PDA

View Full Version : In Defense Of Dante Hall

Direckshun
12-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Thought I'd give this a shot.

There's more to a player than either being a star or a bust. Dante is no longer a star, but that doesn't mean he's a bust.

Let's realize Dante's real value on this football team: he's a valuable role player. He's no longer a guy that can bust out a 50 yard return once a game, but he still does possess a unique set of skills that, when used in the right way, can benefit this football team.

I was hoping to look at the bright side of Dante in this post, while remaining reasonable of course, and see what you guys think.

(a.) Dante Hall is a truly unique weapon.

Very few people in the league provide the set of skills Dante offers: explosive speed with the ability to frequently stop on a dime, an entertaining supply of juke moves, instant energy and the ability to light up an entire team with a good return, good hands and great field awareness. He is easily one of the most electrifying players in the NFL, and his speed and (usually) sure hands are desperately needed in the Chiefs receiving core.

(b.) He has produced considerably well when used in focused ways on offense.

Solari's come closer to utilizing Dante where he works best: the open field. Dante's jukes + speed make him invincible when he's one on one in the open field. Solari has used Dante on a quick screen a handful of times this season, and every time he's managed to get three to ten yards out of the play. Used sparingly, this is a great weapon to keep in the playbook, and it utilizes Dante's strengths. He's also performed pretty well on reverses and on quick darts across the middle. If Solari can keep drawing plays that make the most of his unique abilities, Dante can be an effective weapon in certain situations. Otherwise, he's performed admirably as a wide receiver despite his size.

(c.) He has been durable.

If Dante isn't the smallest kick returner in the league by about twenty pounds, I'd be surprised. You don't return kicks or catch passes across the middle when you maybe weigh 180 pounds unless you are rock hard tough. Ever since he's been returning kicks for the Chiefs, Dante's had to endure a handful of very hard hits each game he's played, and he always gets up. That's very important, especially in seasons like this one where toughness is crucial.

(d.) Although his talent occasionally fails him, his heart's always on overdrive.

This has been a double-edged sword for Dante; the guy is driven by his passion. Without it he'd be half the player is he now. His on-field temprement would also be a lot better, though. But there's no doubt that Dante not only wants to win, he wants to run the other team into the ground, on every single play. And that kind of attitude is conducive in the locker room, where Dante has also been a respectable teammate. His beefs with coaches aside, his teammates respect him and enjoy his presense on the field (see Tony G's biofile that was posted in this forum a day ago), and he's been gracious (rather than arrogant) about the praise he received when he was hot.

(e.) If nothing else, keep him for our games against Denver!

He always seems to produce. :D

Phobia
12-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I agree with everything except the part where you said he no longer is a guy who can bust out a 50 yard return. Heck, he's had at least 2 of those this year. Plus he's had a couple more called back. If he gets the proper running lanes he's gone. His confidence is a little shaken this year. He just needs some hugs.

Carl should pay Dick $100k to come to town and love on Dante for a couple days.

Direckshun
12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree with everything except the part where you said he no longer is a guy who can bust out a 50 yard return. Heck, he's had at least 2 of those this year. Plus he's had a couple more called back. If he gets the proper running lanes he's gone. His confidence is a little shaken this year.
Fair point. You're dead on about a few of his returns being called back.

He's not returning it like he used to, and there are reasons for that. Yeah, some of it is blocking. Some of it is also the special preparations teams go through for Hall alone on special teams. Teams playing us have "stayed in their lanes" a lot better when Hall returns.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2006, 04:13 PM
i agree ...... but also disagree about a couple of things.

like phil said, i still think Dante can take it the distance.

i think Dantes heart is exactly the problem

he hasn't lost a step, he can still do it .... don't know how much he WANTS to do it anymore though.

Green Bay - Big hit
Denver - Big Hit
Baltimore - a couple big hits

a 3 game span a couple of years ago that might of knocked the heart right outa the little man.

Bowser
12-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Shut up with this common sense and optimism! We need to trade him to the first team who will give us a sixth rounder for him!

Calcountry
12-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I agree with everything except the part where you said he no longer is a guy who can bust out a 50 yard return. Heck, he's had at least 2 of those this year. Plus he's had a couple more called back. If he gets the proper running lanes he's gone. His confidence is a little shaken this year. He just needs some hugs.

Carl should pay Dick $100k to come to town and love on Dante for a couple days.ROFL

Carl doesn't no Dick about Dante.

StcChief
12-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Dante is due for break out game....
Would like to see one against Ravens but will settle for
Faiders next week

Halfcan
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree with everything but the ability to bust a big play-give him some holes already

And

The part where Solari has used him best-throwing to him one time last week is not cutting it. They need to send him on deep cutting patterns. The short routes he gets tackled right away.

