PDA

View Full Version : This Chiefs signing has not gotten any mention here.

Frankie
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
But someone posted it in another Chiefs forum:

"Silent sack machine
Tim Sandidge doesn't do a lot of talking, but the Tech defensive tackle is a quarterback menace.
By Randy King
981-3126

BLACKSBURG -- If Virginia Tech defensive tackle Tim Sandidge was in law enforcement, he'd definitely want to be an undercover officer.

And when he made a bust or an arrest, he'd prefer to dodge any sort of notoriety.

It's the same modus operandi that Sandidge operates with on the football field. Just quietly go about your business, do your job right, and keep your mouth shut.

Forget about any sack dances. No chest-thumping or other gyrations of braggadocio here. There's no trash-talking, hooping or hollering with this guy.

"I like to fly below the radar," Sandidge said. "I'm not the type that talks much. Let your play talk for yourself. If you're making plays, you don't really have to speak. You're already in that offensive lineman's head and he's thinking, 'What can I do this time to block him?' "

That's a question a lot of opposing linemen undoubtedly have been asking themselves lately. The only thing bigger than the 6-foot-1, 304-pound Sandidge has been his game. He's playing like a hungry bear who just broke out of his cage.

"Tim has been a beast in there for us," Hokies star defensive end Darryl Tapp said. "He has elevated his game and there has been no stopping the guy."

About time again, Sandidge said.

"This being my senior year, I really wanted to go out with a bang," Sandidge said. "So I wanted to go out and make plays, be on the field as much as possible, and put Coach [Charley] Wiles [Hokies D-line coach] in a position that he would have to play me."

Inserted into the starting lineup after Carlton Powell sprained his right ankle in the season opener at North Carolina State, Sandidge has looked much like the player who registered 77 tackles, eight tackles for loss, and five sacks in 2002-03.

There has been no resemblance to the guy wearing No. 71 last season who sat most of the time and recorded a measley seven tackles in 10 games.

While Wiles' decision to play natural end Jim Davis inside at times led to some of his decreased playing time last season, Sandidge confessed he also was guilty for his predicament.

"Maybe some lost confidence ... maybe I thought that [Wiles] didn't have confidence in myself," he said. "It was difficult watching, but it was also motivation for me to come back this year and go out strong."

Seeing what Davis and Tech's other seniors got done en route to the ACC title last season, Sandidge admitted he entered his final season with a sense of urgency to become more of a factor for the Hokies.

"I saw how they went out and how happy they were," Sandidge recalled. "I spoke with Jim a couple of times and he just said, 'don't let this opportunity get past, this is your last year, possibly could be my last year playing football,' so I just want to go out on top."

Sandidge's resurgence has been key for a defense that ranks among the nation's leaders in virtually every statistical category. He's been strong enough to occupy opposing O-linemen long enough that Tech's linebackers have been free to flow to the ball. He has recorded 10 tackles and gotten constant push into opponents backfields that have resulted in 3.5 stops for loss, including two sacks.

"I think some people fail to know that Tim Sandidge is a guy who has played a lot of plays here," said Jonathan Lewis, Tech's starting nose tackle. "He's playing a lot again now and he's been able to show his talents."

Sandidge, who already has been invited to play in the All-American Classic next January in Las Vegas, has noticed that a lot more folks seem to know his name these days.

"You can see the reaction after the game ... when you walk back to the locker room a lot more people are calling out your name, asking you for autographs, and it makes you feel good," he said. "It motivates you. People are seeing what you're doing, seeing you working hard, so you just want to go out there and keep those people happy."

Certainly, it's made for good times in the sizable Sandidge contingent on hand for home games in Lane Stadium. His mother, Dorothy, grew up in Roanoke and has seven sisters and five brothers.

"I get enough adulation from my family," the well-grounded Sandidge said. "I get enough phone calls and asking for tickets that I need. They're a little more happy this year, I think."

So is Tech's silent weapon.

"Yeah, it's a lot better when you're out there having fun," Sandidge said. "It's a whole different level than being on the sideline just watching the game. It's a whole lot more fun making plays and jumping around with your teammates.

