PDA

View Full Version : Changes next year.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Okay, let's be realistic. We're going to be saddled with the same coaching staff that can't produce anything innovative. So don't even go there.

What's going to happen?

Offense:

Ronnie Cruz will be back, but I don't think he's a great fullback. I think he could be a good backup running back, but that's not going to happen.

Will Shields be back? I hope so, but I don't think we can count on it.

Nothing else will really change. I figure that Trent and Eddie Kennison and Tony G. will all be back.

Changes that must be made, in order of priority:

1. Get a right tackle.
2. Get a wide receiver.
3. Get a fullback.

Unless Kris Wilson becomes an H-back kind of guy, I don't think we've got any prospects on our roster for these spots right now. Maybe Svitek at RT, but he seems more like a LT to me. Or maybe Welbourn will find a better supplier in Mexico.

Defense:

Will Law be back? What's his contract status?

We obviously need a free safety who doesn't stink like Wesley stinks, because Wesley really stinks.

We're old at RCB and SS

Bell is playing better as of late, but needs to be upgraded.

Mitchell obviously loses interest in football after a few weeks of an NFL season, and we need to upgrade at MLB.

We obviously need at upgrade at DT, and I think that perhaps Edwards is playing better than Reed now. We need an impact DT badly.

So we need:

1. Impact free safety, though we could have one in Page and/or Pollard.
2. Impact defensive tackle
3. Right outside linebacker, though perhaps Fox or even Bell could be serviceable in the short term.
4. Left cornerback?
5. Middle linebacker upgrade if possible.
6. Eventual young starters at RCB and SS

I think things could get worse on defense before they get better. It would appear that a DT would be Need #1, but I would propose that a new CB would be Need #2.

Our starting lineup on opening day next year? If we assume that we decide to start our first two draft choices at best, and can get one veteran free agent starter, I hope it would look like this.

HB - Johnson
FB - Some free agent battering ram, because they're easy to pick up, so I'm not counting them against the free-agent count.
QB - Green
WR - Kennison
WR - Probably Parker again, since we have huge needs elsewhere. May God have mercy upon our souls
TE - Gonzalez
LT - Black (seriously, he's getting it done)
LG - Waters
C - Wiegman
RG - Please, Will. Please come back. Otherwise, we're screwed.
RT - 1st round rookie. We HAVE to make an investment here.
FS - Pollard or Page
SS - If Knight can beat out Pollard or Page, more power to him.
LCB - Law, Walls, or Sapp. It'll have to be someone on the roster now.
RCB - UnSurtain
LOLB - Johnson
MLB - I'd love to upgrade from Ka-weak-a, but we probably can't.
ROLB - Probably Fox, but that doesn't make me smile.
LDE - Hali
LDT - Edwards
RDT - 2nd-round rookie, with Reed spelling him.
RDE - Allen

I don't see the team being stronger next year than this year, because we're going to have an all-new right side of the offensive line, and we'll have key transitions taking place in all three units of the defense, particularly the backfield.

I'm officially worried.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 04:13 PM
sigh I wouldn't really get FB because wilson is alright. We need tackles.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I think a right tackle is clearly our #1 need for next year.

CtrlAltDel
12-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Who played RT today? Welbourne? Did Terry get any PT?

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it was Welbourn all day, but it was kind of a mini-Welbourn.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Actually its a big "if", Chris Terry can get back into shape he could be the RT we need. He was pretty good for Seattle and Carolina. Welbourn could be a good guard like he was in Philly.

WR - FA/Trade (Hope but it will more likely be Parker)
LT - Rookie First Rounder
LG - Waters
C - Weigmann
RG - Welbourn
RT - Terry
TE - Gonzalez (no way Carl lets him get away)
WR - Kennison
QB - Green
RB - Johnson
FB - Cruz (I want a FA pickup too but I doubt it)

DE - Allen
DT - Reed
DT - 2nd Round Pick/Edwards
DE - Hali
LB - Fox (man I hope I am wrong)
LB - Mitchell (see Fox)
LB - DJ
CB - Law
CB - Surtain
SS - Pollard
FS - Page

Mr. Laz
12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Jordan Black wasn't exactly stalwart today

Mecca
12-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Actually its a big "if", Chris Terry can get back into shape he could be the RT we need. He was pretty good for Seattle and Carolina. Welbourn could be a good guard like he was in Philly.