Easy 6
12-09-2006, 05:13 PM
That was a good lesson in optimism.

Your Homer is strong.

Rigorous testing is needed to be certain, but you COULD be ..."The ONE".

Halfcan
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I have always liked Dante and am really hoping he shows us something these last few games.

No mistakes
No penalties
No big losses running backwards
No slamming the ball down and pouting
No dropped passes

jspchief
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
My biggest problem is his ball security.

Regardless of what else is happening on the field, there's no excuse for the number of fumbles and muffed punts. Catch the ball and then hold on to the damn thing.

Bob Dole
12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
At the risk of repeating himself for the 42nd time, Bob Dole can sum up the major difference in Dante's returns in 2 words.

Derrick Blaylock.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2006, 06:56 PM

Regardless of what else is happening on the field, there's no excuse for the number of fumbles and muffed punts. Catch the ball and then hold on to the damn thing.

oh but thats just his game and he aint gonna change! LOL

KCJake
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM

In his last 93 games, he's lost 7 fumbles.
That's not to bad is it:shrug:

Oh Snap
12-09-2006, 07:15 PM
The problem with dante is instead of running straight and getting an extra 5-10 yards he trys to dance around to much. He just doesnt have the blocking for that type of stuff like he did back in 03.

Ecto-I
12-09-2006, 07:41 PM
The thing is, with good blocking, Dante's herky jerky style produces huge, game breaking returns.

However with sub par help, Dante's style leads to below average returns.

There seems to be no middle ground with him. He's not gonna give you the consistant 30 KO returns. He's comparable in that respect to Barry Sanders. Not a chain mover, but your either getting a big loss or a big gain.

morphius
12-09-2006, 07:44 PM
The problem with dante is instead of running straight and getting an extra 5-10 yards he trys to dance around to much. He just doesnt have the blocking for that type of stuff like he did back in 03.
And sadly a lot of the time he doesn't even have room for that.

While occasionally less dancing would be nice, I would like to see him hold onto the ball better. He hasn't lost a lot of the fumbles, but he has had more then his share of fumbles.

The most important thing to me with my returners is ball security, everything else is a distant second.

C-Mac
12-09-2006, 07:45 PM
A key point thats missing is that reguardless how we want to view him, opposing teams still completely respect his presence on the field.

Mecca
12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
In his last 93 games, he's lost 7 fumbles.
That's not to bad is it:shrug:

They've gotten alot of them back but it seems like he fumbles atleast once a game these days......

Bob Dole
12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
They've gotten alot of them back but it seems like he fumbles atleast once a game these days......

He's been credited with 2 fumbles (one lost) this year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187555

headsnap
12-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I could do with a few less brain farts from Dante.

still very glad he is our PR/KR though...

carlos3652
12-09-2006, 08:20 PM
A key point thats missing is that reguardless how we want to view him, opposing teams still completely respect his presence on the field.

Exactly

jspchief
12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
He's been credited with 2 fumbles (one lost) this year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187555 Then they aren't counting muffed punts, because he had stretch there of 4 straight games where he lost a handle on a ball that could have equaled a fumble/turnover.

I tried to stick up for Hall earlier in the year, and I still think overall poor ST play is a factor, but his ball security has been aweful this year. it's to a point where I'm nervous every time he fields a punt.

BigRock
12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
And the one time I can think of offhand where a team didn't (the Thanksgiving game with Denver where they kicked to him just before the half), he burned them by breaking out a big return. Another 5 seconds and we'd have gotten some points out of that decision by Shanny.

Bob Dole
12-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Then they aren't counting muffed punts, because he had stretch there of 4 straight games where he lost a handle on a ball that could have equaled a fumble/turnover.

I tried to stick up for Hall earlier in the year, and I still think overall poor ST play is a factor, but his ball security has been aweful this year. it's to a point where I'm nervous every time he fields a punt.

Bob Dole would be nervous too if there were 2 guys with a full head of steam about 4 yards away every time Bob Dole fielded a punt because the other 10 guys on the field couldn't manage to slow them down...

Simply Red
12-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I have always liked Dante and am really hoping he shows us something these last few games.

No mistakes
No penalties
No big losses running backwards
No slamming the ball down and pouting
No dropped passes

Nelson Muntz
12-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Bob Dole would be nervous too if there were 2 guys with a full head of steam about 4 yards away every time Bob Dole fielded a punt because the other 10 guys on the field couldn't manage to slow them down...

I guess you and I are the only ones that realize that.

Mr. Laz
12-10-2006, 10:03 AM
your paid a million bucks per to not be nervous