PDA

View Full Version : K State VS Rutgers Bowl game to be televised on NFL Network

12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. -- Rutgers football fans hoping to watch their team in the Texas Bowl later this month may be better off going to Manhattan -- the one in Kansas, that is.

The hometown of bowl opponent Kansas State is likely to have better coverage since the NFL Network, which has exclusive rights to televise the game, is not carried on two cable companies that serve more than 1 million of New Jersey's 2.5 million cable subscribers, not to mention most of New York City.

With No. 16 Rutgers suddenly at the flashpoint of the dispute between the NFL Network and cable operators Time Warner and Cablevision, New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg sent a letter to the NFL on Wednesday urging the league to allow the Dec. 28 game to be shown on local television.

"Rutgers fans and the people of New Jersey do not deserve to be punished or used as a bargaining chip in that dispute," Lautenberg wrote.

Through spokesman Seth Palansky, the NFL Network said a solution will depend on an agreement between the network and the cable providers.

"As the senator recognizes, we have repeatedly offered to make not only this Rutgers game but all NFL Network programming available broadly throughout New Jersey," Palansky said. "We regret that Time Warner and Cablevision have not yet agreed to carry NFL Network, but we will continue to work as hard as we can to resolve this commercial dispute as soon as possible."

That isn't likely to happen in the next three weeks. According to Time Warner cable spokesman Mark Harrad, the NFL Network wants cable providers to offer it as part of a basic cable package rather than as a premium service, an idea he said would force Time Warner to raise rates for all subscribers to cover the network's $140 million price tag.

"The NFL Network is asking for a price that would make it one of the top five networks in terms of audience," Harrad said, comparing it to networks such as Disney, ESPN and TNT. "But they're not a network that has shown broad ratings or broad appeal. That doesn't mean we don't want to offer it, because there are definitely customers who will want to pay more to get the NFL Network."

In his letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Network president Steve Bornstein, Lautenberg asked the league to apply the same policy for the Texas Bowl that it uses for its eight NFL telecasts this season. Those games are also broadcast locally by network affiliates.

Officials from Rutgers and the Big East are searching for a way that a local broadcaster such as MSG Network or Secaucus-based WOR Channel 9 could show the game.

That would require changing the NFL's broadcast agreement with the Texas Bowl, and Palansky said the league has no plans to alter that agreement.

Barring that, Rutgers fans could be forced to find bars or restaurants that have satellite feeds, since the NFL Network is carried on DirecTV and the Dish Network.

Comcast, the largest cable company in the country, carries the NFL Network on its digital service that is used by about 7 million of its 24 million subscribers. Comcast is the largest cable provider in New Jersey with about 1.3 million subscribers.

Oddly, Rutgers' men's basketball game against North Carolina will be broadcast on ESPN2 at the same time as the bowl game.

A notice on the Texas Bowl Web site didn't offer much hope for New Jerseyans, though it did suggest a call to action.

"NFL Network is the exclusive broadcaster of the Texas Bowl," it read. "The Texas Bowl can only be seen on NFL Network. If you don't have NFL Network, you won't get the Texas Bowl. Call your local cable provider and ask for NFL Network now."

alpha_omega
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I guess i don't understand why/or how the NFL Network made an agreement with the Texas Bowl.

I would think The Texas Bowl would have made a more traditional agreement. However, i also see here that the NFL Network also owns the naming rights. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Bowl

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Houston Texans own that bowl game.

Reerun_KC
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Thank God for Direct TV.. Cable blows!

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
why is a college game on a Pro station?

DMAC
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
why is a college game on a Pro station?Well in this case, of the 17 households that have NFL network, 1 is a K-State fan, and 2 are Rutgers alumni.

Frazod
Pairing Rutgers with KState (no smack intended - I merely refer to their 7-5 record) in this insignificant bowl really seems lame given their record and the level of national attention they received right up until the end.

And now lots of their fans won't be able to watch the game because of this ongoing greedy NFL power play.