WR - FA/Trade (Hope but it will more likely be Parker)
LT - Rookie First Rounder
LG - Waters
C - Weigmann
RG - Welbourn
RT - Terry
TE - Gonzalez (no way Carl lets him get away)
WR - Kennison
QB - Green
RB - Johnson
FB - Cruz (I want a FA pickup too but I doubt it)

DE - Allen
DT - Reed
DT - 2nd Round Pick/Edwards
DE - Hali
LB - Fox (man I hope I am wrong)
LB - Mitchell (see Fox)
LB - DJ
CB - Law
CB - Surtain
SS - Pollard
FS - Page

You're on Carls page this team is good enough to win 7-9 games and keep everyone interested.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
You're on Carls page this team is good enough to win 7-9 games and keep everyone interested.

No I went with Rainman's very first line - Okay, let's be realistic. You know this what the freaking Chiefs are going to do.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I dunno. I'll go on record as saying that I see enough performance out of Black that we can survive with him. Is he dominant? No, especially against the run. But he's getting better at pass-blocking, and I think he could be a reasonable LT.

I know nothing about Terry, and would be thrilled if he and Welbourn could be a reasonable right side of the line.

cdcox
12-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't see the team being stronger next year than this year, because we're going to have an all-new right side of the offensive line, and we'll have key transitions taking place in all three units of the defense, particularly the backfield.

I'm officially worried.

This captures my concern. No matter how you slice it, we have a ton of holes to fill on this team. To make matters worse, most of our best players are getting up there and won't be around for very much longer. Holes will continue to open faster than we can fill them.

We have a bunch of young guys that are question marks as to whether they can really play at a level that will allow this team to be successful.

Mitchell
Fox
Pollard
Page
Black
Stivek
Wilson

That list doesn't give me much hope. We need most of them to be strong starters and a pro-bowl player or two wouldn't hurt. Those guys just aren't going to do it.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 04:26 PM
i also smell a hold out of we don't pay LJ more

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 04:27 PM
We need to invest our 1st rounder in either tackle position or DT, whichever gives us the best value at our pick. If nothing is there, trade down, if something is a fewpicks away, trade up.

If we get a good Sam Baker like LT, then we could have Black, Wellbourne, and Terry fight it out for the two right line spots, with Black or Wellbourne taking at least one, of course (since Terry isn't a G). Then we need to draft two DTs, even if they are undersized. Look at what Denver got with Dumervil. In passing situations, he can line up at DT and get pressure up the middle. That would be huge for us in 3rd and long situations.

After that we need to invest in the back seven of the defense--CBs and LBs especially.

SBK
12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I think our D played pretty well today, up until Wesley decided he was a CB and that 6 year long 4th quarter drive.

We need help on the O line and D line BAD.

58-4ever
12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Bernard Pollard shoul see a significant increase in playing time.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 04:31 PM
No I went with Rainman's very first line - Okay, let's be realistic. You know this what the freaking Chiefs are going to do.

Yep pretty much, we'll always be this sort of team as long as Carl's around.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
what FA bust are we going to sign this year. I predict it will be a WR

Pitt Gorilla
12-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Wow, I completely disagree on fullback. Wilson made some blocks today that were as good as, if not better than, Richardson in his prime. Wilson has become an incredible blocker.

Iowanian
12-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd prefer a Legit LT and have black at RT...if he has to be a starter. It would make me happy if Terry could get back to his ability and become a legit, starting RT again.

The Chiefs need an OT, OG, DT(1-2) RLB, Young Corner prospect, WR and K.

I'm hoping Pollard/page can step up as starters.....play them now and find out.

If they can find a young corner...we've got Law for 2 more years I believe...move him to FS.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
We need to invest our 1st rounder in either tackle position or DT, whichever gives us the best value at our pick. If nothing is there, trade down, if something is a fewpicks away, trade up.

