PDA

View Full Version : Royals sign Dotel

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/redSox/?p=779

According to sources, right-hander Octavio Dotel has turned down an offer from the Red Sox to accept a one-year deal worth a guaranteed $5 million from the Kansas City Royals.

Dotel’s deal also is believed to include as much as $2 million in incentives that could bring the deal to $7 million.

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh, shit, repost.

Do me a favor. Just kick my ass, OK? Kick this ass for a man, that's all. Kick my ass. Enjoy. Come on. I'm not asking, I'm telling you this. Kick my ass.

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, at least I didn't repost the airplane fart story for the eleventy billionth time.

Bootlegged
12-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh, shit, repost.

Do me a favor. Just kick my ass, OK? Kick this ass for a man, that's all. Kick my ass. Enjoy. Come on. I'm not asking, I'm telling you this. Kick my ass.

You've gotta keep your head on a swivel when a vicious cock-fight breaks out.

Eleazar
12-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Good signing. This is the perfect time to get him too, the second year after his Tommy John surgery. The Yankees paid him during his rehab year.

I read in the Herald the other day that he was pitching in Dominica this offseason and the scouts were impressed so he seems to be healthy. Whether these moves work out or not, damn, it feels nice to get players the Cubs and Red Sox and Yankees were chasing.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
i wish the team had an option for an additional year

AJKCFAN
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Royals reach agreement with Dotel, sign lefty reliever from Japan
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
The winter meetings are over, but the Royals show no signs of slowing down.

They reached an agreement Friday morning on a one-year contract with veteran reliever Octavio Dotel and further supplemented their bullpen by signing left-hander John Bale to a two-year deal.

Bale spent the last three years pitching for the Hiroshima Carp in the Japanese Central League after spending parts of four seasons in the big leagues with the Blue Jays, Orioles and Reds.

The Royals might not be done, either. General manager Dayton Moore said the club is continuing to pursue free-agent pitcher Miguel Batista and also exploring trade options.

“We’ve helped ourselves,” he said. “We’ve done the best we possibly could at this point in time.”

The latest deals came one day after the Royals reached agreement with free-agent pitcher Gil Meche on a five-year contract for $55 million and two days after they acquired pitcher Brian Bannister from the New York Mets in a trade for reliever Ambiorix Burgos.

Dotel, 33, chose the Royals over the Red Sox, Indians, Devil Rays and Yankees because of the opportunity to serve as the closer. He saved a career-high 36 games in 2004 while splitting time with the Astros and A’s but missed much of the last two seasons while recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery.

The deal with Dotel calls for $5 million in guaranteed money with the possibility of another $2 million through performance bonuses.

Dotel struggled last season in 14 outings for the Yankees after returning from surgery. He allowed 12 earned runs and 18 hits in just 10 innings, but the Royals expressed confidence that he is fully recovered.

Moore said reports indicated Dotel pushed his fastball to 93-94 mph and showed a plus slider Wednesday while pitching in the Dominican Winter League.

Dotel is 37-31 with 71 career saves and a 3.75 ERA in eight major-league seasons with the Mets, Astros, A’s and Yankees. He averaged 69 appearances from 2000-04.

Bale, 32, was 1-2 with six saves and a 2.93 ERA in 30 appearances last season for Hiroshima. He saved 24 games the previous year when he compiled a 3.19 ERA in 51 games.

“He’s versatile,” Moore said. “I’m not saying he couldn’t start, but right now we’re looking at him as a reliever, probably in the middle.”

Bale picked the Royals over the Yankees, who offered a one-year deal. He made 27 big-league appearances, including nine starts, from 1999-2003 and went 2-2 with a 4.69 ERA.

The Royals are still waiting to hear back from Batista on their offer of $24 million over three years. The club seems unwilling, at this point, to sweeten that offer, which suggests Batista might be leaning toward signing elsewhere.

Batista, 35, pitched briefly for the Royals in 2000 and went 11-8 with a 4.58 ERA last season in 34 games for Arizona. He is 68-79 with a 4.46 ERA in 397 games, including 185 starts, in his 12-year career.

The Royals have yet to clear roster space to accommodate the acquisitions of Meche, Dotel and Bale. Barring space-clearing trades, the deletions are likely to come from the pitching staff. Possibilities include Danny Christensen, Scott Dohmann, Brandon Duckworth and Neal Musser.

Coach
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Are the Royals thinking of brining back Redman, or did he sign somewhere else already?

teedubya
12-08-2006, 12:42 PM
sure is nice to see Dayton doing things... making shit happen. Next offseason we get another player to plug our lineup... 2008, we are contenders for WC.

Adept Havelock
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Bale is going from the Carp to the Crap. ;)

Glad to see Dayton here trying to revive this franchise. I like what I've seen from him so far. Hopefully Glass will keep the pocketbook open more than he has in the past.

Mr. Laz
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Are the Royals thinking of brining back Redman, or did he sign somewhere else already?
they say they are still interested .....

i imagine it depends on cash .... like most times

Halfcan
12-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I am not sure these are good moves-but it is nice to see Moore getting in there and keeping busy. Seems like he is doing his best-so that is all you can ask for.

Anyong Bluth
12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Armchair GM's...

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I honsetly think Glass has realized that you have to spend some money to make things work in baseball.

sedated
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM

I think they want to sign either Bautista or Redman.

they've done pretty damn good so far, if these signings work out.

