PDA

View Full Version : Burgos likely heading to Mets

The Bad Guy
12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Can any Royals fans give me any info on Burgos?

I know he's 22 and throwns hard.

In return, Royals would get Brian Bannister.

PinkFloyd
12-05-2006, 07:47 PM

When he's on --- he's on... Throws pretty hard and sometimes gets alittle to anxious, which in turn makes him kinda wild... He had his good moments last year, and also had his bad times...

He'll do well with the Mets, due to the fact that every player the Royals get rid of turns into an All Star...

nychief
12-05-2006, 07:49 PM
were is this being reported?

CoMoChief
12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Throws very hard and very wild. Mike McDougal part II

chiefsfan987
12-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Just one of many Royals pitchers throughout the last decade and a half who have "stuff" but zero command.

The Bad Guy
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
were is this being reported?

NYPost.

I like the deal from a Mets perspective. Bannister was just going to be a AAA pitcher. They needed middle relief help with Bradford gone.

If he's got stuff and is wild, Rick Peterson will fix him.

noa
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
How many games did he blow for us last year? I ran out of fingers.

KevB
12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
There are a million rumors floated right now, with the winter meetings taking place. I would be surprised if this deal went down. Burgos is a cheap 22 year old with an electric arm. Wild, certainly, but these guys do not grow on trees.

doomy3
12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
How is Bannister? Starter or reliever? Any info?

nychief
12-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Throws very hard and very wild. Mike McDougal part II

I watched him pitch this year - I didn't think he threw too hard or had bad control.

He is Floyd Bannister's kid. 22 yrs old. He was doing great till he hurt his hamstring running the bases and went down hill.

nychief
12-05-2006, 08:29 PM
How is Bannister? Starter or reliever? Any info?

starter.

nychief
12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Mets, seeking to bolster their bullpen with a young power arm, are closing in on a trade in which they would land right-hander Ambiorix Burgos from the Royals for a pitching prospect, FOXSports.com has learned.

Burgos, 22, was 4-5 with a 5.52 ERA last season for the Royals in 73 1/3 innings. He had greater success as a rookie in 2005, going 3-5 with a 3.98 ERA in 63 1/3 innings.

The Mets recently suffered two defections from their bullpen, losing free-agent right-hander Chad Bradford to the Orioles and free-agent right-hander Roberto Hernandez to the Indians. A third reliever, right-hander Duaner Sanchez, is coming off surgery to repair a separated right shoulder.

Sure-Oz
12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
wtf has brian bannister done?? why would give up an arm like burgos?? 22 years old, id rather keep him personally.

nychief
12-05-2006, 10:46 PM
wtf has brian bannister done?? why would give up an arm like burgos?? 22 years old, id rather keep him personally.

he is a young starting pitcher. Burgos had one of the worst season for a RP in the HISTORY of baseball last year.

Reaper16
12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Deal Done (sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/12/05/meetings.notes/index.html)

CoMoChief
12-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I watched him pitch this year - I didn't think he threw too hard or had bad control.

He is Floyd Bannister's kid. 22 yrs old. He was doing great till he hurt his hamstring running the bases and went down hill.

You werent watching the same pitcher then. Burgos was wild as hell and can throw around 100mph.

Reaper16
12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Burgos' problem isn't so much control, actually. It's the fact that he has two pitches. He has a blazing fastball -- 99 to 100 mph no problem. It just happens to be arrow straight most of the time. His rookie year, he used his splitter as an out pitch. It's nasty, but he has almost no control over it. Batters adjusted to Burgos by just not swinging at the splitter; its never in teh zone anyway. If Burgos had a change up or some kind of off speed/breaking ball that he could locate in the strike zone, then he'd be nigh unhittable.

HolmeZz
12-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Brian Bannister sucks. He's got an 89 MPH fastball, no movement, no other secondary pitches, and really not much upside.

And he's not 22, he's 26.

CoMoChief
12-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Burgos' problem isn't so much control, actually. It's the fact that he has two pitches. He has a blazing fastball -- 99 to 100 mph no problem. It just happens to be arrow straight most of the time. His rookie year, he used his splitter as an out pitch. It's nasty, but he has almost no control over it. Batters adjusted to Burgos by just not swinging at the splitter; its never in teh zone anyway. If Burgos had a change up or some kind of off speed/breaking ball that he could locate in the strike zone, then he'd be nigh unhittable.

:spock: Uhh but you're saying control isn't the problem?!?! Sounds like you're flip floppin a lil bit.

