PDA

View Full Version : Which CNNSI All-Americans do we have a shot at?

noa
12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/12/07/all.americans/index.html?cnn=yes

I'm only listing the first-teamers, but you can click the link to see the second team and honorable mentions. I know that not everyone on the list is necessarily going to enter the draft, and that a lot of these guys won't be available, but who do you think we have a shot at? Who do you (realistically) want to see wearing red & gold next year?

QB: Troy Smith (OSU)
RB: Ian Johnson (Boise State)
RB: Darren McFadden (Arkansas)
WR: Dwayne Jarrett (USC)
WR: Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech)
TE: Jonny Harline (BYU)
C: Dan Mozes (WVU)
OL: Alex Boone (OSU)
OL: Jake Long (Michigan)
OL: Joe Thomas (Wisconsin)
OL: Steve Vallos (Wake Forest)
DL: Gaines Adams (Clemson)
DL: Bruce Davis (UCLA)
DL: Alan Branch (UMich)
DL: Glen Dorsey (LSU)
LB: H.B. Blades (Pittsburgh)
LB: James Laurinaitis (OSU)
LB: Patrick Willis (Ole Miss)
DB: Daymeion Hughes (Cal)
DB: Reggie Nelson (Florida)
DB: Aaron Ross (Texas)
DB: Eric Weddle (Utah)

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2006, 04:40 PM

Better be somebody from that list, excluding if Johnson or Garrett were available.

OnTheWarpath15
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
They'll both be long gone, but:

WR: Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech)

If available:

Sam Baker, OT, USC
Ryan Harris, OT Notre Dame
Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

And we obviously need DL help, but don't know many of the prospects.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM

Better be somebody from that list, excluding if Johnson or Garrett were available.
the thought of taking another whack at a defensive tackle early in the draft just makes me feel queasy.

Anyong Bluth
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
gotta keep trying for a DT... maybe Herm won't screw it up?

noa
12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
the thought of taking another whack at a defensive tackle early in the draft just makes me feel queasy.

Agreed, but we've got to address the situation somehow and the free agency crop this year doesn't look too promising (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDL.html). As badly as we've done drafting DT's lately, I think we're going to have to take another shot at it this year.

cdcox
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
There is about a 80% chance we'll be drafting between round 16 and 25, FWIW

Mr. Laz
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
ROFL

you really should have a Mod change your name to "Mr. Percentage" or something.

:D

cdcox
12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
ROFL

you really should have a Mod change your name to "Mr. Percentage" or something.

:D

If something is worth knowing, its worth knowing to precision, I always say.

DaKCMan AP
12-07-2006, 05:05 PM
If we hadn't drafted Pollard/Page last year, I would LOVE to have Reggie Nelson. He is a baller. But we don't have the need.

CoMoChief
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I would love to draft MU's Rucker the following season to replace TonyG in the future.

Chiefnj
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
If we hadn't drafted Pollard/Page last year, I would LOVE to have Reggie Nelson. He is a baller. But we don't have the need.

With the talk of moving Pollard to LB (Gretz article) it could be done. I don't really care for Gator football much, but I have to say Nelson is a standout player that I would like to see in Red and Gold.

By the way, tonight the college football awardsare on ESPN. There should be a lot of good clips and highlights of a lot of players the Chiefs will be interested in.

noa
12-07-2006, 05:43 PM
With the talk of moving Pollard to LB (Gretz article) it could be done. I don't really care for Gator football much, but I have to say Nelson is a standout player that I would like to see in Red and Gold.

By the way, tonight the college football awardsare on ESPN. There should be a lot of good clips and highlights of a lot of players the Chiefs will be interested in.

That's an interesting point. If we drafted Nelson, we could have Pollard split time between safety and LB (assuming Pollard can handle it) and then we could cut Bell and Knight.

Thanks for the heads up about the awards.

Bob Dole
12-07-2006, 06:23 PM

Bob Dole would be perfectly content if we never drafted another DT on the first day. If ever there was a position that we should take advantage of free agency, that's it.

Thig Lyfe
12-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Dang... will there be any players left 9 to 18 rounds after the draft is over?

shaneo69
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM

Which of those DL's is a DT?

DaKCMan AP
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Reggie is a rare talent. I think the only other Gator player who will be entering the draft this year that I would like to see in the Red & Gold would be LB Earl Everett. I think he is an underrated stud.

el borracho
12-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow. What would we get in return for trading down so far?

el borracho
12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Bob Dole would be perfectly content if we never drafted another DT on the first day. If ever there was a position that we should take advantage of free agency, that's it.
Wow. I feel exactly opposite. I think we have to keep drafting DTs until we get it right. Further, I think our current DTs are so poor that I would be ok if the Chiefs drafted 2 of them on the first day.

cdcox
12-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Dang... will there be any players left 9 to 18 rounds after the draft is over?

Well, this is Carl Peterson we're talking about.

el borracho
12-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Pollard would be pretty light for a linebacker. Doesn't he weigh even less than Donnie Edwards?

noa
12-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Pollard would be pretty light for a linebacker. Doesn't he weigh even less than Donnie Edwards?

Pollard is 224 lbs and Derrick Johnson is 234 lbs, so Pollard would definitely have to put on some weight.