*crossing fingers* don't want a repeat of the post-2003 offseason

Reaper16
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Last time Bale was in the bigs, his catcher was Jason LaRue at Cleveland. :hmmm:

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, if he's healthy he'll make good trade fodder come the summer months. If not, you've just invested 15 million this year in Gil Meche and Octavio Dotel...ROFL...sorry, it's just....ROFL ROFL.

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, if he's healthy he'll make good trade fodder come the summer months. If not, you've just invested 15 million this year in Gil Meche and Octavio Dotel...ROFL...sorry, it's just....ROFL ROFL.

That's pretty big of you to whack the retarded kid over the head with your WS trophy right after his mommy bought him a new pack of baseball cards.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
That's pretty big of you to whack the retarded kid over the head with your WS trophy right after his mommy bought him a new pack of baseball cards.

Sorry dude, I just can't help but push cripples down the stairs. Watching them land is so much fun :D.

(FWIW, if they actually made a good signing, I would laud them)...still waiting.

BigChiefFan
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry dude, I just can't help but push cripples down the stairs. Watching them land is so much fun :D.

(FWIW, if they actually made a good signing, I would laud them)...still waiting.
If Suppan can make a contribution to a team, than Meche can as well. Meche is a good start and far from being laughable. You act as if Meche has a 6.0 ERA. He's a solid pitcher, who could start to ascend, that's worthy of taking a chance on given our shit players that call themselves pitchers in recent years. I don't see why you think you're in the know and Dayton Moore doesn't have a clue about Meche.

DanT
12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
From what I've seen of Dayton Moore before the signings he made this month, he knows a helluva lot more about talent than I do. Decisions like the Dotel and Meche signings are exactly the sort in which he will or won't prove himself. I'm very willing to wait and see how they pan out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we get a total of well over 250 innings of high quality pitching from our new starter and our new closer.

tk13
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I really like this signing, Dotel appears to be healthy. Dayton said he looked great, the Red Sox also scouted him the other night in winter ball.... and were very impressed, so he looks okay. His stuff is filthy, and I've always liked the idea of having a veteran closer. I always thought we should've done that years ago, put a veteran closer in so guys like MacDougal, Burgos, and now probably Ryan Braun can work their way in being a setup man.

12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Dotel has great stuff.....but...he is better suited for the national league..where they hack at anything from there eyes to the dirt...he could not throw a strike to save his life in key situations last year against patient hitters..

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Rankings of some offseason moves so far:
P.S. Look who's 1st and look who's last. :evil: (Sorry Royal Fans)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-wmwrap120706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Reaper16
12-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Rankings of some offseason moves so far:
P.S. Look who's 1st and look who's last. :evil: (Sorry Royal Fans)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-wmwrap120706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
I miss Passan.

teedubya
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Hamas is ****ing douche... and these cocks wonder why we hate Cardinal fans. **** you.

Calcountry
12-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Good signing. This is the perfect time to get him too, the second year after his Tommy John surgery. The Yankees paid him during his rehab year.

I read in the Herald the other day that he was pitching in Dominica this offseason and the scouts were impressed so he seems to be healthy. Whether these moves work out or not, damn, it feels nice to get players the Cubs and Red Sox and Yankees were chasing.I wasn't impressed with him prior to the surgery in Oakland, and it was very debatable whether he needed the surgury or not, yet he STILL wanted it.

Good luck with it.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2006, 08:45 PM
If Cardinals signed Dotel and Meche we would hear how great of signings they were.

huskerdooz
12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
A few years ago the Cardinals took a chance on a pitcher that at the age of 28 had very similar statistics to Meche and was coming off of major arm surgery. It was a gamble for them, albeit not one that had the potential to be so costly but a gamble none the less. It seemed to work out for them, that pitcher whom they signed away from the Toronto Blue Jays has become the best pitcher in the NL, Chris Carpenter. Hopefully the Royals gamble will payoff somewhere close to the one the Cardinals made.

In Joe Pos' article he named another SP that had similar statistics at the age of 28 that developed into a dominant SP as well. We could be so lucky to have him turn out the same. The SP he was referring to was Jason Schmidt.

Interesting that Passan calls Meche a sinkerballer and Moore calls him a pitcher with a mid 90's fastball and possibly the best overhand 12 to 6 curveball in the MLs. Which one do you think knows more about evaluating a pitchers stuff.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Hamas is ****ing douche... and these cocks wonder why we hate Cardinal fans. **** you.

Goddamn are your lips chapped. It's not my fault the guy made a poor move. Should I bow down in reverence to a man who has orchestrated absolutely nothing at the big league level?

Per the Above Link:

Worst Contract, Vol. 1: Gil Meche, Kansas City Royals, five years, $55 million. If the Royals were going to give out that amount of years and dollars, why didn't they just go after A.J. Burnett last season? In Meche, they get a sinkerballer who spent time in the minor leagues two years ago and has found minimal success at the big-league level.

I'm a douche, eh? Facts are facts, and if you are going to get bent out of shape for the stupid decisions your team makes and take it out on me, then maybe you should find a different franchise to root for or STFU, because the decisions aren't getting any better.

Anyong Bluth
12-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Between Meche and Dotel, you had guys that many teams were wanting including the O's, Cubs, Blue Jays, Red Sox's and others...

I'll take the chance, cause guess what f'ers. Making no moves will tell ya exactly where you'll be, signing a few guys atleast keeps the hope up that it could be a good move!

