PDA

View Full Version : Question about DUI's

KcMizzou
12-07-2006, 11:50 PM
I have a buddy (seriously..lol) Who recently got a DUI here in Missouri. It was his first, and of course, hopefully last.

He smokes pot on occasion, and is worried about drug testing. I have no idea wether they test or not, or what the penalty would be.

KcMizzou
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
He says there's a difference between DUI and DWI. He was drunk, not stoned.

I thought they were just different terms for the same offense.

morphius
12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
It might be best to stop both instead of having to worry. DUI - Driving under Influence, which I think could be any drug, DWI is Driving While Intoxicated which would say to me alcohol. Though since I never do either I just don't worry about it and could be completely wrong.

pr_capone
12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I thought the I in DWI stood for Impaired

KcMizzou
12-07-2006, 11:57 PM
It might be best to stop both instead of having to worry. DUI - Driving under Influence, which I think could be any drug, DWI is Driving While Intoxicated which would say to me alcohol. Though since I never do either I just don't worry about it and could be completely wrong.Yeah, I think his main concern is the pot he's smoked up till now. I told him I understand it takes like a month to get out of your system... which scared him a bit, I guess.

Bugeater
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure what Missouri's drug laws are like, but here unless you get put on probation you don't have anything to worry about.

KcMizzou
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I thought the I in DWI stood for ImpairedDriving under the influence vs. Driving while impaired, yeah.

Kinda sounds like the same thing to me.

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I should also add that for DWI you will get put on probation here. But you don't get drug tested until after you're sentenced to said probation.

DaFace
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I told him I understand it takes like a month to get out of your system... which scared him a bit, I guess.

That is correct, FWIW, depending on how heavy a user he was/is.

pr_capone
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I think his main concern is the pot he's smoked up till now. I told him I understand it takes like a month to get out of your system... which scared him a bit, I guess.

He could always get a "cleaning" kit if he is piss tested.

http://concept420.com/pass-marijuana-drug-test.htm

I passed a test using this stuff a few years back.

It is illegal (i believe) to sell but if you were to say to the clerk at a headshop that you needed to "feel clean", they can usualy point you in the right direction.

BWillie
12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
I hear you can get cocaine out of your system in a few days. Might want to try it

boogblaster
12-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Clean-up in case hes put on probation..sometimes its just fined, suspended driving, maybe to work and back and no piss testing..I heard that Missouri is one of the highest fineing states..around 7,000.00 to 10,000.00 ....

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
He's been put on probation. His orientation is tomorrow.

Do they test then?

TinyEvel
12-08-2006, 12:21 AM
(from the answer bag) Actually the difference between DWI and DUI is also different between different states, and different between the state and the federal goverment. For some states (examples, Virginia and New Jersey) there is no difference between the two terms - they both mean drunk driving. In Minnesota on the other hand, there is technically no such thing as DUI (they use the term DWI - driving while impaired - instead). The distinction for the federal government is drawn based on severity. A DWI is issued when the blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the 0.08 limit, whereas a DUI is a less severe term, given when a persons BAC is under 0.08.

In 1991 I got pulled over and blew a .08. I had a really good court appointed representative on my hearing day (I had gone their just expecting to take my licks) and he got it reduced to the lesser DWI. I didn't have to do the AA classes and all the community service. But I still had a pretty steep fine (somethinglike 600 bucks) and they took my license for 90 days. And I had to get special car insurence (SR-22) for a year (special meaning realy friggin expensive).

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:30 AM
He's been put on probation. His orientation is tomorrow.

Do they test then?
Yikes! He's already been convicted & sentenced? How long has it been since he's smoked?

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Yikes! He's already been convicted & sentenced? How long has it been since he's smoked?A few days.

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Honestly I started the thread because I figured, pot has nothing to do with driving drunk. I assumed he had nothing to worry about.

Not going as planned.

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Not going as planned.Don't get me wrong... I appreciate any info, bad or good.

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:37 AM
A few days.
Wow. He should have stopped as soon as he was ticketed. Again, I don't know how Missouri works, but I'm fairly certain that you get tested right off the bat here in NE.