Not to be an ass, but im just sayin' :)

tk13
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM
This pretty much sums up the differences between the Moore and Baird eras. Baird was all about the power bullpen, Moore wants the 5 best pitchers to be the 5 starters. Also, it seems Dayton is pretty high on guys like Ryan Braun, Leo Nunez, etc.

Is kinda tough to see Burgos go, because his stuff is so nasty and he was really rushed, but on the other hand I've always agreed more with the Braves philosophy, starting pitching is the big key, and relievers are interchangable. Of course with a good bullpen the Royals might have actually won 70 games last year. Supposedly we're pushing hard for Octavio Dotel, and we're probably going to wildly overpay either Miguel Batista or Gil Meche to come here, so I think the pitching staff is going to look completely different next year. As it probably should.

CoMoChief
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
We need starting pitching. And I dont think Redman is the key either. As of now whats our starting rotation like?

thedude
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Its a long time coming baby. If we can pull meche. mark 75 wins in the bag. at least.

tk13
12-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Its a long time coming baby. If we can pull meche. mark 75 wins in the bag. at least.
Supposedly they're reporting Meche's whittled his choices down the Blue Jays, Cubs, and Royals... and I wouldn't be surprised if we're offering him the biggest contract. It's just does he want to come to KC.

thedude
12-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Supposedly they're reporting Meche's whittled his choices down the Blue Jays, Cubs, and Royals... and I wouldn't be surprised if we're offering him the biggest contract. It's just does he want to come to KC.

Rumor has it, hes an incredibly shy person, dislikes the limelight and is just a real laid back dude. Barry Zito on valium. I would be happier than hell if we got this guy. Plus there is a reasonable chance he would come here too.

tk13
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Odalis Perez, Luke Hudson, Jorge De La Rosa, Zack Greinke, Runelvys Hernandez, Brian Bannister... those look like the 6 favorites at this point, obviously with injuries that could change.

Plus it appears they're pushing really hard to sign Miguel Batista or Gil Meche as a veteran starter. They're going to completely overpay to get them here, but one of those guys might get thrown in the mix.

nychief
12-05-2006, 11:37 PM
You werent watching the same pitcher then. Burgos was wild as hell and can throw around 100mph.

I was talking about Bannister not Burgos.

Reaper16
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
:spock: Uhh but you're saying control isn't the problem?!?! Sounds like you're flip floppin a lil bit.

Not to be an ass, but im just sayin' :)
Maybe I should have connected the dots with neon sharpie.

The fact that he can't locate his splitter isn't the problem. That pitch is supposed to be that way. The problem is that he only has one other pitch he can locate -- his fastball. Its either no-movement fastball, or no strike-zone splitter. Given those choices, batters will just wait for the fast ball. If he had a third pitch, a 2nd one able to be thrown for a strike, it's help him out a lot.

So, no, controlling the split-fingered pitch isn't his problem. Lack of a third pitch is.

Sure-Oz
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I trust what Moore wants to do, we'll see what happens.

Ultra Peanut
12-05-2006, 11:53 PM
plays ball the right way
built like the batboy
little league lightweight
throws a baseball as if he were heaving a javelin
certified shrimp
sawed-off leadoff man
pestering presence
nothing fancy
maximum effort
enviable efficiency
gritty little gamer
inspiration
more ambition than aptitude
University of Florida walk-on
"man of iron"
no one would ever mistake Burgos for a superstar
small ball
continues to crowd the plate despite accumulated bruises
seafood motif

Eleazar
12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I always wanted to root for Burgos. He got thrown in above his level before he was ready. Seems like a raw talent guy that we hadn't had time to figure out yet.

Boris The Great
12-06-2006, 12:15 AM
The Pope could give a speech at Kauffman Stadium and he wouldn't make as many people stand up and say "JESUS CHRIST" as Burgos The Save Killer did this past season.

Archie Bunker
12-06-2006, 12:18 AM
This move could help the rotation, so Im all for it. Plus if the Brown for Rodrigo Lopez deal goes through it gives the Royals a few decent options for the rotation.

KevB
12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
This move could help the rotation, so Im all for it. Plus if the Brown for Rodrigo Lopez deal goes through it gives the Royals a few decent options for the rotation.

It's amazing that we're semi-excited about trading for Rodrigo Lopez. The guy is terrible....but, he's an upgrade and gives us options.