Reaper16
12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
then maybe you should find a different franchise to root for or STFU
Oh c'mon! Most of us don't just up and "find" a team to follow. This is kind of disgusting.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 09:28 PM
A few years ago the Cardinals took a chance on a pitcher that at the age of 28 had very similar statistics to Meche and was coming off of major arm surgery. It was a gamble for them, albeit not one that had the potential to be so costly but a gamble none the less. It seemed to work out for them, that pitcher whom they signed away from the Toronto Blue Jays has become the best pitcher in the NL, Chris Carpenter. Hopefully the Royals gamble will payoff somewhere close to the one the Cardinals made.

In Joe Pos' article he named another SP that had similar statistics at the age of 28 that developed into a dominant SP as well. We could be so lucky to have him turn out the same. The SP he was referring to was Jason Schmidt.

Interesting that Passan calls Meche a sinkerballer and Moore calls him a pitcher with a mid 90's fastball and possibly the best overhand 12 to 6 curveball in the MLs. Which one do you think knows more about evaluating a pitchers stuff.

Obviously not Moore, because Meche doesn't even have the best 12-6 hook in this state. He doesn't even have the second best. And if Morris were still wearing a Cards jersey, he wouldn't even be in the top three. That shit is laughable..

Pos is a homer. Always will be. It's endearing, but it makes his analysis less than pointed.

BTW, the Cards also paid Carpenter less than 1/10th of what Meche got. Nice comparison, dumbass. Oh, and the Cards also have a real pitching coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh c'mon! Most of us don't just up and "find" a team to follow. This is kind of disgusting.

That wasn't the point of that statement, dude. Nice misread, though. He needs to shut his mouth if he's going to take umbrage to every criticism of his team when they are the worst franchise in the major leagues and possibly all of organized sports at this moment. If he can't take the heat, then he should get out of the kitchen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Gil Meche has identical career stats to Kip Wells, despite pitching in one of the friendliest pitcher's parks in the bigs, and St. Louis got Wells for 4 million for 1 year. 1/14th the investment. Some GM's know what they're doing, and some are running the Royals.

tk13
12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Whoa, whoa, somebody needs to come in and beat Hamas down I see.

Kip Wells is gonna be 30, and he's gone downhill badly the last three years. That tells you how bad the market is when Kip Wells gets 4 million. That's about how much the Royals paid Mark Redman last year, and he actually pitched.

Meche struck out more guys last year than Kip Wells ever has, and by all accounts has nasty stuff. Besides what Moore said, I was reading a couple Mariners sites' blog-type entries during the middle of last season, Meche is a fastball/curveball pitcher. And I would guess Hamas has never actually watched him pitch.

I agree, it's a HUGE risk, but I'm willing to be patient here. Until he proves me wrong I'll listen to Dayton's pitcher evaluation skills. You can sit there and crack Moore all you want, but he's only been with the Royals about 6 months... he's spent most of the last 15 years evaluating pitchers for the Braves, they didn't do too bad of a job. I'm sure he'll have some flops like everyone else but I feel good about his background in evaluating pitchers.

Reaper16
12-08-2006, 10:07 PM
We HAD to take a risk like this one. I'm no fan of the size of the contract, but if thats what it takes to prove Moore and the Royals as serious players going forward, then so be it. I'm cautiously optimistic that Meche can put it together and be a quality number 2 level starter for the next 5 years. And if not, they'll ship him off and eat salary. It's a big risk, but one I feel the Royals had to take.

KevB
12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
That wasn't the point of that statement, dude. Nice misread, though. He needs to shut his mouth if he's going to take umbrage to every criticism of his team when they are the worst franchise in the major leagues and possibly all of organized sports at this moment. If he can't take the heat, then he should get out of the kitchen.

So, because he's stuck it out with a team that has been less than successful (ahem), he's just supposed to bend over and take it from a f'in Cardinal fan? You're nuts. It tells you the kind of fans the Royals have that, despite the terrible performance for more than a decade, he still comes to the team's defense. The piss poor performance leads to a short fuse, but what do you expect?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Whoa, whoa, somebody needs to come in and beat Hamas down I see.

Kip Wells is gonna be 30, and he's gone downhill badly the last three years. That tells you how bad the market is when Kip Wells gets 4 million. That's about how much the Royals paid Mark Redman last year, and he actually pitched.

Meche struck out more guys last year than Kip Wells ever has, and by all accounts has nasty stuff. Besides what Moore said, I was reading a couple Mariners sites' blog-type entries during the middle of last season, Meche is a fastball/curveball pitcher. And I would guess Hamas has never actually watched him pitch.

I agree, it's a HUGE risk, but I'm willing to be patient here. Until he proves me wrong I'll listen to Dayton's pitcher evaluation skills. You can sit there and crack Moore all you want, but he's only been with the Royals about 6 months... he's spent most of the last 15 years evaluating pitchers for the Braves, they didn't do too bad of a job. I'm sure he'll have some flops like everyone else but I feel good about his background in evaluating pitchers.

Honestly,

Who did Moore draft/evaluate in Atlanta? Who did they draft in the last 15 years who has been a great starter. Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux were before his time, and Smoltz and Maddux came from other organizations. Who does he have to gloat about? Jaret Wright? Kevin Millwood? Jason Marquis? I guess they drafted Wainwright, but they expected him to be a #1 and got rid of him before he ever pitched for them in the bigs.

Just because Leo Mazzone is a good pitching coach doesn't mean that Dayton Moore knows how to evaluate pitching talent.