"Still, I'm a guy who likes being the quiet type. I'm just trying to create a little buzz for myself while still trying to stay under the radar. I want to make some good film for myself so they can have it on the next level [NFL]. If I'm done playing football after this year, I see myself getting married, having kids, making money."

All undercover, of course."

Rain Man
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
That's a question a lot of opposing linemen undoubtedly have been asking themselves lately. The only thing bigger than the 6-foot-1, 304-pound Sandidge has been his game. He's playing like a hungry bear who just broke out of his cage.

"A hungry bear who just broke out of his cage?"

I don't want another Siavii/Sims guy who's ransacking the concessions area for hot dogs. I want a guy who can tackle and rush the passer. I want a guy who plays like a doberman who just saw a mailman wearing Alpo cologne.

HemiEd
12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
He sounds like somebody we might use.

It seems like there might have been a thread on here the other day about him. I think it was during the Sunday afternoon high traffic period maybe.

I wish I would have read it now, trying to put the pieces together on this guy. He is on the Roster. He was with the Rams as an undrafted free agent, right?

RealSNR
12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd love to see Krumrie turn this guy into a vicious beast.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CARL!

Frankie
12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
He sounds like somebody we might use.

It seems like there might have been a thread on here the other day about him. I think it was during the Sunday afternoon high traffic period maybe.

I wish I would have read it now, trying to put the pieces together on this guy. He is on the Roster. He was with the Rams as an undrafted free agent, right?
Yes

Rain Man
12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I'd love to see Krumrie turn this guy into a vicious beast.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CARL!

Like...like a hungry wolverine just released from his den.

Redrum_69
12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
He'll be a starter and a team leader.

Rain Man
12-07-2006, 09:51 AM
He'll be a starter and a team leader.

Like a hungry president just released from inauguration.

Redrum_69
12-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Like your mom after I release her from my basement

King_Chief_Fan
12-07-2006, 09:55 AM
"A hungry bear who just broke out of his cage?"

I don't want another Siavii/Sims guy who's ransacking the concessions area for hot dogs. I want a guy who can tackle and rush the passer. I want a guy who plays like a doberman who just saw a mailman wearing Alpo cologne.

same here. If this guy has any skill, why did St. Loser let him go? It is not like they don't need the same. Their D line is horrible.

chagrin
12-07-2006, 09:59 AM

Like a hungry Mexican who just jumped the border?

Rain Man
12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Like your mom after I release her from my basement

Don't talk about my mom, or I'll be on you like a hungry vulture just released from a ... a ... a place where everyone is alive.

InChiefsHeaven
12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
If the dude was that good...they would have kept him. He probably has had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the NFL...

...another project. Nothing to see here.

...having said that...MAN, I HOPE HE SURPRISES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2006, 10:30 AM
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_5196922,00.html

Chiefs agree to terms with DT Tim Sandidge

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club has agreed to terms of a two-year contract with rookie DT Tim Sandidge.

As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available. Peterson also indicated that the club has placed T Kevin Sampson on Injured Reserve.

Sandidge (6-0, 310) originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with St. Louis in 2006. Sandidge attended training camp with the Rams and has spent 12 weeks on the St. Louis practice squad. He was a three-year starter at Virginia Tech, seeing action in 48 contests (14 starts). He recorded 120 tackles (50 solo), 7.5 sacks, one fumble recovery and five passes defensed for the Hokies.

The Lynchburg, Virginia native was a second-team all-state selection as a senior at Amherst County High School in Amherst County, Virginia despite only playing football his final two years of high school. Sandidge played defensive tackle, offensive line and tight end during his prep career.

Sampson (6-4, 312) started six games at right tackle for the Chiefs in 2006, but has been inactive for the past five contests. He has seen action in 16 contests (seven starts) in three seasons with the Chiefs. Sampson originally joined the Chiefs as the club’s seventh-round draft choice (231st overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft.

The Westwood, New Jersey native played in 44 games (24 starts) at Syracuse, blocking for a 1,000-yard rusher all four years. Sampson prepped at Westwood High School in Westwood, New Jersey.

ct
12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes, he's still a project. But it's not like St. Louis dumped him after training camp, sounds like we signed him off their practice squad.