Talk about a 1-2 right up the ass. :shake:

Phobia
why is a college game on a Pro station?
I'm going to take a wild guess here:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Chiefnj
12-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Rutgers should have declined the invitation barring an agreement from the NFL to air the game locally.

the Talking Can
12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Pairing Rutgers with KState (no smack intended - I merely refer to their 7-5 record) in this insignificant bowl really seems lame given their record and the level of national attention they received right up until the end.

And now lots of their fans won't be able to watch the game because of this ongoing greedy NFL power play.

amen...they got screwed big time....but they're not Notre Dame

Saulbadguy
12-07-2006, 05:28 PM

The proper term is..they got "K-Stated". In more ways than one.

DomerNKC
12-07-2006, 06:27 PM
7 - 5. got whipped by louisville already. shouldn't be in a bowl game anyway.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
7 - 5. got whipped by louisville already. shouldn't be in a bowl game anyway.

Which team is going to blow the doors off Noted Dames this year? LSU is it?

Useless f*cks shouldn't be in bowl game. Any real team they played they laid (knelt) down. They'll do it again and this will make 9 or 10 consecutive bowl game losses for the university of NBC.

DomerNKC
12-07-2006, 11:14 PM
lemme see pussycat fan, who was 7-5 again? Who lost to only michigan and usc? who lost to powerhouses like baylor, louisville, and ku? i think you are referring to the wrong team as a bunch of useless f*cks. this wasn't a great year for us. it would have been k-states best season ever. 12 national championships and it is always posers like k-state that want to disrespect us. the next championship k-state wins, will be their first. the pussycats need to find out how much dedication, determination and talent it takes to win something before they take pot shots at those who have already done so.you need to also get a lesson on class, then stay in yours.

Thig Lyfe
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
This is getting ridiculous. NFL Network needs to be punished.

ChiTown
12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
lemme see pussycat fan, who was 7-5 again? Who lost to only michigan and usc? who lost to powerhouses like baylor, louisville, and ku? i think you are referring to the wrong team as a bunch of useless f*cks. this wasn't a great year for us. it would have been k-states best season ever. 12 national championships and it is always posers like k-state that want to disrespect us. the next championship k-state wins, will be their first. the pussycats need to find out how much dedication, determination and talent it takes to win something before they take pot shots at those who have already done so.you need to also get a lesson on class, then stay in yours.

:deevee:

lmao

Reerun_KC
12-07-2006, 11:19 PM

Game, Set, Match...

Rep Worthy!

WilliamTheIrish
12-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Game, Set, Match...

Rep Worthy!

Reerun with the phognet reacharound. State law requires you to wash your hands before handling anything else.

Chiefnj
12-08-2006, 10:15 AM
A good bowl game would have been Rutgers vs. ND at the Meadowlands. There is a huge ND following in NJ. That would have been a good game with lots of rabid fans for both sides.

WilliamTheIrish
12-08-2006, 10:32 AM
lemme see pussycat fan, who was 7-5 again? Who lost to only michigan and usc? who lost to powerhouses like baylor, louisville, and ku? i think you are referring to the wrong team as a bunch of useless f*cks. this wasn't a great year for us. it would have been k-states best season ever. 12 national championships and it is always posers like k-state that want to disrespect us. the next championship k-state wins, will be their first. the pussycats need to find out how much dedication, determination and talent it takes to win something before they take pot shots at those who have already done so.....

You poor baby. "NBC U got dissed by a KSU fan"!!!

NBC U. will get beaten down again for their 10th consecutive bowl loss. It'll be a prison raping and LSU will be wearing a razor wire condom.

I love how NBC U fans now have moral victories over Michigan and USC now. No wonder a KU fan like Reerun has affection for you. His team is the King of the moral victory.

Get a lesson on class and stay in yours?

Is this smack or are you stealing material from 6th graders?

DaFace
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
What day is this on? I might be able to stream it for some of you guys if get my cable going quick enough in Dungver.

Reerun_KC
12-08-2006, 11:13 AM

NBC U. will get beaten down again for their 10th consecutive bowl loss. It'll be a prison raping and LSU will be wearing a razor wire condom.

