PDA

View Full Version : Are you still holding out hope for the playoffs?

greg63
12-08-2006, 06:14 AM
...Just curious. :nosmilie:

patteeu
12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Until our next loss, I'll be optimistic. If we lose one, I'll be pessimistic but still hopeful. Any more than that and I'll give up all hope.

Chief Chief
12-08-2006, 07:38 AM
We'd definitely need help from other teams at this point to squeeze into the #6 slot since our conference record is so poor. Even then, we'd be on the road to begin the play-offs, so it would be "one, done, wasn't any fun"...

I'm hoping the Chiefs wake up and smell the coffee, continue their losing ways, and move up to a much higher selecting spot in next year's draft.

Fire Me Boy!
12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Same as patteeu... if we don't go 4-0 I think we're done without serious help from other teams.

Bugeater
12-08-2006, 07:41 AM
I think Halfcan has a better chance of scoring with that chick than the Chiefs do of making the playoffs.

Chiefnj
12-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I think it's possible primarily because the other wild cards teams are just as inconsistent as KC. Denver will struggle with a new QB. Jax is just as inconsistent as KC and is also a poor road team. Cincy's D is looking improved, but I think they are still much like the 2003 Chiefs. The Jets probably have the best shot because of their schedule, but they are still the Jets and if there is a way to blow the organization will.

Deberg_1990
12-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Nope. no hope. I think we end up 9-7 overall.

Even if they manage to backdoor themselves into the playoffs, its a 1 and done deal.

Sorry, im not more optimistic, im just callin it like ive seen it for the past 18 years or so...

cdcox
12-08-2006, 08:04 AM
... im just callin it like ive seen it for the past 18 years or so...

So for the 17 prior to Carl's arrival you were all optimisiic and rah-rah, but the second he showed up it was all doom and gloom? OK.

Easy 6
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm still hopeful, but its a queasy kind of hopeful. Deep down i feel like i'm waiting for next year.

Nothing says IF like needing 2 or 3 other teams to lose a few games.

Thats not a very good indicator of playoff success.

greg63
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Nope. no hope. I think we end up 9-7 overall.

Even if they manage to backdoor themselves into the playoffs, its a 1 and done deal.

Sorry, im not more optimistic, im just callin it like ive seen it for the past 18 years or so...

Ditto.

cdcox
12-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm still hopeful, but its a queasy kind of hopeful. Deep down i feel like i'm waiting for next year.

Nothing says IF like needing 2 or 3 other teams to lose a few games.

Thats not a very good indicator of playoff success.

I tell you what, I'm a whole lot more worried about the Chiefs being able to win 3 of their last 4 than I am about the other teams screwing up. These teams are all 7-5 because they are average, 'cept for maybe the Bengals, who I think just went into a mid-season slump.

KC Jones
12-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Absolutely not. If we can't take the Browns on the road I see little to no chance of us winning 3+ of our remaining schedule:

Ravens
@San Diego
@Oakland
Jax

We may very well go 1-3 down that stretch.

Halfcan
12-08-2006, 08:11 AM
I think Halfcan has a better chance of scoring with that chick than the Chiefs do of making the playoffs.

Maybe we can give the Ravens some GHB.

NaptownChief
12-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Our defense appears to be a pretty big joke. Cleveland for all practical purposes has been shut out two of their last three games yet laid 31 on the Chiefs. When you give up 31 to an offense that is so pitiful that they struggle to even score a single point against the other teams sandwiching our game lets you know about all you need.

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Of course I hope we make the playoffs. I have to, I'm a Chiefs fan. That said, I don't see us sniffing the second round, but just to make the playoffs after everything that has happened this season is enough for me.

NaptownChief
12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
but just to make the playoffs after everything that has happened this season is enough for me.

You are definitely a Chiefs fan....So beaten down that very minor moral victories are enough to quench the pallet...

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2006, 08:23 AM
You are definitely a Chiefs fan....So beaten down that very minor moral victories are enough to quench the pallet...

...indeed sir.

...May I have another? :evil:

But seriously, I called an 8-8 season before the pre-season. They have already exceeded my expectations, so just making the playoffs is a bonus. This is a transition year, and given all the crapola we have gone through, I'm amazed we even have a winning record, much less a shot at the playoffs.

I feel good about it and you should too! :whackit:

greg63
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
...indeed sir.

But seriously, I called an 8-8 season before the pre-season. They have already exceeded my expectations, so just making the playoffs is a bonus. This is a transition year, and given all the crapola we have gone through, I'm amazed we even have a winning record, much less a shot at the playoffs.

Well they have yet to do either.

StcChief
12-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Hopeful but realist.

Still need help with our AFC record.
even these
W vs Ravens
L in SD
W in Oak
W vs Jags.

Depending on others and then a road game...We are 1 and done in playoffs.

KC-TBB
12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic...I was a Red Sox fan for years...I am still wearing red since today is friday...does that make me an idiot??? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: stupid fricken calls!

