PDA

View Full Version : Get younger, get faster

CupidStunt
12-04-2006, 07:29 AM
IMO we need an infusion of speed. Page and Hali are evidence of what it can do; we need more of it.

Cut Hicks, Bell, Wesley.

Start Fox, a first-round DT, Page and Pollard.

Draft a corner who can work into the rotation to gradually replace Stonehands, Slippy and Burnt24/7.

Starting defense:

Hali
Reed? (ideally he'd be backing someone up but I don't see who)
1st rounder
Allen
Fox
Mitchell? (I pray we don't pay this guy long-term and I can't see him getting a short deal)
DJ
Law (for now)
Page
Pollard
Surtain (for now)

It'd be f*cking awesome if we could grab a DeMeco Ryans or Kirk Morrison type in the second- or third-round who will step up and be a young LEADER for our defense.

Pipe dream, I know. Any young and quick free agents out there worth going after?

SDChief
12-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Im not sure about next year right now, but I say get Wesley out of there and insert Page. Wesley hasn't made a hit since Gunther was a head coach. He was ran over yesterday by a third string, no-name QB from one of the worst teams in the league, and he sucks in coverage. Not that the whole loss was on him, but the first td and qb scramble really showed how bad he is.

StcChief
12-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Wesley's last big hit was vs. Rams Curtis on a meaningless last play of game.

Hootie
12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Wesley's last big hit was vs. Rams Curtis on a meaningless last play of game.
would it break your heart if I told you that was Sammy Knight who delivered the hit?

kepp
12-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Im not sure about next year right now, but I say get Wesley out of there and insert Page. Wesley hasn't made a hit since Gunther was a head coach. He was ran over yesterday by a third string, no-name QB from one of the worst teams in the league, and he sucks in coverage. Not that the whole loss was on him, but the first td and qb scramble really showed how bad he is.
Someone needs to photoshop a picture of our defense chasing Forrest Gump down the road.

donkhater
12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I know many on this board don't think so, but linebacker is still one of the weak points on this team. DJ is the only impact player at that position worth breaking the bank to keep. Mitchell, Fox and Bell are all average at best.

What's really sad is that they are light-years better than what we had early in the DV era, which is why most people think they are a solid unit.

But think about how this team gets beat on defense. For the most part, they don't get beat deep much (i.e. the safeties and CBs are doing a pretty good job), but get killed on miss-direction (still), short routes and aren't exactly stellar vs the run (although better DT's would help).

Oh, and the tackling still needs work. Yikes