I love how NBC U fans now have moral victories over Michigan and USC now. No wonder a KU fan like Reerun has affection for you. His team is the King of the moral victory.

Is this smack or are you stealing material from 6th graders?

I guess Moral victories are better than none at all KSU guy....

Your coming strong today, congrats!

PSSSSTTTT! I cant stand NBC U nor LSU.... I sent this to my cousin and step dad. Cousin ND fan and Step dad LSU fan...

This is the big who gives a crap game.. You have the over hyped, over televised crap of Notre Damn. I mean really, No body in America cares unless you are an ND alum or some bandwagon Catholic family fan. Then on the other side you have LSU.. LSU? Who other than the people that live in one of the poorest states in America actually care about this team? Their fans are more fickle than John Kerry and politics.. Always here crap when they are winning, nothing when they are losing.. Plus, they are playing in that crap infested worthless city of New Orleans.. But hey we all know it was Bush's fault that the Big Toilet was built below sea level. Somebody please just pull the drain plug on that city..... Honestly hope this game gets cancelled for lack of true football fans interest. The Who's Gives a Flying Crap Bowl........

Chiefnj
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
What day is this on? I might be able to stream it for some of you guys if get my cable going quick enough in Dungver.

12/28 at 8:00 ??

WilliamTheIrish
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Your coming strong today, congrats!

Hey! Leave your homo-erotic fantasies out of thread.

;)

Reerun_KC
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey! Leave your homo-erotic fantasies out of thread.

;)

Now that was weak! Oh by the way, I am not that way so stop trying to pick up on me... Sorry dude. Maybe get that SaltyballsGuys to help you out there..

LOL!

Basileus777
12-08-2006, 02:53 PM
who lost to powerhouses like baylor, louisville, and ku?

Louisville is a bad loss? ROFL

Louisville is #6 in the nation and would probably destroy ND.

DomerNKC
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM

Is this smack or are you stealing material from 6th graders?I am not upset at getting dissed by anyone. I just believe you have no place to run smack on a big dog (Notre Dame). Other than having possibly the worst football history in Division 1, what has k-state done? Get a football team, schedule somewbody, win something, then talk smack. NBC U? Oh, i see you are still sad that your substandard school is not worthy of a National Television Contract. Don't knock us for earning one. try it sometime. It is not a tragedy to lose a bowl game against a quality opponent. It is a tragedy not to ever be in one. You will never win a National Championship unless you beat a quality opponent in a bowl game, but K-state wouldn't know anything about that. They NEVER will. Notre Dame does not have moral victories against Michigan or USC. We have losses. Losing a game to a worthy opponent is not a crime. they beat us handily. The positive thing is that we were not afraid to play them. a loss is something that k-state had against KU. You may call them "the King of the moral victory", but that isn't actually correct. They have an actual VICTORY and scoreboard against you chumps. You also seem to be fixated on prison raping. Firsthand experience? Let me spell it out for you short bussers. Get a lesson on class(you have none)and stay in yours(i am out of your league chump).

Reerun_KC
12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I am not upset at getting dissed by anyone. I just believe you have no place to run smack on a big dog (Notre Dame). Other than having possibly the worst football history in Division 1, what has k-state done? Get a football team, schedule somewbody, win something, then talk smack. NBC U? Oh, i see you are still sad that your substandard school is not worthy of a National Television Contract. Don't knock us for earning one. try it sometime. It is not a tragedy to lose a bowl game against a quality opponent. It is a tragedy not to ever be in one. You will never win a National Championship unless you beat a quality opponent in a bowl game, but K-state wouldn't know anything about that. They NEVER will. Notre Dame does not have moral victories against Michigan or USC. We have losses. Losing a game to a worthy opponent is not a crime. they beat us handily. The positive thing is that we were not afraid to play them. a loss is something that k-state had against KU. You may call them "the King of the moral victory", but that isn't actually correct. They have an actual VICTORY and scoreboard against you chumps. You also seem to be fixated on prison raping. Firsthand experience? Let me spell it out for you short bussers. Get a lesson on class(you have none)and stay in yours(i am out of your league chump).