Wells is 29 Meche is 28. They have almost identical career WHIPs and ERA's. Wells got 4 million and Meche got 55. That's insane. I'm not saying that Wells is as good as Meche, but it sure as hell isn't a 1300% difference, or even 650% if you want to argue that the Royals had to pay him twice what he was worth.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
So, because he's stuck it out with a team that has been less than successful (ahem), he's just supposed to bend over and take it from a f'in Cardinal fan? You're nuts. It tells you the kind of fans the Royals have that, despite the terrible performance for more than a decade, he still comes to the team's defense. The piss poor performance leads to a short fuse, but what do you expect?

It's not "bending over and taking it". It's the truth. It's not my fault his GM made a horrible signing, it's Moore's. Just because the signing has been universally ridiculed and rightfully panned does not mean that it's my fault.

SnakeXJones
12-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Honestly,

Who did Moore draft/evaluate in Atlanta? Who did they draft in the last 15 years who has been a great starter. Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux were before his time, and Smoltz and Maddux came from other organizations. Who does he have to gloat about? Jaret Wright? Kevin Millwood? Jason Marquis? I guess they drafted Wainwright, but they expected him to be a #1 and got rid of him before he ever pitched for them in the bigs.

Just because Leo Mazzone is a good pitching coach doesn't mean that Dayton Moore knows how to evaluate pitching talent.

Wells is 29 Meche is 28. They have almost identical career WHIPs and ERA's. Wells got 4 million and Meche got 55. That's insane. I'm not saying that Wells is as good as Meche, but it sure as hell isn't a 1300% difference, or even 650% if you want to argue that the Royals had to pay him twice what he was worth.

Actually Meche numbers compare to both Carpenters and Schmidt at age 28 from Posnanski new article....

Meche - 55 wins, 44 losses, 4.65 ERA, 815 innings, 810 hits, 575 strikeouts, 363 walks

Carpenters - 49 wins, 50 losses, 4.83 ERA, 870 innings, 870 hits, 612 strikeouts, 331 walks

Schmidt - 43 wins, 47 losses, 4.58 ERA, 799 innings, 846 hits, 586 strikeouts, 344 walks

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Actually Meche numbers compare to both Carpenters and Schmidt at age 28 from Posnanski new article....

Meche - 55 wins, 44 losses, 4.65 ERA, 815 innings, 810 hits, 575 strikeouts, 363 walks

Carpenters - 49 wins, 50 losses, 4.83 ERA, 870 innings, 870 hits, 612 strikeouts, 331 walks

Schmidt - 43 wins, 47 losses, 4.58 ERA, 799 innings, 846 hits, 586 strikeouts, 344 walks

Yeah, and look at what the Cardinals paid for Carpenter opposed to what the Royals paid for Meche.

tk13
12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Honestly,

You'll get no argument from me, the market is out of control. As Moore said, he can't control the market.

I mean, I made the point on one of the Royals boards the other night... I don't think there was THAT much difference between Zito's and Meche's performances last year.

Zito had the lower ERA, and he averaged about 2/3rd IP more a game... but otherwise, they're pretty similar. Meche actually had a better K rate, their walk rate was pretty similar. Meche allowed 3 runs or less in 21 of his 32 starts. Zito allowed 3 runs or less in 22 of his 34 starts, so they kept their teams in about the same number of games. And Zito's been pitching like that for about 3 years now... he's been a slightly above .500 pitcher who will give you 90 BB/160 K, Meche can do that. Zito's not the 23-5 guy from about five years ago. And he's gonna get MASSIVE money probably. That's the market.

RJ
12-08-2006, 10:33 PM
In 2004 Dotel had 122 K and 33 BB in 85 IP. That's wicked stuff and well worth taking a chance on if you need a closer. The Royals got a bargain, maybe a steal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
You'll get no argument from me, the market is out of control. As Moore said, he can't control the market.

I mean, I made the point on one of the Royals boards the other night... I don't think there was THAT much difference between Zito's and Meche's performances last year.

Zito had the lower ERA, and he averaged about 2/3rd IP more a game... but otherwise, they're pretty similar. Meche actually had a better K rate, their walk rate was pretty similar. Meche allowed 3 runs or less in 21 of his 32 starts. Zito allowed 3 runs or less in 22 of his 34 starts, so they kept their teams in about the same number of games. And Zito's been pitching like that for about 3 years now... he's been a slightly above .500 pitcher who will give you 90 BB/160 K, Meche can do that. Zito's not the 23-5 guy from about five years ago. And he's gonna get MASSIVE money probably. That's the market.

Barry Zito getting 18 Mil from a team like the Mets is a better investment than Meche getting 11 mil/year from the Royals. Think about the percentage of the team's payroll that is going to be eaten up by one guy who hasn't yet proven he can be any better than a #3-4 starter. He may have great stuff, but there are tons of guys in AAA who have great stuff. Stuff doesn't translate into results.

***Edit*** You also aren't addressing the fact that your GM hasn't done anything other than be in Atlanta while Mazzone either had 3 HOF pitchers or patched together retreads to finish out the rotation. There is nothing Dayton Moore has done as a pitching evaluator that is worthy of lauding.

SnakeXJones
12-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, and look at what the Cardinals paid for Carpenter opposed to what the Royals paid for Meche.