If we get a good Sam Baker like LT, then we could have Black, Wellbourne, and Terry fight it out for the two right line spots, with Black or Wellbourne taking at least one, of course (since Terry isn't a G). Then we need to draft two DTs, even if they are undersized. Look at what Denver got with Dumervil. In passing situations, he can line up at DT and get pressure up the middle. That would be huge for us in 3rd and long situations.

After that we need to invest in the back seven of the defense--CBs and LBs especially.

While we have a crying need at right tackle, there's a part of me that thinks back to how the Giants won it all in 1986. Most of that team was mediocre (quick - name a wide receiver on that team). However, they built up one unit into a juggernaut that couldn't be stopped, with Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Brian Kelley, and Harry Carson. We have two good defensive ends, so maybe if we eschewed everything else and got two defensive tackles by ignoring our scouts and picking guys who play well, we could win that way.

The Dumervil thing still kills me. I really, really wanted him, and the Broncos got him in the fourth round. No offense to Brodie Croyle, but I would've rather had Dumervil.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
wilson had a huge block on that long run by LJ

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow, I completely disagree on fullback. Wilson made some blocks today that were as good as, if not better than, Richardson in his prime. Wilson has become an incredible blocker.

Regardless of his performance, though, do you think he'll start next year? I don't see this team being innovative enough to do anything next year other than give the job back to a guy with "fullback" on his business card.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 04:38 PM
While we have a crying need at right tackle, there's a part of me that thinks back to how the Giants won it all in 1986. Most of that team was mediocre (quick - name a wide receiver on that team).

Phil McConkey

Mecca
12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
While we have a crying need at right tackle, there's a part of me that thinks back to how the Giants won it all in 1986. Most of that team was mediocre (quick - name a wide receiver on that team). However, they built up one unit into a juggernaut that couldn't be stopped, with Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Brian Kelley, and Harry Carson. We have two good defensive ends, so maybe if we eschewed everything else and got two defensive tackles by ignoring our scouts and picking guys who play well, we could win that way.

The Dumervil thing still kills me. I really, really wanted him, and the Broncos got him in the fourth round. No offense to Brodie Croyle, but I would've rather had Dumervil.

The Croyle pick still makes no sense for us because in the history of both Peterson and Edwards neither has ever shown any willingness to play a young QB.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Phil McConkey

I'll give you half credit for that. Name a starter now.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 04:40 PM
The Croyle pick still makes no sense for us because in the history of both Peterson and Edwards neither has ever shown any willingness to play a young QB.

Edwards played Pennington when he was young.

Pitt Gorilla
Regardless of his performance, though, do you think he'll start next year? I don't see this team being innovative enough to do anything next year other than give the job back to a guy with "fullback" on his business card.I disagree; not even Herm/Carl could screw this up. We've found an All Pro fullback on our roster, who can catch as well. As my dad would say, a blind man could see this with his cane.

ChiefsCountry
I'll give you half credit for that. Name a starter now.

I was two at the time, so I have no freaking clue.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I was two at the time, so I have no freaking clue.

I was 23, and I can't remember, either. They had Joe Morris at RB, who was a two-year wonder, and they had Mark Bavaro, who was a great TE. Simms was an average quarterback. Their DBs were perhaps okay, but Mark Collins and Elvis Patterson weren't world-beaters. Jim Burt was overrated at nose tackle, and Leonard Marshall was a good defensive end.

That team was nothing but linebackers, and they won a Super Bowl.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Realistically, this team needs ALOT of work done. We have a lot of holes. It's going to take more than a couple of years to get this thing right, IF, I say IF, we make the right moves, which we historically don't, so I really don't expect much, but I can hope.

Pitt Gorilla
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Anderson and Carthon were backs (thanks Tecmo years).

Mecca
12-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Edwards played Pennington when he was young.

Edwards stuck with Testaverde for what 3-4 years after Pennington was drafted, he rode the bench for quite awhile. He only went with Chad after Vinny had shown that without a doubt he couldn't play anymore and Edwards still stuck with him for 4 games that year.....