On Burgos, I don't think I like this trade at all. Not so much because I love Burgos, and don't want to trade him. My issue is that a young 22 year old reliever with a laser rocket arm should fetch more in today's market. Anybody remember Gary Majewski and a young lefty (brain isn't working at 1:00 am) for Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns? Relievers are extremely valuable these days. Me thinks we should have gotten more than an unproven, soft tossing 26 year old starter.

Demonpenz
12-06-2006, 01:12 AM
sppt

CHENZ A!
12-06-2006, 03:07 AM
I always wanted to root for Burgos. He got thrown in above his level before he was ready. Seems like a raw talent guy that we hadn't had time to figure out yet.

took the words right out of my mouth.

"ROMPE!"

PinkFloyd
12-06-2006, 06:06 AM
We need starting pitching. And I dont think Redman is the key either. As of now whats our starting rotation like?

And Redman's fastball was clocked at 42 mph also !!!

ROFL

siberian khatru
12-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I trust what Moore wants to do, we'll see what happens.

I'm trying to tell myself that ... but I don't want to give up on Burgos yet. Just have to cross my fingers, I guess.

siberian khatru
12-06-2006, 07:20 AM
This pretty much sums up the differences between the Moore and Baird eras. Baird was all about the power bullpen, Moore wants the 5 best pitchers to be the 5 starters. Also, it seems Dayton is pretty high on guys like Ryan Braun, Leo Nunez, etc.

Is kinda tough to see Burgos go, because his stuff is so nasty and he was really rushed, but on the other hand I've always agreed more with the Braves philosophy, starting pitching is the big key, and relievers are interchangable. Of course with a good bullpen the Royals might have actually won 70 games last year. Supposedly we're pushing hard for Octavio Dotel, and we're probably going to wildly overpay either Miguel Batista or Gil Meche to come here, so I think the pitching staff is going to look completely different next year. As it probably should.

Where have you seen the Dotel rumor? He was a guy I figured we'd go after, take a chance on his arm, maybe get him at or slightly below market because of his health, but I don't remember seeing us mentioned in the hunt. I'm glad you've seen something. That makes me feel better.

cookster50
12-06-2006, 07:22 AM
First trade that of Moore's that on paper looks like crap. Time will tell I guess, but no one I've ever read has been high on Bannister.

KevB
12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
First trade that of Moore's that on paper looks like crap. Time will tell I guess, but no one I've ever read has been high on Bannister.

I would say the Gathright trade looked pretty shaky on paper as well.

CHENZ A!
12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Where have you seen the Dotel rumor? He was a guy I figured we'd go after, take a chance on his arm, maybe get him at or slightly below market because of his health, but I don't remember seeing us mentioned in the hunt. I'm glad you've seen something. That makes me feel better.

I read somewhere that Dotel only will sign with a team that will make him a closer again. I don't see why we couldn't do that, I mean Nelson was OK down the stretch last yr, but if Dotel could stay healthy...

The Bad Guy
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.lohud.com/blogs/2006/12/dec-06-done-deal-burgos-for-bannister.html

Done deal.

Have fun with Bannister. He was in the rotation last year early for the Mets. Get used to seeing him reach 100 pitches by the 4th. He has decent stuff, but will never be more than a 5th starter.

Archie Bunker
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM

Stark reported on Mike and Mike that Royals offer is 4 yrs 40 million.

PinkFloyd
12-06-2006, 10:59 AM

Moore must either know something we don't --- or he's hoping for a miracle...

PinkFloyd
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I would say the Gathright trade looked pretty shaky on paper as well.

The guy is a rice burner... We just need to teach him how to hit now is all... And hit for the gap... Guy could lead the league in double's and triple's if he could just hit the ball...

siberian khatru
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM

I like Meche, and I like him better than Batista. But I also hate giving him 4 years. I think I'd rather try to trade Emil for Lopez and gamble that he's not going to get a huge raise in arbitration.

Unless maybe Dayton is figuring that by year 4 of Meche's deal, $10 million for an average pitcher will be below market, and he fears that if Lopez is decent with us he will cost us more than $10 million by 2010.

Archie Bunker
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont know if the deals for Meche and Batista are sound financial decisions or not, but I like the fact the Royals are making competive offers to some FAs.

It also shows me that maybe Moore has opened some eyes in the front office and a competive team might be on the horizon.

ChiTown
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
That's a lot of bones over a long period for the Royals to pluck down on a guy like Meche. I like the aggressiveness, but wow!

You are correct about Meche vs Batista. 28yrs old vs 35? No thanks to Batista.

shaneo69
12-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I remember seeing Burgos pitch against the Cardinals this year and thinking that he would look nice in Cardinal red.