Royals might overpaid for Meche but I am not bitching about it ... it's a risk that Dayton Moore is willing to take to turn this franchise around then I am for it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Royals might overpaid for Meche but I am not bitching about it ... it's a risk that Dayton Moore is willing to take to turn this franchise around I am for it.

Two guys walk into a casino to play roulette. One guy has 10,000, the other guy has 1,000, but it's his last 1,000 in the bank.

Is it really smart for that guy to bet 800 on 1-12just because the guy with 10K put down 600 on the same numbers? There are smart risks, and there are stupid risks. You guys need to take reclamation projects and try to fix them and package them for more draft picks, not overpay for middle of the rotation starters unless they are going to put your team over the top.

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 12:08 AM
I say you wait to see how the moves pan out before ripping them. Moore is probably going to do ALOT for this organization than anyone has the past 10 years. Baird and Herk the Jerkoff didn't do shit. Baird got lucky with Teahan.

Miles
12-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I think Dotel is a really nice pickup for them. If there record gets rough during the season the creates an interesting possibility of quality trade bait around the deadline if he is back to form. Kind of a round about way of buying good young players or prospects and getting the short term use of an exciting pitcher.

Mecca
12-09-2006, 12:44 AM
The Atlanta Braves organization is loaded with talent......it was even more so before guys like Francouer and McCann came up and Marte and Wainwright were traded.......

Also the Braves are the team that drafted and developed Schmidt before also trading him....

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 12:50 AM
The Atlanta Braves organization is loaded with talent......it was even more so before guys like Francouer and McCann came up and Marte and Wainwright were traded.......

Also the Braves are the team that drafted and developed Schmidt before also trading him....

Andy Marte, McCann and Francouer are position players, not pitchers, genius, and Moore didn't even join the Braves until 94 and had nothing to do with the drafting of Schmidt, who was chosen in 1991.

Get your facts straight.

BWillie
12-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Bla bla bla Hummus. Royals still have as many World Series as the Cards do in the last 20 years and Royalty even won heads up. That's right :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Bla bla bla Hummus. Royals still have as many World Series as the Cards do in the last 20 years and Royalty even won heads up. That's right :D

You've also got us in the 100 loss column. What is that, 4 out of the last 5 now. Good work :thumb:

Hammock Parties
12-09-2006, 01:47 AM
hummus, you have the be the biggest dumbass when it comes to baseball... If all you are going to do is try to smash us royals fans hopes for actually having a good team one day, then go the **** away you dumbass noob.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 01:52 AM
hummus, you have the be the biggest dumbass when it comes to baseball... If all you are going to do is try to smash us royals fans hopes for actually having a good team one day, then go the **** away you dumbass noob.

How am I dumbass. I actually feel sorry for you guys, but I'm not going to suffer fools when they act like dicks and support bad moves by their GM just b/c he's new on the job.

I'm also the only one whose attempted to preface my statements with any semblance of factual and/or statistical analysis. I backed my claims up with evidence, those who were opposing me definitely did not.

The last time I checked, being a sports fan wasn't playing a f*cking game of Candyland, you ignorant cocksucker. Grown men make decisions and play the games, and they f*ck up during the process....pointing out the f*ckups doesn't mean I'm an asshole, it just means I can call a spade a spade.

Pull really quick and it might not hurt too much to get your head out of your ass.

Hammock Parties
12-09-2006, 02:02 AM
calm down little buddy, when we get excited about something, quit trying to be the bearer of what you consider bad news. Us royals fans are used to our gms not spending squat on players, and we see how much is being thrown at gil meche(which has a prety dcent track record) and we get excited, no need to run around trying to derail us. Its not like we're in the same division, so don't try and be an asshole please

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 02:05 AM
calm down little buddy, when we get excited about something, quit trying to be the bearer of what you consider bad news. Us royals fans are used to our gms not spending squat on players, and we see how much is being thrown at gil meche(which has a prety dcent track record) and we get excited, no need to run around trying to derail us. Its not like we're in the same division, so don't try and be an asshole please

Being a realist does not = being an asshole.

The truth hurts, man. You guys also could have waited to see how the market was going to play out instead of making the perennial free agency mistake of splurging on a middle of the road pitcher because of potential (See: Benson, Kris; Wright, Jaret; Pavano, Carl; Clement, Matt)...the list goes on. Think about all the dead weight spent on middle of the rotation pitchers who aren't worth a damn in FA. The value you get on your returns is microscopic, historically.

Mecca
12-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Andy Marte, McCann and Francouer are position players, not pitchers, genius, and Moore didn't even join the Braves until 94 and had nothing to do with the drafting of Schmidt, who was chosen in 1991.

Get your facts straight.

I was talking about talent in general....not just pitching talent....

tk13
12-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Hey, it's a huge risk. It's a massive risk. He could be a total flameout. I don't disagree with that at all. It's a little nerveracking because it is a huge risk. But at this point, what are we gonna do, lose 100 games again? I actually liked the moves like picking up Mark Redman, he looked like an 'average' pitcher, but that sure the heck didn't work. There are a lot of signings like this that can flop, although pretty much all the guys you named ended up in NY and Boston. Way different animal than Kansas City.

And maybe you're right, maybe Moore will be a flop and show he knows nothing about pitching or building a team, and Mazzone was a good pitching coach. But Dayton spent more than a decade learning under John Schuerholz. You can sit here and throw out as many cuss words and generalities as you want, but Schuerholz is a GREAT general manager. He had a lot to do with the Braves success, and the Royals success before that. I mean anything's possible, maybe Dayton won't amount to anything, but I think he learned from one of the best, if not the best GM in pro sports. A lot of people assumed he was going to be Schuerholz's replacement. He's definitely aggressive though.