That was funny.. Still not a Domer though..

I will root for my Jayhawks win or lose... Regardless, have to stay true to my roots....

DomerNKC
12-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Louisville is a bad loss? ROFL

Louisville is #6 in the nation and would probably destroy ND.Louisville IS a bad loss. They built an impressive record against a superweak schedule and an even weaker conference. I wish Louisville was pitted against michigan, auburn, lsu, Notre Dame, or Florida so that they would be exposed for the division 1 frauds that they are.

Frazod
12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
So tell me, Domer, did you actually go to Notre Dame or grow up in the South Bend area, or are you just an Irish Mecca?

DomerNKC
12-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I am a native Hoosier. I am also of Irish Heritage. Not catholic though.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2006, 05:30 PM
So tell me, Domer, did you actually go to Notre Dame or grow up in the South Bend area, or are you just an Irish Mecca?
What do you think?

http://www.bceaglesfootball.com/images/nd1.gif

Frazod
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
What do you think?

http://www.bceaglesfootball.com/images/nd1.gif

ROFL Holy Shit!

grandllama
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
ROFL Holy Shit!

Much better than what the post I was writing was going to say ROFL ROFL ROFL

Reerun_KC
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
SaulBadGuy, you have just earned my respect!

Rep Worthy!!!

Basileus777
12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Louisville IS a bad loss. They built an impressive record against a superweak schedule and an even weaker conference. I wish Louisville was pitted against michigan, auburn, lsu, Notre Dame, or Florida so that they would be exposed for the division 1 frauds that they are.

You mean like ND was against USC and Michigan? Or maybe Louisville should start scheduling Navy and Army...

This post might have some merit coming from a fan of a different school, but coming from a ND fan, its hypocrisy.

While ND is getting blown out in a bowl game they didn't deserve to go to once again, Louisville will be winning the Orange Bowl.

WilliamTheIrish
12-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I am not upset at getting dissed by anyone. I just believe you have no place to run smack on a big dog (Notre Dame). Other than having possibly the worst football history in Division 1, what has k-state done? Get a football team, schedule somewbody, win something, then talk smack. NBC U? Oh, i see you are still sad that your substandard school is not worthy of a National Television Contract. Don't knock us for earning one. try it sometime. It is not a tragedy to lose a bowl game against a quality opponent. It is a tragedy not to ever be in one. You will never win a National Championship unless you beat a quality opponent in a bowl game, but K-state wouldn't know anything about that. They NEVER will. Notre Dame does not have moral victories against Michigan or USC. We have losses. Losing a game to a worthy opponent is not a crime. they beat us handily. The positive thing is that we were not afraid to play them. a loss is something that k-state had against KU. You may call them "the King of the moral victory", but that isn't actually correct. They have an actual VICTORY and scoreboard against you chumps. You also seem to be fixated on prison raping. Firsthand experience? Let me spell it out for you short bussers. Get a lesson on class(you have none)and stay in yours(i am out of your league chump).

The term NBC U and Notre Dame Bank were given to them by by Joe Paterno, not me.
The Dames are fair game for any fan. Their schedule was weak and there is simply no denying that. The TV contract was a bad deal for all of CFB. The Lamers could have joined a BCS conference. The Big East wanted them. The Big Televen wanted them. But they were too afraid to meet the challenge.
The brass at Noted Dame knew they'd never see a Bowl Alliance or BCS bid again if they joined up. They'd have to win the conference. How fair would that be? To actually have to compete? That's totally unfair.

NBC rode in to the rescue. It was good move for university that was petrified of having to compete in a conference.

This way, they got paid and could schedule the Armed Forces and North Carolina, Purdue and have the the fans who wear hockey helmets bibs think they were playing a really brutal schedule. And if they didn't get a bid, they still got paid.