Demonpenz
12-08-2006, 12:38 AM
what they did with me is they gave me the dwi then at probie they tested me for pot and i got busted there to so they gave me another fine and gave me a light drug and drug paraphenelia fine. I probably deserved it but I lost my job and my family but thats what I get for smoking pot and I drank a couple beers after work i blew a .09 way over the legal limit, but life is good now I work at this gas station across the street from bannister mall. They don't test for pot at all or meth

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
what they did with me is they gave me the dwi then at probie they tested me for pot and i got busted there to so they gave me another fine and gave me a light drug and drug paraphenelia fine. I know you're ****in' with me on the rest, Demon, but is this part true?

TinyEvel
12-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Why does the federal government even have that shit on the books? If you get popped driving up the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial or something?

Nah, shows you were driving after having a drink. They can add up and kick you in the buttocks if you get popped again.
Even if you have .01 it qualifies as a DWI. I think they call it a "wet and reckless"
Actually that was the nickname of a girl in our high school.

Demonpenz
12-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I know you're ****in' with me on the rest, Demon, but is this part true?

I don't know if it is but i wouldn't be surprised. You get ****ed in the ass for this shit but you play with little boys peters and you get moved to a different church

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Fact is, this guy's my roomie. He moved in after my brother moved out. We're splitting the rent on a townhouse here in in Parkville.

Another fine and longer probation would suck, but it beats the hell out of jail time.

Frankly, I'm scared now too... I have a stake in this. (Even more-so than just being concerned about my buddy.)

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Honestly I started the thread because I figured, pot has nothing to do with driving drunk. I assumed he had nothing to worry about.

Not going as planned.
Damn, sorry I don't have better news. It's not the charge, it's the probation. I'm fairly certain you get drug tested when on probation regardless of the charge here.

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Fact is, this guy's my roomie. He moved in after my brother moved out. We're splitting the rent on a townhouse here in in Parkville.

Another fine and longer probation would suck, but it beats the hell out of jail time.

Frankly, I'm scared now too... I have a stake in this. (Even more-so than just being concerned about my buddy.)
I doubt he'd get thrown in the slam for it, it's just going to complicate things further for him.

KCSupersized
12-08-2006, 12:50 AM
In my experience they didn't drug test me at orientation, but they did after 6 months or so. I failed the test, and had to get an evaluation by a drug counselor. He then decided I had a drug problem and forced me to attend group therapy twice a week for 30 weeks. I would advise your friend to stop smoking until his probation is over.

SPchief
12-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Clean-up in case hes put on probation..sometimes its just fined, suspended driving, maybe to work and back and no piss testing..I heard that Missouri is one of the highest fineing states..around 7,000.00 to 10,000.00 ....

Not true. I've been a dumbass in the past and have gotten myself two dwi's. Neither one of them drew a fine near that amount. If I recall the second one got me a $700 fine. With court costs and a lawyer I think the each cost about 2200 and 3000 respectivley. The shitty thing is the 2nd one they threw my ass in jail for a week. Both were in Greene county which is, I believe, the strictist county in the state.

And I didn't have to take a piss test for either one.

TinyEvel
12-08-2006, 12:51 AM
I was leaving a bar at the end of a dead end road one night, and a CHP lit it up behind me after I rolled through a stop sign. It was raining and they punched so hard pursuing me (I was going about 20 mph) that when I stopped at the next sign they plowed into the back of me.
Scared the Raiduhs out of me!
I thought they were ramming me on purpose or something.

Anyway, I pulled over. The guy didn't even apologize, just asked if we were well enough to get out of the car.

I had been drinking since 1pm. We went to a bar and our buddy was tending. I had 2 Long Island Ice Teas. Then we ech got a 40-ounce and went home to play video games. Then I took a nap before dinner and went to this place where I had two bottles of beer. I refused the third, just because I had to work the next day.

But I thought I was done for, regardless. So, this CHiP gave me all the manual fingertip/walk the line etc. etc tests like three times. THen his Sarge showed up and gave them to me, then another guy showed up and gave them to me. Then they made me blow into a portable breathalizer (you don't have to but if you don't they take you into the station to pee)
I blew a .05. Friggin' lucky I didn't have that third beer.
The guy who hit me was trying to convince Sarge to take me into the station "let's bring him back and bleed him..Let's bleed him"
Sarge told him the STFU.
They let me go, though the back of my car was munched, hatch wouldn't shut, etc.
They filed a report, their fault and I got it fixed on their dime.