JakeT
12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
If the dude was that good...they would have kept him. He probably has had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the NFL...

...another project. Nothing to see here.

...having said that...MAN, I HOPE HE SURPRISES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

James Reed went from out of football to the best DT on out team. If this guy can't do that well at least he can probably do better than Simms or at least try harder and not whine about being benched.

Does this mean Reed's injury is worse than we know?

Wile_E_Coyote
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
let's see some Colts/Lilja karma here, football gods

Frankie
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Yes, he's still a project. But it's not like St. Louis dumped him after training camp, sounds like we signed him off their practice squad.
That's what I was thinking too.

Frankie
12-07-2006, 12:47 PM
let's see some Colts/Lija karma here football gods
Amen!

InChiefsHeaven
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, I hope you are all correct. Hell, he can't be any worse, that's for sure. It would be great if he turned into a force on the line, being undrafted and all. Kinda like Hicks...(bite my tounge...) His first season anyway.

Warrior5
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Print 'em.

CoMoChief
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
As long as Sims is kept off the field, I'm fine with it.

Halfcan
12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Finally an answer to all our prayers-lol

Iowanian
12-07-2006, 01:56 PM
If the Guy was worth a shit, he woudn't have been available on the scrap pile in December.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
If the Guy was worth a shit, he woudn't have been available on the scrap pile in December.
ryan lilja turned out pretty decent after being taken off our scrap pile.

ron edwards and james reed were good enough to start for us after being taken off the scrap pile.

i'm just saying ..... they aren't all worthless just because they aren't on the active squad.

JazzzLovr
12-07-2006, 02:08 PM

ron edwards and james reed were good enough to start for us after being taken off the scrap pile.

i'm just saying ..... they aren't all worthless just because they aren't on the active squad.

Or that players from other team's scrap piles could very well be better than our worthless active squad, perhaps? :grr:

Iowanian
12-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Was he available late in the season?

Ron Edwards was a Buffalo bill at this time last year, and Reed was a Jet. Lilja was taken pretty much immediately by the Colts and became a starter, though I've heard alot of Colt fans whining that he gets blown off the ball.

I hope the guy is Bill Braskey's ass whoopin' instructor, but I'm going to have to see something to be excited about first.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Was he available late in the season?

Ron Edwards was a Buffalo bill at this time last year, and Reed was a Jet. Lilja was taken pretty much immediately by the Colts and became a starter, though I've heard alot of Colt fans whining that he gets blown off the ball.

I hope the guy is Bill Braskey's ass whoopin' instructor, but I'm going to have to see something to be excited about first.
understood ..... didn't say anyone needed to be excited

just that signing a guy off of a practice squad doesn't mean he can't help us a bit.

htismaqe
12-07-2006, 02:15 PM

OK, who else here is a pod person, and what the **** did you all do with Laz?!?!

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
OK, who else here is a pod person, and what the **** did you all do with Laz?!?!
ROFL

hey ... the coaches have shown a minuscule ability to judge Defensive talent by getting Reed and Edwards ...... and by benching Sims.

Chiefs fans have to grab every bit of hope they can get

I hope this Sandidge guy can be productive for us.

curse of the chiefs fan :shrug:

htismaqe
12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
ROFL

hey ... the coaches have shown a minuscule ability to judge Defensive talent by getting Reed and Edwards ...... and by benching Sims.

Chiefs fans have to grab every bit of hope they can get

I hope this Sandidge guy can be productive for us.

curse of the chiefs fan :shrug:

It ain't a curse. We're all just stupid. :D

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
It ain't a curse. We're all just stupid. :D
don't worry .... i still hate carl :fire:

Easy 6
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Tim "Bulldozin' Bastidge" Sandidge!!!

Ah, who knows...we might as well take a look. Forgive me if i dont hold my breath though.

Frankie
12-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Tim "Bulldozin' Bastidge" Sandidge!!!

Ah, who knows...we might as well take a look. Forgive me if i dont hold my breath though.
Opposing pass rushers will be trapped in the "SandDitch."
;)