However, it sounds like he may not have the make-up to be a closer with the inconsistency he's shown in his 1st two seasons. Papelbon and Wainwright (among others) came in their rookie seasons and were consistent closers. If Burgos isn't there yet, he's probably not going to get there any time soon, if ever.

So would you rather have a guy who can be a #4 or #5 starter, or a middle relief pitcher with control issues?

tk13
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Burgos was rushed and still pretty young, however there seemed to be a belief that he was pretty immature too. I don't know why, I know I read a couple articles at various times where people questioned his mental makeup.

To be honest, I think that might have had something to do with this trade too, since Dayton seems to put stock in a player's personality.

beavis
12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I like Meche, and I like him better than Batista. But I also hate giving him 4 years. I think I'd rather try to trade Emil for Lopez and gamble that he's not going to get a huge raise in arbitration.

Unless maybe Dayton is figuring that by year 4 of Meche's deal, $10 million for an average pitcher will be below market, and he fears that if Lopez is decent with us he will cost us more than $10 million by 2010.
Wouldn't worry about it... looks like he's about ready to sign with the Cubs.

Someone over on kcroyals.com is saying that the Dodgers might put Penny on the block, trying to get a corner outfielder. I'd rather have him than Meche anyday, but I guess he also has a limited no trade clause.

The contracts these middle tier starters are getting are absolutely insane.

Eleazar
12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Burgos was rushed and still pretty young, however there seemed to be a belief that he was pretty immature too. I don't know why, I know I read a couple articles at various times where people questioned his mental makeup.

To be honest, I think that might have had something to do with this trade too, since Dayton seems to put stock in a player's personality.

He definitely seems big on makeup. I guess I don't know too much about Burgos' personality, but you always hear Hernandez' problem being his makeup, for example. Moore seems to put a lot of stock as you say in that attribute.

Archie Bunker
12-07-2006, 09:00 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6247654

Meche close to signing with Royals

ORLANDO, Fla. - In a winter meetings stunner, free agent RHP Gil Meche is close to signing with Royals, FOXSports.com has learned.

Meche, 28, has chosen the Royals over the Cubs and Blue Jays.
The Royals also have made a 3-year, $24 million offer to free agent right-hander Miguel Batista. But Meche's deal is expected to be for more years and more money.

The Blue Jays offered Meche a contract for 4 years and $40 million, according to a major league scource.

But the Blue Jays were shut out on both Meche and free agent left Ted Lilly, increasing the possibility they will explore trades for CF Vernon Wells.

Meche pitched to an 11-8 record and a 4.48 ERA in 32 starts for the Mariners last season.

Archie Bunker
12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Rule V

Royals selected RHP Joakin Soria from the Padres with the second pick in the rule 5 draft.

Soria was picked based mostly on his strong campaign in the Mexican Pacific League. He's currently 8-0 with a 2.02 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 62 1/3 innings. The 22-year-old spent most of last season playing in the Mexican League. He doesn't have outstanding upside, but the Royals will consider carrying him as a middle reliever.

Eleazar
12-07-2006, 09:18 AM

ORLANDO, Fla. - In a winter meetings stunner, free agent RHP Gil Meche is close to signing with Royals, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Royals also have made a 3-year, $24 million offer to free agent right-hander Miguel Batista. But Meche's deal is expected to be for more years and more money.

The Blue Jays offered Meche a contract for 4 years and $40 million, according to a major league scource.

But the Blue Jays were shut out on both Meche and free agent left Ted Lilly, increasing the possibility they will explore trades for CF Vernon Wells.

Meche pitched to an 11-8 record and a 4.48 ERA in 32 starts for the Mariners last season.

Nice. I didn't really expect us to win a pitcher that several teams were bidding for.

Nice work, Moore :clap:

Maybe this will spell the end of Runworthless Hernandez :#

Archie Bunker
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM

Foxsports has updated the article. The Royals offer is 4yrs 45 million.

Redrum_69
12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Good riddance

sedated
12-07-2006, 10:06 AM

Moore seems to go after a totally different type of pitcher than Allaird Baird did.

Baird was all about 'electric stuff', whereas Moore wants consistancy and control.

Moore got rid of Affeldt and Denny Bautista, now Burgos.

KChiefs1
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Brian Bannister sucks. He's got an 89 MPH fastball, no movement, no other secondary pitches, and really not much upside.

And he's not 22, he's 26.

I'll take the kinda sucking that Bannister has been doing lately!:)