That's the beauty of baseball. There is more than one way to do it. There is no "right answer" like the NFL, where you generally need to draft together a top 5 defense and a running game, and blammo. In baseball there are 1000 different ways to build a winning team. Just look at the final four teams this year... you had a big spender (Mets), a team that basically lives off picking up other teams' rejects (Cards), a "Moneyball" team (A's), and a team that developed a ton of power arms and power bats, to go with some overpaid FA's (Tigers). Four distinctly different styles of team-building. I thought the Kenny Rogers contract was nuts, but hey, it got them to a World Series.

Plus, part of it is just that we have money to spend, I guess. I think Glass was taking a lot of heat over this luxury tax thing. And so we went out and spent some money. I mean really so far the Royals haven't spent that much more than last year... last year they added Redman/Elarton/Grudz/Sanders... and that was 17-20 million right there. This year we've just put that money into a younger pitcher and Dotel. As long as it doesn't affect our ability to re-sign the talent we develop it's fine with me, and I don't think it will. That's gonna be the key anyway, how guys like Gordon and Butler and Hochevar develop.

tk13
12-09-2006, 04:13 AM
I would also say, of those guys you mentioned... Clement, Wright, and Pavano all had their breakout years exactly at the age of 28. Now all three of them went on to either New York or Boston and melted down under the pressure... but the success to catapult them to those big deals all happened at 28. All three were very iffy pitchers... Clement went to the Cubs at 28, broke out, had three very good years, then went to Boston and melted down. Wright went to the Braves right before he turned 28, ended up having his best season by a mile, which he turned into the Yankees contract. Pavano also had very iffy numbers, broke out at 28 with a 18 win, 3.00 ERA season, before turning it into another failed Yankees contract.

That's pretty amazing when you look at it really, all these guys breaking out at exactly 28 years old.

Crush
12-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Can we actually, you know, not suck this year? That's all I'm asking, Royals. Please for the love of God, don't suck this upcoming year.

penchief
12-09-2006, 09:13 AM

I read in the Herald the other day that he was pitching in Dominica this offseason and the scouts were impressed so he seems to be healthy. Whether these moves work out or not, damn, it feels nice to get players the Cubs and Red Sox and Yankees were chasing.

Yeah. You guys are probably going to benefit. He never was right last year but he showed flashes. He was definitely rehabbing.

I had hopes that the Yanks would resign him. Letting John Leiber go in the same manner really cost the Yankees last year, IMO.

12-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah. You guys are probably going to benefit. He never was right last year but he showed flashes. He was definitely rehabbing.

I had hopes that the Yanks would resign him. Letting John Leiber go in the same manner really cost the Yankees last year, IMO.
They should have never let Leiber or Pettite go..Idiot Steinbrenner..

Dotel had problems with his control last year..his stuff is great..he just has to get command of it..

teedubya
12-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Goddamn are your lips chapped. It's not my fault the guy made a poor move. Should I bow down in reverence to a man who has orchestrated absolutely nothing at the big league level?

Per the Above Link:

Worst Contract, Vol. 1: Gil Meche, Kansas City Royals, five years, $55 million. If the Royals were going to give out that amount of years and dollars, why didn't they just go after A.J. Burnett last season? In Meche, they get a sinkerballer who spent time in the minor leagues two years ago and has found minimal success at the big-league level.

I'm a douche, eh? Facts are facts, and if you are going to get bent out of shape for the stupid decisions your team makes and take it out on me, then maybe you should find a different franchise to root for or STFU, because the decisions aren't getting any better.

Yeah, you are an asshole piece of shit. Is that better? Take your act to a ****ing Cardinals board, you cock smoke.

teedubya
12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
****head Cardinal fans are equal to ****head Bronco fans in my book.

Hummus the DOnko. Sounds about right.

Eleazar
12-09-2006, 10:43 AM

I dislike the Cardinals as much as the next guy, but sheesh. As much crap as they take from Royals fans around here, we've gotten off easy considering they just won the WS and we haven't been in the playoffs since I was using oversized pencils to write on Big Chief notepads. Somebody giving rival fans crap on a message board doesn't make them a real life ahole.

huskerdooz
12-09-2006, 11:08 AM
How am I dumbass. I actually feel sorry for you guys, but I'm not going to suffer fools when they act like dicks and support bad moves by their GM just b/c he's new on the job.

I'm also the only one whose attempted to preface my statements with any semblance of factual and/or statistical analysis. I backed my claims up with evidence, those who were opposing me definitely did not.

The last time I checked, being a sports fan wasn't playing a f*cking game of Candyland, you ignorant cocksucker. Grown men make decisions and play the games, and they f*ck up during the process....pointing out the f*ckups doesn't mean I'm an asshole, it just means I can call a spade a spade.

Pull really quick and it might not hurt too much to get your head out of your ass.

Grown men don't have to resort to language such as yours to get a point acrossed, that sir is what makes you an @$$hole.

Reaper16
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Grown men don't have to resort to language such as yours to get a point acrossed, that sir is what makes you an @$$hole.
:spock:

Anyway, I don't get the hostility towards Hamas right now. He's making sense, and supporting it with evidence. Just because there is a chance this could be a decent signing in the long run doesn't make him a bully or anything.