LUCKY

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Not true. I've been a dumbass in the past and have gotten myself two dwi's. Neither one of them drew a fine near that amount. If I recall the second one got me a $700 fine. With court costs and a lawyer I think the each cost about 2200 and 3000 respectivley. The shitty thing is the 2nd one they threw my ass in jail for a week. Both were in Greene county which is, I believe, the strictist county in the state.

And I didn't have to take a piss test for either one.
Did you get put on probation?

SPchief
12-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Did you get put on probation?

Both times. Albiet, both were unsupervised probation.

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:59 AM
I've never had a DWI, but one day (I hate to even admit this)...

The morning after a Chiefs night game, I got pulled over for speeding on the way to work. I'd showered, brushed my teeth, etc... but the cop said he could smell alcohol on me. Gave me a breathalizer, and let me go...

Scared the livin' shit out of me.

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Drink where ya sleep, sleep where ya drink.

:(

SPchief
12-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Drink where ya sleep, sleep where ya drink.

:(

Lesson I learned the hard way.
:banghead:

Demonpenz
12-08-2006, 01:06 AM
i had been drinking for awhile one day and a cop got right behind me and i turned and turned on to another road I knew I was ****ed but for some reason he didn't pull me over I had to take 3 tylonal pm to go to sleep that night. That was a wake up call. Some reason God told me to grow the f up. Now I just get a friend to drive my ass to the bar nasscar

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 01:08 AM
i had been drinking for awhile one day and a cop got right behind me and i turned and turned on to another road I knew I was ****ed but for some reason he didn't pull me over I had to take 3 tylonal pm to go to sleep that night. That was a wake up call. Some reason God told me to grow the f up. Now I just get a friend to drive my ass to the bar nasscarYeah, those of us who are lucky get near misses. I've had more than one.

Hell, I'm a single dad with kids... I dont have any room for error. I'm done taking chances.

And... NASCARRRRR

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Both times. Albiet, both were unsupervised probation.
I'm sure it varies by state and even counties, but I've heard the Probation Office in the county I live in is hell. I got into a legal scrape in my not-so-distant past where I had a choice of a $500 fine or 6 mos probation and had numerous people who had dealt with our PO urge me to just pay the fine and not even consider the probation.

alanm
12-08-2006, 02:15 AM
In my experience they didn't drug test me at orientation, but they did after 6 months or so. I failed the test, and had to get an evaluation by a drug counselor. He then decided I had a drug problem and forced me to attend group therapy twice a week for 30 weeks. I would advise your friend to stop smoking until his probation is over.
Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to be smoking pot whilst on probation. KcMizzou's buddy is going to have to start doing some drugs that filter out within 72 hrs instead. ;)

patteeu
12-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Does your "buddy" know what the terms of his probation are? I don't really know for sure, but I'd imagine that he'd know about it if they were going to drug test him. I think the chances are that you will be alright. Er... I mean your buddy. ;)

StcChief
12-08-2006, 08:18 AM
He will be on Probabation, They DO random DRUG TEST on PROBATION. Spot testing, now go pee in the cup.

Needs to STOP SMOKING POT NOW.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2006, 09:48 AM
He will be on Probabation, They DO random DRUG TEST on PROBATION. Spot testing, now go pee in the cup.

Needs to STOP SMOKING POT NOW.

You have got to be kidding me. They put you on probation for a DUI in Missouri? What's the world coming to?

StcChief
12-08-2006, 09:56 AM
You have got to be kidding me. They put you on probation for a DUI in Missouri? What's the world coming to?

Depending on what BAC Level was found, county rules as well.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$.

kepp
12-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure what Missouri's drug laws are like, but here unless you get put on probation you don't have anything to worry about.
Missouri's drug laws?
http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/film/tfk/h98/bilder/Deliverance.jpg

Phobia
12-08-2006, 10:05 AM

Your boyfriend probably won't do any hard time, so you will remain his only one.

Chiefnj
12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm really intrigued by this entire conversation. I think our forefathers would be furious. Someone is arrested for an alcohol related violation which then gives the government the right to test for non-alcohol related substances? Wow.

patteeu
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm really intrigued by this entire conversation. I think our forefathers would be furious. Someone is arrested for an alcohol related violation which then gives the government the right to test for non-alcohol related substances? Wow.