Reerun_KC
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
I think Halfcan has a better chance of scoring with a chick than the Chiefs do of making the playoffs.

Fixed your post for ya!

FAX
12-08-2006, 09:15 AM
...Just curious. :nosmilie:

When you remove hope from a Chiefs fan, Mr. greg63, all that's left is a authorized Priest Holmes jersey, a pair of jeans, and some mukluks.

FAX

greg63
12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
When you remove hope from a Chiefs fan, Mr. greg63, all that's left is a authorized Priest Holmes jersey, a pair of jeans, and some mukluks.

FAX

You are correct Mr. Fax, you are correct.

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure how to answer.

Am I expecting them to? No, not really.

Do I think they have a chance? Yes.

Do I want them to? Yes, even if we go one and out.

If we had beaten Cleveland, LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE, I'd be very optimistic. I'd be sure we'd beat Baltimore and more confident we'd beat Oakland. I'd think we'd be going 3-1 down the stretch and finish 11-5 and get a wild card.

But Cleveland pretty much snuffed out any hope I had that these Chiefs had turned the corner, and were tougher in December than previous teams. But you know what? If it hadn't been Cleveland that tripped us up, we'd probably have done it somewhere else -- losing at home to Baltimore or Jax, or losing @ Oakland. It's just the way this franchise is. Expect the worst and hopefully be surprised.

Nzoner
12-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry to be negative but no,I really don't want to see the team in the play-offs for two reasons

1.I don't buy that anything can happen,this is not a play-off caliber defense and therefore will not go very far

2.By making the play-offs Carl will use it as spin to no end,and as sad as it will be to see Arrowhead with many empty seats I think it's the only way we as fans will be able to see real change.

I for one am tired of settling for mediocrity and then having "well we made the play-offs and we have the best fans in the NFL" shoved down my throat.

Stinger
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes I am hopeful, and I will be that way until they are are either mathmatically eleminated or lose in the Playoffs. If they go one and out I will be disapointed but not as much. Given the way the season has gone with injuries, retirements, I view the making of the playsoffs a very good start for the new regime. Everyone wants home field advantage but it is not happing this year, and unlike the last few years, minus one game in Pittsburg, we have been in a position to win on the road in ever other game. When you go on the road that is what you ask your team to do and in the playoffs where anything can happen in one game.....

So yes I am still holding hope for the playoffs. Still a lot of football to be played yet.

Fairplay
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Hopeful of course.

Realistically no.

Chief Pote
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
...indeed sir.

Transition year?? He inherited a 10 and 6 team and needed to improve a defense. What he has done is f*ck up an offense and make everyone think that he has improved the defense with smoke and mirrors. Likely, the team will finish 9 and 7 (with some luck) and no playoffs again. Can't lose the games against below .500 teams.

greg63
12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry to be negative but no,I really don't want to see the team in the play-offs for two reasons

1.I don't buy that anything can happen,this is not a play-off caliber defense and therefore will not go very far

2.By making the play-offs Carl will use it as spin to no end,and as sad as it will be to see Arrowhead with many empty seats I think it's the only way we as fans will be able to see real change.

I for one am tired of settling for mediocrity and then having "well we made the play-offs and we have the best fans in the NFL" shoved down my throat.

Agreed!

Psyko Tek
12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
OH i got hope...

I also hope Angellina Jolise , HAlle Bery , and Jessica Alba will al gangf suck my dick,

but that's hope for ya'

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
OH i got hope...

I also hope Angellina Jolise , HAlle Bery , and Jessica Alba will al gangf suck my dick,

but that's hope for ya'

Sadly, your other hope is more probable than a Chiefs playoff berth...

Chiefs4fan
12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
There is no doubt in my mind this team makes the playoffs...I'll even go so far as to say they will win the AFC West.

San Diego is so over-rated it's not even funny. I remember a 20-6 beatdown of them at Arrowhead at halftime back in Week 7...we'll kill them in their place.

we have LJ the best RB in the league to carry us through the final stretch, he'll prove he's better than Ladanian in 2 weeks.

and who's going to come into Arrowhead and win? no one. ;)

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Transition year?? He inherited a 10 and 6 team and needed to improve a defense. What he has done is f*ck up an offense and make everyone think that he has improved the defense with smoke and mirrors. Likely, the team will finish 9 and 7 (with some luck) and no playoffs again. Can't lose the games against below .500 teams.

Um, I don't think that Roaf retiring, TRich going away, the Welborn fiasco, and Trent's injury are really Herm's fault. The fact that we are playing more conservative and smarter offense is not a bad thing, but it is different than what we have been doing. Not nearly as sexy. In order to make the defense better, you have to make the offense slower to keep the defense off the field.

He has improved the defense. But any time you install a new coach and a new coaching philosophy (Offense to Defense) it is a transition year.

BTW, that is no excuse for the Cleveland loss, because there is no excuse for that loss, but I'd say Herm has weathered this storm this season better than DV would have given the same obsticals.

Chiefnj
12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Not nearly as sexy. In order to make the defense better, you have to make the offense slower to keep the defense off the field.