Frazod
12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I dislike the Cardinals as much as the next guy, but sheesh. As much crap as they take from Royals fans around here, we've gotten off easy considering they just won the WS and we haven't been in the playoffs since I was using oversized pencils to write on Big Chief notepads. Somebody giving rival fans crap on a message board doesn't make them a real life ahole.

Seriously. Seems like 99% of them are obnoxious Gayhawk fans, too. And if you're looking for a bunch that act just like Bronco fans, look no farther than the Great Vacant Lot to the West.

tk13
12-09-2006, 02:26 PM
It's all the Cubs fault, really, they've sent the entire market out of control. They just apparently signed Jason Marquis to a 3 year deal worth between 20-28 million dollars. Jason Marquis! Guy had a 6+ ERA last year. Gil Meche is a steal compared to that, haha..

Mecca
12-09-2006, 02:29 PM
It's all the Cubs fault, really, they've sent the entire market out of control. They just apparently signed Jason Marquis to a 3 year deal worth between 20-28 million dollars. Jason Marquis! Guy had a 6+ ERA last year. Gil Meche is a steal compared to that, haha..

Maybe they got tired of everyone saying "The Tribune company is to cheap to spend enough money on the Cubs"

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Jason Marquis??? for 28 mill, WOW that is out of control. I have a feeling Redman may get some money now haha

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 03:08 PM
I was talking about talent in general....not just pitching talent....

Yeah, and since Moore's role in the organization, as stated by his acolyters here, was to evalute pitchers, your point was wholly off base.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
:spock:

Anyway, I don't get the hostility towards Hamas right now. He's making sense, and supporting it with evidence. Just because there is a chance this could be a decent signing in the long run doesn't make him a bully or anything.

I appreciate that, but here is the reason for the vitriol directed towards me:

"A hit dog barks".

I'm also beginning to realize that being correct or logical has no place on this board, but rather the 'correct' answer is to go along with the mob mentality.

Bowser
12-09-2006, 03:12 PM

"A hit dog barks".

I'm also beginning to realize that being correct or logical has no place on this board, but rather the 'correct' answer is to go along with the mob mentality.

BURN HIM!!!!1

milkman
12-09-2006, 03:23 PM

"A hit dog barks".

Oh hell, why don't you just page Proctor and ask him about the PPL?

siberian khatru
12-09-2006, 03:25 PM
So you're working in the yard one Saturday afternoon when the Mrs. comes home and says, "How do you like my new hairdo?" You being the husband answer, "It's nice. It's an improvement."

Your neighbor Jenkins working in the yard next door overhears this and pokes his head over the hedges and says, "Christ, man, she still looks like shit. She always has and always will. That's what happens when you marry a ****ing dog."

Honestly, Jenkins had a point. Her hair wasn't that much better, and jeez, she spent $100 on it at the salon. But you complimented her because, well, she IS your wife, you've been married 30 years, and you had some good times together, especially in the beginning. And she HAS gone downhill the last few years, and for awhile she didn't even try. But lately she's been attempting to do better, so you encourage her and hope for the best.

Nevertheless, you're stunned by Jenkins' comment, which was uninvited and really kinda rude, and mumble something like, "Yeah, well, **** you."

And Jenkins -- who recently married a striking 22-year-old blonde with money -- responds, "Listen, mother****er, I'm just telling it like it is. Don't get pissy with me simply because I'm speaking the truth. What a goddamn pussy. No wonder you'll always be stuck with that bitch."

You sigh. It reminds you of the time the neighbor on the other side of the house, Taco John, made fun of your kids because they were spazzes who got good grades in the first marking period but always seemed to choke on the big tests in December and January. Damn Taco John -- his two kids went to Harvard and got Ph.D.'s. Yours are still in technical school.

So you keep your head down and keep raking, knowing at least the rest of the neighborhood agrees with you: It sucks living in between the two biggest assholes on Chiefs Planet Lane.

milkman
12-09-2006, 03:28 PM
That post is freakin' gold Siberian!

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 03:29 PM
So you're working in the yard one Saturday afternoon when the Mrs. comes home and says, "How do you like my new hairdo?" You being the husband answer, "It's nice. It's an improvement."

Your neighbor Jenkins working in the yard next door overhears this and pokes his head over the hedges and says, "Christ, man, she still looks like shit. She always has and always will. That's what happens when you marry a ****ing dog."

Honestly, Jenkins had a point. Her hair wasn't that much better, and jeez, she spent $100 on it at the salon. But you complimented her because, well, she IS your wife, you've been married 30 years, and you had some good times together, especially in the beginning. And she HAS gone downhill the last few years, and for awhile she didn't even try. But lately she's been attempting to do better, so you encourage her and hope for the best.

Nevertheless, you're stunned by Jenkins' comment, which was uninvited and really kinda rude, and mumble something like, "Yeah, well, **** you."

And Jenkins -- who recently married a striking 22-year-old blonde with money -- responds, "Listen, mother****er, I'm just telling it like it is. Don't get pissy with me simply because I'm speaking the truth. What a goddamn pussy. No wonder you'll always be stuck with that bitch."

You sigh. It reminds you of the time the neighbor on the other side of the house, Taco John, made fun of your kids because they were spazzes who got good grades in the first marking period but always seemed to choke on the big tests in December and January. Damn Taco John -- his two kids went to Harvard and got Ph.D.'s. Yours are still in technical school.