You could always insist on being locked up instead of taking probation, I guess.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2006, 10:24 AM

It's worse than that. They can mess with your whole life. When I was a kid I was on probation. The officer told me he needed me home certain hours that pertained to his slacker schedule for a random search of the premesis and confirmation that I lived there. I told him I worked 8 AM - 9 PM Monday through Saturday. I told him I would be glad to be there at a certain time if he told me in advance. That was unacceptable to him I needed to there randomly during work hours. I told him I would have to give up my job to do that and it was very high paying so I refused to do it. He said he would violate me then. I yelled at him to go ahead and violate me so the whole office could hear it. I told him there wasn't a judge even in Florida that is going to violate me because I worked too much. That guy hated me and I hated him. I think the fact that a kid made 4x more than him and had a way cooler job just went up his ass a mile. He was lazy, stupid and had a serious authority issues. He made me come to his office weekly for piss tests and the like. It got so bad I eventually had to transfer out of the state. I don't know how most PO's are but if they are anything like this guy they should be call POS's. Tards with authority, good god.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2006, 10:28 AM
You could always insist on being locked up instead of taking probation, I guess.

That's BS. The whole probation/parole thing is nothing more than the legal system trying to keep their hooks in you so they can keep charging tax payers. A bureaucracy at it's finest.

JonesCrusher
12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
That's BS. The whole probation/parole thing is nothing more than the legal system trying to keep their hooks in you so they charging tax payers. A bureaucracy at it's finest.

Exactly, you have to pay for piss tests, pay for classes, pay for any other meetings they make you attend. Plus pay all fines.

CoMoChief
12-08-2006, 10:40 AM
First of all he needs to complete the S.A.T.O.P. program. The court will make him do this so he might as well get it out of the way. It's a 2 day (5 hours each day totals 10 hours) course. It's something like $250 I think. It also depends on how much you blow as well. This program does not drug test. Get this out of the way before he goes to court. In some cases it shows good faith to the judge. It also might be a good idea for him to do the Victims Impact Panel. This is a stupid pointless program that the state set up to get more money out of you. A whole bunch of Mothers Against Drunk Drivers come in and talk about bullshit that you probably have heard before. This is around $50 and lasts a few hours. VERY pointless, but the court may assign this as well.

KCMizzou if you live in the Columbia area, or if this is where the offense was, I would refer you to Robert Murray. Columbia is a terrible place to get DWI's, probably the worst place in the state. He's very good and probably the best in the state at DWI offenses.

The courts will not drug test him. More than likely he will get unsupervised probation, probably might have to do community service. Pay a fine, etc.

He will have to file for an SR-22 insurance plan. He will lose his license for 30 days then gets a restricted 60 day license. The first DWI is a slap on the wrist in the fact that all you do is pay out the ass to somewhat get out of it. The 2nd DWI is where you are ****ed. Get a 3rd one and it's a felony and could see prison time. Hopefully this is his first and last.

All in all he wont get tested unless they require a home detention with a call-in sobriety test, which this is his first so theres no way in hell the judge would do that. Everything will be fine, just a slap on the wrist.

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE....
you might spill your beer!!!

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Your boyfriend probably won't do any hard time, so you will remain his only one.Shew, lucky me. nlm

I guess his orientation went fine, no testing. He'll just have to behave for the rest of his probation. Thanks for all the info.

patteeu
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
That's BS. The whole probation/parole thing is nothing more than the legal system trying to keep their hooks in you so they can keep charging tax payers. A bureaucracy at it's finest.

You and I are largely in agreement on law enforcement issues like the whole drug war thing, but philosophically, I don't agree with your opposition to this type of probation.

Probation is a lesser punishment than incarceration. If you've committed a crime that is legitimately punishable by incarceration, your ability to accept the terms of probation as an alternative seems pretty reasonable to me, even if the probation terms don't seem directly related to the specific crime.

J Diddy
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
my exwife got a dui, and they threw the book at her. approximately 1000 in fines plus another 600 in blow and go as well as 500 in classes she had to attend. the only probation that she got was unsupervised and conditional that she remain out of trouble for 2 years.