get our hands on more balls. We need to take the ball away.

We just need to hang on to the damned thing when we do get our hands on it. Bob Dole can think of at least 5 should-be interceptions that we dropped.

“There are still some things we have to work on,” Edwards said. “Third and 8 and third and 6 have not been very good. People have converted too many passes on that down.

It's gotten to the point that Bob Dole would rather see a 3rd and 2 or 3, than a 3rd and long.

thepascalblaze
12-03-2006, 03:51 AM
I guess I really believe in Herm. DV seemed to use a lot of the same kind of lingo, but Herm seems to be more honest about where we are. He has yet to say to the media "This is the best football team I have ever fielded." DV seemed to say that a few times a year, as if he was trying to convince someone, possibly his team through some sort of media trickle-back.

Maybe DV was from some by-gone era where caoches could wring out results by convincing a squad they were good in spite of what was observable in reality. It is possible, and every coach does it to some extent I'm sure.

Using the small bits of progress effectively week after week without letting fantasy come in and cause that disturbing bite from reality that derails the train may be what sets good coaching from bad.

Herm got by the Steelers debacle by telling the team "I don't know who that was out there today, but it wasn't my team. Did you have your cousins come play for you? I want my team back at practice this weak."... or something to that effect.

Whatever it was, it worked. They went back to work and picked up where they left off. Progress continued. We are where we are. It feels more real to me as a fan, in spite of the fact that I am stressed 'til the last second ticks off the clock... then again, without that stress, game after game, it wouldn't be a modern day Chiefs season, heretofore ending in heartbreak...

...emotions aside, this year seems different...

as have others.

Redcoats58
12-03-2006, 04:10 AM
I guess I really believe in Herm. DV seemed to use a lot of the same kind of lingo, but Herm seems to be more honest about where we are. He has yet to say to the media "This is the best football team I have ever fielded." DV seemed to say that a few times a year, as if he was trying to convince someone, possibly his team through some sort of media trickle-back.

Maybe DV was from some by-gone era where caoches could wring out results by convincing a squad they were good in spite of what was observable in reality. It is possible, and every coach does it to some extent I'm sure.

Using the small bits of progress effectively week after week without letting fantasy come in and cause that disturbing bite from reality that derails the train may be what sets good coaching from bad.

Herm got by the Steelers debacle by telling the team "I don't know who that was out there today, but it wasn't my team. Did you have your cousins come play for you? I want my team back at practice this weak."... or something to that effect.

Whatever it was, it worked. They went back to work and picked up where they left off. Progress continued. We are where we are. It feels more real to me as a fan, in spite of the fact that I am stressed 'til the last second ticks off the clock... then again, without that stress, game after game, it wouldn't be a modern day Chiefs season, heretofore ending in heartbreak...

...emotions aside, this year seems different...

as have others.

I agree there is something different about the Chiefs this year. I used to worry about them giving away games at the end. Herm has made me a believer. He seems to know exactly what the team needs to work on and tries to knock out those problems. Vermeil would just throw out 800 stats and excuses about the defense and nothing would ever change.

MichaelH
12-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I agree there is something different about the Chiefs this year. I used to worry about them giving away games at the end. Herm has made me a believer. He seems to know exactly what the team needs to work on and tries to knock out those problems. Vermeil would just throw out 800 stats and excuses about the defense and nothing would ever change.

Very well said. I agree 100%. I still don't have complete confidence in the defense, especially on the road, but they're not losing the games anymore. Herm has made them tough and respectable again after DV made them a mockery.

siberian khatru
12-03-2006, 09:52 AM
This should be a W if we:

* Don't play soft on 3rd down.
* Don't give up big plays
* Don't turn the ball over on offense

My nightmare scenario:

* We make Frye look like a QB
* Edwards/Winslow/Northcutt get 3-4 plays of 30 yards or more.
* The Chiefs are flat and Trent throws a couple of picks and/or LJ coughs up the ball in bad situations (deep in our own territory or in the red zone).

StcChief
12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Ball control/clock control

Solid D, a pick 6 early to fire 'em. Take crowd out out.

No mistakes.

RINGLEADER
12-03-2006, 10:35 AM

LOL...Dick would sit up and say "on third down at that distance, on the road, you only have an X% chance of converting. I like stats more than most but DV seemed to be governed by them and - sometimes - just seemed to lose interest when the odds were against him.