PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Free Agents for 2007

Chieftain58
12-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I was curious as to whom our free agents are next year, here's what I found out. Add to the list if you know of anyone else.

Damon Huard, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs.
Huard had fallen off the NFL map somewhat in recent seasons. After starting as the Miami Dolphins quarterback in the ’99 and ’00 seasons, he played in just four games and attempted only one pass from the ’01 season through the ’05 season. An early injury to Chiefs starter Trent Green changed Huard’s fate. Huard played in parts of nine games while Green was out, and in those nine games, he showed that he was a quite capable NFL quarterback. Huard posted a 97.6 quarterback rating with a 60.6% completion rate, and his 11 touchdown passes to just one interception had to have made an impression on someone. Huard may be asked to play second fiddle in a new town, but if he shows the same talent that he did in replacing Green, he could make a run at a starting position, if there’s a team looking to take a risk on a veteran.

Samie Parker, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs.

Jared Allen, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Perhaps the top defensive lineman that will see the market, Allen, has posted totals of 9 and 11 in the sack department in the two seasons prior to 2006, and he’s added 3 more this season. The Chiefs will do everything in their power to keep him, but teams on the outside looking in could see Allen as a free agent must. He’s young, plays with a big motor, and puts pressure on the quarterback often, evidenced by his 7 forced fumbles last season. Teams will line up for the type of player that Allen is, and being an RFA doesn’t change that much. Allen makes the list because of his talent, but it’s difficult to imagine that the Chiefs would allow him to slip away on the market. Expect the Chiefs to negotiate a contract extension or possibly use the franchise tag if Allen has another great season.

Kawika Mitchell, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs.

Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

Lawrence Tynes, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs.

Tony Gonzalez isn't on the list but he voided the final year(s) of his contract.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

DaKCMan AP
12-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I know there are a lot of Kawika and Samie haters, but I'd like to see all of the above re-signed.

hypersensitiveZO6
12-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I know there are a lot of Kawika and Samie haters, but I'd like to see all of the above re-signed.
Not really.

the Talking Can
12-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I quit if we don't resign Allen.

bu that won't happen....Parker can jump in a lake, Dante too

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2006, 10:56 PM
If Parker continues to hold onto the ball the way he has the last 3 games, I see no reason not to resign him. We need Kawika not b/c he's that good, but only b/c we have so many holes. If we don't resign Allen, we're f*cked, and Tony needs to be resigned as well. Tynes should stay a Chief.

morphius
12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Parker I'm pretty neutral on, not horrible, not very good either. I really wanted him to step it up this year, and sort of expected it, but no luck there at all.

The rest of the guys are must signs, IMHO. With Huard only getting to stay if nobody gives him near starting money.

Mojo Rising
12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Huard will be gone...likely to Houston.

TG will stay (has the Barry Bonds hold on KC) as will Allen. I don't know how much Edwards likes Mitchell so he is iffy. Tynes stays.

I can't see them keeping Parker. Doesn't seem like a Herm type of player to me.

Sims and Hicks are also gone. Holmes and Shields won't be back either.

Wesley, Knight and Bell should be gone as well.

Direckshun
12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I only like us keeping Parker if we can't make a serious contention for a real #1 receiver.

Kennison is an overachiever. It's time we take some of the load off his shoulders.

That said, I would like to see Parker resigned, but as a #3 or 4.

Hammock Parties
12-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm worried about the Jared Allen contract. I think it may get ugly.

boogblaster
12-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Allen a must.. Huard I hope.. The rest can either step-up their game or hit the dusty-trail....

12-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Huard will be gone...likely to Houston.

Actually, I could see Huard going to Chicago.

cdcox
12-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Allen's DUIs will cost him a couple-few million.

Wallcrawler
12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
What about the 4 game suspension Allen is most likely going to get? That was his second offense when he refused to take the breathalizer test was it not?

It wont keep all teams away, but it would be difficult for some to pay huge money knowing that the guy is most likely not going to play the first month of next season, and another offense would cost him some really serious playing time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Allen means more to us than he will to other teams. The FO will realize that.

Mojo Rising
12-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Allen is a RFA so we have the right to match. The trouble with our D is that when he disappears (NY last year after he was called out before the game and Cle last weekend) the D gets very soft. I say we match if the price is right but not if someone else offers Pro Bowl money to him...take the draft picks.

I don't think he'll get a 4 game suspension. It took Warfield 4 DUI's. He would of have already been in the leagues substance abuse policy for the 2nd to have been a suspend able violation. He would of have to of been convicted of the 1st to be in the program and I heard he got the 2nd 4-6 weeks after the 1st. That's not enough time to be convicted.

We should have a lot money coming off the books to get some great talent...unfortunately that doesn't mean Lamar will spend it.

Crush
12-09-2006, 04:46 AM
What are you talkin' TM about? We're going to win the Super Bowl!!!!!!!! woooooooo!!!