And save the weak 6th grade 'class' smack Domer. Most of this thread went so over your dome and at so fast a rate of speed, it created a sonic boom and still, you didn't notice.

DomerNKC
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
You mean like ND was against USC and Michigan? Or maybe Louisville should start scheduling Navy and Army...

This post might have some merit coming from a fan of a different school, but coming from a ND fan, its hypocrisy.

While ND is getting blown out in a bowl game they didn't deserve to go to once again, Louisville will be winning the Orange Bowl.Notre Dame, for the first time in over a decade, did not have one of the ten most difficult schedules in division one. It is an abnormality. Kind of funny that this season is the only year dimwitted posters can remember. For as long as i remember, we always were told that if we wanted to be respectable we needed to back away from the killer schedule. I dont know why this year the schedule was like it was, but it was. The schedule did include teams like the nittany lions, the boilermakers, the wolverines and the trojans. By including those teams, it is stronger than most, not hypocrisy. Lousiville will be playing a never was in the orange bowl, so what does it matter? By the way, we have been scheduling the "acadamies" for over one hundred years for their benefit...not ours. go ahead and run smack on us for our patriotism now. how do you deserve a bowl game? You get chosen. Did we get chosen? Then it was deserved. nuff said.

DomerNKC
12-09-2006, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=WilliamTheIrish]The term NBC U and Notre Dame Bank were given to them by by Joe Paterno, not me. we have been handing him his head for years, no wonder he is bitter. Your excuse? (other than having a pathetic team to root for.)
The Dames are fair game for any fan. Their schedule was weak and there is simply no denying that. That "weak" schedule as you call it included USC, PENN STATE, MICHIGAN, PURDUE, and GEORGIA TECH. I was weaker than our notoriously strong schedule. "WEAK" is easily denied.The TV contract was a bad deal for all of CFB. We must have offered it to ourselves because that is the only way to blame us for taking it. Furthermore i feel as though it has helped College football by securing national television exposure every weekend. College football would be on TV, but it would only be regional. Just like college football scheduling was before Knute Rockne took his team all over the country looking for competition. The Lamers could have joined a BCS conference. The Big East wanted them. The Big Televen wanted them. But they were too afraid to meet the challenge. Why join a conference? The only reason colleges formed conferences was for economic security. Notre Dame has never needed that, even before the television contract. How can the shelter and security of a conference be a challenge? The big east is not worthy of Notre Dame Football and why be in the big ten? We already play whatever teams we want from the big ten.
The brass at Noted Dame knew they'd never see a Bowl Alliance or BCS bid again if they joined up. check your facts, Notre Dame is the only solo member of the BCS. This is due to a powerful 110 plus year history. 12 National Championships. 7 Heisman Trophy Winners. History is something the mildcats try to hide from. Notre Dame embraces it. That's totally unfair.They'd have to win the conference. How fair would that be? To actually have to compete? We would welcome it. Our way is a more difficult road. try it.

NBC rode in to the rescue. It was good move for university that was petrified of having to compete in a conference. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. dismissed.

This way, they got paid and could schedule the Armed Forces and North Carolina, Purdue and have the the fans who wear hockey helmets bibs think they were playing a really brutal schedule. And if they didn't get a bid, they still got paid. we have always played the service acadamies. Ther is no real reason except for tradition. Tradition, something k-state doesn't understand. We get paid because we were chosen. If we are not chosen we get nothing. Remember that weak team called baylor? Yeah, the team that is not bowl bound but beat you. They will recieve a check for the bowl games that Oklahoma, k-state, and any other team in the big 12 participates in. There is the shelter and security of a conference for ya.

And save the weak 6th grade 'class' smack Domer. Don't flatter yourself. your weak ramblings impress nobody. The sixth grade has nothing to do with anything, other than it being the last grade you completed. I simply said that you have no class. Anybody that wants to tear away at a storied institution because they are insignificant is classless. Try to accomplish something before you knock those that have. Most of this thread went so over your dome and at so fast a rate of speed, it created a sonic boom and still, you didn't notice.and you called my smack weak?ROFL

DomerNKC
12-09-2006, 06:27 PM
What do you think?

http://www.bceaglesfootball.com/images/nd1.gifGood to see your originality again saulfatguy.