FACT

2006 Chiefs are presently 13th in the league in TOP at 30:12.

2005 DV Chiefs were 3rd in the league with a TOP of 32:09.

Herm's "ball control, keep the D off the field defense" has slipped 10 spots down and has the defense on the field about an extra 2 minutes per game on average.

FAX
12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
FACT

Herm's "ball control, keep the D off the field defense" has slipped 10 spots down and has the defense on the field about an extra 2 minutes per game on average.

That's the stat that's been jumping out at me for the last few weeks, Mr. Chiefnj.

Hermie is beginning to look like the Smoke and Mirror man.

FAX

alpha_omega
12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
There is no doubt in my mind this team makes the playoffs...I'll even go so far as to say they will win the AFC West.

San Diego is so over-rated it's not even funny. I remember a 20-6 beatdown of them at Arrowhead at halftime back in Week 7...we'll kill them in their place.

we have LJ the best RB in the league to carry us through the final stretch, he'll prove he's better than Ladanian in 2 weeks.

WOW...now that is some optimism!

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
FACT

Ouch. Good stat, I didn't know that. I guess I've been drinking the Herm Koolaide...

...sure was tasty. Thanks for ruining it for me. :(

Chiefs4fan
12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
WOW...now that is some optimism!
Yep I know I'm trying to look at the bright side...

but is it really that far off if we can beat the Ravens at home on Sunday? and then go on to sweep the Boltz..

I think this team can do it.

tk13
12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
With our luck, we will go 3-1, and miss out on the playoffs by losing a tiebreaker to Cincy because they pulled off a huge win in Indy or Denver.

TrickyNicky
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I have hope the Chiefs win out. I'm an idealist, so sue me.

TrickyNicky
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
With our luck, we will go 3-1, and miss out on the playoffs by losing a tiebreaker to Cincy because they pulled off a huge win in Indy or Denver.
Indeed. My biggest fear is that we beat the Ravens, go on the road and play inspired against the Bolts for a win only to have our team no-show @Oakland...

ct
12-08-2006, 03:05 PM
With our schedule, and weak performances on the road, 9-7 is the best we're gonna do IMO. So, with that in mind, I'd rather go 8-8 (cannot accept a loss to Oakland), and perhaps a shot at the Levi Brown/Sam Baker/DeMarcus Tyler types.

SCTrojan
12-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I'll be hopeful until there is no longer a mathematical possiblity for us to go. Of course, if we lose, the hope gets less and less.

greg63
12-08-2006, 05:59 PM

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Rain Man
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Super Bowl, here we come.

CoMoChief
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
11-5 Surely we make the playoffs

10-6 We still could, but it would take a miracle, given our shitty conference record.

9-7 No ****ing way this record gets it done, not in this conference. Too bad we arent in the NFC, we might get a home game. hah

greg63
12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
11-5 Surely we make the playoffs

10-6 We still could, but it would take a miracle, given our shitty conference record.

9-7 No ****ing way this record gets it done, not in this conference. Too bad we arent in the NFC, we might get a home game. hah

11-5 isn't gonna happen, so file that away under "F" for fantacy.

10-6 = last year.

BigRock
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I disagree with the "it doesn't matter, we'll just go on the road and lose" posts. The 3 and 4 seeds will be Baltimore and New England. If the Ravens come to KC this weekend and beat us, that's one thing... but until that happens, we've never lost to or at Baltimore. And the Pats, who we beat pretty solidly a year ago, are playing like Raiduhs at home.

Either of those two games would be winnable. After that, we could get the Colts. LJ against that run defense?

We could do some things in the playoffs. But to answer the inital question, I'm not really holding out hope that we'll get there. :(

greg63
12-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Bowl, here we come.

In what decade?

Adept Havelock
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Nope. Just hoping we can finish the year strong at this point. If it happens, great.

tk13
12-08-2006, 07:48 PM
I disagree with the "it doesn't matter, we'll just go on the road and lose" posts. The 3 and 4 seeds will be Baltimore and New England. If the Ravens come to KC this weekend and beat us, that's one thing... but until that happens, we've never lost to or at Baltimore. And the Pats, who we beat pretty solidly a year ago, are playing like Raiduhs at home.

Either of those two games would be winnable. After that, we could get the Colts. LJ against that run defense?

We could do some things in the playoffs. But to answer the inital question, I'm not really holding out hope that we'll get there. :(
I actually agree with that. We are a bad road team but that doesn't mean I still wouldn't want to give it a shot. The entire NFL sucks... that's how a 6 seed can blow the AFC away last year. Pittsburgh got totally annihilated in Indianapolis last year during the season, playoffs rolled around and they turned the tables.

Exact same thing could happen this year too... if Cincy or somebody gets hot down the stretch, they could ride that wave all the way past these division winners, zero doubt in my mind. None of these teams look great, except for San Diego, and Marty's gonna have to prove it before I jump on his bandwagon in January. Parity has become mediocrity.