HemiEd
12-09-2006, 07:16 AM
If Parker continues to hold onto the ball the way he has the last 3 games, I see no reason not to resign him. We need Kawika not b/c he's that good, but only b/c we have so many holes. If we don't resign Allen, we're f*cked, and Tony needs to be resigned as well. Tynes should stay a Chief.

I agree with all of this. Parker is a true Chief though, you get to liking his play, then he breaks your heart.

the Talking Can
12-09-2006, 07:23 AM
if Parker will accept #3 money, he can stay...but that's all he is...

HonestChieffan
12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Not going to be a fun contract season for the front office...

The Chiefs are in a bad spot on QB...they have Croyle who is a longshot/bet/longer term prospect. But they can't bank on the kid till we really know what we have. So they need a dependable known quantity BU QB. And whats Trent going to do? No one knows buthe wont play till hes 65.

QB is an issue. They need to pay Huard whatever or go out and get a QB as good or better than Huard...not cheap, not likely.

Kawika is one they probably need to hang on to.

Parker....big question there is who do we have at WR and who can/will we get? On the other hand if Hermball is what I think Hermball is, he probably doesnt care much.

Larry Johnson....go with me here. If Im Larry with Larrys attitude, Im thinking I have the Chiefs in a bad spot...I want more money. I have the goods and they need to pay me cause Im bad and I want the cash...so I demand a renegotiation or Ill hold out....This is a bad scenario for the chiefs and one I hope does not happen but I think its possible.

Shields/Waters....will one retire?
Gammons? How long will he hang in there?

Sims and Hicks need to help each other load the moving van and then help dante.After that they can go see if Bell needs some help.

TG should have been a done deal. But its not....whats that all about? Carl betting on something? We will see on that.

Dark Horse
12-09-2006, 10:11 AM
if Parker will accept #3 money, he can stay...but that's all he is...

I agree and I doubt Parker will command big dollars. I think he could be a very good slot reciever if we can get a legitimate threat opposite Kennison.

Simplex3
12-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Aside from Carl's boy TG (who will certainly get his this off-season), Allen and Tynes are the only guys on that list that can't be replaced easily and for less money.

cdcox
12-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Aside from Carl's boy TG (who will certainly get his this off-season), Allen and Tynes are the only guys on that list that can't be replaced easily and for less money.

I pretty much agree.

But, we should be able to sign Jordan Black for a reasonable price.

I don't think Mitchell is great or anything, but if we let him walk, I bet we see worse play from the MLB positon next year. Not sure I'm in favor of trying that experiment.

Simplex3
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I pretty much agree.

I don't think Mitchell is great or anything, but if we let him walk, I bet we see worse play from the MLB positon next year. Not sure I'm in favor of trying that experiment.
I'm of the opinion that Mitchell stands out on this D much like a semi-firm turd would stand out in a pool of diarrhea. There are a half dozen guys being dumped by other teams that can do what he does.

noa
12-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Shields/Waters....will one retire?

Waters is not going to retire. We just gave him a new 5 year contract last year IIRC.

StcChief
12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Actually, I could see Huard going to Chicago.

I said that earlier... Don't be surprised if Grossman continues his crappy QB play. They make a run at him in 2007.

Grossman's chance to redeem is to step up is against the Lambs crappy D on MNF

And have a decent finish to 2007, decent playoffs.

milkman
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I pretty much agree.

I agree with you on both Mitchell and Black.

Black, while nothing special, has shown steady improvement now that he has found some positional stability.

Mitchell's regression this year can most liklely be attributed to the change in his responsibilities.

Since I'm a firm believer in the BPA approach in the draft, if MLB or LT are sitting there when we pick, I sure as hell wouldn't pass on them.

Chiefnj
12-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Black's market price has probably tripled since the beginning of the season.

Mecca
12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with you on both Mitchell and Black.

Black, while nothing special, has shown steady improvement now that he has found some positional stability.

Mitchell's regression this year can most liklely be attributed to the change in his responsibilities.

Since I'm a firm believer in the BPA approach in the draft, if MLB or LT are sitting there when we pick, I sure as hell wouldn't pass on them.

Patrick Willis has a pretty good shot of being the BPA when we draft.....

Unless Mitchell is gonna play for a low year low money contract then they should let him walk.....he's still a problem, just because he doesn't suck as much as some other guys doesn't mean he's good.

Chieftain58
03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Allen is a RFA so we have the right to match. The trouble with our D is that when he disappears (NY last year after he was called out before the game and Cle last weekend) the D gets very soft. I say we match if the price is right but not if someone else offers Pro Bowl money to him...take the draft picks.

I don't think he'll get a 4 game suspension. It took Warfield 4 DUI's. He would of have already been in the leagues substance abuse policy for the 2nd to have been a suspend able violation. He would of have to of been convicted of the 1st to be in the program and I heard he got the 2nd 4-6 weeks after the 1st. That's not enough time to be convicted.

We should have a lot money coming off the books to get some great talent...unfortunately that doesn't mean Lamar will spend it.

Lamar is dead now.. so maybe Clark will spend it.