DomerNKC
12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
What do you think?

http://www.bceaglesfootball.com/images/nd1.gifwanna see something funnier? Separated at birth?

Valiant
12-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Question even if the cable companies had the standard nfl network would the games still be on TV??? I heard you had to pay to get 8 extra games for the NFL would these games be included also???

I watch the Network at work sometimes since we have DTV in there, and honestly I can see why the Cable Companies do not want to pay that big of fee that the majority of their people would watch...

If the NFL and teams wanted to make some real cash they would offer season boxsets of their favorite teams for the entire season ala tv shows... Say 250 bucks per boxset...

12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Question even if the cable companies had the standard nfl network would the games still be on TV??? I heard you had to pay to get 8 extra games for the NFL would these games be included also???

I watch the Network at work sometimes since we have DTV in there, and honestly I can see why the Cable Companies do not want to pay that big of fee that the majority of their people would watch...

If the NFL and teams wanted to make some real cash they would offer season boxsets of their favorite teams for the entire season ala tv shows... Say 250 bucks per boxset...
I think you're getting NFL network mixed up with NFL Sunday ticket..which broadcasts all the games on Sunday.

On NFL network,you only get the one game televised during the week and a Bowl game like this

Eleazar
12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
:rolleyes: Is there anything worse than an uppity Notre Lame fan?

Valiant
12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I think you're getting NFL network mixed up with NFL Sunday ticket..which broadcasts all the games on Sunday.

On NFL network,you only get the one game televised during the week and a Bowl game like this

I know the nfl networks games are the thursday ones.. The question was since there is standard nfl network and then the football package nfl network that gets you games are the bowl games included...

This is from all the people that have nfl network but could not get the thursday night games because they were told their cable company did not buy the games package for the nfl network.. I am just going off of what I got on here...

12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I know the nfl networks games are the thursday ones.. The question was since there is standard nfl network and then the football package nfl network that gets you games are the bowl games included...

This is from all the people that have nfl network but could not get the thursday night games because they were told their cable company did not buy the games package for the nfl network.. I am just going off of what I got on here...
Gotchya

I never even heard of the football package NFL network on some cable providers, until I started reading ChiefsPlanet on Thanksgiving day.so I dont know.

DomerNKC
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
:rolleyes: Is there anything worse than an uppity Notre Lame fan?Yes, idiots that slander the most storied program in NCAA football history. The team has been pretty non threatening since 1988, but people feel the need to attack. people that attack something because it is successful, are losers.

Ebolapox
12-09-2006, 08:08 PM
SaulBadGuy, you have just earned my respect!

Rep Worthy!!!

playin' both sides of the fence, eh?

Reerun_KC
12-09-2006, 08:11 PM
playin' both sides of the fence, eh?

probably because I dont care about LSU or ND... have no real stance. Just egging it on...

Oh by the way the purple kitties are down to North Dakota State at that half 38 - 31.....

So the Kitty fans might not come on here and say much.....

Ebolapox
12-09-2006, 08:12 PM
probably because I dont care about LSU or ND... have no real stance. Just egging it on...

Oh by the way the purple kitties are down to North Dakota State at that half 38 - 31.....

So the Kitty fans might not come on here and say much.....

heh--personally, I could give a sh*t less--I'm no kstate fan OR Notre D fan

Reerun_KC
12-09-2006, 08:15 PM
heh--personally, I could give a sh*t less--I'm no kstate fan OR Notre D fan

Me either, but it is funny to see the banter back and forth...

SnapDogg
12-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, I'm a KU fan first then ND (not Catholic though), I'm old enough to remember the 66 game.
MSU sign at that game that has stuck w/me for 40 years....."Hail Mary full of grace, ND's in second place!"...........but, I've never heard the BS smack from a ND fan like tonight........reminds me of OU fanz! 8-)