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 04:46 PM
we will probably turn wilson into a corner

Mecca
12-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Realistically, this team needs ALOT of work done. We have a lot of holes. It's going to take more than a couple of years to get this thing right, IF, I say IF, we make the right moves, which we historically don't, so I really don't expect much, but I can hope.

We aren't gonna do anything right, we'll do what has to be done to keep this team "in the hunt" so everyone will still buy their tickets and make Carl happy to be President.

Rain Man
I disagree; not even Herm/Carl could screw this up. We've found an All Pro fullback on our roster, who can catch as well. As my dad would say, a blind man could see this with his cane.

Perhaps I haven't noticed it in the mass of bodies that typically envelope LJ when he runs. I'd be thrilled if that hole was plugged for next year.

ChiefsCountry
Edwards stuck with Testaverde for what 3-4 years after Pennington was drafted, he rode the bench for quite awhile. He only went with Chad after Vinny had shown that without a doubt he couldn't play anymore and Edwards still stuck with him for 4 games that year.....

No Pennington was the leader in 2002, 2 years after he was drafted and they throllted the Colts in the playoffs.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 04:50 PM
We aren't gonna do anything right, we'll do what has to be done to keep this team "in the hunt" so everyone will still buy their tickets and make Carl happy to be President.

Gotta be honest in that I don't ascribe to this theory. If you want major promotion and maximization of value, nothing does that like a Super Bowl win or two. Even if this was the philosophy, there would be a strong incentive to win in the postseason.

I think the issue is more that our teams don't have a killer instinct. We get too many guys who coast through seasons.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Sadly, no one can argue with that.

It doesn't matter who is head coach, IMO, as long as Carl is running things.

PastorMikH
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't really know what our most important need is.

We need a LT. Black has been servicable, but he's probably towards the bottom of the list in starting LTs.

We need a real WR - I watch other teams and wonder why our WRs don't get that open.

We need a DT with an attitude - seriously, we need a DT who plays like a bull coming out of the shoot after getting a super-charged cattle prod energy boost.

We need a Stud CB. Both Law and Surtain are shadows of what they used to be.

How much would it cost us to trade up for picks 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the 2007 draft?

If Sheilds hangs it up (which he probably will) we will need an OG too. I'm also thinking a MLB with a major attitude wouldn't be a bad thing either. Kawika needs to get a lot meaner or we need to get someone else.

DomerNKC
12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
TrINT green has lost his burst. I am not interested in any team with him at the helm.

siberian khatru
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
We need a Stud CB. Both Law and Surtain are shadows of what they used to be.

They're not worth their salaries, but they'd look better if we had a pass rush up the middle. And maybe a safety they could count on to not step on his dick all the time.

Our DL play is just atrocious. It drags the whole damn D down.

PastorMikH
12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
They're not worth their salaries, but they'd look better if we had a pass rush up the middle. And maybe a safety they could count on to not step on his dick all the time.

Our DL play is just atrocious. It drags the whole D down.

I don't understand why we have 2 of the better CBs to have played the game in the last decade but stay with a cover-2 instead of man-to-man. It is my understanding that Cover-2 is to help weaker CBs - Law and Surtain are both pro-bowlers and shouldn't need the help. I'd like to see more Man-to-man/bump-and-run agressive play. I'd also like to see more Blitzing that would result from a safety being freed up from coverage.

Rain Man
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't understand why we have 2 of the better CBs to have played the game in the last decade but stay with a cover-2 instead of man-to-man. It is my understanding that Cover-2 is to help weaker CBs - Law and Surtain are both pro-bowlers and shouldn't need the help. I'd like to see more Man-to-man/bump-and-run agressive play. I'd also like to see more Blitzing that would result from a safety being freed up from coverage.

Can you imagine a 46 defense with DJ on one side and Bernard Pollard on the line as a strong safety? Even if our CBs have lost a step, they'd only have to cover for about 1.5 seconds.

The key to the 46, though, is that the offense can't know which guys are rushing. Gunther's schemes involve making sure that the opponents know who's rushing even if Gunther has to call their quarterback's cell phone, a strategy that I've never supported.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Free agency I would like to sign Cato June from the Colts and a WR, but there is no really good Wr's or DT's for that matter.