PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees - Real or fake?

Dartgod
12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Real or fake; what say you?

I am and will always be a real tree fan. Part of the fun of putting up a Christmas tree is going out and finding the "perfect" tree.

luv
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Real. They may take a little more work to keep up, but they're so worth it. Some people don't like the needles. I put up our (fake) Christmas tree in the front offices at work, and had plenty of "needles" (plastic ones) to vacuum up. I love the smell of a real tree. And you're right. The hunt is fun too.

Fire Me Boy!
12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Until they grow trees with pre-attached lights, I'll be going with fake.

Fire Me Boy!
12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
However, I refuse to vote, because that's NOT how I like my boobies.

Donger
12-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't like bats and despise squirrels with a passion, so I prefer fake Christmas trees. Ours cost a small fortune, but it really does look like it's real.

luv
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Until they grow trees with pre-attached lights, I'll be going with fake.
:shake:

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I love real trees, but they're a pain in the butt.

foxman
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM

I agree, so I voted fake. ;)

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 12:42 PM

Don't stick them up there then!

KcMizzou
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
ROFL

:banghead:

BucEyedPea
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
However, I refuse to vote, because that's NOT how I like my boobies.
I feel the same way.

Wait a minute...you have boobies too? :evil:

Baby Lee
12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
So that's how the angel ended up on the top of the tree!!

dirk digler
12-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Real all the way

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I grew up having only real Christmas trees, and stayed that way -- adamantly -- until early adulthood. Part of that is because the fake trees that were around when I was a kid were pretty awful -- they looked like pipe cleaners.

But by age 26 or so, I got tired of pine needles clogging my vacuum cleaner, plus the artificial tree technology had come a long way. So I broke down an invested in a very good fake tree -- looked very authentic, just didn't have the pine smell.

It's been artificial ever since. The current one has 1,000 lights and more than 2,000 branch tips. It's pretty.

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
But by age 26 or so, I got tired of pine needles clogging my vacuum cleaner...

There's your problem! It should read "My wife got tired of pine needles clogging her vacuum cleaner"!

siberian khatru
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
There's your problem! It should read "My wife got tired of pine needles clogging her vacuum cleaner"!

Regardless, I was the only one with the technical know-how to unclog it. ;)

Wile_E_Coyote
12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
When I was a pup in the 60s we didn't have those fake trees. The store bought pine trees, if you could find them, were for the rich folks. We went out in the timber(or fence row) & cut down a cedar tree.

They were ugly, pricked your fingers & would catch on fire with ease.

AND WE LOVED IT!

cdcox
12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
We've been using the same artificial tree for over 20 years now. I've been thinking about replacing it with one of those new-fangled pre-lit ones, but I'm worried about the lights going out and then having to replace it after just a few years. I'd be interested in hearing experiences of anybody with a pre-lit tree that has either lasted for 5 years or more, or has broken down within the first 5 years.

BucEyedPea
12-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I grew up having only real Christmas trees, and stayed that way -- adamantly -- until early adulthood. Part of that is because the fake trees that were around when I was a kid were pretty awful -- they looked like pipe cleaners.

But by age 26 or so, I got tired of pine needles clogging my vacuum cleaner, plus the artificial tree technology had come a long way. So I broke down an invested in a very good fake tree -- looked very authentic, just didn't have the pine smell.

It's been artificial ever since. The current one has 1,000 lights and more than 2,000 branch tips. It's pretty.
pretty much went the same way, particularly since I had a kid...it was just easier with all there is to do at this time of year.

You're tree sounds very pretty. Lots of lights makes a tree special.

Mine is so loaded with ornaments you can barely see the tree anyway.
I've got everything on it including food like candy, cookies, a fake gum drop garland, ornaments I've collected from trips—many are children's toy themes. Plus I've taken old toys and dolls that I've saved and turned into ornaments. Got my kid's hand made ornaments from PT pre-school, K and first grade on it too.

I call it my children's tree. That's the theme.

Hydrae
12-08-2006, 01:10 PM
While I prefer a live tree, we always seem to break out the old fake one each year.

Now when we were living in Columbia, we would go out to a Tree Farm each year and cut our own. That was fun and a great family bonding tradition. The only one even in the Austin area is out the other side of town about 40 miles away. Way too far to transport a tree on the top of the car!

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
The only one even in the Austin area is out the other side of town about 40 miles away. Way too far to transport a tree on the top of the car!

Even worse to drag it

luv
12-08-2006, 01:13 PM
I voted for real, but I don't put one up. I live by myself, and go to other family's houses for Christmas, so I just put out some decorative stuff on my coffee table and end tables. I used to have a big candy cane made out of jingle bells that I would hang on my door, but I don't know what happened to it. Putting up a tree just isn't worth the trouble when you're the only one enjoying it.

FAX
12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I've always been a proponent of the "real" tree. But, that was before I researched the way these trees are brought to market. They're grown on farms. Farms. I didn't want to believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

It was a shocking revelation when I realized that there, in a veritable woodland slaughterhouse conceived in morbid madness, and before they even reach full adulthood, the little trees are chopped down. Sometimes with dull chainsaws. Sometimes with axes wielded by perverse, violent, loathsome men whose breath escapes their lungs like a vaporous terror. The depraved, repellent cruelty is unspeakable as life-giving sap pours like malignant, sticky, dark blood from of their little stumps and their helpless needles tremble with merciless agony and indescribable suffering.

So I vote fake.

FAX

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I voted for real, but I don't put one up. I live by myself, and go to other family's houses for Christmas, so I just put out some decorative stuff on my coffee table and end tables. I used to have a big candy cane made out of jingle bells that I would hang on my door, but I don't know what happened to it. Putting up a tree just isn't worth the trouble when you're the only one enjoying it.

But that is the enjoyment of it luv!

I love christmas trees - just like to sit in the darkend silence and look at it all lit up.

luv
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM

I love christmas trees - just like to sit in the darkend silence and look at it all lit up.
Kind of hard to explain, but I have this ball made of christmas lights and clear plastic cups that I hang up. It's really cool.

alpha_omega
12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Real...
Fraser Fir

Halfcan
12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Fake-seems a shame to cut down a bunch of trees.

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Kind of hard to explain, but I have this ball made of christmas lights and clear plastic cups that I hang up. It's really cool.

That can change from slow to fast?

My Mom has one of those also - those are cool.

luv
12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
That can change from slow to fast?

My Mom has one of those also - those are cool.
A lady at work made it for me. I always feel obligated to place things people give me in my home, at least for a little while. I have a toilet paper holder that a different lady made out of big coffee cans, a few towels, and ribbon. I like this christmas light ball though. I may keep it around for a while.

Rooster
12-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I voted real even though we have a fake tree.

I honestly thought this was a poll about boobs. So now you know how I feel on two subjects. :)

Dartgod
12-08-2006, 01:39 PM

You or the tree?

My wife and I have a tradition of drinking White Russians while decorating the tree. If we put up an artificial tree (with lights already attached), I would be done before I got a good buzz on.

ptlyon
12-08-2006, 01:40 PM
You or the tree?

Glad somebody caught on. ;)