So you keep your head down and keep raking, knowing at least the rest of the neighborhood agrees with you: It sucks living in between the two biggest assholes on Chiefs Planet Lane.

If it makes you feel any better, I beat the wife in question.

Great post, though.

Frazod
12-09-2006, 03:40 PM

That's the post of the month right there. Competition closed until January. ROFL

Frazod
12-09-2006, 03:46 PM

ROFL

Well, that ought to effectively cancel out any benefit they'll get from Soriano.

Not only do they take that useless f#cking dildo off our hands, but now we'll get to face him several times a year. Reminds me of what I'd do if Hendry was my personal remote control robot. I mean seriously, that's the best thing that's happened to the Cardinals since... well, I guess since they won the World Series. Pujols will hit homers off this clown that might actually achieve escape velocity and travel into outer space.

God I love the Cubs. ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
ROFL

Well, that ought to effectively cancel out any benefit they'll get from Soriano.

Not only do they take that useless f#cking dildo off our hands, but now we'll get to face him several times a year. Reminds me of what I'd do if Hendry was my personal remote control robot. I mean seriously, that's the best thing that's happened to the Cardinals since... well, I guess since they won the World Series. Pujols will hit homers off this clown that might actually achieve escape velocity and travel into outer space.

God I love the Cubs. ROFL

9 million a year for Marquis...just wow. That is sick. 9 million for a guy who was left off the postseason roster in favor of a rookie with an ERA around 5...ROFL. This is classic.

The Cards always kill their old pitchers (Woody, Morris, etc.). Marquis will be a f*cking launching pad. The law of averages dictates that we should face him around 4 times next year...BRILLIANT!!

Calcountry
12-09-2006, 04:42 PM

Zito had the lower ERA, and he averaged about 2/3rd IP more a game... but otherwise, they're pretty similar. Meche actually had a better K rate, their walk rate was pretty similar. Meche allowed 3 runs or less in 21 of his 32 starts. Zito allowed 3 runs or less in 22 of his 34 starts, so they kept their teams in about the same number of games. And Zito's been pitching like that for about 3 years now... he's been a slightly above .500 pitcher who will give you 90 BB/160 K, Meche can do that. Zito's not the 23-5 guy from about five years ago. And he's gonna get MASSIVE money probably. That's the market.Zito is going to get clobbered.

Way over rated.

Somebody is going to get gipped big time.

Calcountry
12-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Pull really quick and it might not hurt too much to get your head out of your ass.Hamas is like Redrum's mom. She has to be passionate about everyone she does. If her boyfriends don't see things her way, she gets abusive and vulger, but everyone reps her and comes back for more. Encouraged by the friendly pats on her butt, she reckons herself an expert on subjects outside of her bedroom, where the abusiveness only grows stronger until it explodes violently with the crashing of dishes.

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Everytime Humus posts and goes on his cussing tirade, i picture carl weathers saying it and having that look he has in that avatar of his haha....i think its funny and don't take it too serious.

KChiefs1
12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I've heard the Royals are interested in acquiring Brad Penny from the Dodgers too...

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I've heard the Royals are interested in acquiring Brad Penny from the Dodgers too...

That would be a bold move. If they get first half Brad Penny, their team would improve significantly. If they get second half Brad Penny, they'd be helped out, but not nearly as much.

Reaper16
12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
The tradewinds blowing say LA is interested in Jimmy Gobble, Emil Brown and a prospect.

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 05:51 PM
The tradewinds blowing say LA is interested in Jimmy Gobble, Emil Brown and a prospect.
They can have emil...

Gobble was a solid reliever for us last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Translation: LA is ready to trade Penny for 60 cents on the dollar. The Royals should make this move 11 times out of 10.

Coach
12-09-2006, 05:56 PM
As long the Prospect isn't Gordon/Butler.

Eleazar
12-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Translation: LA is ready to trade Penny for 60 cents on the dollar. The Royals should make this move 11 times out of 10.

I agree 1100%.

shaneo69
12-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Hey, not all of us are dickheads.

BTW, the Cardinals signed Russ Springer today for $1.75 mil. Woo hoo!

Valiant
12-09-2006, 06:48 PM

ahahahah

To a T....

ChiefsCountry
12-09-2006, 08:32 PM
That would be a bold move. If they get first half Brad Penny, their team would improve significantly. If they get second half Brad Penny, they'd be helped out, but not nearly as much.

Good lord dude if your Cardinals made this trade you would be sucking Jocketty's cock.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Good lord dude if your Cardinals made this trade you would be sucking Jocketty's cock.

Hi dispshit,

Did I, or did I not praise this trade? Troll some more, you ignorant motherf*cker, or go take out your inferiority complex on someone who gives a rat f*ck.

ChiefsCountry
12-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi dispshit,

Did I, or did I not praise this trade? Troll some more, you ignorant motherf*cker, or go take out your inferiority complex on someone who gives a rat f*ck.

Whoops sorry I read wrong, I thought I saw bad instead of bold. Sorry.

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi dispshit,

LMFAO, such rage in every post ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 08:46 PM
LMFAO, such rage in every post ROFL

Rule #1: Stay with your shtick at all times.

Mecca
12-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Jenkins is totally going to break a dinner plate over your heads....

Sure-Oz
12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Rule #1: Stay with your shtick at all times.
I need to pay attention to your posts in game day threads from here on out. :)

huskerdooz
12-10-2006, 12:02 AM

That is interesting, didn't they just sign him to an extension?